• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest GordieSid&Ted

Can/Should the Wings Sweep Colorado?

Rate this topic

Guest GordieSid&Ted

Watching Theodore make his first couple of saves you just had to know he was going to be toast. You can't give up 30 foot rebounds into prime areas of the ice. All you had to do was watch his rebound control early on to know we would put a beating on him. Which we did.

I thought we were far more physical and more effective with our hits, especially Kronner. Nice to see the Pain Train with a big, early hit.

Offensively they just don't have the depth.

Defensively they aren't a great puck moving team and there cycle game isn't even as good as Nashville's.

I think as a fan you always think your team is better and is going to find a way to pull it off. And you also know in the back of your mind that this is the playoffs and crazy things can happen.

People know I'm probably the furthest thing from a Wings homer around these boards but I have to say that in watching Game 1, along with knowing enough info about the Aves, I haven't felt this ho hum about a playoffs series in a long time.

I'm not trying to jinx anything here, just trying to be honest. If we don't sweep or pull this out in 5 games I will be really shocked.

Awww, you went and said the "S" word!

But seriously, I think this series will be unpredictable. Colorado made a game of it, and it will be close the whole series. Theodore was sick, so who knows how he will play when he's healthy, or how Budaj will play with all the pressure. The Wings need to play a full 60 minutes. Avs fans say the same thing about the Avs. Whoever does this will probably win the series.

I also find it funny that both Wings and Avs fans think the OTHER team lacks depth. I agree with you that their defense isnt' nearly as good as ours, but on forwards I'd say we're pretty much even. Zetterberg just needs to stop shooting backhanders at the net and take good shots.

The thing is, Detroit relies on its bag of tricks. Which is great and all, Nashville obviously didn't know how to respond. I think Colorado does. Not to mention it's the playoffs and anyone can win any game based on some slight change in the series.

Although I won't dismiss the idea of a sweep, I think that if it happens each game will be close. I'm talking like:

Game 1: 4-3

Game 2: 2-1

Game 3: 5-4 OT

Game 4: 3-2 (Maybe OT)

way to jinx it... let me clean off this thread for you 3-4.gif

hahaha

If we can come out on fire (NOT SIT BACK LIKE WE DID FOR THE 2nd and most of the 3rd) we can handle them rather easily. I am not sure how much of a hinder having Forsberg out mattered... Hedujk, Stansny and Smyth pretty much ran the show for them last night with Sakic making some decent plays. If we shut down THAT line we will be golden!

GS&T I know you meant no harm, but i blame you for our losses this series....

But on a serious note, if we play with the intensity of the 2nd and 3rd periods, then we won't win another game. I think we got lucky in game one, we hit a couple posts but so did they and JML should have buried that puck with 5 seconds left to send the game into OT.

I think we have more team chemistry and more team skill than they do, so do I think we can/should ***** them, yes; is it likely, no.

Watching Theodore make his first couple of saves you just had to know he was going to be toast. You can't give up 30 foot rebounds into prime areas of the ice. All you had to do was watch his rebound control early on to know we would put a beating on him. Which we did.

I thought we were far more physical and more effective with our hits, especially Kronner. Nice to see the Pain Train with a big, early hit.

Offensively they just don't have the depth.

Defensively they aren't a great puck moving team and there cycle game isn't even as good as Nashville's.

I think as a fan you always think your team is better and is going to find a way to pull it off. And you also know in the back of your mind that this is the playoffs and crazy things can happen.

People know I'm probably the furthest thing from a Wings homer around these boards but I have to say that in watching Game 1, along with knowing enough info about the Aves, I haven't felt this ho hum about a playoffs series in a long time.

I'm not trying to jinx anything here, just trying to be honest. If we don't sweep or pull this out in 5 games I will be really shocked.

GST i would have to agree...after watching that game it just wasn't the matchup i was hoping for. i was expecting a better avs team. maybe with foreskin out they played bad????...well thats what at least mullet brigade said.

did i miss the report BEFORE the game that Theodore was sick? i remember hearing it after the game but not before. :P

Edited by hillbillywingsfan

After the 1st period last night, I definitely agreed with you. We utterly DOMINATED. But then after the game... the fact that they were able to come back, and were so close to sending the game to OT and possibly coming out with a win, I was kind of disheartened to the idea of an "easy" series. I hope you are correct, but I expect the Avalanche to make this a series, especially when we head to Denver.

I think the wings have the tools to sweep the Avs, but I highly doubt it will happen.

We beat the Ducks 5-1 last year, and I could not fathom how they would ever come back and beat us in the series after that game, especially losing Pronger for a game.

They still seem to have a problem playing at that elite level for three full periods. The way they played that first period... it was beautiful to behold. But then they sit back (I still do not know if that is a Babcock thing or a team thing) after every lead they get and it becomes a game -- in the meantime the other team is gaining confidence and momentum.

Colorado feels good about themselves after that game. Away game, missing two top 6 forwards and despite their goalie being pulled they almost come back from a 4-1 defecit.

I would have liked to see them walk away crushed! And I feel the Wings have it in them to do so.

Wow, the Wings have a dominating start to this game, and granted looked like the better team and now we're just gonna bring up the brooms. Theo was terrible last night and Colorado as a whole didn't play that well, but there is certainly more to that team than what was shown last night. I will say that I was pretty surprised that they couldn't tie the game up as the Wings basically went into prevent-mode the majority of the third period, and that tells you something about Colorado just not clicking, but they'll come out with a more inspired effort tomorrow. If the Wings can play the way they did last night and weather the storm when they need to, there's no reason they can't take a 2-0 series lead heading to Colorado and ultimately atleast split the away games. Personally, I'm really hoping Jose is back in net if not tomorrow, than the first game in Colorado because that guy was a rebound machine.

Sadly, I've probably watched more Avs games than Wings games this year (stupid geography!) and while I am no Avs fan, whatsoever (beyond maybe Sakic), I will be the first to tell you that they are a better team than what showed up last night. Detroit is definitely the better team, but I'd be shocked if this doesn't go to 6 games. Pleasantly surprised though, of course. :D

Colorado feels good about themselves after that game. Away game, missing two top 6 forwards and despite their goalie being pulled they almost come back from a 4-1 defecit.

I would have liked to see them walk away crushed! And I feel the Wings have it in them to do so.

Agree...it's a little discouraging to me that they were able to take any kind of moral victory away from the game. They'll be feeling good about themselves (as good as possible coming off a loss) on Saturday, and all it takes is one win for them, and all of a sudden we're talking about must-wins (we'd HAVE to win one in Denver at that point).

Point being, as well as we played in the first, we were still VERY lucky to escape that one. And a series can turn on a dime.

I don't think it happens. if Theodore sucks that much Joel Q will switch

to Budaj, and Budaj himself is quite capable. at least to keep the team

in contention.

Dives have some depth to prolong this series and they as a team are

always on fire in playoffs and independent on the roster they bring

it's a tough team to beat. a sweep is highly unlikely if they manage

to solve goalie crap which I think will be OK in Game 3 at most.

their problem is their defense and Wings strong forecheck. if we play

puck possesion and pressure their 2nd and 3rd pairings we should

steal those important goals.

I'm far from drawing too much conclusions after only 1 series game

where they played without Floppa. it looked good but I expect Dives

to step up. 6 games seem more realistic to me

and remember, there's always refs who can do wonders. McCreary

yesterday was brutal but we've had enough roll to win despite it.

in a closer game some dumb Van Massenhoven may cost us

a deserved win. in other words: there's pleny hockey to be played

in this series. I'd love a sweep here but I'd never ever bet my money

on this outcome

The only thing that keeps my hopes up is that when Detroit pressed, they got 4 goals as a result. Only when they STOPPED PLAYING was Colorado able to start playing their game. If we're able to keep playing our game for a full 60 minutes, and not sit on any leads, we should be fine.

Guest Crymson

Excuse the obnoxiousness, but:

SWEEP SWEEP SWEEP SWEEP SWEEP SWEEP SWEEP SWEEP SWEEP SWEEP SWEEP SWEEP SWEEP SWEEP SWEEP SWEEP SWEEP SWEEP SWEEP SWEEP SWEEP SWEEP SWEEP SWEEP SWEEP SWEEP SWEEP SWEEP SWEEP SWEEP SWEEP SWEEP SWEEP SWEEP SWEEP SWEEP SWEEP SWEEP SWEEP SWEEP SWEEP SWEEP SWEEP SWEEP SWEEP SWEEP SWEEP SWEEP SWEEP SWEEP SWEEP SWEEP SWEEP SWEEP SWEEP SWEEP SWEEP SWEEP SWEEP SWEEP SWEEP SWEEP SWEEP SWEEP SWEEP SWEEP SWEEP SWEEP SWEEP SWEEP SWEEP SWEEP SWEEP SWEEP SWEEP SWEEP SWEEP SWEEP SWEEP SWEEP SWEEP SWEEP SWEEP SWEEP SWEEP SWEEP SWEEP SWEEP SWEEP SWEEP SWEEP SWEEP SWEEP SWEEP SWEEP SWEEP SWEEP SWEEP SWEEP SWEEP SWEEP SWEEP SWEEP SWEEP SWEEP SWEEP SWEEP SWEEP SWEEP SWEEP SWEEP SWEEP SWEEP SWEEP SWEEP SWEEP SWEEP SWEEP SWEEP SWEEP SWEEP SWEEP SWEEP SWEEP SWEEP SWEEP SWEEP SWEEP SWEEP SWEEP SWEEP SWEEP SWEEP SWEEP SWEEP SWEEP SWEEP SWEEP SWEEP SWEEP SWEEP SWEEP SWEEP SWEEP SWEEP SWEEP SWEEP SWEEP SWEEP SWEEP SWEEP SWEEP SWEEP SWEEP SWEEP SWEEP SWEEP SWEEP SWEEP SWEEP

The Wings will win the series, and then all of you can stop worrying about silly superstitions.

Taydore never impressed me all that much... super nice guy in person... but never impressed me on the ice... the only difference between him and Jim Carey is that Josay is still stopping pucks in the big leagues.

Personally the avs are better off with Boodah in net but lucky for us they will never actually start their backup!

Guest drwings1

i think goalies not being able to control rebounds have helped us already in this round, and plenty in the last round. too much mustard on those shots or what?? i thought we'd score another on budaj last night, he was awful with rebounds too, they just never seemed to bounce our way.

The Wings will win the series, and then all of you can stop worrying about silly superstitions.

You may find them silly, but alteast have some respect for the people that don't. Just because you don't believe in something doesn't mean you need to sh*t on those that do.

I knew Theodore was going to get lit up and humbled in this round. Minnesota had no offensive abilities, nothing compared to what we have, and the entire press was bragging about Theodore being 'the hot goalie of 2008'. I knew we'd score at least 3 on him.

I kind of hope they put him back in for game 2, but I have a feeling it will be their backup. Either way I'm not too worried about their goalies. I'm worried about Ozzie giving up soft goals and I'm worried about Forsberg.

The wings need to respect the Avs and not get too big-headed in this round. I said Wings in 5 and I am sticking to it.