• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
LionsAndRedwingsAndPistonsOhMy

VS Announcers

Rate this topic

Guest drwings1
No, you're not crazy, the group I was watching the game with noticed Doc emercik's non-sensical rambling as well. I think that's one of the major reasons I despise watching games on VS/NBC, they sit there...while the game is happening and talk about just the most arbitrary stuff that has almost nothing to do with the game! :rolleyes:

doc emerick, sounds like a traveling salesman from the 1800s selling cure-all tonic, and always drunk

The annoucer's for versus should step into my office........WHY?? CAUSE THEY

ARE FRICKING FIRED!!!!!! Those guys are pulling 35k salaries thinking this will segway them into commentating for the Masters next year. WTF???

They should have never fired Bill Clement. IMO, I thought that he was pretty neutral and a good comentator.

They need to keep Pierre McGuire between the benches. He is absolutely TERRIBLE in the intermission. :ranting:

I like when Emrick talks about other things... because then I don't have to hear him ruin the actual play with his idiotic words. My girlfriend asked me last night if that idiot has a checklist of non-hockey words that he makes himself run-through every night. What a moron. Anyway, him getting distracted allows me to focus on the game and not hear these stupid comments:

-he PITCHFORKS it

-he LOBS it

-he SHAKES it

-he TURNS it

-he SPINS it

-he SWAGGERS

-he KNIFES it

-a MAGICAL pass

-135 SECONDS left in the contest

-he WALKS it into the zone

-he DANGLES the puck (worst part about that one is other announcers are starting to say it)

-it's WAFFLEBOARDED aside

please add to the list, I know there are at least a QUARTER of a Billion left (doing my best to use retarded mathematical terms like that dumbass).

edit: adding to the list

What's wrong with this one?

"he oozes it into the zone" a new low.

"back in Nineteen Hundred and Ninety-Six" thanks for the history retard. good try at sounding sophisticated and distracting your viewers from the game at hand.

What's wrong with this one?

Waffleboarded is not a hockey term. It's a word that distracts the viewer from the game. Some non-hockey terms work, like "fires a shot," which is acceptable. A 4-syllable word that makes the viewer think is unnecessary. Similar to another non-hockey term that he had to throw in today...

"he SHUFFLEBOARDS it ahead." So dumb, I. HATE. HIM.

Waffleboarded is not a hockey term. It's a word that distracts the viewer from the game. Some non-hockey terms work, like "fires a shot," which is acceptable. A 4-syllable word that makes the viewer think is unnecessary. Similar to another non-hockey term that he had to throw in today...

"he SHUFFLEBOARDS it ahead." So dumb, I. HATE. HIM.

Are you aware that waffleboard is a term for blocker?

"he oozes it into the zone" a new low.

"back in Nineteen Hundred and Ninety-Six" thanks for the history retard. good try at sounding sophisticated and distracting your viewers from the game at hand.

haha Yea I remember thinking when he said the Nineteen Hundreed and Ninety-Six one, "What a jackass."

SCORRRRRRE! That moron Emrick is doing the Rangers / Pens game right now. Which means we will have someone else tonight!!!! awesome. Maybe it will be Dave Strader... that would RULE.

It's weird that I'm more excited about not having to listen to Emrick than I am about the game in general. haha.

SCORRRRRRE! That moron Emrick is doing the Rangers / Pens game right now. Which means we will have someone else tonight!!!! awesome. Maybe it will be Dave Strader... that would RULE.

Why?

Strader is decidedly against the Wings now. Atleast Emmer gets excited for both teams. I will be disappointed if Strader is doing the Wings games tonight.

Forslund and Brickley are doing the Wings game tonight.

If you don't like the commentary, mute the sound and put on music or something. The reason why they can chat is because the game is there for you to SEE, not to HEAR. Try doing hockey on radio, then we'll talk, the TV boys get a break since the action is for you to see.

some of the terms you guys are complaining about make it sound like you guys are the ones who know nothing about hockey...that or you really just have low IQ's and can't comprehend a little imagination in the english language. Get over it, they don't get paid to say "he skates in, passes, gets a pass back, passes back, stickhandles around the guy, skates more, shoots...save with his right handed blocker" damn if you guys are distracted by a guy calling a game with words that describe perfectly what is going on, you really need to wake up and find something new to complain about.

Forslund and Brickley are doing the Wings game tonight.

If you don't like the commentary, mute the sound and put on music or something. The reason why they can chat is because the game is there for you to SEE, not to HEAR. Try doing hockey on radio, then we'll talk, the TV boys get a break since the action is for you to see.

Please tell me those aren't the divealanche announcers?

:o

I like when Emrick talks about other things... because then I don't have to hear him ruin the actual play with his idiotic words. My girlfriend asked me last night if that idiot has a checklist of non-hockey words that he makes himself run-through every night. What a moron. Anyway, him getting distracted allows me to focus on the game and not hear these stupid comments:

-he PITCHFORKS it

-he LOBS it

-he SHAKES it

-he TURNS it

-he SPINS it

-he SWAGGERS

-he KNIFES it

-a MAGICAL pass

-135 SECONDS left in the contest

-he WALKS it into the zone

-he DANGLES the puck (worst part about that one is other announcers are starting to say it)

-it's WAFFLEBOARDED aside

please add to the list, I know there are at least a QUARTER of a Billion left (doing my best to use retarded mathematical terms like that dumbass).

edit: adding to the list

yeah, I really hate the whole 187 seconds left in the second, wtf is that? I'm sitting there going 60 into 180 is 3 plus.... oh whatever

in general the 'talk all over the run of play' style we here is a typical American broadcast. I do generally hear a difference when I see games on the CBC. I also watch soccer games from England (I know soccer :) ) but there is a real emphasis on the game. No gimmicks. When the color guy makes a comment it is short, concise, and to the point. THe comments are related to the style or strategy of play.

for those complaining about VS or NBC, well, this was the same under ESPN, in fact, it was worse. They even have a name for it, "storytelling play-by-play". I remember alot of games on ESPN where the color guy would literally talk non-stop for 2 or 3 minuets at a time with absolutely NO play-by-play. Darren Pang was won of the worst. So was Brian Engblom.

Another char. of the american broadcast seems to be it's complete focus on certain individuals. they will go on and on about one or two star players.

I remember watching a later game this year on VS, it was a CBC broadcast and Harry Neale was the color guy with a younger PBP guy. He was so awsome! He would make the most informative comments about the game and then let the PBP guy do his business. The emphesis was on the game. This is one of the reasons why I've heard some Canadians say Pierre Maguire is perfect for the American market: b/c he's loud and abrasive. However, this thread prooves some of us do want a simpler, more stripped-down broadcast.

Altitude is worse than VS in my mind, and it has nothing to do with the Colorado/Detroit rivalry (I don't really get worked up over "rivalries" too much). Those guys ramble on about nothing and are the defintion of homers, even more so than Ken Daniels.

Any time the opponent does anything good it's "lucky" or "catching a break," and every time Colorado does ANYTHING it's marvelous, wonderful, outstanding, a play no one has ever made before, groundbreaking, etc etc. I know many Avalanche fans who find it difficult to listen to.

this is so true :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

some of the terms you guys are complaining about make it sound like you guys are the ones who know nothing about hockey...that or you really just have low IQ's and can't comprehend a little imagination in the english language. Get over it, they don't get paid to say "he skates in, passes, gets a pass back, passes back, stickhandles around the guy, skates more, shoots...save with his right handed blocker" damn if you guys are distracted by a guy calling a game with words that describe perfectly what is going on, you really need to wake up and find something new to complain about.

too bad.

if it were possible to mute the broadcasters and only listen to rink sound, I would do it in a heart beat. I don't see why it's not possible to broadcast 5.1 sound with the HD games and put only rink sound on channels 3&4. That would rule.

Edited by pavyaz19

And keith jones beefing about the avs not getting a 5 on 3? Please.

This game was called pretty even, but the 3rd period was if nothing else in favor of the avs.

How many late, interference hits can a team throw and not get whistled...?