• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Echolalia

Game 3 strategies

Rate this topic

Whether or not you want to blame a depleated Avs team or the fact that the Wings are just better, they're up 2-0 in the series and heading into Denver. A quick reminder to you all that in the last series the Wings were in a similar situation, and ended up returning to Detroit with the series tied at two.

Now rumor has is that Theodore was sick and thats his excuse for poor play, and he should be ready to go come Tuesday. Forsberg is also expected to be playing in game 3. In any event, Quenneville has some tough decisions to make that may make or break the series.

Do you think they'll go with Budaj whos been at least solid in net when called upon, or go with Theodore, hoping to boost his confidence a bit? With Franzen having around 50% of the series' goals in addition to a couple assists, do you match your top defensive line against his, or keep it against the Dats Z, Homer line?

On the other hand, if you were Babcock, what strategies would you use to ensure a sweep?

I think you have to split Pavel and Zetterberg if Floppa is going to be playing, especially since the Dives will have last change. Quenneville will definitely be trying to get Sakic away from Z and Pavel; he has been almost non-existent up to this point in the series. I do not think you have to split Lidstrom and Rafalski though. Kronwall and Stuart can defend well enough and can also move the puck out of their zone just fine.

Filppula - Datsyuk - Holmstrom

Franzen - Zetterberg - Samuelsson

Drake - Draper - Cleary

Hudler - Helm - McCarty

Lidstrom - Rafalski

Kronwall - Stuart

Lebda - Chelios

Theodore's excuse for being sick is bunk. the people at NBC were even talking about how he was feeling better going into game 2. he probably just fell back on it cause he got rocked again. Colorado and their fans have been full of nothing but excuses.

for the Wings,

regardless if floppa was in or not, just keep doin what you're doing. drive the net, limit the Avs chances. game 3 will be an important one to win. i dont want the Avs to get any momentum back like the Preds did.

For us, I think it's more mental than anything actually. You know things like 'Don't get too high because Avs are actually better than what they seem.' 'be relentless' 'score the first goal' etc

I don't know Dives well so I don't know what they are going to do but I can only imagine what we would do if we were down 2-0 and getting outplayed badly by a superior team (lets say someone like Ducks on steroid). We would be ready to play the game of our lives and would come out very very determined.

Edited by Yemack

Splitting D and Z is probably a necessity. Z will definitely help Franzenstein's numbers, though the Mule has been doing a fine job by himself (see goal #2).

More of the same from the Wings. Game 3 must be approached with the same intensity. The Avs will probably be broken mentally with a loss on Tuesday.

That's all it is. Play hard, and play the whole game. Our losses to the preds weren't because of poor strategies or line ups, it's because we didn't play. If we can play as hard as we did last night, we'll come out on top.

I agree. Don't change a thing. Just play hard and every shift. The talent it there. Be patient and the goals will come. The Av's choice of goalie shouldn't make a difference either.

Splitting D and Z is probably a necessity. Z will definitely help Franzenstein's numbers, though the Mule has been doing a fine job by himself (see goal #2).

More of the same from the Wings. Game 3 must be approached with the same intensity. The Avs will probably be broken mentally with a loss on Tuesday.

Yepper ! if the Av's can't find a way to beat us in game 3, Stick a fork in 'em cause they are done !

I saw Maltby take pre-game skate on Saturday. I got to JLA at the end but he was out there and skating well. If he come back into the lineup, who comes out? No matter who is in the lineup, the most important thing for the Wings to do is skate hard to get back on D, put rubber on the net and crash the crease. Good things happen to teams that play hard for 60 minutes!

Babcock split up Datsyuk and Zetterberg for two games in the last series. Guess which games those were :unsure: My thought is: don't fix it if it's not broken. But he's the coach, not me :unsure:

Edited by Nero

I saw Maltby take pre-game skate on Saturday. I got to JLA at the end but he was out there and skating well. If he come back into the lineup, who comes out? No matter who is in the lineup, the most important thing for the Wings to do is skate hard to get back on D, put rubber on the net and crash the crease. Good things happen to teams that play hard for 60 minutes!

Would like to see Malts back in the lineup, but your right, who do you sit when they are playing so well. I'll be surprised if Babs changes anything..................

Babcock split up Datsyuk and Zetterberg for two games in the last series. Guess which games those were :unsure: My thought is: don't fix it if it's not broken. But he's the coach, not me :unsure:

Exactly. I wouldn't change a damn thing. We're fine.

Colorado's strategy will be to get outshot 3 to 1, and hope that their goalie stands on his head while they score some fluke goals on the other end of the ice. There's no other strategy they can have, since they're simply outclassed by our defense and our system.

Apart from player decisions what about overall strategy Do we come out and try to encourage an end to end shoot out or do we play a real defensive game plan initially then counterpunch if they over press and perhaps get some odd man rushes out of the deal

First goal is probably more important to them than us I'd say

So what's the consesus on strategy out of the gate ??

Last time the Wings were up 2-0 heading to the opponents house, there was a significant difference in our roster. Three guesses as to what it is!!

:hehe:

Hasek in net.

As for the topic, play 60 minutes, dont split up ZDH. If Maltby can go, sit Sammy, put the Grind Line back together and play them against Forsberg.

Hasek in net.

As for the topic, play 60 minutes, dont split up ZDH. If Maltby can go, sit Sammy, put the Grind Line back together and play them against Forsberg.

I don't know man. Sammy is looking good this series. I'm not sure DM has enough gas in his tank yet.................... They could put a hurtin' on PF though......

Detroit - Nothing changes, a full 60 minute effort will yield good results. The Avs cannot match the depth of the Red Wings.

Colorado - The Avs need a stronger forecheck, and will have to clog up the neutral zone to win. Joel's system right now isn't working, as the Red Wings have much more skill than the Avs do. Expect Colorado to try to jam things up and capitalize on turnovers.

I feel like the wings need to play defensively for the first 10 minutes or so, and then just slam on the accelerator. Colorado will come out hard, a lot like nashville in game 3. we weathered that storm and just blew it later. I think as long as we don;t get stuck in the defensive mind set we'll be fine.

I am a little mixed on this just cause we've been able to get on them fast the last two games and it worked great. I just don't want to see us get caught pressing forward too much trying to get that early goal, and giving up an odd man rush or some other easy chance for colorado.

Colorado really needs to play a more defense-oriented game. They made it way too easy for our forwards to go to the net in the first 2 games, they didn't block our blue line shots, and they allowed us to bring the puck in easily. They definitely need to put more pressure on our defensemen because that's where a lot of our offense is generated. As sad as it is, they'll have to play more like Nashville did against us - keep us away from the net, block our shots, and make us dump the puck in. They can't match our puck possession style.

For the Wings - they need to keep doing what they're doing. The power play needs work, but everything else is working well for them.

Colorado really needs to play a more defense-oriented game. They made it way too easy for our forwards to go to the net in the first 2 games, they didn't block our blue line shots, and they allowed us to bring the puck in easily. They definitely need to put more pressure on our defensemen because that's where a lot of our offense is generated. As sad as it is, they'll have to play more like Nashville did against us - keep us away from the net, block our shots, and make us dump the puck in. They can't match our puck possession style.

For the Wings - they need to keep doing what they're doing. The power play needs work, but everything else is working well for them.

Oddly enough they look like the old tired team we were described as a few years ago.I think their management made poor choices bringing back Forsberg and Foote It's so over for those two plus Sakic looks defeated You really wonder if he's 100% also What was the nature of his lengthy injury that kept him out this year for so long?

Hejduk has been invisible but we better watch out for him He still can burn you in a hurry occasionally

Colorado- Really needs to get on the board first. They also need to have great goalie, I am guessing Budai is going to be in the net since thats two games in a row Theodore has been pulled. Also they need to get the puck in low. As you could see what Nashville did to us they got the puck in and got a lucky bounce and someone tapped it in. They really need to block more shots. Anything can happen when you get the puck low. Also the most of them all, play 60 minutes of hockey.

Detroit- Keep doing what you have been doing.

Hasek in net.

No way should McCarty go up against Forsberg, even if it is with Draper and Maltby.