• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
rdwngnut

Hat Tricks...what happens to the hats?

Rate this topic

My wife and I had the same question during the last game. We wondered if they give them to the player or donate them to charity?

Not sure, but I came to the conclusion that no matter how many goals you score, I'd be hard-pressed to part from a $20+ hat when I already paid $50+ for admission, $15+ for parking, and probably $10+ at the concession stand. :D

My wife and I had the same question during the last game. We wondered if they give them to the player or donate them to charity?

Not sure, but I came to the conclusion that no matter how many goals you score, I'd be hard-pressed to part from a $20+ hat when I already paid $50+ for admission, $15+ for parking, and probably $10+ at the concession stand. :D

I would love to be part of the celebration by throwing a hat, but I couldn't part ways with some of my hats. maybe next time I go to a game I will bring an extra older hat I wouldn't mind parting ways with. lol.

Edited by miller76

In columbus they had a big class container that they would dump the hats throughout the entire season and then i believe they would empty it and pass it out to homeless shelters or donate them somewhere

Edited by OsGOD

I was at the Wings/Thrashers game when Hossa had a hat trick and some Thrashers fans threw their caps onto the ice. The hats were taken to the time-keepers box in-between the penalty boxes and the people were able to go down there and get their hats back.

I agree, I wouldn't throw my hat!! Sorry, they are too expensive unless I had the chance to go reclaim it.

They melt them all down and make one big hat out of them to fit the big head that the hat trick scorer will be sporting due to his, well deserved, over inflated ego for the few days following the good show of skill. Once he blows a play in the next game and is brought back down to normal size, they melt the one big hat down again and make jerseys out of it to be donated to midget pygmy hockey in New Guinea as part of the new marketing plan to spread hockey throughout the world in an effort to make it bigger than football.

Or something like that.

Haha i had a drunk guy come up to me in the concourse asking why my hat was still on my head on saturday. Ummm because its from Hard Rock Maui... and a gift from my parents.. i think i will keep it... Me mocking the entire avs bench as they were picking up the hats was my way of celebrating the hatty... I know Foote appreciated my "kind" words teehee

Do tell? What did you say? Were you close to the benches?

Haha i had a drunk guy come up to me in the concourse asking why my hat was still on my head on saturday. Ummm because its from Hard Rock Maui... and a gift from my parents.. i think i will keep it... Me mocking the entire avs bench as they were picking up the hats was my way of celebrating the hatty... I know Foote appreciated my "kind" words teehee

it would make sense if they just put all the hats in a box or lay them out on a table and let the fans get their hats back. I know some ppl may steal some hats but its better having some hope of getting your hat back than no chance at all.

I remember a game once several years back (I think it was in Montreal but I'm not sure) where Chrysler had a hat promotion. They game out white hats with their logo to the first 10,000 fans. Sure enough, a player for the home team gets a hat trick and 10,000 hats litter the ice. The announcer cracked, "They can use those hats for another promotion."

Do tell? What did you say? Were you close to the benches?

We snuck down to row four behind the bench... I was all sweet to Joe-say to get his attention when he was at the bench for TV timeouts... he would look up i would laugh and say YOU SUCK SIEVE!!!! Then with Foote and the rest of the boys we were just yelling out random stuff... kinda like wow Joey (Sakic looking at us) your team is just plain s***ty!!! Stuff like that. hehe

And its alright boys.. at least you don't have to go away from Mommy after game 4... don't even bother booking your Hotels here.... NO VACANCY

Edited by OsGOD

I remember a game once several years back (I think it was in Montreal but I'm not sure) where Chrysler had a hat promotion. They game out white hats with their logo to the first 10,000 fans. Sure enough, a player for the home team gets a hat trick and 10,000 hats litter the ice. The announcer cracked, "They can use those hats for another promotion."

I don't know if you're thinking of this game, but Brett Hull scored a hattie for the Blues in the mid-90s on a cap giveaway night (white caps as well). When these thousands and thousands of hats came cascading down in was like a blizzard! Incredible sight. I remember they ended up taking the goals off their pegs and skating them round the ice to try and collect all these hats! :D

Haha OsGOD! You guys came down and sat right next to me after I snuck down to those seats. You can see me in your group pic. I'm looking down at my phone and for some reason I look so sad!

They melt them all down and make one big hat out of them to fit the big head that the hat trick scorer will be sporting due to his, well deserved, over inflated ego for the few days following the good show of skill. Once he blows a play in the next game and is brought back down to normal size, they melt the one big hat down again and make jerseys out of it to be donated to midget pygmy hockey in New Guinea as part of the new marketing plan to spread hockey throughout the world in an effort to make it bigger than football.

Or something like that.

Now that's the best explanation I've ever heard. :yahoo:

I don't know if you're thinking of this game, but Brett Hull scored a hattie for the Blues in the mid-90s on a cap giveaway night (white caps as well). When these thousands and thousands of hats came cascading down in was like a blizzard! Incredible sight. I remember they ended up taking the goals off their pegs and skating them round the ice to try and collect all these hats! :D

Maybe you're right. As I said, I don't recall the city, but I distincly recall the Chrysler hats. And I also remember them taking the nets off the pegs, and then going around with squeegees, shovels, and trash cans to clear the ice.

I love to watch these kinds of things. So I searched for some "hats on the ice" vids.. thought i'd share:

Mike ricci hat-trick on a hat night

Rick Nash hat-trick

Patrick Marleau's hat trick in game 4 of the Sharks/Predators first round series at the tank in San Jose

I wear old hats just in case, but seriously, I think the lack of hats for Franzens hat trick was due to fear of the NHL fining Franzen for giving the fans a reason to celebrate. Octupus, hats, cheering, these are all things the NHL is trying to ban in Detroit.