• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
MississippiWing

Southern Hockey Fans

Rate this topic

Guy's I'm glad I found this forum. Living where I live there is not a lot of interest in hockey. The interest that is shown is in the Dallas Stars :scared: and the Atlanta Thrashers. :huh: Its nice to be able to get on here and chat some Red Wings hockey with you fine ladies and gentlemen. Thanks for the opportunity.

oh man,. don't even get me started. I've lived in North Carolina most of my life and up until like,...last year there was zero intrest in the sport. Now there's about 2% but hey, it's better than nothing.

Yeah man I hear you I live in Mobile, Alabama. We used to have an ECHL team here but it got relocated because of the low attendance. So after they left I got into watching the NHL. I thought the Wings played the best hockey, most exciting and every since then I've been a die-hard fan. The only time I got to see them was when they played the Thrashers a couple years ago in ATL and they won 6-2. I wish I could see them play more but I usually get to watch every game on T.V. or the Internet and of course this site is awesome It's like I live in Detroit. So I appreciate this site as well. Go Wings!

well there wasn't much interest here until Biloxi, MS got an ECHL team. Then interest picked up. Thats where I was interested from. I turned on tv one day and saw this guy with a funny name Yzerman. I loved the way he played. He was the best I had seen. The rest is all Red Wings history. Now I go to my local Buffalo Wild Wings to watch the game on the one tv they carry it on. :lol:

Yeah man I hear you I live in Mobile, Alabama. We used to have an ECHL team here but it got relocated because of the low attendance. So after they left I got into watching the NHL. I thought the Wings played the best hockey, most exciting and every since then I've been a die-hard fan. The only time I got to see them was when they played the Thrashers a couple years ago in ATL and they won 6-2. I wish I could see them play more but I usually get to watch every game on T.V. or the Internet and of course this site is awesome It's like I live in Detroit. So I appreciate this site as well. Go Wings!

ahh the Mobile Mysticks or as we used to call them the Mystakes. Good to hear some local folks on here. There is one thing that is universal no matter where we are. Forsberg and the rest of the Av's suck.

ahh the Mobile Mysticks or as we used to call them the Mystakes. Good to hear some local folks on here. There is one thing that is universal no matter where we are. Forsberg and the rest of the Av's suck.

Just so you know, that kind of talk on these boards will get you nothing but a fan base. Oh, and flattery will get you everywhere on here, so just bother even trying it. :P

yep its pretty weird loving hockey when youre from a southern state. i feel so weird just thinking that when im in north carolina people care much more about nascar than hockey.

Totally, my girl was back home last week in Montana and she went to 2 different bars where she asked for the Wings game and they said no, Nascar is on so she said eff you I'll take my money elsewhere.

Finally she got to a place that would let her watch the game and the people were saying "Why didn't we watch hockey before? Lots of hitting, fighting (this was the game where McCarty fought) this is sweet!"

Sometimes you just need to open people's minds.

I have the same problem here in Jersey. It's either, "Oh, hockey's still going on?" or "How are the Flyers doing?" while I'm wearing my friggin' WINGS jersey...I don't get why it's ALWAYS confused for a Flyers jersey around here. Even my orthodontist did it yesterday (while his assistants corrected his grievous error even before I was able to...I like them! :lol:).

There's a pretty good mix of hockey fans down here, most of them Stars fans (obviously). But since I live in a college town, there's kids from all over. And, since I play hockey there's always people at the rink to talk with. One guy on my team is an Avs fan, I'm going to have some fun with him :D

Totally, my girl was back home last week in Montana and she went to 2 different bars where she asked for the Wings game and they said no, Nascar is on so she said eff you I'll take my money elsewhere.

Finally she got to a place that would let her watch the game and the people were saying "Why didn't we watch hockey before? Lots of hitting, fighting (this was the game where McCarty fought) this is sweet!"

Sometimes you just need to open people's minds.

One of these days someone will explain to me what the fascination is with NASCAR. It's the biggest fraud I've ever seen. Well, besides Peter Forsberg.

One of these days someone will explain to me what the fascination is with NASCAR. It's the biggest fraud I've ever seen. Well, besides Peter Forsberg.

Send that explanation to me as well. I just don't get it.

I can watch pretty much any other sport, but not that one. Watching 40 rednecks make 2000 left turns isn't entertaining to me in the least.

I can watch pretty much any other sport, but not that one. Watching 40 rednecks make 2000 left turns isn't entertaining to me in the least.

I broke my knee and was on the couch for 3 months I watched Cricket, Curling, for f***'s sake I think I watched an eating competition. The one thing I couldn't watch and don't understand is Nascar, I mean I get F1, they:

1. make turns of varying direction

2. make turns of varying degree

3. have inclines and declines that are not(edit) geared towards helping the driver make a turn

and other reason.

But my family loves NASCAR when I go back to Maine to visit, they(Including my sister and her hubby) watch the time trials on Friday night, I go out drinking with my friends, watch the junior series (some up and coming guys some guys from the circuit but not the veterans, again I don't get it) Saturday night, I go out drinking with my friends.

Then Holy s*** Sunday comes and the race is on, I just leave for NH before the race starts!

Edited by Opie

Guest nutz2u

Sitting in front of a TV for hours watching a bunch of guys turn left????????

I think its because people that go to the event or watch it on TV are too drunk to understand what the hell is actually on. Nascar is the lamest excuse of a sport there is.

They shore do likes them sum cars. Yeeeeeehaaaaaaawwww! :crazy:

Shooot, get me out to a roundy round on a hot Summer day and I'm happier'n pole cat in the garbage can out behind the Dew Drop Inn on fridge cleanin' day.

Guest CaliWingsNut
I have the same problem here in Jersey. It's either, "Oh, hockey's still going on?" or "How are the Flyers doing?" while I'm wearing my friggin' WINGS jersey...I don't get why it's ALWAYS confused for a Flyers jersey around here. Even my orthodontist did it yesterday (while his assistants corrected his grievous error even before I was able to...I like them! :lol:).

Wings + no knowledge of hockey = flyers!

However off topic... Dentist's are hilarious to me. Most doctor visits are (not taking the reason I'm there into account). I listened to my childhood dentist talk about the difference between crocs and alligators for 21 years before he retired. All because I mentioned the differences (most major being teeth) when I was probably young enough to be lifted in the dentist's chair.

They all (at least the successful ones) make it seem like they remember you (when they see 60 people a day).

I don't understand it either. I live in a farming community in the thumbish area of Michigan and everybody LOVES Nascar. I just don't get what makes watching a bunch of guys driving fast and making constant left turns exciting. I guess it might be better in person but I highly doubt it.

I have considered putting a number 19 sticker on the back window of my pickup. But then i realized that people will just think it's nascar, I'm still going to do it, just have Yzerman written above it.

I would like to know the explanation as well.

EDIT: I have tried to watch NASCAR, I never succeed. Most of the time I only watch it if Josh Turner is singing the national anthem [i LOVE HIM], then when he's done I change the channel.

Edited by mooose kiiisses

I'm a Grand Rapids native currently living just outside of Niceville, Florida (yep, real city name) which is a little more than an hour east of the ECHL Pensacola Ice Pilots for those times when we want to see live hockey.

We know a couple of other Wings fans down here that are part of the great Michigan disapora (1970s to present) and have a good Directv/ Center Ice set up, so it's actually not bad.

I know where Niceville is!

I have lived in the New Orleans area all my life minus five years in college in the Dallas-Fort Worth area. A few weeks ago I moved a little north of the city closer to my job to the town you see on my little mini profile below the Swedish Chef.

Honestly, the whole hockey isn't popular thing down where we're from doesn't really bother me. I like the sport, and that's good enough for me.

More often than not when I was living more in the city in New Orleans I watched games in the comfort of my own home, but I found a few bars/restaurants here and there which were open to putting games on assuming they didn't conflict with any big local sports that day and didn't give you a hard time.

Where I currently live now, VS is actually local here (available in just Digital Cable in New Orleans), and while hockey will never be the main squeeze here, the couple of places I've gone out to for dinner or drinks since I moved here have shown the playoffs where I didn't really have to ask/prod to put it on. Again, not going to be all that popular but still, there's some awareness that it's around.