• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
DetroitYZ19

Out of town wings fans!

Rate this topic

Hey Everyone,

I was wondering to get everyones opinion on this topic.

I am a loyal Wings fan in Pittsburgh. Have always been and always will be. Now, every year around playoff time, people get on me when the wings lose...which is understandable, and all in good fun. But this year, the Pens are doing really well, and it could be a very possible stanley cup matchup Wings vs Pens. So, everyone like to talk even more...

My question to everyone, especially those out of town fans, is wheres the line? Do you just take the verbal shots in stride or go back and forth wtih people that are like arguing with a wall, and whom you'll never win? I'm sure some of you have some good advice on this topic.

GO WINGS!!

im more of a look at the scoreboard type but if these stupid ottawa fans keep on me then ill take it to them about their post season success and their penchant for getting their asses kicked by my other team: THE LEAFS!

im more of a look at the scoreboard type but if these stupid ottawa fans keep on me then ill take it to them about their post season success and their penchant for getting their asses kicked by my other team: THE LEAFS!

:lol: So true. I always get a laugh when Sens fans have "advice" on what's needed to succeed in the playoffs.

Hey Everyone,

I was wondering to get everyones opinion on this topic.

I am a loyal Wings fan in Pittsburgh. Have always been and always will be. Now, every year around playoff time, people get on me when the wings lose...which is understandable, and all in good fun. But this year, the Pens are doing really well, and it could be a very possible stanley cup matchup Wings vs Pens. So, everyone like to talk even more...

My question to everyone, especially those out of town fans, is wheres the line? Do you just take the verbal shots in stride or go back and forth wtih people that are like arguing with a wall, and whom you'll never win? I'm sure some of you have some good advice on this topic.

GO WINGS!!

I say if you are truely a d-town fan you kick it ghetto style... whip out the glock and end it right then and there... DETROIT ROCKS!!!! You don't like Detroit? I bust a cap in your ass punk

or

just mouth off like many do on here... its fun and a nice stress reliever for the everyday grind of work ;)

Edited by OsGOD

I live in Denver. I don't usually initiate anything. I'll proudly wear my Wings hat around town but that's about it. It's been years since anyone has made a comment outside the Pepsi Center until the last week. The comments around town recently are just simple 'Go Avs' or 'Red Wings Suck' remarks as they are walking past so no need for a response. When at a game at the pepsi center I'll stay pretty low keyed for the most part. There is almost constant 'Red Wings Suck' chants during a game so there's no point in replying. The one thing I was doing at the game on Tuesday which really got under some local's skin was to, after the WIngs scored a goal, stand up and start yelling 'Red Wings Suck' myself...basically making fun of them. It seemed to catch them off guard and make 'em feel pretty stupid.

So I generally keep it to a minimum...but it is all part of the fun...whether you're giving it or getting it.

I realize that sometimes that's the price you pay for being an out of town Wings fan, let alone an out of town fan of any team. But sometimes, people take it over the edge i.e. send me a txt everytime they get scored against, and it starts to irritate me, so rather than fight, i just ignore them.

I went to a game in Buffalo wearing my Datsyuk jersey this year and it was for the most part pretty civil. I was however accosted by one man with a long pony tail and missing teeth who thought it was extremely clever to call me Datsuck. I think he said "Hey Datsuck, Go Sabres!"...I pretty much just laugh it off when that stuff like that happens, but if people want to get really critical I will whip out so many stats about how great the wings are and how terrble their team is that it will make their head spin.

Here in San Francisco, I also quietly and proudly represent my Wings fandom with shirts, hats, jerseys, etc. I don't get much flack for it typically. In fact, I get more positive feedback ("go wings!") than negative. In the case that someone does yell something about the Wings sucking or somesuch, I usually smile and take it as a positive. At least that means someone else here is rooting for a hockey team, and not stuck on the Raiders, 49ers, Giants or A's.

Sharks fans are surprisingly respectful about things (a testament in part, I think, to having one of the better run organizations for the past decade), and if they have anything to say, it's usually respectful and often a precursor to an actual hockey conversation.

The exception is at the Shark Tank. There, unless you shell out for great seats, you're surrounded by the usual assortment of zhlob and drunken idiots. Those, I tend to ignore.

Ive been a wings fan my whole life. Right now though, living in LA, its fun to talk crap on hockey fans. See, a "bandwagon fan" can also be called a "ducks fan." So I love to go to every wings vs ducks game and I talk to much s*** its ridiculous. In fact, it is so fun because these so called "fans" think they actually have a clue about hockey, when they are actually complete morons who think its cool to root for the ducks because they represent the OC.

Usually its pointless to argue about hockey with anyone in SOCAL, they just dont have any idea what the game is about. So I take anything that is said about my beloved wings with a grain of salt.

I am a California Wings Fan, who, ironically, grew up in San Jose. According to my friends and family, I am the biggest traitor who has ever lived. I get heckled all the time for "selling out", and I just let it go in one ear and out the other. I'm proud to be a wings fan, so nothing they say really bothers me. And, considering the Sharks win/loss record in the Dallas series, none of them seem to have to much to say at the moment! I just try to take the jabs lightly and remember it's all in good fun.

Try being a Red Wings fan in Nashville - it's tough. Everything revolves around beating Detroit here and making sure the people who have moved here from the north know they are not welcome. At least a lot of people on here are transplanted to other cities with knowledgeable hockey fans. That's not the case here. If I knew I stood a chance of having a good-hearted back to back ribbing with a Predators fan, that would be fine. We're season ticket holders because we love hockey. I'm from Michigan so I love the Red Wings and continue to cheer for them. This season, I had a guy spit on me for simply standing/clapping when Detroit scored a goal. I'm fairly reserved and don't shout or do anything to draw attention to myself. My six-year-old stepson wore a Hasek jersey to the game on Thanksgiving day and a lovely gentleman behind us told him that I was a child abuser and should go to prison for allowing him to wear that jersey. He's six, he started to cry and wanted me to buy him a different shirt at the Pro Shop so he could take the Hasek jersey off. He's refused to wear it again. At the final playoff game of round one in Nashville, one member of the row that sits behind us told us that he'd rather see our seats empty next year than to have our northern butts sitting in them. Wise words from a fan of a team that needs all the support they can get just to keep their team in town.

I LOVE this message board. I LOVE the knowledge of those who post and the good-natured jabs that take place. Thank you for allowing an escape to the negativity of Nashville hockey.

GO RED WINGS!

I say if you are truely a d-town fan you kick it ghetto style... whip out the glock and end it right then and there... DETROIT ROCKS!!!! You don't like Detroit? I bust a cap in your ass punk

or

just mouth off like many do on here... its fun and a nice stress reliever for the everyday grind of work ;)

That my friend was a very HARDCORE answer!!

Cleveland is ridiculously apathetic towards hockey, even with a division rival in state and the Avs' AHL team in town, I don't think I've ever heard more than one or two negative comments. I actually get a "go Wings" from random people maybe once a month or so.

Actually, when I was up in the D for a game back in March, some guy said "Red Wings suck, go Leafs" right behind Cheli's. The NCAA basketball regionals were going on, so it's entirely possible he wasn't local. I answered "see you in the playoffs." I'm not sure if he realized I was mocking his team for not making the playoffs, but whatever.

Nice thing about being a Wings fan: you have scoreboard privileges on almost everyone. I don't flaunt it, but I'll give it back if provoked.

I live in Virginia. Not a whole lotta Hockey fans aroung here to worry about. I do take an occasional visit to MCI center when the Wings (rarely) play the Caps. The D/C fans can be tough, but me and my # 33 hold our own. It doesn't hurt that I'm 6' 3" 240lbs. Seems to detour most . It is very hard to be humble sometimes when you are the oldest and the best franchise. And you know people love to see the best lose..........I grew up in Motown , downriver. Spent about 25 years there before the weather got the best of me. You can take a man outta Detroit, but you can't take Detroit out of a Man...........(ain't poppin' no caps , but I do stand proud for my team)

yeah, I'm a wings fan in TX. My wife and I go see the wings when they come to Dallas. We were there for the 1-0 loss in February. We both had our jerseys on, and after the game, a stars fan came up to me to ask if we were ok, or needed any help dealing with the loss. I calmy explained, we'll just go back home and remind ourselves that the wings still owned a double digit lead over the rest of the NHL.

The sober stars fans are pretty cool before/after. It's just realling annoying when they yell STARS! everytime the word stars is sung during the national anthem.

Edited by captainsteviey

I've been a Wing's fan for over a decade now, previously being a Leafs fan (not by choice, just by geography), and I was always harrassed by my father and his friends. they would always ask him "what did you do, drop the kid on his head?"... but in the last 5 years or so it seems that the criticism has pretty much stopped. my father now will not even watch the leafs, and his friends for the most part just ask where they can get a Wings jersey :D

Wheres the line ? I guess where ever you draw it in the sand. Most depends on how much crap you are willing to take. Some will take alot more than others. Allot of it depends on age and tolerence..............................( or lack of either)

For me its easier to take it from actual hockey fans that know what they are talking about. I hate listening to some idiot talk about how the Wings suck and they no nothing about hockey and can't back up their 'argument'.

I also hate listening to Bhawk's fan do it. Don't blame the Wings because your team sucks.

The thing I've learned is when you go to a game, pick your battles wisely. Really ascess the people around you, and you'll figure out who you can banter back and forth with, and who you can't. Good nature ribbing is fun, and all part of the experience, but some will take it too far. Don't take on all challengers, you can't win them all. Remember, you are the minority. If you keep your cool, the knuckleheads will usually make a complete ass of themselves, and the home crowd will turn on them. This comes from 12 years experience from going to games in Denver.

My twins got a taste of the "playoff" experience @ the can Tuesday night, and they learned a lot! My 12 year old and I are waiting in line to take a leak, and this guy is busting on him. "Oh look, Its- Yzer-woman", Redwings suck! look he's even wearing a tigers hat, what a bunch of losers" Etc... after we talk back and forth to each other about what a jerk this guy is being, Jeremy (my son) turns around and says " The last time I checked, the Red-wings are still winning, again, and the tigers have a better record than the Rockies. If you really what to give me crap, at least talk about the Lions, they really do suck, and probably always will." To which everyone in the restroom cheers and gives him a round of applause, and just gives it to that guy.

A proud "father" moment, I've taught him well.

I

Edited by Wing-in-avs-town

Wheres the line ? I guess where ever you draw it in the sand. Most depends on how much crap you are willing to take. Some will take alot more than others. Allot of it depends on age and tolerence..............................( or lack of either)

I've tried going back and forth with my friends before, and that really gets me nowhere. Now, i just let them talk and ignore them. They will try txting me when the wings lose or something stupid like that and i'll just not respond. I've found out that that's the best way because all they want to do is get me all fired up, and if i dont play their game, I win. Like the poster at the bottom said, you have to pick and choose your battles. I guess thats the best way of looking at it. Anyone else agree?

I've never been spit on or anything like that thankfully. Thats taking it way too far...

Its funny getting crap from the Leafs fans here in the Maritimes (which is pretty much 70-75% of the hockey fans we have here), they celebrate so much in the regular season and when I mock them for missing the playoffs, their only comebacks are "Yeah well you'll be knocked out of the first round again this year" or something along those pathetic early exit lines.

Other than that, the remainder is Habs fans and I surprisingly know 2 Isles fans (which is quite a thing to behold when you live on PEI. Not much crap flinging there, except for the over confidence of Habs fans.

I tend to play it cool, let the on ice play do the talking for me.

The first time I went to a wings game in boston, they lost. To top it off we are leaving the building and my G/f asks me to hold her Purse while she put on her jacket. edit: In case you missed why I added the bit about her purse, you can imagine the s*** yelled to me while wearing my jersey and holding a pocket book!!!!

But the last time the wings owned the B's, and again I played it cool, but the moment some drunk dumb B's fan yelled "red Wings Suck" all I said was Scoreboard.

Now the best part about this is that more often than not the building is 50% wings fans or more. So they all know my pain, the minute they heard my(and my buddy's, credit where credit is due) scoreboard chant, they all knew what was going down. The whole back stairway was ringing with the beautiful sound of

SCORE BOARD!!!!!!!!

SCORE BOARD!!!!!!!!

Power in numbers baby!

Edited by Opie

I live in Nashville, so I get crap from alot of people. Most of the time, I only trash-talk when its between me and my friends. If I'm at the game or some random place, I let the play do the talking. Unless someone says something really stupid or starts getting physical (people throwing stuff etc.), then I tend to get involved.