68 replies to this topic

#21 DetroitYZ19

DetroitYZ19

Rookie

• Pip
  • 190 posts

Posted 01 May 2008 - 02:11 PM

QUOTE (va Winger @ May 1, 2008 - 02:56PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Wheres the line ? I guess where ever you draw it in the sand. Most depends on how much crap you are willing to take. Some will take alot more than others. Allot of it depends on age and tolerence..............................( or lack of either)

I've tried going back and forth with my friends before, and that really gets me nowhere. Now, i just let them talk and ignore them. They will try txting me when the wings lose or something stupid like that and i'll just not respond. I've found out that that's the best way because all they want to do is get me all fired up, and if i dont play their game, I win. Like the poster at the bottom said, you have to pick and choose your battles. I guess thats the best way of looking at it. Anyone else agree?

I've never been spit on or anything like that thankfully. Thats taking it way too far...

#22 Wings3:16

Wings3:16

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts

Posted 01 May 2008 - 02:32 PM

Its funny getting crap from the Leafs fans here in the Maritimes (which is pretty much 70-75% of the hockey fans we have here), they celebrate so much in the regular season and when I mock them for missing the playoffs, their only comebacks are "Yeah well you'll be knocked out of the first round again this year" or something along those pathetic early exit lines.

Other than that, the remainder is Habs fans and I surprisingly know 2 Isles fans (which is quite a thing to behold when you live on PEI. Not much crap flinging there, except for the over confidence of Habs fans.
Wings in 2013...Bring the Cup back to Hockeytown!

#23 Wing-in-avs-town

Wing-in-avs-town

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 743 posts

Posted 01 May 2008 - 03:08 PM

QUOTE (va Winger @ May 1, 2008 - 02:56PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Allot of it depends on age and tolerence..............................( or lack of either)

Or alcohol beerchug.gif
The early bird may get the worm, but it's the 2nd mouse that gets the cheese.

#24 Opie

Opie

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 7,420 posts

Posted 01 May 2008 - 03:49 PM

I tend to play it cool, let the on ice play do the talking for me.

The first time I went to a wings game in boston, they lost. To top it off we are leaving the building and my G/f asks me to hold her Purse while she put on her jacket. edit: In case you missed why I added the bit about her purse, you can imagine the s*** yelled to me while wearing my jersey and holding a pocket book!!!!

But the last time the wings owned the B's, and again I played it cool, but the moment some drunk dumb B's fan yelled "red Wings Suck" all I said was Scoreboard.

Now the best part about this is that more often than not the building is 50% wings fans or more. So they all know my pain, the minute they heard my(and my buddy's, credit where credit is due) scoreboard chant, they all knew what was going down. The whole back stairway was ringing with the beautiful sound of

SCORE BOARD!!!!!!!!

SCORE BOARD!!!!!!!!

Power in numbers baby!

Edited by Opie, 01 May 2008 - 03:50 PM.

"The more I know about people - the better I like my dog." - Mark Twain

"A wise man once told me, ‘Don’t argue with fools. Cause people from a distance can’t tell who is who'." Jay Z, Takeover

"When I was looking for a captain, I wanted a guy with the Red Wings crest tattooed on his chest," said former Detroit coach Jacques Demers, who named Yzerman captain in 1986. "Steve Yzerman was that guy."

“Told him if he wasn't ultra-competitive he couldn't come here. If he didn't bring it every day he couldn't come here, because he was going to hate it if he didn't, dislike the coach and dislike playing here.
“It's real straightforward. If you don't do it right, you're not happy here." Babcock

#25 RedFX

RedFX

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,182 posts

Posted 01 May 2008 - 04:09 PM

I live in Nashville, so I get crap from alot of people. Most of the time, I only trash-talk when its between me and my friends. If I'm at the game or some random place, I let the play do the talking. Unless someone says something really stupid or starts getting physical (people throwing stuff etc.), then I tend to get involved.
-15-
Posted Image
"I don't like to be the pony. I like to be on top." -Pavel Datsyuk

#26 NHLrules?

NHLrules?

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 947 posts

Posted 01 May 2008 - 05:16 PM

Im in Chicago and go see the wings here at least 3 times a year.

I will take all verbal shots and fire some back, for me the line is crossed when you touch me.

Then game on.

#27 SaCkaveli20

SaCkaveli20

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,088 posts

Posted 01 May 2008 - 05:29 PM

Well I live in Canada, fairly close to Toronto. So I get a lot of hate from the Leaf Nation..But it doesn't really faze me too much.
I just remind them, they've missed the postseason 3 straight years haha and this is our..what...17th straight year?

BoooYA!!!!

#28 Donaldjr2448

Donaldjr2448

LETS GO REDWINGS!!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,065 posts

Posted 01 May 2008 - 05:29 PM

QUOTE (Ilovedupas @ May 1, 2008 - 01:31PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Try being a Red Wings fan in Nashville - it's tough. Everything revolves around beating Detroit here and making sure the people who have moved here from the north know they are not welcome. At least a lot of people on here are transplanted to other cities with knowledgeable hockey fans. That's not the case here. If I knew I stood a chance of having a good-hearted back to back ribbing with a Predators fan, that would be fine. We're season ticket holders because we love hockey. I'm from Michigan so I love the Red Wings and continue to cheer for them. This season, I had a guy spit on me for simply standing/clapping when Detroit scored a goal. I'm fairly reserved and don't shout or do anything to draw attention to myself. My six-year-old stepson wore a Hasek jersey to the game on Thanksgiving day and a lovely gentleman behind us told him that I was a child abuser and should go to prison for allowing him to wear that jersey. He's six, he started to cry and wanted me to buy him a different shirt at the Pro Shop so he could take the Hasek jersey off. He's refused to wear it again. At the final playoff game of round one in Nashville, one member of the row that sits behind us told us that he'd rather see our seats empty next year than to have our northern butts sitting in them. Wise words from a fan of a team that needs all the support they can get just to keep their team in town.

I LOVE this message board. I LOVE the knowledge of those who post and the good-natured jabs that take place. Thank you for allowing an escape to the negativity of Nashville hockey.

GO RED WINGS!

I live in Columbia Tennessee! And I am a huge Wings fan. I simply don't go to games there in Nashville just for that reason, in fact I don't go to Trashville at all, unless I have to. I find it better just to sit at home and watch the games. I have been in verbal fights, and almost fist fights. I found that it is simply not worth it. If thats what they want then fine, because the only time the use to sell out was when the Wings come to town, so guess what this year not every Wings game was sold out (excluding playoffs). They have no idea how much they hang off our nut sacks to keep that BS team here in s***ville, if it wasn't for the NHL welfare checks their wannabe players would have to have visas to play at Joe Louis. I hate Nashville's people, town and teams!!! Sorry For getting emotional, but I hate these people!!

#29 Wings_fan_in STL

Wings_fan_in STL

MichiganMan/IrishState

• Pip
  • 152 posts

Posted 01 May 2008 - 05:30 PM

I'm from Detroit but I live in Tucson, for the most part the only people that I run into that even recognize the winged wheel are other people from michigan. so I don't get much attitude. But one time I did run into a Pens fan and he was talking a lot of junk, so I told him to come back once his team starts playing defense. He replyed "we got the best player in the league." I told him that Alex O doesn't even play for the Pens. Then since this was during Jiu Jitsu session, I choked him.

#30 Donaldjr2448

Donaldjr2448

LETS GO REDWINGS!!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,065 posts

Posted 01 May 2008 - 05:31 PM

Sorry for the double post, but I had to get this off my chest!! I hit the wrong area when typing, that is what happens when you lose control!! LOL GO WINGS!!!!

I live in Columbia Tennessee! And I am a huge Wings fan. I simply don't go to games there in Nashville just for that reason, in fact I don't go to Trashville at all, unless I have to. I find it better just to sit at home and watch the games. I have been in verbal fights, and almost fist fights. I found that it is simply not worth it. If thats what they want then fine, because the only time the use to sell out was when the Wings come to town, so guess what this year not every Wings game was sold out (excluding playoffs). They have no idea how much they hang off our nut sacks to keep that BS team here in s***ville, if it wasn't for the NHL welfare checks their wannabe players would have to have visas to play at Joe Louis. I hate Nashville's people, town and teams!!! Sorry For getting emotional, but I hate these people!!

#31 VladyIBELIEVE16

VladyIBELIEVE16

Your Red Wings Nation West President

• HoF Booster
  • 4,458 posts

Posted 01 May 2008 - 05:37 PM

RED WINGS SUCK

Your Retort

COUNT OUR CUPS!
Don't worry about losing. If it's right, it happens. The main thing is not to hurry. Nothing good gets away. Steinbeck
Dance is nothing until it's on a beautiful body - Wade Robson
What you do speaks so loud that I cannot hear what you say. - Ralph Waldo Emerson
In life as in the dance: Grace glides on blistered feet. - Alice Abrams

#32 Tennessee Wing Fan

Tennessee Wing Fan

Rookie

• HoF Booster
  • 105 posts

Posted 01 May 2008 - 06:09 PM

QUOTE (Donaldjr2448 @ May 1, 2008 - 06:31PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Sorry for the double post, but I had to get this off my chest!! I hit the wrong area when typing, that is what happens when you lose control!! LOL GO WINGS!!!!

Believe me brother, I know exactly what you mean. I am in Chattanooga about 130 miles southeast of the Nashville Numbnuts.

My family and I quit going to hockey games in Nashville several years ago and will NEVER go there again. I'll admit, I awoke with a smile on my face every morning during the rumble over their team leaving town. I detest the ignorant Predators fans. You would think that they would welcome having "butts in seats" since their attendance was one of the major issues with keeping the team in town. Instead, a visiting fan that has the audacity to support "the other team" is subject to nothing but abuse. I am a female and I really don't enjoy getting into arguments with total strangers. So much for that southern gentleman BS. The men are the biggest harassers. Like you, Donald Jr., I would much rather watch the games from home than go back to that dreadful place.

Also, my eyes want to bleed when I see those obnoxious shiny Preds sweaters stretched across a 300 pounders beer gut. No thanks, I will enjoy the game from the comfort of my own home and chat with my fellow Wing fans on LGW. Thank you again, Matt for creating such a wonderful site!

Let's GO Wings!!!
"What I get paid for is the practices. I would play the games for nothing."
~ Tim Horton

#33 Ilovedupas

Ilovedupas

Draftee

• 10 posts

Posted 01 May 2008 - 06:27 PM

Donald Jr. and Tennessee Wing Fan - thanks for your posts. I feel extremely relieved to know that others feel the same way I do. I was willing to give Nashville a chance by being a full season ticket holder this past season, but after all is said and done, the anxiety level I feel going to the Sommet Center is too high. I'm a female too and don't quite have the "presence" to intimidate any of these people. The guy who spit on me though, it was right on the top of my head and his wife did smack him for it. Common sense prevented me from smacking him myself.

Thanks again you guys!

#34 Wings_Toledo

Wings_Toledo

Seeing Red

• PipPipPipPip
  • 799 posts

Posted 01 May 2008 - 06:32 PM

Here in Cincinnati there aren't many hockey fans at all anyway. Although I have run into a few people wearing my Wings hat that go, "Red Wings? Uhh..." then they usually all explain that they're Sharks fans. Outside of that, no one here cares about hockey except for the Cyclones...

And even then I'm not sure people noticed that they were gone...

#35 SouthernWingsFan

SouthernWingsFan

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 24,609 posts

Posted 01 May 2008 - 06:36 PM

QUOTE (DetroitYZ19 @ May 1, 2008 - 12:10PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hey Everyone,

I was wondering to get everyones opinion on this topic.

I am a loyal Wings fan in Pittsburgh. Have always been and always will be. Now, every year around playoff time, people get on me when the wings lose...which is understandable, and all in good fun. But this year, the Pens are doing really well, and it could be a very possible stanley cup matchup Wings vs Pens. So, everyone like to talk even more...

My question to everyone, especially those out of town fans, is wheres the line? Do you just take the verbal shots in stride or go back and forth wtih people that are like arguing with a wall, and whom you'll never win? I'm sure some of you have some good advice on this topic.

GO WINGS!!

I'm not one to ever get into the whole trash talking thing, it's not my thing and I don't let others doing it get to me.

There's nothing wrong with a good ribbing or rubbing it in to your friends obviously, or vice versa once or twice as long as you are being respectful.

It's when you do it after the 17th time is when it gets annoying and I want to smack you upside the head then. I heard you the first and second time.

We often hear about being a gracious loser and not being sour or angry, it should work the other way around to. Be a gracious winner, if there is such a thing. laugh.gif

Edited by SouthernWingsFan, 01 May 2008 - 06:37 PM.

#36 Yzerfan1999

Yzerfan1999

Hall-of-Famer

• Silver Booster
  • 2,451 posts

Posted 01 May 2008 - 06:42 PM

I have established myself as a pretty crazy Wings fan among my friends - all my friends associate the Red Wings with me - so they give me s*** when the Oilers beat them, but they know that I actually get offended if they push it too far. Besides, there isn't much to make fun of the Wings for, all they do is win and consistently threaten to win the Cup.

When you lose, say little. When you win, say less.

--Thanks for the Sig. Offsides--

#37 Tennessee Wing Fan

Tennessee Wing Fan

Rookie

• HoF Booster
  • 105 posts

Posted 01 May 2008 - 06:48 PM

QUOTE (Ilovedupas @ May 1, 2008 - 07:27PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Donald Jr. and Tennessee Wing Fan - thanks for your posts. I feel extremely relieved to know that others feel the same way I do. I was willing to give Nashville a chance by being a full season ticket holder this past season, but after all is said and done, the anxiety level I feel going to the Sommet Center is too high. I'm a female too and don't quite have the "presence" to intimidate any of these people. The guy who spit on me though, it was right on the top of my head and his wife did smack him for it. Common sense prevented me from smacking him myself.

Thanks again you guys!

Sounds like there may be another Polish Redwings fan here in the sunny south!

The anxiety of which you speak is my exact emotion when we were going there. I have never felt that way about going to any other arena to see the Wings play. Nashville is a very peculiar place. Only a few fans understand anything at all about hockey. The "Cellblock", as they call it, is one of the most bizarre groups of people I have ever seen. It's as though they aren't there to watch the game, but to scream nasty remarks in unison. I just don't get it.

Anyway, know that you have a friend here who totally agrees with you about Preds fans.

Edited by Tennessee Wing Fan, 01 May 2008 - 06:49 PM.

~ Tim Horton

#38 Krystal

Krystal

Hank's My Hero

• PipPipPip
  • 736 posts

Posted 01 May 2008 - 07:22 PM

QUOTE (Ilovedupas @ May 1, 2008 - 06:27PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks again you guys!

You are amazingly patient. If that'd happened to me at Savvis (now Scottrade) when the Wings played the Blues, I'd have turned around and decked somebody. Girl or no, I'd never take that from somebody.

I only went to one game out East against the Blues, and we completely whaled on 'em. Scottrade is usually about 50/50 though, with so many transplants from different areas. Though I never would banter/mouth off with anyone other than my dad's best friend, a huge Blues fan and St Louis native.

I did manage to get security called on me and my dad though before the game. There's a picture over in the "Post your Picture" thread in the Water cooler of my dad and I, in Blues and Wings jerseys respectively, looking like we're about to pound each other. I guess some other guy walking down the street freaked and alerted security. The guy just shook his head - as we were flanked by a skinny lady in a Blues jersey (with a camera) and a short kid, completely out of place, in a Flyers Brind'Amour jersey. If that obviously wasn't family ribbing, I don't know what is.

And it's a SHAME they'd tease your child to the point of tears over his jersey. Seriously, people like that need to be evaluated. I understand they're not Wings fans, but good grief. There's a difference in joking and just being a plain d-bag..

#39 Ilovedupas

Ilovedupas

Draftee

• 10 posts

Posted 01 May 2008 - 07:23 PM

I never thought anyone would question "dupa." My grandma was Polish and thus taught us words we probably shouldn't have known as young children. Maybe I should have picked "Ilovepeva" - that's beer, right?

#40 Tennessee Wing Fan

Tennessee Wing Fan

Rookie

• HoF Booster
  • 105 posts

Posted 01 May 2008 - 08:20 PM

QUOTE (Ilovedupas @ May 1, 2008 - 08:23PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I never thought anyone would question "dupa." My grandma was Polish and thus taught us words we probably shouldn't have known as young children. Maybe I should have picked "Ilovepeva" - that's beer, right?

Yep, Piwo is beer.

I wasn't questioning your screen name, I just recognized it as Polish. I think it is a great name! biggrin.gif

Get your cold Piwo ready and toast a Wings sweep tonight. goal.gif

Let's GO Wings!!!
~ Tim Horton