• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

redwinger4747

What should we do about Maltby?

Rate this topic

With a week off, Maltby should be completely healthy for the conference finals. Do you guys thing we should play him or leave Helm in the lineup? Personally, I think we should play him. Taking nothing away from Helm who has played well, Maltby just brings too much experience and grit to not have in the lineup. I know everyone will say don't mess with a winning lineup, but that shouldn't be followed blindly when improvements can still be made. What we shouldn't mess with are the top two lines. Both are on fire and need no tinkering. That doesn't mean we can't tinker with the 3rd line. Cleary has been struggling a little, not playing poorly, just struggling to get points. I'd like to put the Maltby-Draper-Cleary line back together. Why not since they were so great last year. Plus the Draper-Drake-Cleary line hasn't been outstanding. So I like

Zetterberg Datsyuk Holmstrom

Samuelsson Franzen Filppula

Cleary Draper Maltby

McCarty Drake Hudler

Thoughts?

With a week off, Maltby should be completely healthy for the conference finals. Do you guys thing we should play him or leave Helm in the lineup? Personally, I think we should play him. Taking nothing away from Helm who has played well, Maltby just brings too much experience and grit to not have in the lineup. I know everyone will say don't mess with a winning lineup, but that shouldn't be followed blindly when improvements can still be made. What we shouldn't mess with are the top two lines. Both are on fire and need no tinkering. That doesn't mean we can't tinker with the 3rd line. Cleary has been struggling a little, not playing poorly, just struggling to get points. I'd like to put the Maltby-Draper-Cleary line back together. Why not since they were so great last year. Plus the Draper-Drake-Cleary line hasn't been outstanding. So I like

Zetterberg Datsyuk Holmstrom

Samuelsson Franzen Filppula

Cleary Draper Maltby

McCarty Drake Hudler

Thoughts?

I may be the only one to say this, but I say sit him.

I like the chemistry we have going on right now, and I didnt miss him one bit.

If he plays though, im sure all will be fine.

Don't change a damn thing.

We're winning, and winning well. Helm deserves to keep his place in the line-up. What kind of message does Babcock send if he sits a kid who is playing well for a washed-up veteran whose best play was 5 seasons ago?

This is really a tough one. A nice problem, to be sure, but a problem nonetheless.

I really like Malts, but I can't see that he is enough better than anyone else to warrent playing him in their place.

I guess I would say that he sits for sure the first game in the next round, and then takes the place of anyone who is not 100% (except Hanky, Panky and the Crease-Crashing Tanky).

Injuries are bound to happen at some point, no matter how hard we hope not to see them. I say use Malts as a go-to guy for injuries, or even if we are up 3 games to 0 or 1, put him in for someone who needs a break. They won't admit they need one, but you know how it is in the playoffs. Guys will play with IV bags if they can get away with it.

I do hope he gets the chance to play in at least one post-season game, just for old times' sake. I know nostalgia doesn't win cups, and I'm not saying we should do anything to threaten our run for the cup, but if we're winning and it's a pretty good certainty that we will outplay the team again, let Malts join the party.

I would say play him in Game 2 or 3 simply because there will be a "freshness factor", but otherwise I think he's smart enough to understand that you don't tinker with a good thing.

If malts were not to get into any game this year in the playoffs and the Wings won the cup, would he get his name on the cup or not? I can't remember the rules.

yes, he would. If you have played at least 42 games in the regular season, you get your name on the Cup as long as you're still on the team.

In most scenarios, Maltby would easily be in over Helm or McCarty.

The Wings however have won 6 in a row with pretty much the same lineup in since game 5 of Nashville, and dominated 2 of those wins.

There is no need to drastically change anything if they are currently playing like they are and are healthy.

The Wings however have won 6 in a row with pretty much the same lineup in since game 5 of Nashville, and dominated 2 of those wins.

There is no need to drastically change anything if they are currently playing like they are and are healthy.

No way Malts plays over Helm with Helm playing like he is. Malts sits until somebody starts playing poorly or gets banged up. Sorry Malts, but the best players play.

Malts has been a staple on this team for years. He has earned the right to play. So he's not the huge offensive threat or the fastest , best guy on the ice. However, he has proven grinding ability, great PK and an all around balanced forward. I say no way he doesn't play in the WCCS.

Edited by va Winger

That argument doesn't hold up since Lilja played last night for Chelli, even though we were on a roll before then.

I think in the end Babcock will sit McCarty for Maltby, but that's just my hunch.

Hard to argue with changing the lineup since these players have gotten you on this roll but I think Malts brings more to the table than DMac. Maltby can give you key minutes on the penalty kill so some of the more skilled players can get some rest during those situations.

Should McCarty REALLY be playing over Maltby?

Yes, because the *lines* are working. Inserting Maltby even to simply play in Mac's spot will change the chemistry that line has been gaining with each other. There is absolutely *no* reason to change anything when your team has won its last 6 games and currently has the longest unbeaten streak in the playoffs.

That argument doesn't hold up since Lilja played last night for Chelli, even though we were on a roll before then.

I think in the end Babcock will sit McCarty for Maltby, but that's just my hunch.

I'm fairly certain SWF was referring to the forward lines, which haven't changed all series.

Edited by Never Forget Mac #25

we have done good without him but dammit he deserves his spot.it seems like d-mac is slow and always looking toward the bench like what should i do.he dont look the same anymore.

i thought downey deserved a game or 2....is he still even on the team?

we have done good without him but dammit he deserves his spot.it seems like d-mac is slow and always looking toward the bench like what should i do.he dont look the same anymore.

i thought downey deserved a game or 2....is he still even on the team?

Of course he is. He continues to be a healthy scratch.

Malts has been a staple on this team for years. He has earned the right to play. So he's not the huge offensive threat or the fastest , best guy on the ice. However, he has proven grinding ability, great PK and an all around balanced forward. I say no way he doesn't play in the WCCS.

have you watched the games? do you see how much chemistry this fourth line has? there is absolutely no reason for them to break that line up.

Put the grind line back together! hahaha ;)

seriouslly tho, It would be amazing to think we could roll through dallas, as we did the Avs. There will be a time in the next series when Babs needs to shake things up and then he can put Mats back in the line up.

Yup... I think he should play.

Before his injury, Maltby was playing *really* good hockey... do you remember?

If he can be at that level, he has the ability to make much more of a difference than McCarty or Helm. If not, sit him. This is probably not a game-breaking decision, so I do want to see who is able to play best in this situation.