Game 4 blowout to lure Brunnstrom?

• Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

#1 barnettkid14

barnettkid14

redwings4life!!!

• 24 posts

Posted 02 May 2008 - 01:34 PM

Hey guys, I don't see any postings on this but does anyone think Holland and Babcock pushed the Wings to try to run up the score? I mean, a player that the majority of the NHL is tying to sign was there to meet the team. I think that may be why the Wings didn't slow things down after getting up by 3 or 4 goals. What does everyone else think??

#2 drwscc

drwscc

I drink your milkshake...I drink it up!!!!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,289 posts

Posted 02 May 2008 - 01:37 PM

If anything, that game illustrates why Brunnstrom WON'T get the top 6 playing time he's looking for here in Detroit. The top two lines were dominant, and most, if not all of them are locked up or soon will be. He has no place on either of those lines, especially not if he's trying to blackmail his way up there.

He'd definitely have to spend a season or so down in GR, and he's already indicated he has no desire for that. I see him bound for a perennial loser if he wants guaranteed top 6 minutes. Wings don't need him.
Faith is to believe what you do not yet see; the reward for this faith is to see what you believe.

I went to a doctor the other day, and all he did was suck blood out of my neck. Never go see Dr. Acula
- Mitch Hedberg

#3 12Newf

12Newf

Newf

• PipPipPip
  • 744 posts

Posted 02 May 2008 - 01:37 PM

i think that had nothing to do with it. this is a professional hockey team and they try to win every game the same way regardless of who is watching from the stands.

#4 Nightfall

Nightfall

My goal is to deny yours!

• Gold Booster
  • 3,756 posts

Posted 02 May 2008 - 01:38 PM

Brunnstrom is going to do what he wants. The blowout won't sway his decision one way or the other. I am sure he was looking at the class of the organization, coaches, ownership, and so on.

If he was at the New York/Pitt game last night, and was in the ownership box of the penguins, I think he would have been turned off by the slewfoot move of Malkin that got him a 10 minute minor. Those kinds of classless acts are probably the things that would sway his decision to move away from a city instead of to it.
Christopher Brian Dudek
My Domain

#5 Amberoonie

Amberoonie

FRANZENSTEIN

• Pip
  • 51 posts

Posted 02 May 2008 - 01:39 PM

The Wings didn't slow things down, because every other time we've become lax, it bites us in the ass. Why would we bother taking it easy on them?

#6 barnettkid14

barnettkid14

redwings4life!!!

• 24 posts

Posted 02 May 2008 - 01:40 PM

QUOTE (Nightfall @ May 2, 2008 - 03:38PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Brunnstrom is going to do what he wants. The blowout won't sway his decision one way or the other. I am sure he was looking at the class of the organization, coaches, ownership, and so on.

If he was at the New York/Pitt game last night, and was in the ownership box of the penguins, I think he would have been turned off by the slewfoot move of Malkin that got him a 10 minute minor. Those kinds of classless acts are probably the things that would sway his decision to move away from a city instead of to it.

I'm not saying he's going to sign because of this one game, all I'm saying is that the guys may have been trying a bit harder since he was in attendance.

#7 Z and D for the C

Z and D for the C

This is the TBL forum, right?

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,033 posts

Posted 02 May 2008 - 01:41 PM

I doubt he had any affect on the game last night. Hell I'd be surprised if the players even knew he was there.

But maybe the game made him think about the wings a bit more. I don't see why he definitely must have a season or two in GR, providing he's good enough. That said though i don't see him in a wings jersey at the end of the year.

Edited by Z and D for the C, 02 May 2008 - 01:43 PM.

Just cause you look like the gimp don't mean you play like the gimp!

#8 OsGOD

OsGOD

Legend

• Bronze Booster
  • 9,314 posts

Posted 02 May 2008 - 01:42 PM

I think the running up the score had everything to do with the fact that Whine Gretzky wasn't the coach... so he wouldn't complain!

Just one chance is all i ever wanted...just one time i'd like to win the game...from now on i'll take the chance if i can have it...just one just one

#9 Nightfall

Nightfall

• Gold Booster
  • 3,756 posts

Posted 02 May 2008 - 01:46 PM

QUOTE (barnettkid14 @ May 2, 2008 - 02:40PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm not saying he's going to sign because of this one game, all I'm saying is that the guys may have been trying a bit harder since he was in attendance.

Hrm...its possible. Look at how hard teams play when its a jersey retirement night or special guests are in the audience or being honored. Maybe the Wings were trying to impress him. However, I think that they were just playing to win the game and have this series over and done with. Having him around had nothing to do with it.

If it really did, then the Wings should pay him to stick around for the next month. smile.gif

Christopher Brian Dudek
My Domain

#10 McCartyFanForLife

McCartyFanForLife

Hall-of-Famer

• Gold Booster
  • 2,167 posts

Posted 02 May 2008 - 01:47 PM

The Wings didn't let up because the Avs sat back and watched them play the final 2 periods. The Wings can't just play with the puck in their own zone for 2 periods. The Avs sat back so the Wings pushed forward.

#11 Redwingsfan18

Redwingsfan18

Enemies, then teammates, now enemies again for the next 12 years

• Silver Booster
  • 404 posts

Posted 02 May 2008 - 01:50 PM

QUOTE (barnettkid14 @ May 2, 2008 - 12:34PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hey guys, I don't see any postings on this but does anyone think Holland and Babcock pushed the Wings to try to run up the score? I mean, a player that the majority of the NHL is tying to sign was there to meet the team. I think that may be why the Wings didn't slow things down after getting up by 3 or 4 goals. What does everyone else think??

Not in a million years. Some prospect in attendance has no hindrance on how our boys play - and if it does, then shame on them, they should play that hard all the time lol. In all reality, the Wings could just do no wrong and the Avs caught no breaks. The better team won the series, and dominated the finale and that had nothing to do with Brunnstrom.
In Kenny I trust.

#12 NeverForgetMac25

NeverForgetMac25

Kate: Jr. Wing Nut

• Gold Booster Mod
  • 18,184 posts

Posted 02 May 2008 - 01:54 PM

QUOTE (Nightfall @ May 2, 2008 - 01:38PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I completely agree. I don't think last night's outcome holds any bearing on what Brunnstrom does. He'll take a number of factors into his decision but an 8-2 blowout score (I would think) isn't one of them.

Edit: (Kelsey) Grammar

Edited by Never Forget Mac #25, 02 May 2008 - 01:56 PM.

It's amazing how much clarity comes when you care more about the Red Wings than any individual player.

"They are the best team in the world. They are a team that can just take over when they want to," Chicago's Patrick Kane said (of the Detroit Red Wings).

#13 datsyukonethree

datsyukonethree

Damn we're sweet.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,191 posts

Posted 02 May 2008 - 01:56 PM

QUOTE (drwscc @ May 2, 2008 - 02:37PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If anything, that game illustrates why Brunnstrom WON'T get the top 6 playing time he's looking for here in Detroit. The top two lines were dominant, and most, if not all of them are locked up or soon will be. He has no place on either of those lines, especially not if he's trying to blackmail his way up there.

Go watch the interview with him on TSN.ca. It's pretty obvious that the parading and guarantee-seeking are all a function of his agent, who's trying to cash in as big as he can. In the interview it's pretty apparent that Brunnstrom is tired and frustrated with the whole charade. He even said he's ready to work to earn an NHL roster spot, and that he's not sure he's NHL ready. Brunnstrom is an athlete. He wants nothing more than to put all the politics behind him and get to playing.
Pads for legs: $1500.
Glove for hand: $400.
Mask for face: $150.
Having a Slinky for a spine: priceless.

[Has been scolded by moderators for making Marxist comments.]

#14 stud_defenseman

stud_defenseman

Fear the Beast!

• PipPip
  • 224 posts

Posted 02 May 2008 - 02:02 PM

Someone here on LGW mentioned that Brunnstrom admitted he may not be as ready for the NHL as his agent is professing. In all likelyhood I wouldn't be surprisd if this is a case of some money grubbing agent trying to talk this kid into making some poor decisions. After watching Detroit dominate last night maybe he is realizing that he may not have the skill to perform at the level his agent is suggesting. Just looking at Franzenstein shows you how you gain success by working your way up (he wasn't drafted until the age of 25). He may want to sign with Detroit just for the fact that so many young players as of late have become successful in our system. If anyone has a source on what brunnstrom said, please list a source, I would like to see it for myself.

#15 stud_defenseman

stud_defenseman

Fear the Beast!

• PipPip
  • 224 posts

Posted 02 May 2008 - 02:03 PM

QUOTE (datsyukonethree @ May 2, 2008 - 02:56PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Go watch the interview with him on TSN.ca. It's pretty obvious that the parading and guarantee-seeking are all a function of his agent, who's trying to cash in as big as he can. In the interview it's pretty apparent that Brunnstrom is tired and frustrated with the whole charade. He even said he's ready to work to earn an NHL roster spot, and that he's not sure he's NHL ready. Brunnstrom is an athlete. He wants nothing more than to put all the politics behind him and get to playing.

ya, what you said.

#16 Nightfall

Nightfall

• Gold Booster
  • 3,756 posts

Posted 02 May 2008 - 02:24 PM

If this was rec league hockey and an elite player was looking to break into the beginner division, score 5 goals a game, and have 100+ goals in 20 games or so, then it might matter. The reason I mention this is the top team in my beginner/intermediate ice hockey division has 2 players that used to play D1 ice hockey. They went undefeated last season and lost in the 2nd round of the playoffs.

I just found out today that they added another player that used to play in the AHL. I love it. tongue.gif

Anyway, this is the NHL where you are looking for a job in a sense. You are coveted by many workplaces (teams) and some of them are going to make you an offer. You will want to work (play hockey) at a place that is enjoyable. So do you go after the big paycheck or do you take a discount to play for a chance at a cup?

Thats what I think Bruunstrom is going to need to decide.
Christopher Brian Dudek
My Domain

#17 Nero

Nero

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,523 posts

Posted 02 May 2008 - 02:27 PM

It's not the team that needs to impress Fabian. Fabian needs to impress the team.

#18 T-Ruff

T-Ruff

BAMF

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,727 posts

Posted 02 May 2008 - 02:29 PM

I don't think "running up the score" had anything to do with impressing Brunnstrom or anybody.... It had to do with the fact that this is the NHL, a professional sport, and while, obviously, you would play your best players less to avoid injury, you don't stop playing just because the other team does..... In my opinion no pro sports team should ever intentionally "slow things down" in that sense......

It was like when Canada's women's national team beat Italy's 16-1 (or something like that) and Italy's coach commended the Canadian coaching staff and players for playing their best to the final whistle so that the Italian team and players could take the full experience and learn from it and use it to make them better in preparation for any future international events.....

#19 WingsZR2

WingsZR2

Play for this and nothing else

• PipPip
  • 430 posts

Posted 02 May 2008 - 02:42 PM

QUOTE (stud_defenseman @ May 2, 2008 - 02:02PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
In all likelyhood I wouldn't be surprisd if this is a case of some money grubbing agent trying to talk this kid into making some poor decisions.

He'd get the same entry level contract regardless of where he signs.
Youth and enthusiasm will only take you so far. I'd rather be old and smart than young and dumb any day.

Except for Darren Helm, he's a badass.

#20 Konnan511

Konnan511

#FreePulkkinen

• HoF Booster
  • 10,339 posts

Posted 02 May 2008 - 03:52 PM

QUOTE (Nightfall @ May 2, 2008 - 03:24PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If this was rec league hockey and an elite player was looking to break into the beginner division, score 5 goals a game, and have 100+ goals in 20 games or so, then it might matter. The reason I mention this is the top team in my beginner/intermediate ice hockey division has 2 players that used to play D1 ice hockey. They went undefeated last season and lost in the 2nd round of the playoffs.

I just found out today that they added another player that used to play in the AHL. I love it. tongue.gif

Anyway, this is the NHL where you are looking for a job in a sense. You are coveted by many workplaces (teams) and some of them are going to make you an offer. You will want to work (play hockey) at a place that is enjoyable. So do you go after the big paycheck or do you take a discount to play for a chance at a cup?

Thats what I think Bruunstrom is going to need to decide.

For the last time! Every team is offering the EXACT same contract to him. He can only make first year money. Money has absolutely NO baring on this kid. It is 100% on what city he likes the best and what franchise can give him the best future security and where he would feel the most comfortable.
The Best Of BC
HankthaTank
- Squirrels, they hate to be thrown. / Why is the magical unicorn named Brian... Jedi - I just downloaded the "kids" book, "Go the F--k to Sleep" as narrated by Samuel L. Jackson on my kindle. I am now ready to be a daddy. / *Checks Router* No, I'm positive I didn't hit the "Wings Defense Sucks" button. Electrophile - I'm just glad the Wings were able to win despite the Curse of Brian. ACallToArms - I think Trey needs to put something about payroll tax and deferred income in his sig... Edicius - I'd rather [have] a soundbite of me saying "I like (man sausage)" rather than "I like Crosby".