• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

96warrior

Monday practice notes/Flippula not on ice

Rate this topic

http://redwingscorner.blogspot.com/

Red Wings Monday practice

The Wings have just taken the ice after two days off. The only thing of note is that Valtteri Filppula is not on the ice. Not sure why at this point. I'll update after practice.

Instead of just subbing in someone on the second line, however, coach Mike Babcock has juggled his lines as though Filppula wasn't going to play. Here's the line combinations being used right now ...

Datsyuk-Zetterberg-Holmstrom

Cleary-Franzen-Samuelsson

Drake-Draper-Maltby

Hudler-Hartigan-McCarty

Downey

Lidstrom-Rafalski

Kronwall-Stuart

Lebda-Chelios

Meech-Lilja

Osgood

Hasek

Howard

Babcock moved Cleary up from the second line to the third line and inserted Maltby onto the third line. If Filppula is healthy, obviously he'll bein the lineup for Thursday's Game 1.

That's interesting that Filppula wasn't on the ice today. We haven't heard of any injury issues with him, but there obviously has been talk about him not stepping up his game in the playoffs. That being said, he does have 5 points (2G, 3A) in 10 games this postseason). Either way, if he is healthy you gotta think he'd be on the ice. Perhaps just a little bug or a little bruised up.

BTW, I think you meant to say Cleary was moved up from the third line to the second line.

Edited by Never Forget Mac #25

Why should he?

Because he has busted his ass every time he is on the ice all season long. Now a guy comes in late in the season and takes his spot? Total BS if you ask me.

EDIT Spelling

Edited by Real1

Why should he?

Indeed. Maltby will be in before Downey.

Helm out of the lineup, too...

On a related note: Maltby replacing him..? Personally I'm not too keen on that idea, Helm has been solid.

Because he has busted his ass every time he is on the ice all season long. Now a guy comes in late in the season and takes his spot? Total BS if you ask me.

Not if the player that's taking his spot can bring more to the table than Downey. Regardless of him "busting his ass", if he's not as talented and doesn't bring as much to the team as another guy, than he shouldn't be in.

EDIT Spelling

i understand the sentiment, i like downey, but the whole point of deadline acquisitions is to upgrade your team, and sometimes people who have been there all season lose playing team ... obviously the coaches think mac brings something to the table that downey doesn't, and i don't see any reason to fix what ain't broke ...

Hartigan for Helm....me's thinking something is fishy. There is absolutely no reason to put Hartigan in over Helm unless he's injured. With Filp not on the ice and Hartigan in Helm's spot, I wonder if Babs isn't checking other lines to see if he can get some other consistency if the current ones happen to struggle.

Not if the player that's taking his spot can bring more to the table than Downey. Regardless of him "busting his ass", if he's not as talented and doesn't bring as much to the team as another guy, than he shouldn't be in.

Plus, if it ain't broke...

Hopefully Flip is just getting another day since he had the tender groin in the 1st round, could have flared up. Hartigan for Helm, no thank you. I would prefer Helm playing with one arm tied behind his back over Hartigan.

I'm guessing Bruce typed Haritgan but meant Helm.

That would make sense. You gotta wonder if that isn't corrected/updated in the next couple hours though. Usually when a writer makes an error like that and a comment/email-to-the-auther occurs its corrected pretty quickly. That being said, there are "0 Comments" at this point.

Edit: (Kelsey) Grammar

Edited by Never Forget Mac #25

That would make sense. You gotta wonder if that isn't corrected/updated though in the next couple hours though. Usually when writer makes an error like that and a comment/email-to-the-auther occurs its corrected pretty quickly. That being said, there are "0 Comments" at this point.

I posted a comment but I'm sure he's watching practice at the moment.

EDIT Spelling

Busting your ass can only take you so far. Helm is in because he is a way better hockey player. I don't care whether Downey can scrap, he is probably one of the slowest skaters on the team, which is not exactly a good compliment to his stone hands. I would much rather have Drake and Helm because they have more rounded skill sets. Helm has had some great scoring oppurtunities, and you wouldn't get any of that from Downey. I am really really sick of people wanting Downey in, as much as I like the guy as an enforcer, he is not a good hockey player.

EDIT Spelling

Sentimental reasons are not acceptable for someone to play. I say the same with McCarty; Mac brings more to the table than Downey. Downey played more than 42 games in reg. season so if the Wings win, he'll still get his name on the Cup. We're winning with the combo we have right now, why change it?

Post-practice update

I spoke with Valtteri Filppula. He downplayed his injury, saying that he "just didn't skate today" and that "hopefully" he'll be ready for Game 1.

Kirk Maltby, who will be in the lineup if Filppula can't go, said "When called upon, just be ready ... that's my job."

Well the no Flip worries me a little. He's played very well. I think the Wings could be ok without but would much rather have him in there the way this team has been going. And I sure hope Helm is in too. As for Flip if it's not too serious he still has till Thursday to feel better. The one nice thing about having to wait that long.

Edited by StevieY9802