46 replies to this topic

#21 stud_defenseman

stud_defenseman

Fear the Beast!

• PipPip
  • 224 posts

Posted 05 May 2008 - 11:13 AM

QUOTE (Real1 @ May 5, 2008 - 11:42AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Because he has busted his ass every time he is on the ice all season long. Now a guy comes in late in the season and takes his spot? Total BS if you ask me.

EDIT Spelling

Busting your ass can only take you so far. Helm is in because he is a way better hockey player. I don't care whether Downey can scrap, he is probably one of the slowest skaters on the team, which is not exactly a good compliment to his stone hands. I would much rather have Drake and Helm because they have more rounded skill sets. Helm has had some great scoring oppurtunities, and you wouldn't get any of that from Downey. I am really really sick of people wanting Downey in, as much as I like the guy as an enforcer, he is not a good hockey player.

#22 Steve Levy Sucks

Steve Levy Sucks

Prospect

• 37 posts

Posted 05 May 2008 - 11:17 AM

I don't care who is in the lineup, Babcock has proven to me that he knows what lines work and which one's don't. I'd love to see Malts back in, but with the way Helm has been playing I don't know how you could do that.

#23 McCartyFanForLife

McCartyFanForLife

Hall-of-Famer

• Gold Booster
  • 2,167 posts

Posted 05 May 2008 - 11:22 AM

Because he has busted his ass every time he is on the ice all season long. Now a guy comes in late in the season and takes his spot? Total BS if you ask me.

EDIT Spelling

Sentimental reasons are not acceptable for someone to play. I say the same with McCarty; Mac brings more to the table than Downey. Downey played more than 42 games in reg. season so if the Wings win, he'll still get his name on the Cup. We're winning with the combo we have right now, why change it?

#24 96warrior

96warrior

3rd Line Checker

• HoF Booster
  • 499 posts

Posted 05 May 2008 - 11:28 AM

Post-practice update
I spoke with Valtteri Filppula. He downplayed his injury, saying that he "just didn't skate today" and that "hopefully" he'll be ready for Game 1.
Kirk Maltby, who will be in the lineup if Filppula can't go, said "When called upon, just be ready ... that's my job."

#25 StevieY9802

StevieY9802

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,529 posts

Posted 05 May 2008 - 11:28 AM

Well the no Flip worries me a little. He's played very well. I think the Wings could be ok without but would much rather have him in there the way this team has been going. And I sure hope Helm is in too. As for Flip if it's not too serious he still has till Thursday to feel better. The one nice thing about having to wait that long.

Edited by StevieY9802, 05 May 2008 - 11:29 AM.

#26 Heaton

Heaton

Oh noez

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 9,311 posts

Posted 05 May 2008 - 11:29 AM

Bruce corrected it, Helm is still in.
Moral victories are for losers.

#27 40#1Fan

40#1Fan

4th Line Grinder

• HoF Booster
  • 275 posts

Posted 05 May 2008 - 11:32 AM

QUOTE (Heaton @ May 5, 2008 - 11:29AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Bruce corrected it, Helm is still in.

http://redwingscorner.blogspot.com/

Thanks to all who caught the Hartigan/Helm mistake. It has been corrected below. Darren Helm centered the fourth line at practice today. Mark Hartigan did not.

#28 TCfan1340

TCfan1340

Jr. Prospect

• 27 posts

Posted 05 May 2008 - 11:35 AM

In the 3rd period of the last game Babcock sat the top line all but a couple of shifts at the begining. About half way through the period, Holmstrom started playing on Franzen's line and Fil didn't play again. I didn't see him get hurt, and he was out there for the handshakes... but I thought at the time he was probably hurt or sick.

#29 McCartyFanForLife

McCartyFanForLife

Hall-of-Famer

• Gold Booster
  • 2,167 posts

Posted 05 May 2008 - 11:39 AM

QUOTE (TCfan1340 @ May 5, 2008 - 12:35PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
In the 3rd period of the last game Babcock sat the top line all but a couple of shifts at the begining. About half way through the period, Holmstrom started playing on Franzen's line and Fil didn't play again. I didn't see him get hurt, and he was out there for the handshakes... but I thought at the time he was probably hurt or sick.

F'ing Theodore; figured if he was going down he was going to try to take someone with him...

#30 40#1Fan

40#1Fan

4th Line Grinder

• HoF Booster
  • 275 posts

Posted 05 May 2008 - 11:46 AM

QUOTE (96warrior @ May 5, 2008 - 11:28AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Post-practice update
I spoke with Valtteri Filppula. He downplayed his injury, saying that he "just didn't skate today" and that "hopefully" he'll be ready for Game 1.
Kirk Maltby, who will be in the lineup if Filppula can't go, said "When called upon, just be ready ... that's my job."

Bruce has further updated his posting:

Coach Mike Babcock said that Filppula is "just about ready to play."

#31 40#1Fan

40#1Fan

4th Line Grinder

• HoF Booster
  • 275 posts

Posted 05 May 2008 - 12:18 PM

from MLIVE:

http://www.mlive.com/redwings/

Update from Monday's practice: Forward Valtteri Filppula didn't skate because of a twisted leg he sustained in Game 4 vs. Colorado. But he said he feels better and expects to play in Game 1 Thursday.

Defenseman Chris Chelios practiced and said he'll be ready to play. He missed the last game with what he called a lower-body injury.

#32 Frozen-Man

Frozen-Man

Thanks for the memories

• Gold Booster
  • 1,579 posts

Posted 05 May 2008 - 12:32 PM

QUOTE (McCartyFanForLife @ May 5, 2008 - 11:39AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
F'ing Theodore; figured if he was going down he was going to try to take someone with him...

Its bad when NHL teams resort to biological warfare. bad.gif

"Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience." - Mark Twain

#33 va Winger

va Winger

Rookie

• HoF Booster
  • 112 posts

Posted 05 May 2008 - 12:44 PM

QUOTE (Steve Levy Sucks @ May 5, 2008 - 12:17PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I don't care who is in the lineup, Babcock has proven to me that he knows what lines work and which one's don't. I'd love to see Malts back in, but with the way Helm has been playing I don't know how you could do that.

Yeah, just catching up on this thread. I love Malts to play too, but you have to leave those decisions to the one's getting paid to make 'em.................................

#34 wingslogo19

wingslogo19

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,234 posts

Posted 05 May 2008 - 12:52 PM

Hopefully it's nothing major for Flips.. And I don't like not seeing Helm there dry.gif
IPB Image

#35 Frozen-Man

Frozen-Man

Thanks for the memories

• Gold Booster
  • 1,579 posts

Posted 05 May 2008 - 12:54 PM

QUOTE (wingslogo19 @ May 5, 2008 - 12:52PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hopefully it's nothing major for Flips.. And I don't like not seeing Helm there dry.gif

Helm is in there it was just a typo.

"Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience." - Mark Twain

#36 Viperar

Viperar

Hall-of-Famer

• Gold Booster
  • 4,048 posts

Posted 05 May 2008 - 12:56 PM

I am glad that Helm is still in instead of Hartigan. As for Flip...I am still not completely sold on him, but for the sake of keeping a winning line up together, I am glad he is probably going to be ok.
IPB Image
IPB Image

#37 motorcitykid

motorcitykid

Red Wings DJ

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,465 posts

Posted 05 May 2008 - 01:08 PM

EDIT Spelling
D-Mac > Downey.

#38 selkie

selkie

Beach Bum

• PipPip
  • 398 posts

Posted 05 May 2008 - 01:29 PM

So in playoffs-speak, what does a twisted leg work out to? Slight concussion? Cracked ribs? Undisclosed shoulder injury?

#39 grimace1970

grimace1970

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 316 posts

Posted 05 May 2008 - 01:33 PM

QUOTE (selkie @ May 5, 2008 - 12:29PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
So in playoffs-speak, what does a twisted leg work out to? Slight concussion? Cracked ribs? Undisclosed shoulder injury?

Well, I thought "groin" really meant "feet" for Floppa, so maybe we're all being honest now?

#40 Konnan511

Konnan511

#FreePulkkinen

• HoF Booster
  • 10,339 posts

Posted 05 May 2008 - 01:47 PM

QUOTE (grimace1970 @ May 5, 2008 - 02:33PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Well, I thought "groin" really meant "feet" for Floppa, so maybe we're all being honest now?

LOL, i don't know why, but this really made me laugh!
The Best Of BC
HankthaTank
- Squirrels, they hate to be thrown. / Why is the magical unicorn named Brian... Jedi - I just downloaded the "kids" book, "Go the F--k to Sleep" as narrated by Samuel L. Jackson on my kindle. I am now ready to be a daddy. / *Checks Router* No, I'm positive I didn't hit the "Wings Defense Sucks" button. Electrophile - I'm just glad the Wings were able to win despite the Curse of Brian. ACallToArms - I think Trey needs to put something about payroll tax and deferred income in his sig... Edicius - I'd rather [have] a soundbite of me saying "I like (man sausage)" rather than "I like Crosby".