• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
sticknmove

Downey wins "Most Improved/Comeback Fighter" of the Year

Rate this topic

I don't know if this has been posted or not, it wouldn't surprise me if it has. But either way I figured it would be worth putting up again that with the polls about to close Aaron Downey has absolutely run away with the "Most Improved/Comeback Fighter" of the year category over at Hockefight.com's end of the year award voting. He has over 50% of the total votes which is something especially seeing as though there is 6 candidates in the category. Here is the link if you are interested:

-2007-08 Most Improved/Comeback Fighter

It also should be noted that Detroit finally broke its streak of winning the "Worst Enforcing Team in the League" award, which it won the past 2 seasons. This year Montreal took the honors.

Yeah but Montreal still had more fights than us.

Downey did have a surprising year, though. It was surprising that he made this team, suprising that he got so many games in, and surprising that he didn't lose a fight. He was a punching bag the last few years before this season, so I expected him to lose more.

Thats great for Downey, but looking at the candidates i dont see how Orr didnt win that. He went from being a guy probably outside most top 10s to a legit rock solid heavy at minimum #6 in the league. I'd also pick Ivanans over Downey and he wasnt even nominated. Downey's record was strong, as evidenced in my sig, but the competition was still suspect in general and i dont really see the improvement factor. Just having a good record isnt an indicator, and its obvious thats what everyone went by.

Thats great for Downey, but looking at the candidates i dont see how Orr didnt win that. He went from being a guy probably outside most top 10s to a legit rock solid heavy at minimum #6 in the league. I'd also pick Ivanans over Downey and he wasnt even nominated. Downey's record was strong, as evidenced in my sig, but the competition was still suspect in general and i dont really see the improvement factor. Just having a good record isnt an indicator, and its obvious thats what everyone went by.

Because his performance in the last few years would have resulted in him losing just about every fight this year if he hadn't improved, even against that same competition.

Orr was a legitimate heavyweight before this year, and this year he solidified himself, while Downey came back from being a bum to being an enforcer again. That's what makes him more of a comeback fighter. Orr didn't really come back from anything, since he was never at the level that he was this year anyway. I guess there should be two categories then, one for comeback fighter, and one for most improved fighter.

Also, I'm pretty sure most fans on hockeyfights hate the Wings, so I don't think Downey won because of any kind of bias.

I also want to mention that Lilja should have gotten some consideration, since he went 3-0 this year, as opposed to his one beating last year of Patrick Sharp.

Edited by GMRwings1983

Because his performance in the last few years would have resulted in him losing just about every fight this year if he hadn't improved, even against that same competition.

Orr was a legitimate heavyweight before this year, and this year he solidified himself, while Downey came back from being a bum to being an enforcer again. That's what makes him more of a comeback fighter. Orr didn't really come back from anything, since he was never at the level that he was this year anyway. I guess there should be two categories then, one for comeback fighter, and one for most improved fighter.

Also, I'm pretty sure most fans on hockeyfights hate the Wings, so I don't think Downey won because of any kind of bias.

I have to disagree. Its not as if he was losing to guys like McLaren and Laperriere going into the year. Last year he beat Neil, and his only loss was to Brashear. He fought nobody like that this year to draw any type of comparison. There was only one guy on his card this season that was questionable top 10 at any point during the year (Parros). There are no big wins other than that. Two years ago he got creamed by Fedoruk and Shelley, who he drew with this year, but Fedoruk is a shadow of what he was then and Shelley has also went downhill since. That fight also never really got going as Downey slipped early on if i remember correctly.Drawing with O'Donnell is a bad draw as was the Boll result (even if you score that a draw). You know im a big Downey supporter, so it has nothing to do with not liking him, but i dont think in any way is "Most Improved" warranted.

I agree there should be a separate category...comeback i can kinda see as he's back on the NHL map so to speak. But being linked with most improved is inaccurate imo.

Good for Downs. He brought something to the table that the Wings have lacked in the last couple of years and I think it also caused other players on the team to step it up a level on the toughness side of things. IMO his off the score sheet presence can attribute to some of the team's success this year.

Speaking of Downey, would he get played a few shifts in the Finals if we have it locked up? I mean, he did a lot for us during the regular season and I think if we win the Cup his name should be on it.

Speaking of Downey, would he get played a few shifts in the Finals if we have it locked up? I mean, he did a lot for us during the regular season and I think if we win the Cup his name should be on it.

He will get his name on the cup, he played 42+ games!

If PT was based off of heart and dedication to the team he wouldn't have missed a game, but unfortunately this is the playoffs and as much as I'd love to see him out, there just isn't a spot for him right now and there probably won't be unless there are injuries.