• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

pidge

Don cherry on HNIC

Rate this topic

That 'passionless' hockey is getting us the closest we've gotten to the Cup since we last won it. If you can even call it that, I can't say I'd consider Kronwall's string of massive hits or Franzen's scoring frenzy as 'apathetic' hockey. I think the plot's been lost a little, if Cherry is going to whine about passionless hockey he should be pointing the finger at the Devils or Islanders long before the Wings. Hell, if Cherry is going to whine about sub-par attendance he should be pointing the finger at the Devils or the Islanders (or hell, most sunshine teams) long before the Wings.

Edited by Cern

He cleared up the redneck statement on Coaches Corner last night. He said where he's from, rednecks were the Scottish and the Irish who came to Canada and worked hard labor and their necks got red. He said he's a redneck and he's proud of it.

I don't know what all the hate is about. He gave nothing but praise to the Wings last night if anyone bothered to listen. He said there's no way Dallas will run away with this series. He also loves the city of Detroit. The hostility is quite confusing.

He cleared up the redneck statement on Coaches Corner last night. He said where he's from, rednecks were the Scottish and the Irish who came to Canada and worked hard labor and their necks got red. He said he's a redneck and he's proud of it.

I don't know what all the hate is about. He gave nothing but praise to the Wings last night if anyone bothered to listen. He said there's no way Dallas will run away with this series. He also loves the city of Detroit. The hostility is quite confusing.

The hostility is quite simple really.

Any inkling towards controversy against the Red Wings/Detroit or not praising the Red Wings or stroking their egos 24-7-365 = ANNOUCER BAD

Put everything the other way around = ANNOUCER GOOD

This discussion is all fine until people who aren't even here to experience the Michigan economy start proselytizing about how metro-Detroiters should spend their income.

A ---- ******* ---- MEN!

The hostility is quite simple really.

Any inkling towards controversy against the Red Wings/Detroit or not praising the Red Wings or stroking their egos 24-7-365 = ANNOUCER BAD

Put everything the other way around = ANNOUCER GOOD

This wouldn't be a Red Wings forum if that weren't the case.

You know it's true.

I love Pat Caputo (his Lions rants are great, unlike Rob Parker), but I don't really agree with his points on Cherry. If anyone had watched HNIC the other night, he complimented the Wings, and picked them to win the Cup. The only thing he said bad was the "passionless" comment, which probably applies more to their play in the regular season. Or maybe it doesn't. Who knows.

Melrose, on the other hand, hates the Wings more than any other team, and has never given them any credit at all. Cherry, at the very least, will occasionally throw a bone Detroit's way, which he did last weekend.

I don't know. That article seems a little hypocritical as it appears to be somewhat biased itself.

I think when writing an article about someone's biases you really should make it sternly objective and make points for both sides and then summarise your contention. Pat Caputo's okay but I don't like this article too much. I liked it at first (because it praised the Wings), but there were too many little cheap shots at Cherry and Melrose to take it too seriously.

Nothing pisses me off more watching the wings then watching us not retaliate. And I dont care about ******* "we get a PP not retaliating". Id rather see someone pay for the s*** they give us then watch us score ANOTHER boring 5 on 4 goal.

I'll absolutely give you that one. So will Hank and Dats. I swear this and always will.

This wouldn't be a Red Wings forum if that weren't the case.

You know it's true.

Sad but true.

I expect this to a certain degree, but the OMG YOU TALKED AGAINST THE WINGS YOU ARE BAD instant responses without considering an overall perspective has gotten pretty bad lately.

Detroit has alot of fans.... IN SWEDEN. I wish I could fill a seat. Maybe for the next season we can bring a pack of swedes for a few games.

Its a problem. But can anyone really blame whats happening on the ice? They are winning.

Maybe they need some creative marketing or new tricks to attract new fans in the area. There must be a million things to do.. testing pricelevels. To blame the economy sounds like the easy way out excuse when you fail to attract customers to a great product ;)

Maybe they need some creative marketing or new tricks to attract new fans in the area. There must be a million things to do.. testing pricelevels. To blame the economy sounds like the easy way out excuse when you fail to attract customers to a great product ;)

All I know is Michigan is in very bad time now. Its hard to pay 75 a ticket to take your family to a game. For the price of one ticket you can take a family of 4 to the tigers game and still have part of the 75 left over. Times will get better and people will stop losing their jobs and the seats will get filled again. When people stop watching the game on TV then you can start to worry.

Sad but true.

I expect this to a certain degree, but the OMG YOU TALKED AGAINST THE WINGS YOU ARE BAD instant responses without considering an overall perspective has gotten pretty bad lately.

It has gotten to the point that if are not talking about the Wings and how good they are (i.e. simply talking about how "x" team does "y" so well....no mention of the Wings), you are a Wings basher.

I'm a Wings fan, but that doesn't mean I am a total homer and can't critique their game. If I had to go through life listening to everyone just drool over how good they are and that they can do no wrong, I think I would go insane. Fact is, when something someone could possibly take as negative is said about the team, they blow up, even though what is being said is likely true. I think some have the mentality that, "yeah, what they are saying is true, but they shouldn't be saying that about the Wings....damn Wings basher".

I will be honest and admit that Wings games are not the most exciting games anymore, but they do what they need to do to win and that's what is most important in sports.

There are empty seats because everyone's trying to use the bathrooms at the JOE!

That got a laugh out of me. As a guy its not as bad but women have it rough at sporting events, especially at the Joe. I went to Game 1 against the Avs with my sister and while I could get back to my seat with 5 minutes left during intermission my sister would miss the start of the period when we left to use the facilities at the end of the period.

I know the economy is bad but ticket prices are just too high. $90 for a nosebleed seat!? It also doesn't help that playoff tickets are generally sold as a series and not individual games, at least it was last year. C'mon, Mr. I. There is no need to have ticket prices that high especially with a salary cap. Let's not forget that ticket prices were not lowered when the salary cap went into effect and I think that has left a sour taste in the mouths of many.

As far as boring hockey goes, the Wings don't play the open style game like Montreal does flying up and down the ice giving away as many scoring chances as gaining them. The offense works on precision scoring and the defense shuts teams down hard. No, it may not look exciting but it is effective.

That got a laugh out of me. As a guy its not as bad but women have it rough at sporting events, especially at the Joe. I went to Game 1 against the Avs with my sister and while I could get back to my seat with 5 minutes left during intermission my sister would miss the start of the period when we left to use the facilities at the end of the period.

I know the economy is bad but ticket prices are just too high. $90 for a nosebleed seat!? It also doesn't help that playoff tickets are generally sold as a series and not individual games, at least it was last year. C'mon, Mr. I. There is no need to have ticket prices that high especially with a salary cap. Let's not forget that ticket prices were not lowered when the salary cap went into effect and I think that has left a sour taste in the mouths of many.

As far as boring hockey goes, the Wings don't play the open style game like Montreal does flying up and down the ice giving away as many scoring chances as gaining them. The offense works on precision scoring and the defense shuts teams down hard. No, it may not look exciting but it is effective.

I agree with everything you just said. The economy sucks and ticket prices are too high. My tickets were free on Saturday, but face was $140 for section 209 row 8. Great seats but 140 when gas is almost $4 and costs of other stuff has gone up just wouldn't be worth it. I need that money for other things. It's not that the hockey isn't worth it but other things are more important.

Yeah the Wings might not be the most high flying team but they control most of the game which is very entertaining to me. The Wings are winning. For Grapes to say "the Wings will win but no one will care" is stupid. Maybe do some research and not just base it off of your opinion. If someone were to sit there and watch Lidstrom raise the cup the first week of June and say I wish they would have been more "fun" to watch I would reach across and slap the person. On 1130 after the game they were talking about the Devils in 95. That team made hockey boring to watch from the outside but were Devils fans sitting around the summer of 95 saying I wish they were more fun to watch... hell no! The Wings do what it takes to win. They had a lot of big guns in 03 and 04 and how did that work. The almost no name Ducks and Flames too care of them because they knew what would win. They didn't sit around saying we've got to make sure we are more entertaining.

Detroit has alot of fans.... IN SWEDEN. I wish I could fill a seat. Maybe for the next season we can bring a pack of swedes for a few games.

Its a problem. But can anyone really blame whats happening on the ice? They are winning.

Its called stop selling third round ($22) for $75... thats a BIG start

You have four choices for tickets to this round...

$90

$140

$200

$215

Take your pick... the $75 are gone flat out first and the $90 is to STAND all game long...

The Wings marketers need to think outside the box. There is a whole untapped market here in southwestern Ontario. Yes there are more leaf fans in this area but a ton of Wings fans. Lots of people from this area would go to wings games if they just advertised it or knew the best way to get tickets. Leafs tickets cost more than wings tickets, I know this becuase I saw the wings play in Detroit and when they played in Toronto I went and the leafs tickets were more. I'd say there is easily 100,000 Wings fans in southwestern Ontario, and lots of which would go to games if it was marketed here....

I agree. I just don't think he cares for the style of hockey Detroit plays that much, but I don't think he "hates" the Wings. He gave them some high praise in saying they are a great team and that they will probably win the Cup.

Absolutely. And there's nothing wrong with that opinion. Some prefer different styles of hockey.

I'd never watch a Wings team that played like the Canucks.

But man are Grapes' suits getting worse! But I love them for their over-the-top ugliness!

In other words he wants Detroit to become more like Nashville. Lovely.

No - he'd like the team to be more like it was in 97 and 98. Based on the amount of calls for blood in the thread about Rebeiro and Ozzie I think y'all agree with him.

As for Don Cherry, I think he's a very knowledgable hockey mind, highly entertaining, an unmitigated Canadian patriot, but at the same time I think he can be a flaming bigot. Those people here who say he's racist need to learn the difference between bigotry and racisim.
The words "Don Cherry" and "knowledgable" in the same sentence? This could be history right here.

I don't usually don't get entertained by hateful or racist people on TV, just because they're from where i'm from, they wear a snazzy suit, or can crack a funny one-timer now and again. But hey, that's just me.

Thanks for telling us how much you love and appreciate a true-bred Canadian though, who is just a bigot, NOT a racist. Pathetic.

Go away.

Edited by motorcitykid