• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

NMWingzFan

Kolzig to replace Hasek?

Rate this topic

Saw this story on nhl.com

Olie Kolzig has been the face of the Washington Capitals franchise on and off the ice for the last decade, and he has been a member of the Caps’ organization for half of his life and more than half of the organization’s existence. Although his role in goal became diminished after the Caps’ Feb. 26 acquisition of netminder Cristobal Huet from the Montreal Canadiens, it didn’t make it any less shocking to pick up today’s Washington Post and read that Kolzig believes he has played his last game in a Capitals sweater.

Kolzig has been a member of the Caps’ organization continuously since he was drafted in the first round of the 1989 NHL Entry Draft. Among all players in the NHL, only Colorado’s Joe Sakic and Dallas’s Mike Modano have been with one and only one organization for a longer period. Kolzig holds virtually every Capitals netminding record there is; he led the team to the only Stanley Cup finals appearance in its history, won a Vezina Trophy as the league’s top goaltender in 2000, the NHL Foundation Award in 2001 and the King Clancy Memorial Trophy in 2006.

Kolzig ranks fifth among all active goaltenders in wins, and he became just the 23rd netminder in NHL history to record 300 victories when he defeated Calgary at Verizon Center on March 12. Including playoff games, Kolzig has won 321 contests for the Capitals.

History and media guides will record his deeds on the ice long after his departure, but his contributions to the community and the locker room cannot be quantified.

Kolzig founded the Carson Kolzig Foundation, named after his son, and he is a co-founder of Athletes Against Autism, an initiative of Cure Autism Now.

For most of his lengthy tenure as a Capital, he was the team’s de facto captain. Only an archaic NHL rule that prevents goaltenders from wearing the captain’s “C” kept Kolzig from having that letter sewn on his sweater.

“From the first day I met him through my year-end meeting with Olie,” said Caps coach Bruce Boudreau, “I was struck by his class. He always was respectful and a true professional in every sense of the word. He treated me like Scotty Bowman, and I couldn't ask for anything else.”

Officially, Kolzig is a Capital until July 1 when he becomes an unrestricted free agent. At that point he will be free to make a deal with any of the 30 NHL teams. In today’s Post, Kolzig also hinted at retirement.

The reality of the situation is that Kolzig believes his time in Washington has passed.

“Olie has been great for the Washington Capitals,” said Capitals general manager George McPhee earlier today, “and the Capitals were great for Olie. He has been a great leader and ambassador for the club. Olie can still play, and if he decides to continue to play, we wish him the very best.”

For the last several seasons, Kolzig has been very forthright in his desire to play two more seasons after the one that just concluded. Whether he has wavered from that desire remains to be seen, but he has always been consumed by one goal: winning a Stanley Cup. He told The Post that finding a good situation for his family and joining a Cup contender would be two keys in determining his playing future.

“I’ve always admired Olie Kolzig,” said Capitals majority owner Ted Leonsis, “first as a fan and then as an owner. When I got to know him on a personal level, I was even more impressed. He is a charitable person and a great man, and I genuinely appreciate all he has done for this organization and this region.

“If he decides to continue his career with another team, I will respect that decision, and he will be missed. In my mind, however, he always will be a Washington Capital.”

I immediately though of Detroit. Hasek I think will finally be convinced its time to retire at the end of this Stanley Cup run, and Holland seems to like to sign guys short contracts. The question would be of Ollie the Goalie would do as well as Hasek did sharing goalie duties -- I don't see Ozzie leaving any time soon ...

I really don't think he will. He is just as old as Hasek and we have Howard and that other kid we just signed. No way he comes to Detriot.

Chris Osgood & Jimmy Howard in 08-09.

We've been trough this before.

I think it unnecessary to overly discuss any other options.

Unless Holland could land a goalie like Luongo with a reasonable trade, other speculations are not realistic.

The Wizard of Oz and Godzilla under one roof?

Not likely, I don't think Detroit needs another aging goalie. I say this even after the fact that I have been a Kolzig fan since I was a yougin'.

The problem with Kolzig is that he does not want to share goaltending duties; he wants to be the clear-cut starter, that's why he's leaving DC.

As a Caps fan, it saddens me that he doesn't realize the time has come to take a cut in playing time.

Chris Osgood & Jimmy Howard in 08-09

Or Ozzie and Larsson.

I have seen Larsson play and he is awesome. I think he can beat Howard for no2. spot.

Anyways, Kolzig is old and not good anymore. No thanks to Ollie.

Guest Crymson
Saw this story on nhl.com

I immediately though of Detroit. Hasek I think will finally be convinced its time to retire at the end of this Stanley Cup run, and Holland seems to like to sign guys short contracts. The question would be of Ollie the Goalie would do as well as Hasek did sharing goalie duties -- I don't see Ozzie leaving any time soon ...

I'd say there's about a 0.1% chance of Kolzig being signed here.

I really don't think he will. He is just as old as Hasek and we have Howard and that other kid we just signed. No way he comes to Detriot.

He is actually 5 years younger than Hasek, but to compare the two really isn't even worth it. I think I will pass on him.

OMG Kolzig here... f*** me now!

God dammit... we have the best goalie currently in the NHL and after this series the best one in the Playoffs.... why the f*** do we need some hasbeen!

It doesn't make sense for either side. He has an autistic son, he probably wont want to mess with his living conditions too much- I think he'll stay in the east, probably on the coast. That way he wont even hace to change houses. He also wants to start, as mentioned.

I would rather the Wings go with Ozzie and Howard and bring another goalie in to share time in Grand Rapids with Larsson. Then spend a pick or 2 on a Goalie in the draft.

Why would the Wings want to bring in another older goalie??? If they decide Howard isn't ready to come up next year they will just bring back Dom. They already know he and Ozzie get along and he'll come cheap, the team likes him. I agree with the majority however it will be Ozzie and Howard in 08-09

i hope the days of bringing old players into our system is over. We have so much talented youth fighting for spots on the team, it's downright silly!

I agree with previous posts...Osgood is the man we need and as for a backup, we need YOUTH!

For once, we're set in goal for next year. It'll be nice to have reliable goaltending for the first time in 7 years.

Ozzie is the starter.

Howard and that other kid compete for backup.

We're golden.

Or Ozzie and Larsson.

I have seen Larsson play and he is awesome. I think he can beat Howard for no2. spot.

Anyways, Kolzig is old and not good anymore. No thanks to Ollie.

I doubt we'll see a kid they just signed in the NHL next season...

Dunno how many times it has to be said...Having Howard sit in GRap for another year will not do anyone good. It's about time to p*ss or get off the pot with Howard, in a brief stint he showed he has the potential to be a solid goaltender for Detroit.

Larsson will not be in Detroit unless he just completely outperforms Howard by a large margin. He will start in GR more than likely. Howard has been groomed as the next goalie on this team for the last couple years. He is going to be given every opportunity to be the next goalie in Detroit.