• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
The Secret

Game Announcers on Versus

Rate this topic

Watching this game on Versus is making me sick! Why don't the announcers just outright say that they hate the Red Wings? Where do they find these guys? Dallas is playing a better game but they are making it sound like Dallas is playing by themselves. Well... thats just my opinion!

On the other hand the CBC announcers can't seem to praise the Red Wings enough, namely Datsyuk and Zetterberg. I was going to start a thread on this because it seems like all we do on these boards is talk about how biased the media's opinion of the Wings is, but since I saw this one I decided to compliment CBC here instead. Maybe make this thread one where we talk about good media coverage instead. And yes, I am hijacking this thread because it's been started 100 times before, sorry The Secret.

One of them even made reference to Lidstrom as Norstrom, or Nordstrom? Morons! It happened late in the second period. I checked a few times on tivo.

Watching this game on Versus is making me sick! Why don't the announcers just outright say that they hate the Red Wings? Where do they find these guys? Dallas is playing a better game but they are making it sound like Dallas is playing by themselves. Well... thats just my opinion!

Dude, I'm in complete agreement. I'd just like a neutral broadcast. But it seems like it's either about how great Dallas has been, or what they need to do to win. Maybe VS just likes the underdog angle. I dunno.

I did switch over to redwings.com online radio.. but the lag was like 90 seconds. Although maybe I'd still prefer that. haha.

well, I can't watch the CBC and the thread is about the VS announcers so let's talk about that. And if you have been watching the announcers on VS you'd realize that it is indeed sickening how rediculously biased they are. the intermission interviewer just asked the Star they were interviewing if they've gotten their legs back? WTF?

I don't mind Doc, he's stayed out of it, but Eddie "I couln't hack it as coach at Pittsburgh but since then I'm god's gift to hockey knowledge" Olcyeck is so rediculously biased it's not funny. And this goes for Engblom and Jones as well. I almost dont ever watch the inbetween period stuff b/c it's so annoying.

I like how they were saying in between the 2nd and 3rd periods that the Stars had carried the play. A quick look at the stats at that point told a completely different story. the Wings had outshot Dallas (not a surprise), won more face-offs (not a huge surprise, but the percentage was like 80% for Detroit), and OUTHIT Dallas at that point.

I guess the numbers DO lie.....or something.....

They gotta sell a series folks. They're gonna make every attempt at making Dallas sound like they're competing in the game, and they played hard tonight, no doubt.

Not everyone is gonna kiss Red Wing ass in the media. That'll happen if the Red Wings lift the Cup in early June. Take it for what it is and move on, these guys are paid to sell the game.

They gotta sell a series folks. They're gonna make every attempt at making Dallas sound like they're competing in the game, and they played hard tonight, no doubt.

Not everyone is gonna kiss Red Wing ass in the media. That'll happen if the Red Wings lift the Cup in early June. Take it for what it is and move on, these guys are paid to sell the game.

there is "selling a series" and then there is denying reality as it slaps you in the face. This was more of the latter and it has absolutely nothing to do with "kissing Red Wing ass"....

I'll tell ya what... anyone who thinks that the VS. broadcasters have been "just fine" or doing a okay job is completely idiotic.

First off, I'm not saying that we should put Mickey Redmond and Ken Daniels in there, but my god I don't think they talked about the Red Wings ONCE during the game. As I've said before, it is NEVER what Detroit is going right, its always what Dallas is doing right or what Dallas is doing wrong. My father, who never reads into this kinda crap too much and never comments was even laughing at how much these guys seemed to (in his words) 'wanna WILL Dallas to win that game'. Again, I don't want anyone to favor Detroit or make them seem like the only team out there, but why can't the VS. announcers ever just admit that we won because we flat out outplayed them.

I guess the thing that really bugs me about it, is I hardly ever sit there and say "ohhhh, the NHL wants Detroit to lose, Melrose hates us, Don Cherry hates us, lets have a big pity party" because in the end what Barry Melrose says doesn't really affect me. But to actually have to sit down and watch a full game listening to, what have to be the 5 BIGGEST ******* idiots when it comes to hockey really pisses me off. I wish I would've known the game was on CBC, I would've GLADLY watched the CBC guys, they actually have a clue of what they're talking about.

Now, I'm going to e-mail VS. and see if I can get thru to any of those f***in idiots somehow!

I didn't watch the Versus feed, I watched CBC. And I thought CBC was fair in their coverage, as usual.

Let me preface what I'm about to say with an, "I don't usually complain about this stuff" qualifier. But... I do think the Wings are getting short shrift from the sports media in general during this playoff run, and I'm not sure why. They have star players who are as exciting as any in the league. They have history and tradition and they have a gigantic fan base, bigger than any other team in the country.

And yet, the coverage has focused almost exclusively on what the other team has to do to win. I understand that to a point. That's a significant part of what the coverage should be about. But outside of talking about Franzen, there isn't anything resembling gushing about how well the Wings are playing; it almost feels like there's a sense of disgust over how overmatched Detroit's opponents have looked. I understand playing up the competitive aspects of the series. That makes sense.

What doesn't make sense is, those things haven't stopped media slobberfests in the past. Ever watch a Yankees game? The Patriots? Kobe and the Lakers? How about the Penguins, with Crosby and Malkin? When I see those teams play, there is a gag-inducing, disproportionate amount of time spent by the media - from the broadcast team to radio and newspaper coverage between games - raving about how great these teams and their star players are.

All I wanna know is, why is it so different with this team? Maybe they need to win a Cup with this roster to finally get the love.

I didn't watch the Versus feed, I watched CBC. And I thought CBC was fair in their coverage, as usual.

Let me preface what I'm about to say with an, "I don't usually complain about this stuff" qualifier. But... I do think the Wings are getting short shrift from the sports media in general during this playoff run, and I'm not sure why. They have star players who are as exciting as any in the league. They have history and tradition and they have a gigantic fan base, bigger than any other team in the country.

And yet, the coverage has focused almost exclusively on what the other team has to do to win. I understand that to a point. That's a significant part of what the coverage should be about. But outside of talking about Franzen, there isn't anything resembling gushing about how well the Wings are playing; it almost feels like there's a sense of disgust over how overmatched Detroit's opponents have looked. I understand playing up the competitive aspects of the series. That makes sense.

What doesn't make sense is, those things haven't stopped media slobberfests in the past. Ever watch a Yankees game? The Patriots? Kobe and the Lakers? How about the Penguins, with Crosby and Malkin? When I see those teams play, there is a gag-inducing, disproportionate amount of time spent by the media - from the broadcast team to radio and newspaper coverage between games - raving about how great these teams and their star players are.

All I wanna know is, why is it so different with this team? Maybe they need to win a Cup with this roster to finally get the love.

Great post. I couldn't agree more.

Something else that pisses me off that I seem to only notice on VS. Why don't they mute their computers? You can hear their web browser clicking as they surf the web or as their NHL stat page refreshes. It's so annoying and unprofessional.

I agree, BM. I usually roll my eyes when fans suggest that a network is biased against their team (every fan group does it, after all, and as an aspiring broadcaster myself I tend to see things from the announcers' perspective). Still, Versus has been ridiculous at times this playoff season. And don't get me started on Eddie O; viewpoints aside, the guy's just not a good color announcer. Why he's half of their #1 pairing is beyond me.

I agree, BM. I usually roll my eyes when fans suggest that a network is biased against their team (every fan group does it, after all, and as an aspiring broadcaster myself I tend to see things from the announcers' perspective). Still, Versus has been ridiculous at times this playoff season. And don't get me started on Eddie O; viewpoints aside, the guy's just not a good color announcer. Why he's half of their #1 pairing is beyond me.

Hes the half that shows children with disabilities if they try hard enough, they too can be on TV.

Unless the redwings play a canadian team

very true.

but i watched the entire game on CBC. and during the 1st intermission i went downstairs and my mom had on the Versus feed ( dont think she knew the game was also on CBC) and i just KNEW with the score being 2-1 keith jones and Engblom would just kiss up the stars...i called it.

Honestly, im sick of this. Its at the point where i just want to watch the highlights after the game. Is Doc Emerick a play by play guy or another commentator? these guys NEVER explain whats happening in the game. they talk about stupid s*** that no one wants to hear. their sounds of the game is the dumbest thing ever. all it is is skate scraping the ice, someone yelling lets go boys, and then a whistle. Their intermission show is two guys talking about how the best team in the regular season and 10-2 in the playoffs doesnt have what it takes and they didnt beat their opponents, their opponents lost it for themselves. and they are lucky, and holmstroms goal shouldnt have counted. DONT COUNT IT AND WE STILL WIN! WTF ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT!!!

and then they have the audacity to say that ribiero breaking his ******* stick on ozzie was a love tap that osgood deserved?! ribiero had no business going after the puck with a full head of steam after the game ended! ozzie shouldve hit him in the face and then beat his ass as if he was patrick roy. I cant believe how biased this team is. why dont they just come out and say "they say if you cant beat them, join em. but i wasnt good enough to either, so ill just hold a grudge"