• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
RoninJai

Upset with Versus broadcaster bias?

Rate this topic

Versus hit a new low with their broadcast last night. They are not even pretending to be neutral anymore. Their comments about the whole Osgood/Ribeiro thing, while at the same time putting Turco on a pedestal, was the last straw for me. I'm stuck w/ Vs. because I can't get CBC on DirecTV, but I've let them know what I felt about their broadcast, as politely as possible. We are a large fan base. Quite possibly the largest hockey fanbase in the country. It would be nice if they weren't so insulting. I've let them know that. Here's the link. Be polite.

http://www.versus.com/article/view/744/?tf...terArticles.tpl

I don't understand this perceived bias.

If you go to the Dallas board, they all think that the Vs. crew was Detroit loving all night. This makes me think that the commentary was likely more even than a lot of people on this board would like to admit.

If you go to the Dallas board, they all think that the Vs. crew was Detroit loving all night. This makes me think that the commentary was likely more even than a lot of people on this board would like to admit.

I've noticed that too, and sometimes it just makes me wonder if they get the same broadcast that we do. I'm sure they do, but the way they speak about the commentary, it just seems like they get different people.

I tend to agree with you on this. Sometimes the VS broadcasters can be annoying, but there are other times when they are totally biased in favor of the Wings as well. For instance, I don't know if a lot of people stayed up and watched all of the OTs in the last game of the Sharks/Stars series, but between every OT period they talked about how great the Wings were, how amazing Franzen is, how the Wings can just totally dominate a game with their puck possession skills, and how whoever ended up winning the Sharks/Stars series was going to be in for some really tough competition. They aren't always against us.

Also, the fact that the Dallas fans thinks VS favors us just shows that different groups of people perceive the exact same things differently depending on how they feel about a topic or team. Everyone thinks the refs that did the exact same game hated their team but not the other team, everyone thinks the broadcasters hate their team, etc. I think it is hard sometimes for even the most knowledgable of fans to be totally objective about these sorts of things.

I tend to agree with you on this. Sometimes the VS broadcasters can be annoying, but there are other times when they are totally biased in favor of the Wings as well. For instance, I don't know if a lot of people stayed up and watched all of the OTs in the last game of the Sharks/Stars series, but between every OT period they talked about how great the Wings were, how amazing Franzen is, how the Wings can just totally dominate a game with their puck possession skills, and how whoever ended up winning the Sharks/Stars series was going to be in for some really tough competition. They aren't always against us.

Also, the fact that the Dallas fans thinks VS favors us just shows that different groups of people perceive the exact same things differently depending on how they feel about a topic or team. Everyone thinks the refs that did the exact same game hated their team but not the other team, everyone thinks the broadcasters hate their team, etc. I think it is hard sometimes for even the most knowledgable of fans to be totally objective about these sorts of things.

Wonderfully stated, especially your last paragraph.

It just goes to show that it is impossible to go a full game as a referee or annoucer to try to do your job like normal, without some fan base going bonkers and yelling pro-bias or anti-bias or that you are disrespecting our team or making calls against our team.

Versus hit a new low with their broadcast last night. They are not even pretending to be neutral anymore. Their comments about the whole Osgood/Ribeiro thing, while at the same time putting Turco on a pedestal, was the last straw for me. I'm stuck w/ Vs. because I can't get CBC on DirecTV, but I've let them know what I felt about their broadcast, as politely as possible. We are a large fan base. Quite possibly the largest hockey fanbase in the country. It would be nice if they weren't so insulting. I've let them know that. Here's the link. Be polite.

http://www.versus.com/article/view/744/?tf...terArticles.tpl

I'd have to say that was probably the only time I notice any kind of bias toward Dallas. They basically said Ribs and Ozzie were both in the wrong but Ribs was the worste of the two so that seemed fair and accurate to me. On the other hand, when they were recapping Turco's actions to "defend his crease" by punching homer in the back of the head, blantantly tripping Flips and Homer, mixed in with several obvious slashes.. lets just say i found it a bit upsetting that they were praising this BS

...the sad part about it is pretty much everyone over on the dallas boards seems to think this is completely normal and "happens everygame". I mean, I fine with a goalie pushing you in the back to gain some room, but the hacking and whacking and PUNCHING to the back of the head is not within the rules of the game, and therefore shouldn't be praise as great goaltending! I'm hoping the refs will be watching for that come game 3

Edited by DYags

They spent the entire game defending Turco's punches to the back of Homer's head, his constant slashes, and his blatant trip on Flip. And then acted like Osgood was the root of all evil, and Ribeiro was just acting like it was perfectly fine to swing the stick..."Thats just playoff hockey". If thats not a bias, I don't know what is.

I should amend my comment to say that this is mainly in regards to their "A" broadcast team, and their intermission report guys. The "B" team, that they had announcing the last game against Colorado I think, I thought they were much better.

Edited by RoninJai

I don't think there is much of an argument against commentator bias. You get that with EVERY commentator out there (although I like to think Ken Kal does a pretty good job). Although I have to admit during the Pens Phily game right now, the commentators might as well be wearing Penguins' jerseys with how they're acting. But overall the only complaint I have with them is their general lack of commentating skills.

Edited by Echolalia

Excellent post.

I didn't see the Stars/Sharks game, so I can't comment on it really.

I just know that when I watch Vs, and the Wings are on, it's usually like this: "Other team, Other team, Other team, Other team, Other team, Other team, Other team, Other team, Oh, Wings just scored....Other team, Other team, Other team, Other team, Other team, Other team, Other team, oh, Wings scored again....Other team, Other team, Other team, Other team, Other team, and now, here's Pierre Maguire barely hiding his contempt for the Wings player he's being forced to interview..."

I'm stuck w/ Vs. because I can't get CBC on DirecTV

If you have a decent internet connection, try CBC's website. Their sports section has a media player that streams all their games live, plus has all their HNIC games archived in full. You might need a Canadian proxy to get it to work though. Failing that try myp2p.eu. Some of the streams might use CBC/TSN instead of VS.

I don't think there is much of an argument against commentator bias. You get that with EVERY commentator out there (although I like to think Ken Kal does a pretty good job). Although I have to admit during the Pens Phily game right now, the commentators might as well be wearing Penguins' jerseys with how they're acting. But overall the only complaint I have with them is their general lack of commentating skills.

Oh no, the malkin/crosby love is NHL driven. I think these guys in the booth have a stipulation in their contracts they have to mention "the face of the game" or have Malkin in at least every other statement that doesn't have Crosby's name in it. It's sickening. Honestly, I think Alex Ovechkin is way more of a well rounded player than Crosby is but he gets nothing. Don't get me wrong, I think Ovechkin acts like a two year old when he plays, but he's better than Crosby is.

I think the bit of bias that stood out to me most in these first two games of the series was all the excuse-making for Dallas. It seemed like every third sentence out of one of the PbP guys' mouths was "Well, Dallas is so tired because of that 4OT game" and not giving the Wings credit for flat-out outplaying the Stars. It's never about what the Wings are doing right, it's all about making excuses for Dallas. That just annoys me. Even this last game, Versus was still using that as an excuse for Dallas whenever they made a bad play - "Oh, they're still tired and didn't have enough time off..."

Just sayin'.

Honestly, I think Alex Ovechkin is way more of a well rounded player than Crosby is but he gets nothing.

YES! Too much love is being given to Sidney "Hey, I scored 25 goals this season, can I have my face on another million Wheaties boxes please?" Crosby.

During the third period of the Flyers/Penguins game tonight, the broadcasters were talking about how dominant the Red Wings style of play is, how great a stickhandler Datsyuk is and how awesome Zetterberg is. Hmm...

My opinion is that the games should be called from a neutral stance and I agree with this post. Thanks for the link as I have sent along my comments to the Versus crew, who probably won't read it in time because they are probably still in bed cuddling after sleeping with their favourite Dallas player(s).... you know Eddie's showing them his O face! Hahaha!

I think the bit of bias that stood out to me most in these first two games of the series was all the excuse-making for Dallas. It seemed like every third sentence out of one of the PbP guys' mouths was "Well, Dallas is so tired because of that 4OT game" and not giving the Wings credit for flat-out outplaying the Stars. It's never about what the Wings are doing right, it's all about making excuses for Dallas. That just annoys me. Even this last game, Versus was still using that as an excuse for Dallas whenever they made a bad play - "Oh, they're still tired and didn't have enough time off..."

Just sayin'.

In my opinion it was too much time off. I would have started the series on wednesday.

Personally i don't think they are bias,just not very good at what they do.They don't say bad things about the Wings,just don't fluff them up.Remember everyone roots for the underdog.Wings have been soooo good for so long and we are used to bias from Mickey and Ken.We are all fans of hockey but think if you were a new fan watching the game and you watch the Wings dominate day in and day out you need some kind of excuse for the domination to create a fan base not just for Wings but the sport in general.

I haven't had that much of a problem with VS honestly. Emrick always seems to be favoring the Wings IMHO. It's been Don Cherry and Melrose that have been ticking me off with all of their crap. Especially Grapes saying that they will probably win the cup but no one will care because basically we don't have guys who get in fights. Hey Grapes how many fights happened in the 97, 98 and 02 Cup wins? oh wait barely any, other than that blood bath in the 3rd period of game 4 against the Avs in 97.

The bad part about the Vs. broadcasters is that their all former hockey guys, and are all current broadcasters of other teams. It's not like their a bunch of scrubs picked up off the street.

...or maybe they are... hehe...

While it's never the same without hearing Mickey and Ken in the commentators box, I think Vs. is the best of the other channels I have seen.

The comments about Turco in the game 2 commentary I think were justified. He had a stormer of a game. Could have been 4 or 5 to 1 on a night he wasn't up to par.

Also, while they do seem to be willing Dallas into a win over the wings, I think to the neutral it is justified.

While FSN Detroit is best able to get and keep ratings based on blowing the trumpets of local teams, Vs. has to cater for a national market, most of which are probably neutral.

Even if a team is leading 3-0 in a series, all the talk before the game will be how closely contested it will be and that the team losing 3-0 could pull of the comeback of the century.

Lets face it, nobody wants to watch a series thats completely dominated by one team (other than the winning teams fans). Which neutral would watch that?

However this quest for neutrality is nice to watch BHG (Bad Hair Guy) and Fred Flintstone on the Vs. panel eat their words when putting down the wings and favoring Anaheim and San Jose. Makes them look like they don't know what they're talking about...

After their first and second picks went out, aren't they both picking Wings to win now! :blush: