• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

sixer

Suspension Update

Rate this topic

First, as a goalie, shoving the butt end of your stick up into the face of someone skating by you is going to cause more damage than someone 2 hand slashing you in the chest. I know this because I know what goalies wear. I wear the same thing and have been hit in the chest with harder slashes than that.

Just watching the replay, its quite apparent that Osgood meant to use the butt end of his stick on Ribero's face. He deserved the fine. Ribero two hand slashed Osgood in the chest, and just from the replays, I didn't see a hard impact. Therefore, he deserved a fine. Suspensions? If you suspend one, you should suspend the other.

Secondly, if you can't tell the difference between Ribero's slash and McClennan's, there is a problem.

Sorry, I play goalie too and putting the butt end of your stick in someone's face as they skate by is no where near the same as someone swinging a stick at your chest. Ozzie didn't swing his stick in Ribero's face. He put it in the way; Ribero skated by and pulled his back making so he probably got some tape burn... ouch <_<

This is just a bad precedent by the NHL. Basically as long as you don't cause an injury, the hardest swing of a stick will not get you suspended. If Ozzie had tried to duck out of the way, the stick would have been right across the mask. Wearing chest pads do not fully protect you from injury; slashes across the chest still hurt, they just aren't as bad as they would be if you weren't wearing pads.

I don't mind Ozzie being fined, but guys can't swing their stick at other players. Ribeiro should sit a game.

But guys can hit others in the face with a butt-end? :blink:

I think the NHL, in not suspending anyone, did a favour to the Wings. Ozzie hit him in the face with his stick - and he was watching him come in and timed it and did it intentionally. Ribeiro hit Ozzie in the chest protector. What one got, the other was going to get. Hence the benefit to the Wings. Suspend Ribeiro, Suspend Ozzie. Did you really want Hasek back in net?

Tonight is going to be a blood bath, and I can't wait!

:withstupid:

Yes of course, cuz everyone knows that playing a cheap retaliatory style is so in keeping with the talentless thugs that Detroit has up and down its lineup. You can tell that the coaches keep sending guys over the boards with one purpose in mind - physically beat the crap out of the other team. That's why Franzen and Homer have so many roughing penalties when they don't put up with anyone even looking like they might give them a face rub or a whack across the back.

Child.

Edited by calfan

Sorry, I play goalie too and putting the butt end of your stick in someone's face as they skate by is no where near the same as someone swinging a stick at your chest. Ozzie didn't swing his stick in Ribero's face. He put it in the way; Ribero skated by and pulled his back making so he probably got some tape burn... ouch <_<

This is just a bad precedent by the NHL. Basically as long as you don't cause an injury, the hardest swing of a stick will not get you suspended. If Ozzie had tried to duck out of the way, the stick would have been right across the mask. Wearing chest pads do not fully protect you from injury; slashes across the chest still hurt, they just aren't as bad as they would be if you weren't wearing pads.

Try puting the butt end of your stick out in someones face as they skate by and see what they do. I know it would have felt worse than tape burn. Not enough to knock a tooth out, but it would have felt uncomfortable. That slash wasn't hard either. Osgood tried to sell it but to be honest, it was laughable. As a goalie, I took that as an insult because if someone did that to me, I wouldn't have done the dying cockroach on the ice. I probably would have gotten in the player's face.

Ah well....I stand by the NHL's decision even though the blind Wings fan doesn't.

Osgood definitely did it on purpose, he was looking straight at him as he skating by.

But it was just a little tap. Everyone saying it was a butt of the stick hasn't seen someone actually get butted or speared apparently.

What Ribeiro did was inexcusable though, even if it was on purpose. You don't respond to a "Hey, slow down TAP" by 2hand swinging your stick like you are Mel Gibson in Braveheart at someone's neck. Go get in his face if you want to be a tough guy.

Both incidents are pretty stupid and I'm glad they both got fined. Screw all this suspension talk, no one got hurt, let them play.

Try puting the butt end of your stick out in someones face as they skate by and see what they do.

Agreed, the butt end of the stuck would hurt someone's face.

Osgood didn't come anywhere near his face. Hit his arm at most, and it was a tap. If he actually butted him Riberio would have smacked into the boards and fell down.

Try puting the butt end of your stick out in someones face as they skate by and see what they do. I know it would have felt worse than tape burn.

If Osgood had actually done what you describe, the result would have been different. He would have effectively "clotheslined" Ribiero if the contact was that hard on that location. As stated, the most likely place Osgood's high stick (people are mistaking saying that he "butt-ended" Ribiero) hit him was in the upper chest/shoulder region and the fact that Ribiero appears to have opted for a "***-for-tat" hit in the same general location would seem to support that ("Here, see if YOU like getting hit there with a stick!")

Edited by Gizmo

Sooo... since he was butt-ended by ozzie... how effed up his is face? I mean... as bad as people are saying that was.... shouldn't he be having to face the cage like Robidas?

Edited by OsGOD

First, as a goalie, shoving the butt end of your stick up into the face of someone skating by you is going to cause more damage than someone 2 hand slashing you in the chest. I know this because I know what goalies wear. I wear the same thing and have been hit in the chest with harder slashes than that.

Just watching the replay, its quite apparent that Osgood meant to use the butt end of his stick on Ribero's face. He deserved the fine. Ribero two hand slashed Osgood in the chest, and just from the replays, I didn't see a hard impact. Therefore, he deserved a fine. Suspensions? If you suspend one, you should suspend the other.

Secondly, if you can't tell the difference between Ribero's slash and McClennan's, there is a problem.

It doesn't matter if Ozzie wasn't hurt. The intent to injure was still there. If you fire a gun at someone and miss, they don't let you off because the other guy didn't get hurt (extreme example but you get my point).

You can't call Ozzie's instance intentional. For all we know he could have been trying to slow Ribiero down, goalies do that move all the time. And yet he actually could have been trying to injure Ribiero, but we don't know that one way or another.

And everybody needs to take off their homer goggles for just a few moments.The incident happened, it's being blown way out of proportion by fans/media, let's move on.
No "homer goggles" here.

Osgood showed no intent to injure. Rebeiro did. You're wrong.

Just like when a ref sends off two opposing players, when just one of them is 'the' s***-disturber, in order to drive home the point of "no more crap after the whistles, etc", the NHL should've taken this seriously - if only to say to every other player in both series that vicious whacks will not be tolerated.

Again, we can discuss all the silly punishments handed out by the NHL over the last X amount of years, if you like. Pronger comes to mind. As does the hilarious slaps on the wrists he continues to get.

After all these are lawyers. They nitpick this stuff to death, speak out of both sides of their mouths, then throw out statements that makes no sense, time and again.

No matter what team Rebeiro plays for, a suspension, even a game, is warranted.

It doesn't matter if Ozzie wasn't hurt. The intent to injure was still there. If you fire a gun at someone and miss, they don't let you off because the other guy didn't get hurt (extreme example but you get my point).

You can't call Ozzie's instance intentional. For all we know he could have been trying to slow Ribiero down, goalies do that move all the time. And yet he actually could have been trying to injure Ribiero, but we don't know that one way or another.

Exactly! :thumbup:

Because Ozzie wears a chest protector, that negates Rebeiro's intent to injure! I almost can't stop laughing at how stupid that statement you quoted is.

Edited by motorcitykid

I really think the incident in Game 2 will have absolutely no barring on tonight's game. There are those saying that the Stars are now fired up and are highly motivated because of it which I don't get? It's not like either got suspended and the other team is mad. It's done and over it. Let's all move along now.

I really think the incident in Game 2 will have absolutely no barring on tonight's game. There are those saying that the Stars are now fired up and are highly motivated because of it which I don't get? It's not like either got suspended and the other team is mad. It's done and over it. Let's all move along now.

The Stars need to find something, anything to get them going. They're a desperate team right now.