• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
cs6687

Penguins fan here

Rate this topic

Hi there. Nice forums you have here. It's a pretty nice change after visiting the cesspools that are the Rangers and Flyers forums. (The Senators were pretty nice, generally speaking)

I'm a Penguins fan following the team since 1989, but I live in Lansing, MI now. So I've been watching both teams play all season long and in the playoffs.

One thing I'd like to point out is our supposed lack of experience. While it's true that Detroit has more veterans, more Rings in the room and obviously more playoff appearances among their players, Hal Gill, Sergei Gonchar, Gary Roberts, Georges Laraque, Peter Sykora and Darryl Sydor (who hasn't played in the playoffs yet) have a pretty good chunk of playoff experience between them.

To a lesser extent, we're not a team full of rookies. Ryan Malone is blooming (right before a contract, shocker, I know) into a top-flight power forward this season. Marion Hossa has a chip on his shoulder about his past performance in the playoffs, and is playing excellent two-way hockey. Pascal Dupuis has been energized and is playing relentless hockey since being put on a line with Crosby and Hossa. Brooks Orpik is definately coming into his prime as a defenseman and while he's always been counted on to deliver crushing checks, he's playing much more responsible in his end.

The point I'm getting at is that this isn't a matchup of youth v. experience. This isn't the 1980 Olympics. Pittsburgh has gotten where they are by being an excellent blend of players in their youth, prime, and veteran status.

Now I know the regular season doesn't mean anything when playoff time comes. But it's something to think about when you consider how often "The best team from the worst conference" is mentioned. We were 9-1 against Western teams this season. Our team greatly resembles the Nashville Predators on steroids.

Our top two lines of Sykora - Malkin - Malone and Dupuis - Crosby - Hossa are the likes of which Detroit hasn't faced in the playoffs yet. On the flip side, Pittsburgh hasn't faced a defense like Detroit's but it is worth mentioning that Pittsburgh has the #1 rated penalty kill and has allowed the fewest goals in the playoffs thus far.

Our 3rd and 4th lines have a handfull of game winning goals between them as well. Just about everything I've said about our two teams can be said about the other. Your 3rd and 4th liners contribute. Your defense obviously is better, but I think that's about the only edge Detroit has. And it's not THAT big an edge.

To those saying that Pittsburgh isn't playing team defense across the board. I honestly don't think you've been watching these guys play their first 12 games in the playoffs. Sidney Crosby bought into the defensive system, and his team hopped on board.

I've noticed a lot of Detroit goals are scoring via a screening Holmstrom or other widebody. During our first game against Philly, they were filling up our crease with widebodies and scored a couple goals for their efforts. During the second half of game 1, and games 2 and 3, rarely do you see anyone occupying our crease area due to the work or Gill, Orpik and (to a lesser extent) Gonchar and Scuderi. I believe this is going to be one of the keys to this series. Pittsburgh HAS to keep the bodies clear from the front of the net. Fortunately, 6'7" Hal Gill and 6'2" Brooks Orpik are pretty good at it.

Honestly, after watching both teams play extensively this season and the playoffs, it's not a good idea for either fan base to get too arrogant about their chances. This series has the potential to be the best series played in the last 20 years. Pittsburgh hasn't lost a home game in almost 3 months.

I hate making predictions, because it's all a crap shoot anyways, but if there was a gun to my head, the best I could do is say it's going to take at LEAST 6 games to figure this one out. We'll see, it's gonna be a nailbiter.

Penguins in 7, triple overtime, my heart explodes after the 2nd overtime and I don't survive to see my Penguins win their 3rd Cup. *sighs*

Your defense obviously is better, but I think that's about the only edge Detroit has. And it's not THAT big an edge

Face-offs. Pittsburgh suck at face-offs, Detroit pwns the entire league in them.

But yeah, should be a great series, too close to call on paper.

Your defense obviously is better, but I think that's about the only edge Detroit has. And it's not THAT big an edge.

Hi.

Yeah, really?

What edge Penguins have? Right.

I do not think it would be easy series for the Wings, but they are more mature and experienced team.

You might think Pens play great team defense, but Detroit's is even better.

We have two goalies who both win the Cup. MAF is still young.

Offense is really close, but Detroit has many more two-way forwards than you do. We have much better defense, it's not even close.

I think, and hope, that our experience will bring us the Cup.

Flyers fan here. Even if the Flyers magically make the Finals, they would have gotten killed against the Wings. The Pens aren't going to fair much better. Detroit has the forwards to matchup with Pitt, they have the defense to handle the likes of Malkin and they have the better, more experienced goalie in Osgood.

This will be one time I will gleefully cheer the Red Wings to a Stanley Cup.

I think if the Wings and Pens play, the Pens have to keep the Wings in penalty trouble. I think straight 5 on 5 the Wings win hands down. Their penalty kill is awesome but as Wings fans know sometimes we forget who's got the powerplay and act like we aren't playing a man down (See Zetterberg).

Did I just hear somebody say, having a MUCH better defensive team is not that big of an edge...............................

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

HA

Hey, Wings fans. Your team is probably the best team in the NHL at transition and making teams pay for their mistakes. Dallas seems to prove that two or three times a night. The one thing you would notice from the Pens is they don't need a lot of chances to score. Dallas does not have the finishers the Penguins have. No disrespect to Franzen, but the Pens also have more secondary scoring than the Wings. Every Penguins forward has a goal in the playoffs except Tyler Kennedy, who is a beast on the forecheck. Staal, Max Talbot, Jarrko Ruutu, and Gary Roberts all have game-winning goals in these playoffs.

Also, if you want a very entertaining, funny, and informative Penguins site, check out http://thepensblog.blogspot.com/

Detroit has played 13 games. Seven players have 10 points or more. Maybe you should do some more research.

Flyers fan here. Even if the Flyers magically make the Finals, they would have gotten killed against the Wings. The Pens aren't going to fair much better. Detroit has the forwards to matchup with Pitt, they have the defense to handle the likes of Malkin and they have the better, more experienced goalie in Osgood.

This will be one time I will gleefully cheer the Red Wings to a Stanley Cup.

Wow. Someone that's not a Wings fan actually just called Osgood a good goalie (and not only that, but actually rated him above a goalie that currently qualifies as 'hot s***'.)

You, sir, are a rare breed.

Wow. Someone that's not a Wings fan actually just called Osgood a good goalie (and not only that, but actually rated him above a goalie that currently qualifies as 'hot s***'.)

You, sir, are a rare breed.

I'd venture to guess Osgood has the same problem as Brodeur has had. (although Brodeur to a much lesser extent.) The teams Osgood has had in front of him have been phenomenal for a long time. So he's often overlooked. Now that being said, Osgood is a good goaltender. I don't think he's a great goaltender, but with the Red Wings, you don't have to be great, just make the key saves, and play sound positional hockey in goal. And Osgood does that very well.

Every Penguins forward has a goal in the playoffs except Tyler Kennedy, who is a beast on the forecheck.

The exact same is true for the Wings: Dallas Drake is the only Wings forward without a goal these playoffs.

Game winners have been scored by Zetterberg, Draper, Franzen, Lidstrom, Hudler. 73% of our points have come from somebody other than Datsyuk or Zetterberg; 69% of your points have come from someone other than Crosby or Malkin. I think our secondary scoring matches up pretty damn well.

Hi, longtime Penguins fan here - going back to the 1974-75 season. Way back them the Penguins and Red Wings were both in the Norris Division, along with Montreal, Los Angeles and Washington.

My late uncle was in the Air Force - the last place he was stationed was Selfrige - and he stayed in the Detroit area (Mt. Clemens) after his discharge. He became a passionate Red Wings fan, I remember him telling me about seeing games in the old Olympia Stadium.

The best hockey fight I ever saw - that Friday night in February 1994, when McSorley and Probert went at it for what seemed like half an hour. Great fight!

The Western Conference is generally considered to be the better conference. Nevertheless, the best division is likely the Atlantic Division - four Atlantic teams made the playoffs.

The Penguins overcame a bunch of adversity (yeah, a tired old sports cliche) this year. Crosby and Fleury missed a lot of the season. Yet, the rest of the team stepped it up and the Pens are one game away from the Finals.

Detroit has the experience. Pittsburgh has a s**tload of desire. May the better team win (if the Pens sweep - I think it's a given Detroit will dispatch the South Stars).

FWIW - the official Penguins message board is permeated with a bunch of puckbunnies and early twentysomethings who waste bandwidth bickering at each other. The threatened move of the Penguins and the arena troubles (both since resolved) led to a lot of frayed nerves and a lot of people just haven't got over it all yet.

Did I just hear somebody say, having a MUCH better defensive team is not that big of an edge...............................

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

HA

Um, no. You read this: "Your defense obviously is better, but I think that's about the only edge Detroit has. And it's not THAT big an edge."

Which you must have read the wrong way. I'm saying the difference between our two defenses isn't THAT big. Pittsburgh has done a pretty good job of keeping the crease clear, limiting the bulk of the shots we face to the perimeter and playing pretty well positionally. It's no superstar defense like you guys have in Detroit, but they're playing their system so well, it's not THAT big of an edge between the two teams.