• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
djup

What Players should the Wings move during off-season?

Rate this topic

Do me a favor, anyone, and find me a non-rookie player (or a player not destined for a payday in the near future) who will bring as much as Samuelsson for $1.2m per year.

Honestly, many of you expect absolute gold out of every last player.

As for moving people... chemistry. Sheesh. I don't know why some of you don't get that the Wings` chemistry, fostered by long-term retention of players and very small major turnover in the roster, plays a large part in their success.

Remember that Holland is a better GM than any of you will ever be.

Finally, I second servo and call many of you silly for speaking of breaking up or trading away a roster that will probably win us a championship. I often just don't understand people on these boards. A roster that wins the Cup is a roster that wins the Cup. Some people will apparently never be satisfied with the team. Too bad for those people.

"Blah blah blah blah blah...."

Moving on, I actually like Leino's chances of cracking the roster next season. It'll be an interesting option, for sure.

I'm not sure if MCarty will be able to crack the roster next year. I'd rather see them develop some other guys.

I think Flippula could have a HUGE year next year. If Franzen plays close to the level he was playing at before he got hurt they're both going to put up a lot of points

It's too bad Kopecky got injured before the playoffs. I can guarantee none of you would be calling him out.

Back on topic, We have a lot of depth, which is probably why we are doing so well in the playoffs. We have more players then we will need to start next season.

This is all my opinion:

Forwards returning: (because of contract status- under contract or RFA that will be resigned undoubtedly.)

1.Datsyuk

2.Zetterberg

3.Holmstrom

4.Samuelsson

5.Draper

6.Hudler

7.Cleary

8.Franzen

9.Maltby

10.Filppula

11.Kopecky

Forwards on the bubble:

1.Drake - Will probably retire, especially if we win the cup.

2.Downey - Holland has stated he will wait till after the playoffs to decide if he will he resigned. In my opinion it is in the air. His status in the playoffs points to becoming a UFA. I hope not...

3.McCarty - Same as Downey, but he has atleast earned a 2way for next year and will no doubt work hard at camp.

4.Hartigan - 06/07's Langfeld for 07/08. Has been out hustled by Helm. He's a goner.

5.Helm - Has been a pleasant suprise in the playoffs. However I'll put money on that unless he has an absolutely spectacular camp next year, he'll spend another season in GR to open up a roster spot on the big club and in hopes that he can produce a little more.

6.Abdelkader - Will be in GR.

7.Leino - Since I'm such an avid NHLEHM2007er, my opinion is Leino>Brunnstrom. However, by the sound of it, he needs a little work before he is completely NHL ready. But I have hopes for him. In reality, he will most likely spend atleast the beggining of the season with GR. I believe he has a Grigorenko type deal.

Defensemen Returning: (again, because of contract status and or RFA)

1.Lidstrom

2.Rafalski

3.Kronwall

4.Lebda

5.Meech

D-men bubble:

1.Chelios - would probably slot in the list above, but is on this list because he is a UFA. Will most likely be back.

2.Stuart - Holland stated he will decide if Stuart is resigned after the playoffs. He's been good, but I've read that he and his family like being in Cali. Up in the air at this point.

3.Lilja - In my opinion, he is a goner. He wasn't happy sharing time with Lebda last year, he rejected a nice contract offer this season, and I'm sure isn't happy about missing the playoffs. He'll be more useful on another team and would be easily replaced by Quincey.

4.Quincey - Is an RFA that will most likely be retained. He will be in the same boat next season that Meech was in this season, meaning he will have to hit waivers to go to GR next year. He will be a good replacement for Lilja in my opinion.

5. Ericsson - 1 more year in GR

Goalies returning:

1.Osgood - If you don't believe it, off yourself

Goalie bubble:

1.Hasek - I'll put money on retirement. He's definately lost the starting job, and I doubt he will play second fiddle at age 43.

2.Howard - I can't remember if he is waiver eligible next season or in 09/10, but if Hasek retires. Howard is the backup, unless he completely blows it in camp.

The way the lines will most likely look:

Zetterberg-Dastyuk-Holmstrom

Franzen-Filppula-Hudler/UFA/Leino

Cleary-Draper-Samuelsson/UFA/Leino

Maltby-Kopecky-McCarty?/Downey?/Drake?/Helm?/Abdelkader?/Leino?/UFA

This Leaves 2-3 spots open for either a resigned UFA depth player(McCarty, Downey, Drake) or a prospect (Helm, Abdelkader, Leino), or 1 or 2 UFA 2nd, 3rd or 4th liner(s).

Lidstrom-Rafalski

Kronwall-Stuart?/UFA/Meech

Lebda Chelios?/Meech/Quincey/Lilja?

This leaves either 1 or no spots open. Quincey will most likely be on the team next year, barring a trade. I also think either Stuart or Lilja or neither will be resigned. If it's Lilja, either he Lebda or Meech move into the #4 spot. If it's Stuart he retains the #4 spot. If it's neither, they will either sign a second pairing UFA dman, or work with what they have. In my eyes, Meech more than proved that he can play second pairing minutes, and I scratch my head as to why he isn't playing in the playoffs over Lebda.

Osgood

Howard?/UFA/Liv?

Being the best playoff goalie and nearly the best regular season goalie this year, Osgood has more than claimed the starting role for next season. Hasek is most likely a goner. Howard is probably ready to back him up, but if he isn't they will most likey sign a cheap UFA backup for a year. There is also talk of Liv returning to North America after being Swedens top goalie, but the Wings may not be his choice as he won't have a solid spot with Howard competing.

Edited by DSM

this will be good for my first career post...

first I will definitely agree w/ the prev post that it is too early to discuss this as there is still plenty of time left in the playoffs for unexpected heroics/failures from unlikely people that could change our minds... that being said here's my 2 cents barring all things remain constant:

dats-hank-holmer

flip-mule-sammy

hudler-helm-kopecky

maltby-draper-cleary

(abdelkader)

lidz-raf

kronner-stewie

ericsson-lebda

(meech/quincey)

ozzie-howard

For some side notes, we can't break up the top 2 lines because they have been pretty damn good if u ask me. Plus I'm sick of all the hating on sammy, true the guy shoots like it's his job (wait a minute??) but have you noticed his increased intensity/tenacity these playoffs? He's hitting guys & finishing his checks plus he's been mixing it up and gettin in guys faces a lot, I think that says something about him, and I like it. Next I think u guys have a short memory and forgot how well kopecky was playing at the end of the season before his injury. We need his skill and PHYSICALITY, plus not to mention he fights! Keeping Helm is a no brainer if u ask me, he's got lightning feet and he's got good poise (so far at least). Lilja is garbage can't wait till he goes, Ericsson is his replacement/upgrade. He's bigger and handles the puck better, shoots harder, and also Ericsson fights too! Drake, Cheli, Hasek, and Mac are all past their primes and we simply don't have the room for them anymore, very thankful for their contributions to the red & white though. Lastly we've got to keep Lebda, his speed and puck movement is a necessity, Ericsson and Quincey is a bad combo because it lacks speed. Personally I think Meech will be better w/ a year or two more of development. The future is bright and we have the deepest team in the league by far, jesus look at our 4th line!! GO WINGS!!!!!!

Here's what will happen: Detroit will win the cup :D

- Hasek will retire

- Drake will retire (he's stated that he only came back this year for a shot at the cup and it's been hard for him, his wife, and kids)

- Chelios will play

- Abdelkader will play a full year steamrolling through the AHL.

- Ericsson will spend another year in GR

- the only position that will be filled by UFA will be the #4 D-man (either Stuart or someone else)

- Lilja will not be resigned

- Leino will start the season in GR

2008-09 Wings: ( it looks boring but I doubt there will be many changes.

Zetterberg - Dats - Homer

Sammy- Franzen - Filpulla

Kopecky - Draper - Cleary

Hudler - Helm - Dmac/Matlby

Downey

Lids - Rafalski

Kronwall - Stuart/UFA

Chelios - Lebda

Meech

Osgood

Howard.

I agree 100%

Lilja will not be resigned, and if he is will be a bad signing by Holland for the first time in my eyes.

Stuart might be a little tricky to sign as he enjoys California and his wife is a California girl. However, he likes playing for a winning squad and should the Wings win it all this year he might want to come back to do it again.

Flip, Quincy, Eriksson and Howard are all RFA's this summer and need to be resigned. Flip definitely needs to be resigned before July 1st else we might have the Oilers swooping in to try and sign him to a huge contract. (eye roll) We will have a better idea if management thinks Howard is stillt he goalie of the future by if they sign him before July 1st or take a wait and see attitude. Eriksson and Quincy will be signed, might take a little bit but will get done.

I'd personally like to see Sammy moved as I believe he has shown his inability to contribute regardless of the coaching trying to tell the world otherwise. For a guy who is supposed to be a top 6 forward, he plays worse than a 4th line forward. 3rd highest shot total on the team this season with a 4.4% avg and 11 goals. Unacceptable.

Hasek, time to hit the pasture

Cheli, give him another $850k contract and play him maybe half the games. Make it clear we want him back but to mentor Meech, Quincy, Kindl and Eriksson. You can't beat having his presence in the locker room and what he can teach the young kids is just to valuable to give up so soon.

Drake will probaly retire. Has played great during the playoffs and that is exactly why he was signed.

Downey should be signed to another 2 way while Mac should get an invite to camp but no promises.

Hartigan, Stafford won't be back.

With all the talent left the lines for next year shouldn't change to much.

Z - Dats - Homer

Frazen - Flip - Sammy (Unless we can move him then Hudler here)

Cleary - Draper - Maltby

Kopecky(if healthy) - Helm - Hudler

Abdelkader/Leino/Downey

Raffy - Lids

Kronner - ?Stuart

Cheli - Lebda

Meech, Quincy, Kindl, Eriksson

I think the forwards will be fighting next year for jobs in camp, its going to be really nice to see with alll the young talent we have fighting to get a spot on the team. We might see some trades in the summer or at the draft, it could be a very interesting summer in Detroit.

Now with so many young players on defense, I would not be surprised to see Holland trade one of the 4 (Quincy or Meech most likely) young d-men to get a veteran to replace Stuart if he doesn't resign. Camp next year will be really intense and we could see some of the young guys stepping up to challenge for spots.

Guest Crymson
"Blah blah blah blah blah...."

Coming from Mr. "We're Screwed because of Holland's lack of activity at the deadline, so I will no longer be a Wings fan this season, but now that the Wings are in fact doing well I've jumped onto the bandwagon," that's pretty rich.

Coming from Mr. "We're Screwed because of Holland's lack of activity at the deadline, so I will no longer be a Wings fan this season, but now that the Wings are in fact doing well I've jumped onto the bandwagon," that's pretty rich.

Except I never gave up on the Wings. And it's been that way since I was two.

You expect certain things of a fan -- I get that. But I don't expect those same things. Because I'm not a joyless hardass.

No more talking about me. No mas.

Edited by Dabura

That's why you're here Crymson. It's your self-proclaimed job to tell other posters how to behave. Just tell us what to do and we'll all follow your lead since you happen to know best. :rolleyes:

Do you think that the Wings should move any players during the off-season? I think we can afford to lose a couple players to make room for some young Griffins talent.

Players that should retire:

Chelios

Hasek

Drake

Players that should be moved:

Samuelsson (hasn't performed up to par IMO this season)

Kopecky (has potential, but isn't developing fast enough)

Lilja (the Wings weakest defenseman, and we need room for new players)

Players that should be brought up:

Meech (maybe could be put on forward}

Ericsson (to replace Lilja)

and Leino will also be a good forward replacement

This is how I envision the lineup for next year

Datsyuk | Zetterberg | Holmstrom

Franzen | Filppula | Cleary

Leino | Draper | Hudler

Maltby | Helm | McCarty

Lidstrom | Rafalski

Stuart | Kronwall

Ericsson | Lebda

Osgood

Howard (or that Swedish goalie we are planning signing)

Scratches:

Downey

Meech

I bet a lot of teams wish they had problems with their team being TOO deep.

There are too many good players on the Wings....someone take some! SHARE THE TALENT!

screw that why share the talent you idiot keep the same team maybe add a few other good ones we get our hands on, lets not be like buffalo and throw away our dynasty instead of trying to build one. and it wont be howrad and osgood it will be miller and ozzie.

Stuart needs to leave... he sucks. He has no idea how our system works, he's always playing the puck away from our rush, he gives the puck away so much. He did the same thing here in LA, I hated him when he played for the Kings and knew it was a bad idea for Detroit. Sure he's big and occasionally hits people, but big deal, I'd much rather see Quincey.

No one says that he is bad.

What we say is that he sucks.

This statement made me Lol

Along with Bob Nystrom, Lilja is the best Swedish born enforcer in NHL history.

:blink: :blink: :blink: you can't be serious.. lololololol

They should remove/move all players the don't perform in this years playoffs.... no more... no less

I say Sammy. After tonight, he has pushed my buttons one to many times. I left him alone for a long time - but everyone is right. He is bad.

Stop the presses!!! is this true? you finally came around to the "right" side... and we didn't even offer you cookies or nuttin'

*Rethinks the whole bribing scheme as conversion seems to work without it*

Edited by OsGOD

Wigns usually move 3-5 players in the offseason with new faces, whether it be youngsters or free agents. So I'm expecting a little more this summer because age has finally caught up with a few guys + the previously stated 3-5 guys coming and going.

so obviously...

Datsyuk - Zetterberg - Holmstrom

Franzen - Filppula - Samuelsson

and then you have Cleary, Maltby, Draper, Hudler for sure, Helm should have a spot, Leino will be competing for one as well as Abdelkader. McCarty, Drake and Downey may be gone. That is basically our forward situation, we may sign a forward, 2nd/3rd line caliber who can score 10-15 goals a season and plays a solid defensive game.

As for the Defense, Lidstrom, Rafalski, Kronwall are on board. Chelios would probably love to come back but I'd rather seem him doing something in the front office or an assistant coach or something, because we need to let our younger guys develop a little more. Lilja may not be resigned by the looks of it, which is okay because it would serve the same purpose as Chelios retiring and letting a younger guy get some icetime. Lebda is under contract still I think, and as much as we all think that he should go, he is a fiscally responsible defenseman to have on the team. So let Quincey, Meech and Lebda battle it out for the bottom pair. The Stuart situation is up in the air, but all signs pointed to him leaving as soon as he got here, with his life+family still out on the west coast. He has played pretty well and would complete our top 4 nicely. If he decides to leave, so be it. We would replace him via free agency most likely.

Goaltending... I think we all expect Hasek to be gone after this season, because of his age and role on this team. He may be able to get a starting gig on a weaker team like LA, but does he really want to play for a losing squad? Osgood is our starter as he should be and should have been all year long. Jimmy Howard should make the transition from AHL to NHL, competing with this other tender from Sweden for the backup spot.

All in all we have a very deep and talented team that should be contenders for years to come

Wigns usually move 3-5 players in the offseason with new faces, whether it be youngsters or free agents. So I'm expecting a little more this summer because age has finally caught up with a few guys + the previously stated 3-5 guys coming and going.

so obviously...

Datsyuk - Zetterberg - Holmstrom

Franzen - Filppula - Samuelsson

and then you have Cleary, Maltby, Draper, Hudler for sure, Helm should have a spot, Leino will be competing for one as well as Abdelkader. McCarty, Drake and Downey may be gone. That is basically our forward situation, we may sign a forward, 2nd/3rd line caliber who can score 10-15 goals a season and plays a solid defensive game.

As for the Defense, Lidstrom, Rafalski, Kronwall are on board. Chelios would probably love to come back but I'd rather seem him doing something in the front office or an assistant coach or something, because we need to let our younger guys develop a little more. Lilja may not be resigned by the looks of it, which is okay because it would serve the same purpose as Chelios retiring and letting a younger guy get some icetime. Lebda is under contract still I think, and as much as we all think that he should go, he is a fiscally responsible defenseman to have on the team. So let Quincey, Meech and Lebda battle it out for the bottom pair. The Stuart situation is up in the air, but all signs pointed to him leaving as soon as he got here, with his life+family still out on the west coast. He has played pretty well and would complete our top 4 nicely. If he decides to leave, so be it. We would replace him via free agency most likely.

Goaltending... I think we all expect Hasek to be gone after this season, because of his age and role on this team. He may be able to get a starting gig on a weaker team like LA, but does he really want to play for a losing squad? Osgood is our starter as he should be and should have been all year long. Jimmy Howard should make the transition from AHL to NHL, competing with this other tender from Sweden for the backup spot.

All in all we have a very deep and talented team that should be contenders for years to come

STEP AWAY from the crack pipe son. You want to keep Sammy and put have him on the second line? Babcock should have walked into the locker room and ripped the wheel right off his chest and sent him packing last night. Having an off night is one thing, but saying that was bush league hockey from him last night would be an insult to bush league guys. If I got stuck playing pond hockey with someone playing that bad I'd take my skates off and go home.