• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

timothy1997

ESPN's Mike Greenberg predicts a comeback

Rate this topic

i can assure you that neither one of the "mike's" know what they're talking about when they somehow amazingly talk hockey on their show. id prefer them to not talk hockey if this is what is going to come from it...

Truth. Golic knows football, but neither one knows the first thing about hockey.

My local affiliate is interesting. There's one show with two hosts- one is a hockey fan, the other is trying to learn. Granted, he says some dumb stuff every so often, but at least he's trying.

We still haven't played as well as we could. And I dont think we will either. Losing Stu Barnes in game 6 against San Jose to concussion like symptoms did a number on our team. He was our best defensive draw centerman, and plays a huge part in our penalty kill.

We're just a beaten and broken down team rightnow and I hope we can at least pull out one win. I didnt put any stock into the 33 years thing when thats all San Jose would talk about, so Im not going to on this side of it either.

Detroit is the better team and will probably advance. That being said, some of you folks here really need a big slice of humble pie.

Maybe we could stand to be a little less high-flying. But humble pie is not in order. What's needed is for the Stars to find themselves a huge steaming mug of give-a-s***. Not bashing you, or Stars fans....but if it sounds like I'm bashing the Stars themselves, I am. The Wings 5th goal yesterday was inexcusable - Turco is lounging on the net watching three or four of his teammates allow Zetterberg to skate in directly from the bench, singlehandedly take possession of the puck (he didn't even have to hit anyone!) and set up the goal. Complete lack of focus on the part of the Stars. And totally, totally inexcuseable given the situation in the game and the series. It's that goal that makes me believe the sweep is inevitable.

The Stars have not led this series - they haven't even so much as managed to tie it at a score higher than 1 except for one unfortunate bounce off our defenseman's leg. And Datsyuk's third goal exposed a total lack of focus. The Stars just aren't in the right frame of mind to compete with a team as talented and as hot as the Wings. Makes you wonder if they're just happy to have escaped 4OT's. Unless they found some motivation yesterday or today, this series will be over in about eight hours.

Well the thing people need to remember is it's a leap year...my belief is leap years throw a wrench in sports "patterns"....for a great example the Red Sox broke their World Series drought in 2004....a leap year.......so I don't put much stock in the 33 years thing coming true (besides the fact that it has only happened twice which hardly makes it a pattern)....

Go Wings! Let's close this series out tonight!

Give me a break.

People are justified in saying this series is over, because hey, guess what -- it is. Any fan who's still uttering the "We haven't won anything" mantra is a masochist. Let Lidstrom and co. do the serious talking. We as fans should be relishing this stranglehold.

"Breath of fresh air." Right. :rolleyes:

This coming from the guy that gave up on the Wings chances before the postseason even started. Give me a break!

No series is over until a team wins 4 games. I'm not saying the chances aren't slim to none, but the series isn't over. You're the type of person that burns bridges only to be caught on the side thats even worse off.

Well the main thing is The Wings aren't looking ahead to the Finals, they're a bunch of pros and know the 4th game is the hardest to win. It's our job as fans to get ahead of ourselves and act like a bunch of Homers, and I'm not talking about the Holmstrom kind.

To me, I'd rather be the guy that didn't talk about blowing through teams only to have what seemed like an unsinkable ship hit an iceberg.

I totally hear what you are saying, but I don't care for listening to people joking about how Game 4 shouldn't even take place because the Stars "obviously don't belong in the NHL".

but if it sounds like I'm bashing the Stars themselves, I am. The Wings 5th goal yesterday was inexcusable - Turco is lounging on the net watching three or four of his teammates allow Zetterberg to skate in directly from the bench, singlehandedly take possession of the puck (he didn't even have to hit anyone!) and set up the goal. Complete lack of focus on the part of the Stars. And totally, totally inexcuseable given the situation in the game and the series. It's that goal that makes me believe the sweep is inevitable.

My problem was more of the Wings 4th goal. I didn't notice it until Bruce MacLeod said in one of his blog posts, but Ribeiro and Robidas just stop skating and left Richards out there to dry. Especially Robidas you are a d-man and you are watching one of the best players in the league take one of your fowards trying to play D to school.

My problem was more of the Wings 4th goal. I didn't notice it until Bruce MacLeod said in one of his blog posts, but Ribeiro and Robidas just stop skating and left Richards out there to dry. Especially Robidas you are a d-man and you are watching one of the best players in the league take one of your fowards trying to play D to school.

I couldn't agree more. That was beyond disgusting because you just watch Z slide down the side of the ice while those two clowns just let it happen assuming nothing bad could happen.

The Turco Loungin' was bad, but the SH goal when your team is down by a single goal with 18 full minutes left to play is even worse. That's not even taking away anything from Turco's stupidity. He gave up on his team with just under 3 minutes to go and the team only trailing by 2.

Hmmmm. I'll have to take a look. Didn't notice that - you'd think it would have occurred to me to wonder why there's no backchecker at all. Which there obviously wasn't, because now that you mention it, I remember Doc Emrick saying something after the goal that most of the time in a situation like that, the player with the puck will get antsy and shoot too soon.....he gave Z credit for having the patience to finish his move. The way Z skated from circle to circle like that, there ought to have been time for a backchecker to get there.

So both goals in the third reflect a pretty egregious lack of focus by Dallas. Even worse than I thought....and I thought it was pretty bad.

I totally hear what you are saying, but I don't care for listening to people joking about how Game 4 shouldn't even take place because the Stars "obviously don't belong in the NHL".

Yea I agree. It's pretty obvious Dallas has nothing left in the tank after beating Anaheim and San Jose. They've had the toughest road in the playoffs, playing the 3 best/toughest teams in the league.

Props to The Stars for making it this far.

Yea I agree. It's pretty obvious Dallas has nothing left in the tank after beating Anaheim and San Jose. They've had the toughest road in the playoffs, playing the 3 best/toughest teams in the league.

Agreed 100% with the bold part!!!

They have some good young talent and should be right back in the hunt of things next season, regardless if they come back to win this series or not!

Greeny and Golic have an entertaining show to a certain extent, having said that, thats exactly what it is, entertainment. First off they work for ESPN, so their hockey knowledge is gimped by nature, on top of that if you watch them regularly you know their knowledge is probably best spent on the sport of football and just look at how many of their week to week picks are wrong during the season.

I wouldn't put any stock in it, Greeny is a broadcaster not an expert, not to mention he's the "funny" guy of the duo Golic knows sports more, and even he doesn't know anything about hockey, and he'd probably be excited to admit it, hell he might even get a bonus for that somewhere in his ESPN contract.

This coming from the guy that gave up on the Wings chances before the postseason even started. Give me a break!

No series is over until a team wins 4 games. I'm not saying the chances aren't slim to none, but the series isn't over. You're the type of person that burns bridges only to be caught on the side thats even worse off.

I'm 100% with you on this, Mac.

This board needs to calm down a bit. Let's get our 4th win first then get a little cocky. Goodness.

...all this "Cup Final" talk is annoying as well, but, yeah, the Stars have to win the next four to beat the Wings and that includes 2 more at the Joe, where Turco, well, we know what happens to Turco at the JLA...

...Greensberg should go back to hollywood and and ESPN should leave the NHL to us...

They've had the toughest road in the playoffs, playing the 3 best/toughest teams in the league.

you speak big truth

they had to go through two rounds of very physical teams, including an epic OT, just to meet up with the shiny big ball of light that is the red wings.

let there be no mistake, the dallas team will be competitive for years to come-they have a good young corps and a good (if not boisterous) brain trust.

they showed their mettle, and despite some goonery, i give my props.

and i think that we should all chip in for turco's therapy sessions aftet the series is over...("i see datsyuk!!! i see datsyuk!!!..no i don't...ahhh!")

Edited by zombiewing

It's possible, and I continue to be nervous even though we have a 3-0 lead.

I was also nervous when we went down 1-0 against Colorado. Anyways, Dallas is playing for honor at this point, and Detroit has never won 10 games in a row.

Let today be the day. Deetroit.

Oh so you can tweak out, take some time off, come back and rip other people's opinions (actually they are facts because the series is not over yet) and you are the one who is in the right.

I'm sorry, I must have missed the moment in my life when I was given control over people's free will. If they want to believe something and argue in favor something, then they should -- it's not like I can stop them, or believe that my opinion is always "better" than theirs. I'm simply an opinionated person.

Apparently, so are you. But I'm not going to follow you around and cry about you being a fascist. I recommend following my lead, because you're not really proving anything otherwise.

Moving on...Stars won't win this series.

Edited by Dabura

Just thought I would share this with everyone;

While eating my breakfast this morning, I turn on ESPN's Mike&Mike in the morning. Now I dont put much stock into ESPN or Mike&Mike about their hockey info but what I saw next shocked me.

They go thru their predictions of NBA playoffs like Boston or Cleveland winning their series and then move onto the NHL. Mike Golic goes first and calls the wings-stars series "OVER". And then Greenberg goes "it happens every 33 years, I am predicting the Stars will comeback against the Red Wings and win the series". After nearly choking on my breakfast after hearing that, Greenberg next goes "if the comeback doesnt come from the Stars then the Flyers will comeback against the Pens..mark my words, it will happen in one of these series".

Greenberg has always been a weasel for me and like I said first, I don't put much stock into this prediction. I was just shocked. Thanks Mike&Mike and ESPN for ruining my breakfast.

haha thats funny theres no way dallas is coming back on us niether is philly

I'm sorry, I must have missed the moment in my life when I was given control over people's free will. If they want to believe something and argue in favor something, then they should -- it's not like I can stop them, or believe that my opinion is always "better" than theirs. I'm simply an opinionated person.

Apparently, so are you. But I'm not going to follow you around and cry about you being a fascist. I recommend following my lead, because you're not really proving anything otherwise.

Moving on...Stars won't win this series.

LOL

Follow you aound, LOL

You probably didn't notice, but I post in just about every thread on this board, so therefore I am bound to run across one or two of your posts.

You and I are opinionated people I agree 100%, but I appear to a different measuring stick for whether or not my opinion makes sense or if I am being unrealistic.

But if it bothers you that I point out how you bailed on the team when they were in first place because Holland couldn't land Hossa, then I recommend next year at the deadline keep you opinion to yourself, or deal with people calling you out on it!

If I were on here saying that Dats was a bust and should be traded for Michael Ryder (I am not saying that BTW) than I would expect everyone to bash me when Dats puts up great numbers.

Don't expect to walk away for a couple of weeks and come back and think that no one will remember such gems as this:

THis club RIGHT NOW scares me going in to the post season .... Hudler USELESS........Downey..goon only.......Cleary Missed BIG TIME and we sign McCarty?? OK a bargain if he scores 3 goals and lays on some decent hits and keeps GRINDING away.... My Point is the "D" in the west has figured our top line out i think they have given them NO ROOM to skate and Homer has been nullified due to lack of shooting!!!! Bottom Line for me We ARE IN BIG TROUBLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

past the 1st round IF we are lucky

or my favorite of yours:

Someone link me to a Caps board. Ima headin' East.

Follow you aound, LOL

Yes, follow me around -- e.g., digging up quotes from old threads just to one-up me.

I'll say it again: I've never given up on this team. If your smoking gun is me saying I'm going to a Capital forum, you're more misguided than I had thought; that quote is me being sarcastic and throwing in a little self-deprecation for good measure. You won't find a post in which I say I'm no longer a Wings fan, or that I wish bad things on them, etc. Moreover, if all you're trying to tell me is that I'm an ass who shouldn't expect people to take me seriously, then why not lead by example -- show all the posters how easy it is to ignore me instead of engaging me in personal battles.

Edited by Dabura

It's bad enough when the hockey "experts" prattle on and on. When someone who admits to knowing next to nothing about hockey comes up with this crap it is laughable. The ONLY hockey person that has a decent take on ESPN is Bucci. He's probably the most objective and has some really good insights. Why can't the idiots at ESPN have him talk hockey instead of Melrose. Even EJ Hradek makes more sense.

I just love how people think in cycles and that becuase its 33 years later its time for a team to come back from 3 - 0 down. If that were how it works, we are about 20,000 years past the 600,000 year mark of Yellowstone exploding and wiping out most of the living things on the planet.

*sarcasm on* Guess Detroit needs to get their golf clubs ready right? :rolleyes: *sarcasm off*

I'm still nervous for Saturday, it's just as important the Wings win as it is for the Stars. If the Starts win it's 3-2 and I don't like our odds in Dallas for game 6 with the the way the game is being called there.

Also, there is just a part of me that Turco is due for a win at the Joe. All that said I am just nervous and being a little pessimistic about this whole thing.