• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest LivingtheDream

So, how about the Pens?

Rate this topic

Absolutely agree on the face off advantage...its been our weakness forever...however Staal and Crosby hold their own.....

Experience...thats a tough X-factor...one of the things Ive been most impressed with for the Pens is the extreme poise and focus of our young core....after finishing the Flyers...you couldnt tell in the players faces if we had won or lost....laser focus....much attributed to the coach and how expertly he manages this young group

I cant wait to see this series!!

Feel free to overlook our defensive excellence....everyone else has.....

Best GAA in the playoffs...and before you start in on who we have played....

Thw Wings have not exactly gone up against any offensively excellent teams (Nashville, Colorado, Dallas)

I know for a fact Dallas is much better than Sens, Rags or Flyers.

Your GAA stat is useless. It means nothing. You might have 3 shutouts against Rags or Sens or Flyers..but how will that help you against Wings? Same goes for Wings.

It's been noticeable to you? I doubt you've been watching then. Malkin I'll give you, he has seemed to get thrown of his game with that style of play (throw in a little dirtiness and it gets worse). Malkin ends up getting dirty himself in this type of game, similar to playing against Canada in the World Juniors. Haven't seen this side of him until these playoffs though.

In terms of Crosby, I'd almost say he enjoys it. I think for brief moments in time, he may get thrown off (a shift or two), but in general, I think it makes him play better. Philadelphia plays him more physcial/dirty than any other team and he plays best against them than any other team.

Here's my quick breakdown of how the teams measure up:

Offense - Pens

Defense - Wings (by a larger margin than the Pens edge on offense, but the Pens are not terrible by any means)

Special Teams - Slight edge to the Pens or a wash, pretty close, even though the Pens look better in the playoffs.

Goaltending - I think this is a wash, Fleury is more talented, but Osgood is more experienced, which is key, especially in the SCF

Faceoffs - Wings, by a landslide. The reason I bring this up is that I really think this is key. It is going to be difficult for the Pens to be starting almost every play without the puck.

I said it last week when this looked to be the matchup, I think the Wings experience will be the deciding factor. I think both teams and fans have a reason to be confident, but I think it would be silly for either side to overlook the opponent. I would think this would be a longer series, but that doesn't mean one side couldn't finish it off in 4 or 5.

this is a very educated post, i think you underestimate our defence though. you forgot...

physical toughness: this is close, but pens take it...can you imagine getting pounded for 60 minutes by laraque, gill, ruutu, and if roberts gets healthy, forget about it. laraque and gill alone add up to 13 feet and 500 pounds of physical punishment.

The real question is how far into the series will it go before some idiot here complains that we could've gotten Hossa if Holland didn't suck so bad.

How far do you think it will take in the series before some die hard wings fans makes a post saying that they hate holland and they hate the redwings. Or how long do you think a post will pop up saying now its time to panic.

this is a very educated post, i think you underestimate our defence though. you forgot...

physical toughness: this is close, but pens take it...can you imagine getting pounded for 60 minutes by laraque, gill, ruutu, and if roberts gets healthy, forget about it. laraque and gill alone add up to 13 feet and 500 pounds of physical punishment.

Laraque plays 60 mins? Since when?

I think we have physical edge. Kronwall hits much better than Hal Skill. Drake is a beast.

Ruutu is only poor sucker. Really. Poor mans Avery.

Our guys can handle physical play. And Penguins are not physical team, neither are Wings. (I consider Ducks physical).

Your second line is better..that's your offensive edge.

I think we have physical edge. Kronwall hits much better than Hal Skill. Drake is a beast.

Our guys can handle physical play. And Penguins are not physical team, neither are Wings. (I consider Ducks physical).

Zetts and Dats better than Crosby and Hoss? :blink:

with your economy, maybe you need to think about getting some schooling! no way either team sweeps.. :lol:

Im just curious and I know this has nothing to do with the topic but are you a pens fan? if so what does 33 have to do with anything? No player on the pens is 33. And anyone here seeing the number 33 thinks of our Chuck Norris look a like favorite Kris Draper. Just curious. :lol:

But I will contribute to this thread. Yes I believe that Z and Pav are better then crosby and hossa. Stats aside, its called chemistry. 4 or so years playing day in day out together is something you cant teach. But your two are still very skilled.

Oh yeah, education is much needed for Wings fans, case in point:

Yeaaa Right! Pay attention knuckleheads. I'm a Wings fan. I know you guys are all tootin your own horn.Thats great.but,and this is a big BUT, guess whos playing on saturday? The Mule! He makes Holmstrom look like a sissy in front of the net.Did I mention he has'nt been playing? We've been saving him just for you. He's out scored all your best in less games too. Hope you've been watching Pavel, so you have an idea of what he'll do to anyone of your best skating with the puck.Number-1 in the league with the most take aways. If you don't give him enough room he's by you.Don't forget who's got the best defense in the league.Check out who's got the best goals against record. Check the highlights on coming over the red line against Detroit (Kronwell).Oh yea,let's not forget who controls and passes the puck the best in the league.I'm done tootin our horn now.I've watched your team all year long too and you guys are great,but you don't have the speed on the ice skating the Wings have. I just hope you've got the ability to adjust the way the wings adjust to a teams ability.I hope it goes 7 games so the fans can watch 2 of the best teams in the NHL.Good Luck Penguins! May the best team win and the refs swallow the whistles! GO Wings!

First of all you are blind..... Look who the Penguins beat... no-ONE, The Penguins are not going to even be a challenge for the Red Wings. You are blind in another way too........ The style the Pens play is that VERRY crapy eastern style of hockey and that type of hockey will NOT beat the Western Style and the Detroit Red Wings are the verry best at it tongue.gif We not only won the regular season, we are going to Win the post season hands down, I can tell you right now that the Pens will not even win One game against The Wings.....No way in H-e- doulbe Hockey sticks. The eastern teams have not been a threat to Detroit for years now and one little, young, gung-ho Team is going to beat The ELITE Detroit Red Wings... Detroits depth is too deap for the Penguins to swim at that level. We made it to the 3rd round last year, made the top of the NHL by Turkey day and stayed ontop all season long. There was a time when this season we were ahead of the rest by over 20 points and then they hit the coast botton until the play offs. Detroit will not be a easy oponent for the Pens.. In fact its going to be the other way areound. Lord Stanley's Cup belongs to the Red Wings and we are Taking it back to Hockey Town were it belongs........ With a ORIGINAL 6 TEAM, Im sorry but the Pens are not as good as you THINK they are........LOL

Im just curious and I know this has nothing to do with the topic but are you a pens fan? if so what does 33 have to do with anything? No player on the pens is 33. And anyone here seeing the number 33 thinks of our Chuck Norris look a like favorite Kris Draper. Just curious. :lol:

But I will contribute to this thread. Yes I believe that Z and Pav are better then crosby and hossa. Stats aside, its called chemistry. 4 or so years playing day in day out together is something you cant teach. But your two are still very skilled.

'33' has just always been my lucky number. I grew up in Latrobe, former home of Rolling Rock.

They have the Crosby line as far as chemistry, but Crosby and Hossa have been mixing well this postseason.

:thumbup:

First, why you did post 2 posts instead of one?

Second, please quote whole post. Thanks.

Zetterberg is better than Crosby.

Datsyuk is better than Hossa.

Holmstrom is better than Dupuis.

i never said laraque plays 60 minutes, but the combined ice time of the 4 mentioned (permitting roberts is healthy) is well over 60 minutes. the pens are a team that can play many styles of hockey, including physical. the thing i am worried about more than your defence, more than your goal tending, more than your first line, is the wings experience. they been here before and no matter how good the pens are, you cant buy scf experience. i think this is going to ba a great series.

btw...is anyone else pissed off that vs. gets the first 2 games of the scf? half the nation doesnt even get vs.! if they want to make hockey more popular, they have a perfect chance this year w/ these 2 teams in the finals. but half the nation couldnt watch it even if they wanted too!

Zetterberg is better than Crosby? You are in for a show Saturday night.. :lol:

LOL....I'll give you Datsyuk (not by alot) and Holmstrom (by alot)

Care to match up against Malone-Malkin-Sykora?

Zetterberg is better than Crosby? You are in for a show Saturday night.. :lol:

haha thats EXACTLY what dallas fans said. "The wings are in for a show", "They dont know whats ocming to them"

...okay yea. I agree the pens are much better then dallas but i think we let up after being 3-0. This is the Stanley Cup Finals against a very good team that the wings will need no motivation getting ready for. Im sure we will be ready. It should be an intense series and first game on saturday.

LOL....I'll give you Datsyuk (not by alot) and Holmstrom (by alot)

Filppula Franzen Samuelsson

I belive they can limit your second line to just few goals in the series. And Mule will score few too :D

Break Crosby... Break the Pens

Sorry but they would crumble if Crosby gets nulified

EAST blows

Drake Downey Dmac

Philly already exposed Malkin is a puss... and not the Octo matter type in this case

Edited by OsGOD

EAST blows

Drake Downey Dmac

Philly already exposed Malkin is a puss... and not the Octo matter type in this case

Haha, what happened to the Penguins after Crosby got injured in the regular season? :lol:

Haha, what happened to the Penguins after Crosby got injured in the regular season? :lol:

I was to busy watching the wings beat down the NHL to care about what was happening to the NHL's loverboy

I am sure Betty will do whatever he can to give Sid the cup.... we just have to be that much better.

EAST blows

Drake Downey Dmac

crosby missed 32 regular season games. we still won the hardest division in hockey.

pens against the west 8-1-1 this year

Where the Wings can really capitalize:

The Penguins are abysmal at the faceoff, with Malkin not even at 40%. The Red Wings have dominated teams much better than the Penguins at the faceoff circle. Malkin coughs up pucks regularly as well. All this will play directly into the hands of a puck possession team.

Where the Penguins can really capitalize:

The Wings have been taking a *LOT* of penalties... most killed well, but often times giving up open net shots the Stars miffed on. Penguins have better finishers, as well as special teams, that those pucks will be buried more times than not.