• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest LivingtheDream

So, how about the Pens?

Rate this topic

Guest LivingtheDream

Please, those of you with real and imagined hockey smarts, tell us how we match up. Pens have awesome offense, but it seems like we dictate the game with our style and system. They may have some highlight reel forwards, but our two stars are fricking unbelievable on BOTH ends of the ice and, I might add, didn't just discover playing two way hockey in the last few weeks. Seems we are evenly matched on everything except D, shots on and shots allowed where Detroit is tops. If we play our game, I don't see how we can be beat.

I dunno but I was over at the pens board and they sure are a cocky bunch....... I know as Wings fans we are a bit cocky but we have every reason to be. Just look at our track record :)

I would definitly say confidence around here was invisable the last two games. Which is the norm around here!

As far as match up, I don't think the Wings have played a team like the Pens yet this playoff's. The same respect for the Pens. As far as scoring they are our biggest threat. Goaltending? Possibly but that was said about Ellis, Theadore and Turco we know who won that battle. I am nervous and am not by any means assuming a win. The Wings have every tool needed to win, will they use them? I think so.

GO WINGS!!!!!!!!!!! Stanley Cup M'F'n Finals!!!!!!!!!!!!

The real question is how far into the series will it go before some idiot here complains that we could've gotten Hossa if Holland didn't suck so bad.

I love this post! Not only because it is funny but it is also so F'n true!!!!

Pens have not gone against a team like the wings these playoffs i think the wings have a great chance of taking down the pens... i say wings in 6 or 7 and crosby will cry and AO will laugh at him <_<:thumbup: :thumbup:

Edited by Duck Guy

As a Pens fan, I think the greatest problem of stopping the Penguins thus far has been being able to shut down both lines. Most teams have a dominate top line, the Penguins have two. When Crosby's line is being focused on and shut down, Malkin's line shines and vise versa.

Dupuis - Crosby - Hossa

Malone - Malkin - Sykora

If Detroit is to win the cup, they've got to find a way to respect both as top lines and find a way to shut both of them down.

I say that in true Disney movie form it'll go to Game 7, then someone will discover a long-forgotten loophole in the NHL's rules allowing select players from every team Pittsburgh has defeated to suit up for then. With three minutes to go, game tied, Wings Flyers Rangers and Senators will attain a Captain-Planet-esque fusion, resulting in a slapshot so hard it sends Fleury smashing through the plexiglass behind him.

Honestly, I think it is about as even as a matchup as you can get from my limited knowledge of the Penguins. They've seemed to eliminate the perception that they don't play defense and are all finesse. They definitely have plenty of skill like Detroit, and added a few big bodies recently like Laraque and Gill that certainly do their roles on the ice. Both teams are pretty stacked both offensively and defensively. The only uncertainty that I think exists, and I really may be reaching to deep for an uncertainty, is Pittsburgh in goal. Not that Fleury doesn't have it or has been terrible, not even close. You just wander how he's going to react in the Finals going against somebody who's already 'tended in them once.

My part homeristic pic is Wings in a full 7.

Guest MrSandMan

We have too much defense for Pens to penetrate. Our offensive will capitalize on their weak defense and Fluey will see a Flurry of shots. This will wear them down and self destruct. They don't have leadership or experience to fight back from the adversity that Detroit impose.

i say wings in 6 or 7 and crosby will cry and AO will laugh at him dry.

I think that is funny.

I think the Pens have been good offensively. But have they met the likes of Lidstrom/Rafi/Kronwall/Stuart?

I think they will be getting a rude awakening when Kronner hits them or even Drake. I think we will play a more physical game then they are used too. Plus, Drake and a few others REALLY want this bad and they have more experience so they should take it in 5 or 6!!

There better not be a SiD the Kid homer butt's too big cry baby session!

Edited by Favshortie51913

Overall, our top line should be able to outplay their top line

Datsyuk Zetterberg Homer

vs

Crosby Hossa Dupuis

Yes, the Crosby line has some serious firepower, but Zetterberg is tied for the lead in points with Crosby, and Datsyuk is in a close second, so offense is a draw at best. Defensively, both Dats and Zetterberg are Selke finalists. Thats a heavy defensive edge to the first line.

Then you have Malkin Malone and Sykora. If the Wings can isolate Malkin and shut him down as an individual, I think the rest of the line will crash and burn. However, that means our second line will have to play phenomenal defense, maybe even throw Draper onto a shutdown line against Malkin's line.

A recurring theme to the Pens losses this year also have to do with shutting down Crosby and Malkin. Not only do they not reach the scoresheet when they're taken care of, but they get furious and let their angers get the best of them. This results in powerplay time for the Wings; something we should be able to capitalize on.

Anyway, X-factors are definitely between Fleury as a first time SCF goalie, and a generally new goalie overall, yet proven playoff performer this year, and Franzen, in whether he can come back in the finals, and if he does, whether he can keep performing to a degree to rival Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Crosby, and Malkin. If the Wings can get him firing on all cylinders, the series is as good as over.

Pens defence has improved over the past few seasons but it definitely won't be able to match up against the Wings. It will be like taking candy from little kids. I'm thinking Homer will get his bum up in front of Fleury and tip in a few.

Penguins have Wings but can't fly. Too bad hey?

Well, when the CFs began I figured that Pittsburgh would have an easier time than Detroit getting the series win since Biron is no Turco. Thankfully for us, Fleury is no Turco either.

Wings' Advantages

- Puck-possession system (Preds, Avs, Stars knew what to expect. How will the Pens respond?)

- Two-way game (e.g., two biggest offensive threats are also up for the Selke)

- Transition game (i.e., puck-moving D)

- Team D

- Hank and Dats (each a more complete player than any player on the Pens)

- The Homer (and Mule *knock on wood*) factor (i.e., havoc in front of the net)

- The best top 4 in the league

- Experience

- Playing in the West (which, I'm sorry, is tougher than the East)

- Osgood (experience, playing the best hockey of his career, can more than hold his own against Fleury)

Pens' Advantages

- Crosby and Malkin (arguably more explosive than Hank and Dats)

- Offensive depth (I think ZDH is the best line on hockey, but I'm willing to concede the Pens' top 6 is scarier than the Wings')

- Power play (see "Offensive depth." Wings can't afford to go down a man as often as they did this past game, zebra conspiracy or not)

- No key injuries

- Enforcers

I'm liking the Wings in 5. The Wings just need to play their game, get early leads, and STAY OUT OF THE BOX. Getting Mule back would also help.

Can't wait for Saturday!

Guest MrSandMan
Well, when the CFs began I figured that Pittsburgh would have an easier time than Detroit getting the series win since Biron is no Turco. Thankfully for us, Fleury is no Turco either.

And the Pens are no gritty Dallas. I like this matchup!