• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Doggy

Secondary Scoring

Rate this topic

I've not at any stage thought that our secondary scoring was a problem. IMO we have the best 3rd line in the league and the best 4th line in the league. This, of course is arguable, but they are certainly up there. However, I consistently continue to hear that secondary scoring is a problem.

Can someone please explain why? Zetterberg, Datsyuk and Holmstrom have scored 23 of our 55 goals (41%). Malkin, Sykora and Malone have 19 of their 51 (37%). Is that supposed to be a big difference?

No-one would ever call Pittsburgh a 'one-line team' - it's not true. However, it's not true for Detroit either. IMO, our depth is the main reason we're the conference champs.

So again I'll ask, what's with the concern about our secondary scoring? Make me understand.

Because Cleary sucks. His injury is not excuse anymore. Filppula is injured so obviously he can't play his best.

Samuelsson..no comment.

Franzen is our ONLY decent second liner.

Yes, it is a big problem. Especially without Mule.

Because Cleary sucks. His injury is not excuse anymore. Filppula is injured so obviously he can't play his best.

Samuelsson..no comment.

wtf are u talking about. Why dont you go out break you jaw, go play hockey, and see if you can find the puck at your stick with a piece of thick plastic obstructing your view

Edited by RainingBlood

wtf are u talking about. Why dont you go out break you jaw, go play hockey, and see if you can find the puck at your stick with a piece of thick plastick obstructing your view

How long it has been? He had great scoring chances in game 5. He could not get it past Turco.

He is in a slump for sure.

Robidas played with "piece of thick plastick obstructing his view" too. And he was one of the best, if not the best, Stars' dmans.

It was a problem in games 4 and 5. Yesterday that was solved with goals from Drake and Draper. I dont think anyone is complaining today. But I still believe Cleary is close to breaking out. I with he would take off the jaw protector for the finals cuz I think it would help him a ton. It's like running with weights to train for a marathon. You take them off and your that much better. But im sure it wont happpen... he knows how painful that was and doesnt want to experience it again.

How long it has been? He had great scoring chances in game 5. He could not get it past Turco.

He is in a slump for sure.

Robidas played with "piece of thick plastick obstructing his view" too. And he was one of the best, if not the best, Stars' dmans.

Last I checked Robidas wore a cage, and last I checked cages were made of metal not plastic, and also last I checked he could actually see the puck by his feet, where cleary couldnt.

It was a problem in games 4 and 5. Yesterday that was solved with goals from Drake and Draper. I dont think anyone is complaining today. But I still believe Cleary is close to breaking out. I with he would take off the jaw protector for the finals cuz I think it would help him a ton. It's like running with weights to train for a marathon. You take them off and your that much better. But im sure it wont happpen... he knows how painful that was and doesnt want to experience it again.

Im sure he wants to as well but he has to keep it on for a minimum of 6 months, its only bee like 3 and a half

Im sure he wants to as well but he has to keep it on for a minimum of 6 months, its only bee like 3 and a half

Yea I know he wont. But hopefully it doesnt turn into a Rip Hamilton kinda thing and he keeps it on forever. Except I think Rip's mask is a little less obstructing then the jaw protector.

Last I checked Robidas wore a cage, and last I checked cages were made of metal not plastic, and also last I checked he could actually see the puck by his feet, where cleary couldnt.

Yeah. Ok.

But still, Cleary is playing really bad ever since. One would think he is used to it after all this time.

2 points in 16 games while he plays lots of minutes is really, really bad and can't be justified.

For those of you that say Dan Cleary sucks, you do not understand the defensive side of the game of hockey!!!

Cleary - Draper - Drake has been one of the best defensive line for the playoffs.

ZDH gets a lot of credit because they are so high profile, guys that play that great on offense don't usually play the type of d these guys do.

CDD has been fantastic, Cleary has been a huge part of one of the best Fore checking lines the wings have iced.

This team just made the SCF and people on here still find a way to ***** and moan and Player x sucks.

Grow up people, learn to enjoy the ride!!!!!!!!

This is some great hockey, Dallas was a desperate team that threw everything they had a Detroit, they won two games, do you know why?

And the answer isn't because Det let them, or that Det sucked those games. Dallas has players that get paid too, they have some great talent.

We have some OK secondary scoring, but it's not consistent. Outside of Franzen, can you really point to anyone we can consistently depend on for a goal when Datsyuk and Zetterberg aren't on the ice? Anyone who the opposition has to focus on to take pressure off of the top line?

Yea I know he wont. But hopefully it doesnt turn into a Rip Hamilton kinda thing and he keeps it on forever. Except I think Rip's mask is a little less obstructing then the jaw protector.

Cleary allready said that once the season in over he is taking the protector off. I heard in several interviews Hamilton hates the plastic protector. But he has to wear it because the years before the pistons he broke his nose soo many times that if he broke it again it would prolly mean the end of his career.

People, we have secondary scoring. Frazen is our only CONSISTENT secondary scorer, but the rest of them chip in goals, too. It's just spread out.

So frankly, any given night anyone on this team can score, so it makes it harder to defend against.

I've not at any stage thought that our secondary scoring was a problem. IMO we have the best 3rd line in the league and the best 4th line in the league. This, of course is arguable, but they are certainly up there. However, I consistently continue to hear that secondary scoring is a problem.

Can someone please explain why? Zetterberg, Datsyuk and Holmstrom have scored 23 of our 55 goals (41%). Malkin, Sykora and Malone have 19 of their 51 (37%). Is that supposed to be a big difference?

No-one would ever call Pittsburgh a 'one-line team' - it's not true. However, it's not true for Detroit either. IMO, our depth is the main reason we're the conference champs.

So again I'll ask, what's with the concern about our secondary scoring? Make me understand.

Here's the funny part: It's no real concern at all. The Wings have no real consistent problems at all, but people are ALWAYS going to try to single out weaknesses and find something to blame. The secondary scoring is the only thing anyone can really find to have any cause for concern over, and I think most of that is imagined more than anything else.

Our biggest problem is the other team, especially the other team who has made it to the SCF... not ourselves. It's very hockey fan-like to blame losses on the faults you perceive on your own team instead of the skill of your victors. It's just people looking for something to blame when the doodoo hits the proverbial fan.

People, we have secondary scoring. Frazen is our only CONSISTENT secondary scorer, but the rest of them chip in goals, too. It's just spread out.

So frankly, any given night anyone on this team can score, so it makes it harder to defend against.

You took the words right out of my keyboard.

If Johan isn't here, Drapes can put in a few. Huds, Flip, even Dallas scored against Dallas (I love that). DMac has scored, Helm, Sammy (although that was with the Mule). Then there's our D. Lids, Raf. Kronner has had 12 assists, so who knows? Maybe he's got a goal in him. Heck, even Ozzie has scored, although that was back in the day, so don't count on it happening again any time soon.

We've got primary, secondary, tertiary and whatever fourth-ary is. (Is there a word for that?)

I totally agree that this makes our team harder to defend against. Everyone is a potential threat, not just ZDH. They're just so darn good at it. We're in good shape.

You took the words right out of my keyboard.

If Johan isn't here, Drapes can put in a few. Huds, Flip, even Dallas scored against Dallas (I love that). DMac has scored, Helm, Sammy (although that was with the Mule). Then there's our D. Lids, Raf. Kronner has had 12 assists, so who knows? Maybe he's got a goal in him. Heck, even Ozzie has scored, although that was back in the day, so don't count on it happening again any time soon.

We've got primary, secondary, tertiary and whatever fourth-ary is. (Is there a word for that?)

I totally agree that this makes our team harder to defend against. Everyone is a potential threat, not just ZDH. They're just so darn good at it. We're in good shape.

Fourth would be quarternary. ;)

*reaction in my house on Drake's goal*

GOAL!

*pause*

Drake? The HELL??? :D

Yeah. Ok.

But still, Cleary is playing really bad ever since. One would think he is used to it after all this time.

2 points in 16 games while he plays lots of minutes is really, really bad and can't be justified.

Define bad.

Cleary is playing well, he just isn't scoring.

Define bad.

Cleary is playing well, he just isn't scoring.

He is not playing as he could. He is/will be 2.8mil top6 player. I would expect more that one goal and one assist in 16 games.

Yes, he is solid defensively, but we have enough of these guys, we need some scoring. He is supposed to score.

He is not playing as he could. He is/will be 2.8mil top6 player. I would expect more that one goal and one assist in 16 games.

Yes, he is solid defensively, but we have enough of these guys, we need some scoring. He is supposed to score.

He'll be back to form next season. It's probably too late to hope he'll open up with scoring, but at least we have his great defensive play. We'll need some defensive forwards to handle the speed Pittsburgh has.

And looking around on Pittsburgh forums, no one seems to know that the Wings are absolutely stacked with amazing defensive forwards. They seem to think they're only playing against Lidstrom and Rafalski and that simply by having offense they can manhandle us.

Cleary has had a dissapointing playoffs, he knows that, Babs knows that, we all know that. But Cleary however, is playing a great defensive type game. The guy always backchecks, and keeps pressure on the man with the puck. When Franzen comes back, the pressure will be off of him again, and he can go back playing with Draper and Matlby, who he usually plays well with. I think he is due for a great offensive game, and its no better time then in the finals. I think his line will be very succesfull against the Pens these finals.

Samuelsson..no comment.

Filppula being hurt is an excuse, but it's not OK for Cleary?

Have your jaw wired shut and then play with a full face mask.

Maybe Cleary only has one goal, which is tough, and nobody knows it more than him. He still has played a terrific defensive game, and is getting offensive chances. But you're right, he sucks. :rolleyes:

Edited by GoWings1905

But you're right, he sucks. :rolleyes:

ATM yes. He is not doing what he should be.

Filppula is injured now, Cleary is healthy.

I like Cleary a lot, but he is not good player atm, his defensive play does not make up for the lack of scoring. And he had plenty of chances to score.

Edited by Reds4Life