• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Rate this topic

We had some Leinenkugel's last night watching our town fireworks - I had the Sunset Wheat. It's decent, it's a light summer beer and I don't by it regularly but it's nice to have every now and then.

We are hoping to get a batch of homebrew going here in the next month. I wish hops weren't so freakin' expensive. Did I mention we did custom label microbrewed beer for our wedding favors? That was fun. :)

DSC_0049.jpg

We had some Leinenkugel's last night watching our town fireworks - I had the Sunset Wheat. It's decent, it's a light summer beer and I don't by it regularly but it's nice to have every now and then.

We are hoping to get a batch of homebrew going here in the next month. I wish hops weren't so freakin' expensive. Did I mention we did custom label microbrewed beer for our wedding favors? That was fun. :)

DSC_0049.jpg

wow! that's awesome!

and what kind of style of beer was the 'i do brew'?

well, there's a worldwide hops shortage...

A myth, IMO. Hops can grow almost anywhere. I've heard this rumor as well, but my local homebrew suppliers have yet to see an increase in cost, or a shortage in supplies. If in fact they do turn out to be in short supply I'll start my own online hops shop, in fact that is what I'll call it, because I have a bunch in my freezer right now and I can make those ******* replicate.

On a serious note, hops are essentially a flower, grown on a vine, in the same family as pot. I don't even smoke pot, but I think it's interesting. Maybe if hops are hard to get, pot will be as well. Potheads of the world freak out, you paranoid so-and-sos!!!

Gotcha, Charles!

wow! that's awesome!

and what kind of style of beer was the 'i do brew'?

It was an Amber Ale - I wanted to do the 10% alcohol IPA the brewery make but I didn't know if everyone could handle it. So we brought in a keg of that to serve at the reception in addition to the standards.

And as for the hop shortage, I believe it's true - the prices went up for the brewery to buy them at least. My father-in-law is growing some and they're looking good, we'll pry try to plant some ourselves and see what happens too.

A myth, IMO. Hops can grow almost anywhere. I've heard this rumor as well, but my local homebrew suppliers have yet to see an increase in cost, or a shortage in supplies. If in fact they do turn out to be in short supply I'll start my own online hops shop, in fact that is what I'll call it, because I have a bunch in my freezer right now and I can make those ******* replicate.

On a serious note, hops are essentially a flower, grown on a vine, in the same family as pot. I don't even smoke pot, but I think it's interesting. Maybe if hops are hard to get, pot will be as well. Potheads of the world freak out, you paranoid so-and-sos!!!

Gotcha, Charles!

Lol. No offense, but you don't know what you're talking about.

I'm not a beer supplier however I have been in the supply side of the liquor industry for almost 4 years and have heard a bit about it in the trade.

A few factors developing for many years have lead to the shortage compounded by the bad weather in Europe 2 years ago that ruined crops. Hops is not like oil though, the shortage will only be temporary.

Lol. No offense, but you don't know what you're talking about.

I'm not a beer supplier however I have been in the supply side of the liquor industry for almost 4 years and have heard a bit about it in the trade.

A few factors developing for many years have lead to the shortage compounded by the bad weather in Europe 2 years ago that ruined crops. Hops is not like oil though, the shortage will only be temporary.

Look man, here's the breakdown: Yes, there was a shortage of hops IN CERTAIN AREAS, but there was/is no worldwide shortage. Sam Adams came up with a ton of hops to sell to breweries who were having problems with their normal suppliers. Obviously Sam Adams was getting their hops from somewhere.

No offense to you, maybe you know what you are talking about in Australia, but our USA microbreweries are doing just fine on supplies. And personally I don't give a s*** about the macrobreweries.

Edited by Inultus

Look man, here's the breakdown: Yes, there was a shortage of hops IN CERTAIN AREAS, but there was/is no worldwide shortage. Sam Adams came up with a ton of hops to sell to breweries who were having problems with their normal suppliers. Obviously Sam Adams was getting their hops from somewhere.

No offense to you, maybe you know what you are talking about in Australia, but our USA microbreweries are doing just fine on supplies. And personally I don't give a s*** about the macrobreweries.

yeah, i remember reading that about sam adams too. such a great company. jim koch is a hell of a stand up guy, imo.

When I was back in MI, I picked up a bunch of singles I can't find down here. So far I've had the Bell's Brown Ale, which was good. And the Magic Hat #9, which I'm trying to figure out what the big deal about this beer is. It didn't have much of a taste to me.

When I was back in MI, I picked up a bunch of singles I can't find down here. So far I've had the Bell's Brown Ale, which was good. And the Magic Hat #9, which I'm trying to figure out what the big deal about this beer is. It didn't have much of a taste to me.

We've been carrying #9 for quite a while now, it's an apricot ale and I would suggest that if it didn't have much taste to you then perhaps you had a bad batch. I also find that it's better on draft than in the bottle. It's great mixed with Guinness (a Black Magic, as they call it). Bell's Best Brown is still one of their best sellers, tho not comparable to the mighty Oberon.

As far as the hops issue, I really don't want to argue about it anymore but I go to beer tastings on a regular basis and talk to brewers from all over the US (especially from the midwest area) and I haven't had anyone that has not been able to get hops. Perhaps part of that is because a large part of our micros in the midwest and eastern coast use hops grown here.

We've been carrying #9 for quite a while now, it's an apricot ale and I would suggest that if it didn't have much taste to you then perhaps you had a bad batch. I also find that it's better on draft than in the bottle. It's great mixed with Guinness (a Black Magic, as they call it).

It had a sweet aftertaste, which must have been the apricot. I've heard a lot of people make a big deal of it, but I just don't see what the deal is.

Guest Shoreline
budlight

coors light

miller light

sierra nevada...sneaks in there

or anything else

And you call yourself a Spartan?! :ph34r:

It had a sweet aftertaste, which must have been the apricot. I've heard a lot of people make a big deal of it, but I just don't see what the deal is.

Reminds me of these apricot and peach flavored alcohols. One was a bittersweet taste, the apricot, the other tasted like liquid hot dogs (ugh), the peach. This is why I prefer bringing my own alcohol to parties, especially ones that involve women. ;) Most just don't know good alcohol.

Edited by Shoreline

I will be participating in a beer olympics over the fourth and one of the events is a beer tasting contest. Basically there are 6 different brews (say, IPA, Stout, Wheat, etc.) in numbered cups and we have to taste and guess which beer is which. I'm not sure how good I will do, but I will have fun participating,

And you call yourself a Spartan?! :ph34r:

Reminds me of these apricot and peach flavored alcohols. One was a bittersweet taste, the apricot, the other tasted like liquid hot dogs (ugh), the peach. This is why I prefer bringing my own alcohol to parties, especially ones that involve women. ;) Most just don't know good alcohol.

haha thanks. i didnt really drink beer bc i stopped drinking beer for a while and i started again so its a slow start :rolleyes:

I will be participating in a beer olympics over the fourth and one of the events is a beer tasting contest. Basically there are 6 different brews (say, IPA, Stout, Wheat, etc.) in numbered cups and we have to taste and guess which beer is which. I'm not sure how good I will do, but I will have fun participating,

how cool!!!

haha...you can go out and drink beer every night and say you're 'training'.

be sure to tell us how it goes, and...good luck!

Southern Comfort has both peach and apricot in it and personally I think it's pretty damn good. I just had an Alabama Slammer last night actually. Which "alcohols" are you speaking of here?

That sounds like a lot of fun. As someone who has attended a lot of beer tastings, if you need any advice let me know, I'll give some basics here.

One way to narrow down your beers is to check the color first.

IPAs will pretty much always be a cloudy amber. Stouts will always be dark brown or black. Wheats will generally be a cloudy lighter yellow/amber. Pilsners are generally yellow and clear.

Smell the beer before you taste it. Take a good whiff while shaking the glass in a circle to release the effervescence. That's the nose.

Take a sip, and gurgle it a bit in your mouth, swish it around with your tongue for a few seconds before swallowing. That's the mouth.

Do that again with another sip, then swallow and breathe out and in. There's the finish. Have fun!

I tried out Stella Artois today. Here is the wiki on it...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stella_Artois

Stella Artois (pronounced /ˈstɛlə ɑrˈtwɑː/) is a 5.2% ABV global lager first brewed in Leuven, Belgium in 1926 as a Christmas brew, and named Stella after the Latin for "star."[1]

Although Belgium is best known internationally for its ales, the so-called "table beers," the bottom-fermented pilsner lagers such as Stella Artois head the list for domestic consumption, making up almost 75% of Belgian beer production. Stella is promoted as an international brand by its brewer, InBev. In its home market of Belgium, however, it is marketed, priced and sold as a regular lager. It is brewed in Belgium and the United Kingdom, as well as other countries, including Australia. Much of the Stella Artois exported from Europe is currently produced at InBev's brewery in Belgium, and packaged in the Beck's brewery in Bremen, Germany.

I liked this lager a lot. Good simple taste with a slight tangy feel to it, but nothing too crazy to where you can't drink a few more of it in one setting/evening.

I tried out Stella Artois today. Here is the wiki on it...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stella_Artois

I liked this lager a lot. Good simple taste with a slight tangy feel to it, but nothing too crazy to where you can't drink a few more of it in one setting/evening.

I have the same problem with Stella as I do with Heineken. They both taste skunked to me and it's probably because they are shipped overseas in green bottles. It is well-established that green and clear bottles offer very little protection for the beer.

Also, at least in my area all of the people who ask for Stella are yuppies who think they know good beer but turn up their nose at local Michigan micros. I imagine there are probably a lot lless yuppies down there tho.