• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Rate this topic

Oh yeah. I love their beers.

I also tried the Winter Stout from St. Arnold. It has quickly become my new favorite stout.

Maybe I missed it, but what are your favorite local (statewide distribution) beers? I've tried a couple since I've moved to Austin (~6 months ago) but haven't found much that has definitively stuck.

The one in Auburn Hills had great beer, but crappy service and terrible food. No wonder why they shut down. I believe the other one in Gaylord is right off near I-75 also.

Do hope their service is better than the one that was down here.

That one closed about a month after my uncle died - who originally started the restaurant. My mom and her sisters got together and decided it would be better to sell it than to re-work the management, etc.

The one in Gaylord does well - but the one in Texas is the main one.

yeah, i'll see what i can do about picking you up on the way. i think i'm driving, but even if i'm not, the person who is will probably be cool about it (as long as it isn't terribly out of the way). also, feel free to split the room w/me and whomever else ends up going.

I'm right off the highway in Lansing, I mean I can literally see the highway when I stand in my driveway, it's not out of the way at all.

And yeah, I definitely would not be coming back that night either. The only way I did that last time was b/c we took a limo and I don't remember stumbling into my house at all.

BTW, did you already pick up tix, b/c I can see what I can do about scoring some VIP tix. Also, whether I go or not, you should definitely go to Hopcat if you haven't been there. It's awesome. Maybe do that on Sunday?

That one closed about a month after my uncle died - who originally started the restaurant. My mom and her sisters got together and decided it would be better to sell it than to re-work the management, etc.

The one in Gaylord does well - but the one in Texas is the main one.

Management sucked.

As for the one in Gaylord, I would rather stay in Lewiston and hit Talley's or hit Garland. Great good, service, and beer! Forgot the kind I had up there last.

I do like my Guinness Extra Stout.

I'm right off the highway in Lansing, I mean I can literally see the highway when I stand in my driveway, it's not out of the way at all.

And yeah, I definitely would not be coming back that night either. The only way I did that last time was b/c we took a limo and I don't remember stumbling into my house at all.

BTW, did you already pick up tix, b/c I can see what I can do about scoring some VIP tix. Also, whether I go or not, you should definitely go to Hopcat if you haven't been there. It's awesome. Maybe do that on Sunday?

i haven't gotten my tickets yet, no. what do the VIP tickets entail?

Maybe I missed it, but what are your favorite local (statewide distribution) beers? I've tried a couple since I've moved to Austin (~6 months ago) but haven't found much that has definitively stuck.

I like St. Arnold out of Houston. The only beer of theirs I don't really care for is the Lawnmower, but I'm not a big fan of kolsch beers anyway, they're too sweet for me. Real Ale out of Blanco isn't bad. I like their Fireman's #4 a lot. I haven't tried any of their seasonal beers though, I can't seem to find them around me. And there's always Shiner.

I know there's a microbrewery up in Fort Worth and a couple in Austin, but they don't seem to distribute around me. For whatever reason, Texas doesn't seem to be a great beer state. People love to drink beer, but there's just not a lot in the way of craft brewing. At least not like there was in Michigan.

I like St. Arnold out of Houston. The only beer of theirs I don't really care for is the Lawnmower, but I'm not a big fan of kolsch beers anyway, they're too sweet for me. Real Ale out of Blanco isn't bad. I like their Fireman's #4 a lot. I haven't tried any of their seasonal beers though, I can't seem to find them around me. And there's always Shiner.

I know there's a microbrewery up in Fort Worth and a couple in Austin, but they don't seem to distribute around me. For whatever reason, Texas doesn't seem to be a great beer state. People love to drink beer, but there's just not a lot in the way of craft brewing. At least not like there was in Michigan.

I'll have to check out St. Arnold. I've had Real Ale once or twice, I've had a couple from Independence (here in Austin), too. They were ok, from what I remember, but I wasn't CRAZY about them. I wish Texas was a better state for brews.

i haven't gotten my tickets yet, no. what do the VIP tickets entail?

You get in an hour early, so basically you can hit up all the good brewers and not wait in line. Plus, when brewers see your VIP pass they give you free stuff. I actually had a girl show me her chest last year b/c we were chatting her up about getting their beer at our bar. I don't really remember that though. Good times.

You get in an hour early, so basically you can hit up all the good brewers and not wait in line. Plus, when brewers see your VIP pass they give you free stuff. I actually had a girl show me her chest last year b/c we were chatting her up about getting their beer at our bar. I don't really remember that though. Good times.

sounds like a classy broad.

haha...but yeah, that'd be awesome, if you could get VIP passes. definitely keep me posted.

I'll have to check out St. Arnold. I've had Real Ale once or twice, I've had a couple from Independence (here in Austin), too. They were ok, from what I remember, but I wasn't CRAZY about them. I wish Texas was a better state for brews.

You and me both. Hopefully when I get my brewery started, it can make Texas a better state. Unfortunately, that's not going to happen for a while. Right now my distribution is limited to friends who want to try my beer.

You and me both. Hopefully when I get my brewery started, it can make Texas a better state. Unfortunately, that's not going to happen for a while. Right now my distribution is limited to friends who want to try my beer.

Well, let me know when your distribution goes from its alpha stage to its beta stage, which hopefully provides for fellow Texas LGWers. I'd give it a shot.

Well, let me know when your distribution goes from its alpha stage to its beta stage, which hopefully provides for fellow Texas LGWers. I'd give it a shot.

i'd like to know when it goes to it's uh...gamma...stage, and you're sending it to michigan lgw'ers. i love a good homebrew.

Guest Shoreline

I can't believe this weekend I got a friend who ONLY drinks s***weiser to actually try Newcastle Brown Ale. He normally goes through a 12 pack of buds without a flinch, he was out after 3 Newcastle's. :lol:

I haven't got a damn hangover for over a year when I last drank a few Millers (was broke and I didn't buy it) -- furthering my super scientific study of cheap beers being the s***tiest.

II haven't got a damn hangover for over a year when I last drank a few Millers (was broke and I didn't buy it) -- furthering my super scientific study of cheap beers being the s***tiest.

Probably has to do with Bud/Miller/Coors being half corn or rice.

Tried a few new ones lately. The Samuel Smith Old Taddy Porter was excellent. I'm going to try to brew a clone of it next fall fall when it gets colder. Or cold for around here at least. I also tried Cooper's Stout. Not bad, but there was something about it that made me think I wouldn't drink it again, I can't quite figure out what though.

For my homebrew, this coming weekend I have an amber ale that's going to get bottled and I'm going to brew up a blonde ale.

Guest Shoreline
For my homebrew, this coming weekend I have an amber ale that's going to get bottled and I'm going to brew up a blonde ale.

What do you use to brew your own s***? I told friends and family I'd figure out how to brew my own stuff after the move and I wasn't joking. I'm not terribly picky but I personally prefer wheat beer/brown ales.

Edited by Shoreline

What do you use to brew your own s***? I told friends and family I'd figure out how to brew my own stuff after the move and I wasn't joking. I'm not terribly picky but I personally prefer wheat beer/brown ales.

It's not that difficult really. If you can follow a recipe, you can make beer. You need malted barely, hops, water, and yeast. Boil the first three, add the yeast, and let it age. There's obviously more to it than that, but that's really the basic idea.

The biggest problem I see with homebrew is the start up costs. I kind of got lucky since I got most of the equipment as a wedding present. A lot of the bigger homebrew stores sell starter kits, here's what Austin Homebrew (what I use) has.

It's not that difficult really. If you can follow a recipe, you can make beer. You need malted barely, hops, water, and yeast. Boil the first three, add the yeast, and let it age. There's obviously more to it than that, but that's really the basic idea.

The biggest problem I see with homebrew is the start up costs. I kind of got lucky since I got most of the equipment as a wedding present. A lot of the bigger homebrew stores sell starter kits, here's what Austin Homebrew (what I use) has.

For those in the Detroit area, there is a homebrew store that my husband got all of his materials from when he lived there. I can get the name from him if anyone is interested.

So, MBG Fest this weekend. Anyone wanna look at this list and say "Oh, you MUST try this."?

http://www.mbgmash.org/

For those in the Detroit area, there is a homebrew store that my husband got all of his materials from when he lived there. I can get the name from him if anyone is interested.

So, MBG Fest this weekend. Anyone wanna look at this list and say "Oh, you MUST try this."?

yes!

i'm partial to sherwood's buxom blonDDe and blackjack coffee stout.

and the wab's raspberry blonde is one of the better fruit beers i've had. all the rest of their stuff is mediocre, though imo.

and whatever you do, if you value your palate at all, and consider yourself in any capacity a beer afficionado..

..stay the f away from the motor city ghettoblaster. it tastes like i'd imagine licking a sweaty elderly man tastes. it's one of the most awful micros i've ever had or could imagine having. i'd have to be super trashed before i could even get this swill down.

i'm really excited for some of the crazy dessert beers, like short's s'mores, and the bob's tiramisu stout, and copper canyon's apple strudel tripel--since i don't really eat those things in food form anymore.

also there are a couple of smoked beers i'm looking forward to trying. and haha maybe a barleywine or two.

is anyone else staying out there for the night? if so, be sure to call your hotel and tell them you're there for the festival. there are special rates, in some cases, and early check-in. we get to check in at 11:00 am! and some hotels have shuttles that go to and from the festival, which will come in handy on the way back, i think. if you're not staying out there, be sure to drive safe. ten and two. don't get rolled.

it's supposed to be 28 degrees w/light snow in grand rapids the day of the fest, so be sure to bundle up.

i am so so so

so

soooo

excited for this.

last year's summer beer fest was fun (and it was on my birthday!) but i have a feeling this is going to be even better. ^_^

see you all there. (or a handful of you. whatever.)

I will warn you ahead of time that I am and IPA and Stout man, although I do appreciate qualities of all types of beers. That being said:

Arcardia Hopmouth Double IPA

Atwater Block Vanilla Java Porter

Dark Horse Double Crooked Tree IPA

Dark Horse Raspberry Ale

Dragonmead Final Absolution Belgian Trippel

Founders Kentucky Breakfast Stout

Founders Double Trouble (new for this season, I haven't had it, but have heard good things)

Founders Backwoods Bastard

All of the HopCat beers are new, but I would recommend trying them, their brewmaster is awesome.

Michigan Brewing Company Celis Grand Cru

New Holland Dragon’s Milk Bourbon Barrel Aged Stout

also the 2007 Dragon’s Milk

New Holland Black Tulip Tripple

North Peak Wee Heavy Scotch Ale

Short’s Smores

Short’s Uber Goober

Short’s Soft Parade

All of those are beers which I love, but I would recommend checking beers out on ratebeer.com because they describe the palate and flavors of the beers, then you can see if you think you would like them at all before you even try them. OTOH, sometimes it's nice to be surprised.

Thank you for all of the recommendations. I'm actually kind of a dork and have the list printed and marked next to the ones I want to get to. I would rank in order the types of beers I prefer as Stout, IPA then wheat beers - so I think my tastes match with a lot on those lists. I've had a few on the list at Hopcat, the breweries themselves and purchased 6 packs of some (Crooked Tree, Soft Parade, most of the Founders and Celis Grand Cru popped out as ones we've had and enjoyed).

If anyone cares, I did contact the park and cars are ok there overnight up until 3pm on Sunday. We are leaving 2 cars there and have a taxi van scheduled to take our group safely back home.

Well the beer festival was awesome. I had a great time out there and had some really good beers.

Some that stood out to me:

Chai Spice Hefe from Waldorff (by far my favorite new beer that I tried)

Tiramisu Stout from the B.O.B.'s Brewery

Bourbon Barrel Barleywine from Kuhnhenn Brewing Company

Distill My Heart Bourbon Stout by Right Brain Brewery

I know a few of you went. What did you think? Me and my girl went to HopCat after the festival, then to Founders where I tried their new Cherry Ale, which was quite good, and very cherry.

Well the beer festival was awesome. I had a great time out there and had some really good beers.

Some that stood out to me:

Chai Spice Hefe from Waldorff (by far my favorite new beer that I tried)

Tiramisu Stout from the B.O.B.'s Brewery

Bourbon Barrel Barleywine from Kuhnhenn Brewing Company

Distill My Heart Bourbon Stout by Right Brain Brewery

I know a few of you went. What did you think? Me and my girl went to HopCat after the festival, then to Founders where I tried their new Cherry Ale, which was quite good, and very cherry.

i wish i remembered what that first amazing barleywine i had was. it might've been the bourbon barrel. devin, do you remember? i want to get it again.

also, i got freaking trashed at beer fest. i should've written down everything i had, because i remember thinking a lot of things were really tasty and amazing, but i don't remember very many names. i'll look over my program later and see if anything jumps out at me.

oh and, joshua, it was really good to see you there!

summer beer fest is going to be sweet, i'm already pumped for it!

I also had blurry memories as the event wore on. But I had a great time.

Stand outs - (some already mentioned)

The Chai Hefe from Waldorff. We were at their brewery 2 months ago but they didn't have this at the time, I was bummed and glad I got to try it here.

The Bourbon Stout from Right Brain

Dragon's Milk from New Holland

I wish I could remember more - I can't say I had a bad beer besides a Dunkelweizen (or Hefe?) from somewhere.

PS - When we returned to our friend's house I slipped on their kitchen floor and broke my face. 13 stitches later, Winter Beer Fest 2009 will live on permanently via the scar over my eye.

Well, I'm hoping it doesn't scar. We'll see. :)