• Please log in to reply
858 replies to this topic

#61 uk_redwing

uk_redwing

#25 Jamie Tardif

• Gold Booster
  • 3,852 posts

Posted 11 June 2008 - 02:06 PM

My "stash" consists of Calrsberg and Carling.

I love Carling.

Posted Image
Turtling is for the weak
Grand Rapids Griffins Fights

#62 hallelujahlogic

hallelujahlogic

awake, affiliated, and indelible.

• HoF Booster
  • 549 posts

Posted 11 June 2008 - 05:31 PM

QUOTE (Inultus @ June 11, 2008 - 02:51PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yeah, there's definitely an art to making beer with fruit in it. And Leinenkugel sucks ever since they were bought out by Miller.

see, i didn't even know they got bought out by miller. that explains so much.

Posted Image

#63 Inultus

Inultus

Slush ****

• PipPipPipPip
  • 885 posts

Posted 11 June 2008 - 05:39 PM

QUOTE (hallelujahlogic @ June 11, 2008 - 06:31PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
see, i didn't even know they got bought out by miller. that explains so much.

Yeah, as much as Miller might say they are proud of their beer, they definitely try to keep it under the radar when they buy out microbreweries.
"It's been six years since we won the Cup. That's too long." -Nick Lidstrom

"my message is simple: The next time anyone runs any of our guys in a way that shouldn't be done, then a message will be sent. I'm not going to go out and run your skill guys, your superstars. I'm going to go right to the guy (who did it), and fair justice is fair justice." -Downey

#64 SouthernWingsFan

SouthernWingsFan

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 24,609 posts

Posted 11 June 2008 - 05:43 PM

http://www.abita.com/brew/amber.html

This below is an extremely good brand of Abita beer and I'm probably going to get a pack during my next grocery run. I never really liked Purple Haze all that much, too sweet. This weekend might be a good one to stop at the Abita Brewery Pub not too far from where I live.

AMBER
Abita Amber is a Munich style lager brewed with crystal malt and Perle hops. It has a smooth, malty, slightly caramel flavor and a rich amber color. Abita Amber was the first beer offered by the brewery and continues to be our leading seller.

It has been voted "best beer" in numerous
New Orleans reader polls and is used frequently in recipes of great Louisiana chefs.

#65 BlakChamber

BlakChamber

Don't Mess With...

• Gold Booster
  • 4,189 posts

Posted 11 June 2008 - 10:00 PM

Abita Amber is good stuff.

The demon code prevents me from declining a rock-off challenge.

#66 redwingsfan04

redwingsfan04

Rookie

• Restricted
  • Pip
  • 127 posts

Posted 12 June 2008 - 12:31 AM

Calrsberg is good stuff! biggrin.gif

#67 maltbymaniac

maltbymaniac

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,648 posts

Posted 12 June 2008 - 12:45 PM

shoot give me a 40 oz of some steel reserve and im set.

just kiddding i dont drink.anyways i had no idea there were so many different beers out there.

sig by saran,Thanks

#68 hallelujahlogic

hallelujahlogic

• HoF Booster
  • 549 posts

Posted 13 June 2008 - 08:28 PM

ok so i am currently drinking an ebulum elderberry black ale made by heather ale. as i said in the op, heather ale is one of my favourites but i'd never tried this particular type before today.

holy woah. it's so good. there's a lot going on in it, but it all ties together so well. it got a really high score on ratebeer.com too:

http://www.ratebeer....es-ebulum/5124/

mmmmmm. plus it was only 2.79 for an individual bottle at merchant's. i couldn't pass it up!

Posted Image

#69 SouthernWingsFan

SouthernWingsFan

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 24,609 posts

Posted 13 June 2008 - 10:08 PM

I went to the home of Abita beer for a while earlier this evening in the small town of Abita Springs, LA. They have a brewery itself which has very limted hours unfortuantely near the Abita Brew Pub and Restaurant. I tried some new local flavors.

http://www.abita.com/

Abita Golden - http://www.abita.com/brew/golden.html
Nothing too out of the ordinary with this one I think. It's a lot like your ordinary Bud Light or Coors Light, just with a little stronger kick I think. Doesn't bother me though as I like drinking Coors Light.

Abita Golden is a crisp, clean continental lager.

Just four ingredients are all it takes: American malt, Mt. Hood hops, German lager yeast and pure Abita spring water.

As the name applies, Abita Golden has a brilliant gold color.

Its crisp, clean flavor makes this light lager the perfect match for Louisiana Creole food.

Now for the interesting one...

Abita Jockamo IPA - http://www.abita.com/brew/jockamo.html
Probably wasn't too wise to choose this beer while I ate dinner. It had a very sweet, citrus-like after taste. Wasn't all that strong with alcohol content per se, but the sweetness of it made it take a while to drink. Eating a 10-ounce hamburger while I was consuming it slowed down the pace as well. laugh.gif

The newest Abita brew takes its name and inspiration from the Mardi Gras Indians of New Orleans. Looking for Indians on Mardi Gras Day is a tradition for many New Orleans families. A cultural phenomenon familiar to residents of the Crescent City, the Mardi Gras Indians are not well known to outsiders and Abita is proud to help share their story with the world.

Unfortuantely eating an entire 10-oz burger made me run out of gas or I would've tried one more flavor, but next time. I'm going to go back there over one of the next weekends soon to try a few different beers out. Abita Amber still rules all though.

Edited by SouthernWingsFan, 13 June 2008 - 10:08 PM.

#70 BlakChamber

BlakChamber

Don't Mess With...

• Gold Booster
  • 4,189 posts

Posted 14 June 2008 - 09:03 AM

How far outside of New Orleans is the Abita Brewery? Next time I'm in New Orleans, I'll have to take a road trip.

#71 hallelujahlogic

hallelujahlogic

• HoF Booster
  • 549 posts

Posted 14 June 2008 - 09:04 AM

i am currently having an oberon for breakfast. ph34r.gif

Posted Image

#72 maltbymaniac

maltbymaniac

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,648 posts

Posted 14 June 2008 - 09:14 AM

sound like someone needs some AA meetings

sig by saran,Thanks

#73 SouthernWingsFan

SouthernWingsFan

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 24,609 posts

Posted 14 June 2008 - 09:29 AM

QUOTE (BlakChamber @ June 14, 2008 - 09:03AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
How far outside of New Orleans is the Abita Brewery? Next time I'm in New Orleans, I'll have to take a road trip.

The brewery itself and the pub/restaurant are probably no more than a mile away from each other. The brewery has extremely limited touring hours though just during afternoons. The pub/restaurant isn't anything too much out of the ordinary of a restaurant, but it's still a solid place to hang out at and the like, plus some of the brew machines there are cool to stare at.

Honestly you could just get Abita beer at pretty much any bar in New Orleans obviously but if you want to make the trek, Abita Springs is probably about a 45-mile drive north of the New Orleans area.

http://www.mapquest....ita Springs LA/

#74 BlakChamber

BlakChamber

Don't Mess With...

• Gold Booster
  • 4,189 posts

Posted 14 June 2008 - 10:34 AM

QUOTE (SouthernWingsFan @ June 14, 2008 - 08:29AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The brewery itself and the pub/restaurant are probably no more than a mile away from each other. The brewery has extremely limited touring hours though just during afternoons. The pub/restaurant isn't anything too much out of the ordinary of a restaurant, but it's still a solid place to hang out at and the like, plus some of the brew machines there are cool to stare at.

Honestly you could just get Abita beer at pretty much any bar in New Orleans obviously but if you want to make the trek, Abita Springs is probably about a 45-mile drive north of the New Orleans area.

http://www.mapquest....ita Springs LA/

I'm more interested in the brewery, as I'm sure you know, having lived here, you can get Abita all over Texas as well. Although all I usually see in town is Amber, Purple Haze, and Turbodog.

#75 maltbymaniac

maltbymaniac

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,648 posts

Posted 14 June 2008 - 10:51 AM

i had a bottle of rolling rock once. thats some good premium beer huh?

sig by saran,Thanks

#76 redwingsfan04

redwingsfan04

Rookie

• Restricted
  • Pip
  • 127 posts

Posted 14 June 2008 - 03:16 PM

Pilsner Uraquell is freakin crazy i love the can and the bottle too they look soo sexy!

#77 BlakChamber

BlakChamber

Don't Mess With...

• Gold Booster
  • 4,189 posts

Posted 14 June 2008 - 07:50 PM

Its reallyf****** hot here in Texas right now and I was at the lake all day, so when I was at the store before grilling I picked up a sixer of Kona Brewing Co. Longboard Lager. It looked like something that would be good on a hot day.

For a light colored beer, it was pretty tasty. It's got a good flavor, but its not overwhelming. Excellent beer for a hot summer day.

#78 hallelujahlogic

hallelujahlogic

• HoF Booster
  • 549 posts

Posted 14 June 2008 - 09:00 PM

QUOTE (maltbymaniac @ June 14, 2008 - 10:14AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
sound like someone needs some AA meetings

haha...actually, i'm not a big drink-to-get-drunk sort of person. i just love beer!

having a nice frosty beer w/breakfast is something my dad and my grandpa do. i probably picked it up from them. it's just one, and it's not enough to get drunk off of. haha..it's not an all the time thing either. strictly weekends!

Posted Image

#79 SouthernWingsFan

SouthernWingsFan

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 24,609 posts

Posted 14 June 2008 - 09:15 PM

QUOTE (BlakChamber @ June 14, 2008 - 10:34AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm more interested in the brewery, as I'm sure you know, having lived here, you can get Abita all over Texas as well. Although all I usually see in town is Amber, Purple Haze, and Turbodog.

Ah. It's pretty limited hours unfortuntely, just in afternoons. I've actually never had a Turbodog. Next time I go back to the pub and restaurant I'll sample that one. Purple Haze is just too sweet for me unfortunately. I'm all about simplicity for the most part even though I like to try different stuff at once, which is why I'm usually pretty happy to just drink a Coors or Bud Light.

http://www.abita.com...ewery_home.html
http://www.abita.com/visit/tours.html

#80 Izzy24

Izzy24

Hmm...

• HoF Booster
  • 1,375 posts

Posted 15 June 2008 - 12:16 AM

QUOTE (BlakChamber @ June 14, 2008 - 06:50PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Its reallyf****** hot here in Texas right now and I was at the lake all day, so when I was at the store before grilling I picked up a sixer of Kona Brewing Co. Longboard Lager. It looked like something that would be good on a hot day.

For a light colored beer, it was pretty tasty. It's got a good flavor, but its not overwhelming. Excellent beer for a hot summer day.

I actually just had that this week, and really liked it.

Uh, the guy...the guy across the street is swee...sweeping his driveway and he...he...heduzzntevinow.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users