• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Rate this topic

Its really ******* hot here in Texas right now and I was at the lake all day, so when I was at the store before grilling I picked up a sixer of Kona Brewing Co. Longboard Lager. It looked like something that would be good on a hot day.

For a light colored beer, it was pretty tasty. It's got a good flavor, but its not overwhelming. Excellent beer for a hot summer day.

sound like someone needs some AA meetings

haha...actually, i'm not a big drink-to-get-drunk sort of person. i just love beer!

having a nice frosty beer w/breakfast is something my dad and my grandpa do. i probably picked it up from them. it's just one, and it's not enough to get drunk off of. haha..it's not an all the time thing either. strictly weekends!

I'm more interested in the brewery, as I'm sure you know, having lived here, you can get Abita all over Texas as well. Although all I usually see in town is Amber, Purple Haze, and Turbodog.

Ah. It's pretty limited hours unfortuntely, just in afternoons. I've actually never had a Turbodog. Next time I go back to the pub and restaurant I'll sample that one. Purple Haze is just too sweet for me unfortunately. I'm all about simplicity for the most part even though I like to try different stuff at once, which is why I'm usually pretty happy to just drink a Coors or Bud Light.

http://www.abita.com/visit/brewery_home.html

http://www.abita.com/visit/tours.html

Its really ******* hot here in Texas right now and I was at the lake all day, so when I was at the store before grilling I picked up a sixer of Kona Brewing Co. Longboard Lager. It looked like something that would be good on a hot day.

For a light colored beer, it was pretty tasty. It's got a good flavor, but its not overwhelming. Excellent beer for a hot summer day.

I actually just had that this week, and really liked it.

Bell's (most varieties)

Celebrator (doppelbock)

Lion Stout

Those are all I can think of right now, but the liquor store adjacent to the record store I work at just started carrying a s***pile of nice imports...looooooove.

You work at CD Warehouse? I live just down the street from that/Drake's Party! :)

As for beers, my favorite is free, but I also enjoy almost everything I've tried. In no order:

Bell's Amber Ale

Bell's Two-Hearted Ale

Bell's Oberon

Blue Moon

Dirty Bastard

Hoegaarden

Rickard's Red (Only seen it in Canada)

Sam Adams (I've only had light, it tasted good but the 6-pack didn't even get me buzzed so it was disappointing)

I'll also drink Bud Light/Miller Lite, though I prefer Bud of the two.

I can't stand Labatt.

I'm still pretty young and hopelessly poor, so I mostly drink beer to get drunk since I can't afford to enjoy $10 6-packs every couple days.

If you want to get drunk cheap on quality beer, I suggest home brewing. On average a batch of 6 gal costs on average $0.60-$0.80 a bottle. Since you are brewing the beer yourself, you can design a beer with a pretty high abv.

As for beers, my favorite is free, but I also enjoy almost everything I've tried. In no order:

Bell's Amber Ale

Bell's Two-Hearted Ale

Bell's Oberon

Blue Moon

Dirty Bastard

Hoegaarden

Rickard's Red (Only seen it in Canada)

Sam Adams (I've only had light, it tasted good but the 6-pack didn't even get me buzzed so it was disappointing)

I'll also drink Bud Light/Miller Lite, though I prefer Bud of the two.

If you are in Kzoo you probably know that Kraftbrau is moving. Stop in there sometime, they should be open sometime this summer.

If you are in Kzoo you probably know that Kraftbrau is moving. Stop in there sometime, they should be open sometime this summer.

Ooh i didn't know that. Where are they moving to? I'll be sure to stop in this weekend (I have money in my wallet burning a hole :P)

Top three not necessarily in order.

CANADIAN

Guinness

Hoegaarden

I'll drink any Sam Adams too as long as it's not the Lager. All the other Sam Adams flavors are very tasty though.

Yuengling is very good too, a good Pennsylvania brew.

An Indiana brew I like a lot is Upland.

I've tried a bunch of different beers lately, here's my takes on them.

Alamo Golden Ale (Real Ale Brewing). If you're a Texas brewery, and you're going to say your beer has the spirit of the Alamo, it better be a damn good beer. This beer doesn't live up to the game. Good color, but not much flavor.

Dogtown Pale Ale (Lagunitas Brewing). A good pale ale, with a nice hop flavor but its not overpowering.

Raison D'Extra (Dogfish Head). Horrible beer, I usually love Dogfish Head beers and I love the Raison D'Être, but this was just bad. I couldn't finish it.

Pranqster Golden Ale (North Coast Brewing Co). Much better than the Alamo Golden Ale. There's much more flavor to it.

Anchor Bock (Anchor Brewing). I never knew Anchor made a bock beer. Nice good, good flavor, and its very smooth. I wish I could find it in town.

Wailua Wheat (Kona Brewing Co). I mentioned another beer by Kona I had, Longboard Lager already. I picked up this today. The label said its brewed with passion fruit, and you can taste the fruit in it, but it doesn't overpower everything, it gives it a nice, unique finish.

Dos Equis. Hey, we're grilling fajiatas today, gotta have some Mexican brew.

Tasted two new beers this evening.

Abita Turbodog - Didn't taste all that strong in the sense that it would get you drunk quickly. Honestly it didn't taste all too different then your regular run of the mill Coors Light or Bud Light, just with a slightly stronger kick and a slightly sweeter taste.

http://www.abita.com/brew/turbodog.html

Abita Turbodog is a dark brown ale brewed with Willamette hops and a combination of British pale, crystal and chocolate malts.

This combination gives Turbodog its rich body and color and a sweet chocolate-toffee like flavor. Turbodog began as a specialty ale but has gained a huge loyal following and has become one of our three flagship brews.

Just a bit stronger than our other brews, so . . .beware of the dog!

Abita Andygator - No real sweetness to this one, just a bit stronger in content/alcohol than a Bud Light or Budweiser.

http://www.abita.com/brew/andygator.html

A creature of the swamp, Andygator is a unique high gravity brew made with 2-row pale malt, German lager yeast, and Liberty hops. Unlike other high gravity brews, Andygator is fermented to a dry finish.

Still, nothing so far is coming close to my preference for Abita Amber. Will try a few more tastes out during the next go-round hopefully in a few weekends.

i had the craziest beer over the weekend.

i went to the beer store (not The Beer Store. just the beer store. are there even any canadians reading this thread to make that designation relevant?) looking for dogfish head chicory stout, which is one of the best beers i've ever had. i asked a dude that worked there (this particular store has exceptionally knowledgeable employees) if they sold it because i didn't see it anywhere. he said that it was seasonal, but i should try their palo santo marron while it's available.

i said "what type of beer is this palo santo marron?" to which the employee replied "a brown ale." my favourite type of beer. i bought a 4 pack of it. i brought it to a party, and took out a bottle. that's when i noticed that it said "malt beverage" on the bottle. upon closer inspection i saw that this stuff was 12% alcohol.

haha...i'm not a very big fan of the taste of alcohol, and even though this beer was really well crafted otherwise, i couldn't get past the cough-syrup consistency, or the overwhelming alcohol taste. there were some nice notes of coffee, chocolate and licorice...but it finished like i had just done a shot or something. i ended up going out to the store and getting some sam adam's (summer ale! one of the best parts of summer!).

so...if you're in the mood for microbrewed malt liquor, and you like the taste of alcohol, i'm gonna highly recommend dogfish head's palo santo marron. if you're like me and prefer your beer just a little more...beery, stay away!

Edited by hallelujahlogic

Tasted two new beers this evening.

Abita Turbodog - Didn't taste all that strong in the sense that it would get you drunk quickly. Honestly it didn't taste all too different then your regular run of the mill Coors Light or Bud Light, just with a slightly stronger kick and a slightly sweeter taste.

http://www.abita.com/brew/turbodog.html

Abita Andygator - No real sweetness to this one, just a bit stronger in content/alcohol than a Bud Light or Budweiser.

http://www.abita.com/brew/andygator.html

Still, nothing so far is coming close to my preference for Abita Amber. Will try a few more tastes out during the next go-round hopefully in a few weekends.

oh man. i clicked the links, and that turbodog looks and sounds DELICIOUS. i'm gonna try to see if i can't get my hands on some of that over the weekend.

Guest Shoreline

Favorite beers:

Newcastle

Gordon Biersch (Dunkelweizen)

I prefer any decent tasting ale (not the usual crap), or decent lagers. Tend to favor European brands though when it comes to beer. Us Americans tend to just make crap unless it's homebrewed. :(

Favorite liquors (and mixes):

Captain Morgan's Rum (with Cherry Coke)

Southern Comfort (with A&W/Barqs Root Beer)

Jagermeister (with Rockstar/Red Bull)

Smirnoff/Absolut (with Orange Juice)

I prefer any decent tasting ale (not the usual crap), or decent lagers. Tend to favor European brands though when it comes to beer. Us Americans tend to just make crap unless it's homebrewed. :(

Sorry, but that is 100% false. You just have to drink American beer that isn't made by Busch, Miller, or Coors. I see you're from the SF bay area, there's two very excellent breweries that I know of in the area. Anchor and North Coast.

Guest Shoreline
Sorry, but that is 100% false. You just have to drink American beer that isn't made by Busch, Miller, or Coors. I see you're from the SF bay area, there's two very excellent breweries that I know of in the area. Anchor and North Coast.

I've tried both. Anchor had a rather flat taste and left me thinking I was drinking a beer-Kahlua mix, and North Coast was alright, but not as good and potent (not enough for me just to have the strong taste, but a good one) as Gordon, as far as dark beers go (I'm far more picky about them than the lighter lagers). :)

Of course, that's if I'm buying. If I'm drinking, I'd certainly take them over your typical crap beer that is most sold at the local supermarket. Sadly Bevmo even puts the good beers in the back area next to the soda. :ranting:

Anyways, a few companies I worked for would have different flavors of lagers for our TGIF. Most I favor are German exports like Bitburger.

Edited by Shoreline

Fort Collins Brew Fest is this weekend! Supposedly there will be samplings of Colorado's 50+ beers from all the local breweries (New Belgium, Odell's, Fort Collins Brewery, etc). Should make for a beautiful summer day.

Yeah, I have to agree, we have tons of great microbreweries in the States, honestly I think our beer is much better than European stuff, but then again if you like lagers you might disagree as Europe does a lot more of the lighter stuff.

My favorite style is IPA and the American style IPAs kick the ass of European style IPAs, at least IMO.

Guest Shoreline
Yeah, I have to agree, we have tons of great microbreweries in the States, honestly I think our beer is much better than European stuff, but then again if you like lagers you might disagree as Europe does a lot more of the lighter stuff.

Naturally I'm more of a lager guy myself, but American ales have yet to really impress me much.

We do a much better job on hard liquor. :drunk:

My favorite style is IPA and the American style IPAs kick the ass of European style IPAs, at least IMO.

you know...i can't even think of a single IPA brewed in europe. i'm not sure if i have any frame of reference as to what a european-style IPA taste like. i understand the difference between west coast style and a regular american IPA, but what's the distinction of a european-style? i typically like to keep my ibu's under 60, so i'm not a big IPA person in general, but i'm curious.

oh and speaking of IPA's...bell's two hearted is delicious. and if i'm feeling in an uncharacteristically hoppy mood, dogfish head makes an imperal ipa that'll knock me on my ass and put a smile on my face. it's probably up around 100 ibu's though..

you know...i can't even think of a single IPA brewed in europe. i'm not sure if i have any frame of reference as to what a european-style IPA taste like. i understand the difference between west coast style and a regular american IPA, but what's the distinction of a european-style?

Lest I explain it badly, I like this linky.

Euro IPAs have gone the way of the dodo here, mainly because they are mild and harder to distribute. BTW, in the link I do not agree that Goose Island's IPA is Euro, but I suppose that is splitting hairs.

The story of the IPA is a great one, regardless of what you think of the style. The concept of fortifying a beer in order for it to make the trip overseas is classic to me.

BTW, hl, if you haven't had it, the Stone Ruination IPA might be right up your alley. I split a bottle last night and it loved me long time. It's almost an imperial, or maybe it is? :unsure: