• Please log in to reply
858 replies to this topic

#841 jollymania

jollymania

Heavy Hitter

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,610 posts

Posted 11 August 2011 - 10:10 PM

When I go out, I simply drink light beer, like Miller Lite or Bud Light. Don't like the feeling of being filled up by regular/craft beers.

Flame away.

drink German helles beer or pils, hardly any more calories but twice as much flavor, schwarzbier works too.

Drinking miller lite to avoid being filled up is just something born out of marketing i think, quite frankly it is overpriced. When i lived in germany the last few months everyone: women, wine drinkers, weight watchers, ect all drank helles beer and never complained about being bloated. Hell, they could put down a few maßes of them.

I agree to a point, coming back from Germany i can't drink high gravity craft beers like i used to.
"I assure you the hits along the boards he(Aaron Downey) constantly threw SEVERAL TIMES EVERY SHIFT were far more damaging hits that what Kronwall throws."
- uk_redwing
HockeyArchive Twitter

#842 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,619 posts

Posted 12 August 2011 - 10:31 AM

drink German helles beer or pils, hardly any more calories but twice as much flavor, schwarzbier works too.

Drinking miller lite to avoid being filled up is just something born out of marketing i think, quite frankly it is overpriced. When i lived in germany the last few months everyone: women, wine drinkers, weight watchers, ect all drank helles beer and never complained about being bloated. Hell, they could put down a few maßes of them.

I agree to a point, coming back from Germany i can't drink high gravity craft beers like i used to.

I don't think is as much marketing - I drink that because it really doesn't fill me up. Don't get me wrong, I really like and appreciate craft beer, but I only drink it when I'm at home and can enjoy it.

"All done? Five bucks." - Pavel Datsyuk after an interview
"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#843 jollymania

jollymania

Heavy Hitter

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,610 posts

Posted 12 August 2011 - 04:41 PM

I don't think is as much marketing - I drink that because it really doesn't fill me up. Don't get me wrong, I really like and appreciate craft beer, but I only drink it when I'm at home and can enjoy it.

you can achieve the same thing with helles beer (who knew helles means "light" in German) and actually enjoy it, ironically miller lite fills me up because it tastes so bad i can't take more than a few sips. Just trying to help you out staying away form the big giants who don't set out to produce quality beer.

Edited by jollymania, 12 August 2011 - 04:43 PM.

"I assure you the hits along the boards he(Aaron Downey) constantly threw SEVERAL TIMES EVERY SHIFT were far more damaging hits that what Kronwall throws."
- uk_redwing
HockeyArchive Twitter

#844 kook_10

kook_10

I Like Our Team

• Gold Booster
  • 2,230 posts

Posted 13 August 2011 - 11:30 AM

You may like "Helles" because its a term meaning light in color and is specific to a style of German blond lagers (as opposed to Czech Pilsner style). Spaten, Paulaner, Augustiner lagers are all Helles. "Leicht" is what the Germans use to mean lower calories and/or alcohol. German leicht beers tend to suck too.

Edited by kook_10, 13 August 2011 - 11:35 AM.

works every time

#845 jollymania

jollymania

Heavy Hitter

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,610 posts

Posted 14 August 2011 - 04:15 PM

You may like "Helles" because its a term meaning light in color and is specific to a style of German blond lagers (as opposed to Czech Pilsner style). Spaten, Paulaner, Augustiner lagers are all Helles. "Leicht" is what the Germans use to mean lower calories and/or alcohol. German leicht beers tend to suck too.

All of the Leicht Weissbiers are crappier than the originals but miles ahead of miller or the like. I wasn't using Helles to denote "Lite" beers just pointing out that it is an easy to drink style that isn't very filling.

Edited by jollymania, 14 August 2011 - 04:16 PM.

- uk_redwing
HockeyArchive Twitter

#846 jollymania

jollymania

Heavy Hitter

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,610 posts

Posted 15 September 2011 - 08:41 PM

had a growler of live oak hefeweizen today
- uk_redwing
HockeyArchive Twitter

#847 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,619 posts

Posted 18 September 2011 - 11:32 PM

Poured from a can into a pint glass.

A: Pours a nice golden amber color with a finger width head. Fades after a bit, a moderate amount of lacing left behind.

S: Very bready with caramel and roasted malt hints. Undertones of grain and citrus present as well.

T: As with the scent, nice malt and caramel tones with a slight bitterness.

M: Medium mouthfeel with moderate carbonation.

D: Nice drinkability. Not one to pound back, but more than one can be enjoyed.

A fair Canadian brew.

"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#848 sleepwalker

sleepwalker

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,063 posts

Posted 25 September 2011 - 10:15 AM

Even though I'm broke, I decided to splurge for the first televised Wings game today with an old favorite, a sixer of Two Hearted.

#849 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,619 posts

Posted 01 October 2011 - 11:48 AM

I'll be having plenty of Molson's at the Joe on Friday.

#850 jollymania

jollymania

Heavy Hitter

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,610 posts

Posted 23 October 2011 - 08:56 PM

Rogue first growth single malt, three floyds jinx proof, and labatt blue dry tonight, the jinx proof is the best, as a light lager it rips the labatt about 15 new bowels.
- uk_redwing
HockeyArchive Twitter

#851 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,619 posts

Posted 26 October 2011 - 08:06 AM

Tried some Great Lakes Burning River yesterday. Not bad.

#852 Shoreline

Shoreline

Panzerfaust

• HoF Booster
  • 12,817 posts

Posted 29 October 2011 - 01:31 AM

Who's up for a game of battleship?

http://kotaku.com/58...et-you-hammered

#853 sleepwalker

sleepwalker

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,063 posts

Posted 29 October 2011 - 11:26 AM

Been splurging a bit lately. Have a sixer of Great Lakes Commodore Perry in the fridge for tonights game.

Drank my last few of bottles of Brew Kettle White Rajah during last nights game. Good stuff! (too bad the game was a disappointment)

#854 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,619 posts

Posted 29 October 2011 - 10:10 PM

Bud Light Golden Wheat.

Poured into a pint glass.

A: Pours a hazy amber color. Nice two finger width head that fades before too long, leaving behind pretty minimal lacing.

S: A pleasant grainy scent with hints of citrus and coriander with hints of wheat.

T: Very similar to the scent. Flavors of grain and wheat with citrus. A nice hint of spice as well. Pretty similar to Blue Moon.

M: Light body. Pretty moderate carbonation.

D: This is an easy one to drink. A step above Bud Light.

Pretty good choice. Better than what I was expecting.

Serving type: bottle

#855 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,619 posts

Posted 27 November 2011 - 11:31 PM

Looks like Michelob AmberBock tonight.

#856 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,619 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 11:19 PM

How's everyone celebrating Cinco? Few Bud Light limes for me.

#857 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,619 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 10:24 PM

Who is enjoying a cold one tonight?

#858 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,619 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 10:59 PM

Plenty of Bud Lights for me tonight. What's everyone drinking? 

#859 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,619 posts

Posted 03 September 2014 - 06:27 PM

Tasty Samuel Adams tonight. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users