857 replies to this topic

#101 hallelujahlogic

hallelujahlogic

awake, affiliated, and indelible.

• HoF Booster
  • 549 posts

Posted 28 June 2008 - 08:13 PM

QUOTE (Inultus @ June 28, 2008 - 08:30PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yeah, I have to agree, we have tons of great microbreweries in the States, honestly I think our beer is much better than European stuff, but then again if you like lagers you might disagree as Europe does a lot more of the lighter stuff.

My favorite style is IPA and the American style IPAs kick the ass of European style IPAs, at least IMO.

you know...i can't even think of a single IPA brewed in europe. i'm not sure if i have any frame of reference as to what a european-style IPA taste like. i understand the difference between west coast style and a regular american IPA, but what's the distinction of a european-style? i typically like to keep my ibu's under 60, so i'm not a big IPA person in general, but i'm curious.

oh and speaking of IPA's...bell's two hearted is delicious. and if i'm feeling in an uncharacteristically hoppy mood, dogfish head makes an imperal ipa that'll knock me on my ass and put a smile on my face. it's probably up around 100 ibu's though..

Posted Image

#102 Inultus

Inultus

Slush ****

• PipPipPipPip
  • 885 posts

Posted 29 June 2008 - 03:57 AM

QUOTE (hallelujahlogic @ June 28, 2008 - 09:13PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
you know...i can't even think of a single IPA brewed in europe. i'm not sure if i have any frame of reference as to what a european-style IPA taste like. i understand the difference between west coast style and a regular american IPA, but what's the distinction of a european-style?

Lest I explain it badly, I like this linky.

Euro IPAs have gone the way of the dodo here, mainly because they are mild and harder to distribute. BTW, in the link I do not agree that Goose Island's IPA is Euro, but I suppose that is splitting hairs.

The story of the IPA is a great one, regardless of what you think of the style. The concept of fortifying a beer in order for it to make the trip overseas is classic to me.

BTW, hl, if you haven't had it, the Stone Ruination IPA might be right up your alley. I split a bottle last night and it loved me long time. It's almost an imperial, or maybe it is? unsure.gif

"It's been six years since we won the Cup. That's too long." -Nick Lidstrom

"my message is simple: The next time anyone runs any of our guys in a way that shouldn't be done, then a message will be sent. I'm not going to go out and run your skill guys, your superstars. I'm going to go right to the guy (who did it), and fair justice is fair justice." -Downey

#103 MSUDoubleJ19

MSUDoubleJ19

Mmm, pancakes.

• HoF Booster
  • 669 posts

Posted 29 June 2008 - 11:46 AM

We had some Leinenkugel's last night watching our town fireworks - I had the Sunset Wheat. It's decent, it's a light summer beer and I don't by it regularly but it's nice to have every now and then.

We are hoping to get a batch of homebrew going here in the next month. I wish hops weren't so freakin' expensive. Did I mention we did custom label microbrewed beer for our wedding favors? That was fun. smile.gif

And I wonder
If everything could ever feel this real forever
If anything could ever be this good again

#104 hallelujahlogic

hallelujahlogic

• HoF Booster
  • 549 posts

Posted 29 June 2008 - 01:24 PM

QUOTE (MSUDoubleJ19 @ June 29, 2008 - 12:46PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
We had some Leinenkugel's last night watching our town fireworks - I had the Sunset Wheat. It's decent, it's a light summer beer and I don't by it regularly but it's nice to have every now and then.

We are hoping to get a batch of homebrew going here in the next month. I wish hops weren't so freakin' expensive. Did I mention we did custom label microbrewed beer for our wedding favors? That was fun. smile.gif

wow! that's awesome!

and what kind of style of beer was the 'i do brew'?

Posted Image

#105 Rivalred

Rivalred

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 7,100 posts

Posted 29 June 2008 - 03:29 PM

Any one else read or heard about the price of alcohol and liquor going up?
D-Fence Avatar Win-O-Meter 8-1

#106 hallelujahlogic

hallelujahlogic

• HoF Booster
  • 549 posts

Posted 29 June 2008 - 03:39 PM

QUOTE (Rivalred @ June 29, 2008 - 04:29PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Any one else read or heard about the price of alcohol and liquor going up?

well, there's a worldwide hops shortage...

Posted Image

#107 Rivalred

Rivalred

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 7,100 posts

Posted 29 June 2008 - 03:41 PM

QUOTE (hallelujahlogic @ June 29, 2008 - 04:39PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I know... wink.gif

#108 Inultus

Inultus

Slush ****

• PipPipPipPip
  • 885 posts

Posted 30 June 2008 - 05:11 AM

QUOTE (hallelujahlogic @ June 29, 2008 - 04:39PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

A myth, IMO. Hops can grow almost anywhere. I've heard this rumor as well, but my local homebrew suppliers have yet to see an increase in cost, or a shortage in supplies. If in fact they do turn out to be in short supply I'll start my own online hops shop, in fact that is what I'll call it, because I have a bunch in my freezer right now and I can make those ******* replicate.

On a serious note, hops are essentially a flower, grown on a vine, in the same family as pot. I don't even smoke pot, but I think it's interesting. Maybe if hops are hard to get, pot will be as well. Potheads of the world freak out, you paranoid so-and-sos!!!

Gotcha, Charles!

"my message is simple: The next time anyone runs any of our guys in a way that shouldn't be done, then a message will be sent. I'm not going to go out and run your skill guys, your superstars. I'm going to go right to the guy (who did it), and fair justice is fair justice." -Downey

#109 MSUDoubleJ19

MSUDoubleJ19

Mmm, pancakes.

• HoF Booster
  • 669 posts

Posted 30 June 2008 - 06:01 AM

QUOTE (hallelujahlogic @ June 29, 2008 - 09:24AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
wow! that's awesome!

and what kind of style of beer was the 'i do brew'?

It was an Amber Ale - I wanted to do the 10% alcohol IPA the brewery make but I didn't know if everyone could handle it. So we brought in a keg of that to serve at the reception in addition to the standards.

And as for the hop shortage, I believe it's true - the prices went up for the brewery to buy them at least. My father-in-law is growing some and they're looking good, we'll pry try to plant some ourselves and see what happens too.
And I wonder
If everything could ever feel this real forever
If anything could ever be this good again

#110 Doggy

Doggy

Meanwhile...

• HoF Booster
  • 4,342 posts

Posted 30 June 2008 - 06:11 AM

QUOTE (Inultus @ June 30, 2008 - 05:11AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
A myth, IMO. Hops can grow almost anywhere. I've heard this rumor as well, but my local homebrew suppliers have yet to see an increase in cost, or a shortage in supplies. If in fact they do turn out to be in short supply I'll start my own online hops shop, in fact that is what I'll call it, because I have a bunch in my freezer right now and I can make those ******* replicate.

On a serious note, hops are essentially a flower, grown on a vine, in the same family as pot. I don't even smoke pot, but I think it's interesting. Maybe if hops are hard to get, pot will be as well. Potheads of the world freak out, you paranoid so-and-sos!!!

Gotcha, Charles!

Lol. No offense, but you don't know what you're talking about.

I'm not a beer supplier however I have been in the supply side of the liquor industry for almost 4 years and have heard a bit about it in the trade.

A few factors developing for many years have lead to the shortage compounded by the bad weather in Europe 2 years ago that ruined crops. Hops is not like oil though, the shortage will only be temporary.
Rough as guts.

#111 Inultus

Inultus

Slush ****

• PipPipPipPip
  • 885 posts

Posted 01 July 2008 - 01:32 PM

QUOTE (Doggy @ June 30, 2008 - 07:11AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Lol. No offense, but you don't know what you're talking about.

I'm not a beer supplier however I have been in the supply side of the liquor industry for almost 4 years and have heard a bit about it in the trade.

A few factors developing for many years have lead to the shortage compounded by the bad weather in Europe 2 years ago that ruined crops. Hops is not like oil though, the shortage will only be temporary.

Look man, here's the breakdown: Yes, there was a shortage of hops IN CERTAIN AREAS, but there was/is no worldwide shortage. Sam Adams came up with a ton of hops to sell to breweries who were having problems with their normal suppliers. Obviously Sam Adams was getting their hops from somewhere.

No offense to you, maybe you know what you are talking about in Australia, but our USA microbreweries are doing just fine on supplies. And personally I don't give a s*** about the macrobreweries.

Edited by Inultus, 01 July 2008 - 01:32 PM.

#112 Rivalred

Rivalred

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 7,100 posts

Posted 01 July 2008 - 01:52 PM

Information right from the Horses mouth:

http://www.samuelada...ng/Default.aspx

Looks like the Hops was from Germany and England

Interesting it states what brewers where hardest hit

Edited by Rivalred, 01 July 2008 - 01:57 PM.

#113 hallelujahlogic

hallelujahlogic

• HoF Booster
  • 549 posts

Posted 01 July 2008 - 03:19 PM

QUOTE (Inultus @ July 1, 2008 - 02:32PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Look man, here's the breakdown: Yes, there was a shortage of hops IN CERTAIN AREAS, but there was/is no worldwide shortage. Sam Adams came up with a ton of hops to sell to breweries who were having problems with their normal suppliers. Obviously Sam Adams was getting their hops from somewhere.

No offense to you, maybe you know what you are talking about in Australia, but our USA microbreweries are doing just fine on supplies. And personally I don't give a s*** about the macrobreweries.

yeah, i remember reading that about sam adams too. such a great company. jim koch is a hell of a stand up guy, imo.

Posted Image

#114 BlakChamber

BlakChamber

Don't Mess With...

• Gold Booster
  • 4,189 posts

Posted 01 July 2008 - 07:55 PM

When I was back in MI, I picked up a bunch of singles I can't find down here. So far I've had the Bell's Brown Ale, which was good. And the Magic Hat #9, which I'm trying to figure out what the big deal about this beer is. It didn't have much of a taste to me.

The demon code prevents me from declining a rock-off challenge.

#115 tiff_luvs_homer

tiff_luvs_homer

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 406 posts

Posted 01 July 2008 - 08:57 PM

I'm drinking a Bud Light with Lime right now, and I've gotta admit... it's pretty tasty!

Thank you TeeMan for the awesome sig!

"I'm a bad skater, you know but I don't need this $hit" - Tomas Holmstrom

#116 Doggy

Doggy

Meanwhile...

• HoF Booster
  • 4,342 posts

Posted 02 July 2008 - 04:10 AM

QUOTE (Rivalred @ July 1, 2008 - 01:52PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Information right from the Horses mouth:

http://www.samuelada...ng/Default.aspx

Looks like the Hops was from Germany and England

Interesting it states what brewers where hardest hit

Thanks Rivalred. I guess one of the worlds largest brewing companies doens't know what it's talking about either.
Rough as guts.

#117 Inultus

Inultus

Slush ****

• PipPipPipPip
  • 885 posts

Posted 02 July 2008 - 11:22 AM

QUOTE (BlakChamber @ July 1, 2008 - 08:55PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
When I was back in MI, I picked up a bunch of singles I can't find down here. So far I've had the Bell's Brown Ale, which was good. And the Magic Hat #9, which I'm trying to figure out what the big deal about this beer is. It didn't have much of a taste to me.

We've been carrying #9 for quite a while now, it's an apricot ale and I would suggest that if it didn't have much taste to you then perhaps you had a bad batch. I also find that it's better on draft than in the bottle. It's great mixed with Guinness (a Black Magic, as they call it). Bell's Best Brown is still one of their best sellers, tho not comparable to the mighty Oberon.

As far as the hops issue, I really don't want to argue about it anymore but I go to beer tastings on a regular basis and talk to brewers from all over the US (especially from the midwest area) and I haven't had anyone that has not been able to get hops. Perhaps part of that is because a large part of our micros in the midwest and eastern coast use hops grown here.

#118 puckhog419

puckhog419

M.I.A.

• PipPipPip
  • 556 posts

Posted 02 July 2008 - 01:07 PM

budlight
coors light
miller light
sierra nevada...sneaks in there

or anything else

But you just don't put the third letter of the alphabet over your heart and replace Steve Yzerman!

#119 BlakChamber

BlakChamber

Don't Mess With...

• Gold Booster
  • 4,189 posts

Posted 02 July 2008 - 01:48 PM

QUOTE (Inultus @ July 2, 2008 - 10:22AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
We've been carrying #9 for quite a while now, it's an apricot ale and I would suggest that if it didn't have much taste to you then perhaps you had a bad batch. I also find that it's better on draft than in the bottle. It's great mixed with Guinness (a Black Magic, as they call it).

It had a sweet aftertaste, which must have been the apricot. I've heard a lot of people make a big deal of it, but I just don't see what the deal is.

The demon code prevents me from declining a rock-off challenge.

#120 Shoreline

Shoreline

Panzerfaust

• HoF Booster
  • 12,817 posts

Posted 02 July 2008 - 01:51 PM

QUOTE (puckhog419 @ July 2, 2008 - 11:07AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
budlight
coors light
miller light
sierra nevada...sneaks in there

or anything else

And you call yourself a Spartan?! ph34r.gif

QUOTE (BlakChamber @ July 2, 2008 - 11:48AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It had a sweet aftertaste, which must have been the apricot. I've heard a lot of people make a big deal of it, but I just don't see what the deal is.

Reminds me of these apricot and peach flavored alcohols. One was a bittersweet taste, the apricot, the other tasted like liquid hot dogs (ugh), the peach. This is why I prefer bringing my own alcohol to parties, especially ones that involve women. wink.gif Most just don't know good alcohol.

Edited by Shoreline, 02 July 2008 - 01:52 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users