• Please log in to reply
867 replies to this topic

#121 MSUDoubleJ19

MSUDoubleJ19

Mmm, pancakes.

• HoF Booster
  • 669 posts

Posted 02 July 2008 - 02:28 PM

I will be participating in a beer olympics over the fourth and one of the events is a beer tasting contest. Basically there are 6 different brews (say, IPA, Stout, Wheat, etc.) in numbered cups and we have to taste and guess which beer is which. I'm not sure how good I will do, but I will have fun participating,
And I wonder
If everything could ever feel this real forever
If anything could ever be this good again

#122 puckhog419

puckhog419

M.I.A.

• PipPipPip
  • 556 posts

Posted 02 July 2008 - 07:05 PM

QUOTE (Shoreline @ July 2, 2008 - 11:51AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
And you call yourself a Spartan?! ph34r.gif

Reminds me of these apricot and peach flavored alcohols. One was a bittersweet taste, the apricot, the other tasted like liquid hot dogs (ugh), the peach. This is why I prefer bringing my own alcohol to parties, especially ones that involve women. wink.gif Most just don't know good alcohol.

haha thanks. i didnt really drink beer bc i stopped drinking beer for a while and i started again so its a slow start rolleyes.gif

But you just don't put the third letter of the alphabet over your heart and replace Steve Yzerman!

#123 hallelujahlogic

hallelujahlogic

awake, affiliated, and indelible.

• HoF Booster
  • 549 posts

Posted 02 July 2008 - 07:07 PM

QUOTE (MSUDoubleJ19 @ July 2, 2008 - 03:28PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I will be participating in a beer olympics over the fourth and one of the events is a beer tasting contest. Basically there are 6 different brews (say, IPA, Stout, Wheat, etc.) in numbered cups and we have to taste and guess which beer is which. I'm not sure how good I will do, but I will have fun participating,

how cool!!!
haha...you can go out and drink beer every night and say you're 'training'.
be sure to tell us how it goes, and...good luck!

Posted Image

#124 Inultus

Inultus

Slush ****

• PipPipPipPip
  • 885 posts

Posted 03 July 2008 - 01:26 PM

QUOTE (Shoreline @ July 2, 2008 - 02:51PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Reminds me of these apricot and peach flavored alcohols. One was a bittersweet taste, the apricot, the other tasted like liquid hot dogs (ugh), the peach. This is why I prefer bringing my own alcohol to parties, especially ones that involve women. wink.gif Most just don't know good alcohol.

Southern Comfort has both peach and apricot in it and personally I think it's pretty damn good. I just had an Alabama Slammer last night actually. Which "alcohols" are you speaking of here?

"It's been six years since we won the Cup. That's too long." -Nick Lidstrom

"my message is simple: The next time anyone runs any of our guys in a way that shouldn't be done, then a message will be sent. I'm not going to go out and run your skill guys, your superstars. I'm going to go right to the guy (who did it), and fair justice is fair justice." -Downey

#125 Inultus

Inultus

Slush ****

• PipPipPipPip
  • 885 posts

Posted 03 July 2008 - 01:32 PM

QUOTE (MSUDoubleJ19 @ July 2, 2008 - 03:28PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That sounds like a lot of fun. As someone who has attended a lot of beer tastings, if you need any advice let me know, I'll give some basics here.

One way to narrow down your beers is to check the color first.

IPAs will pretty much always be a cloudy amber. Stouts will always be dark brown or black. Wheats will generally be a cloudy lighter yellow/amber. Pilsners are generally yellow and clear.

Smell the beer before you taste it. Take a good whiff while shaking the glass in a circle to release the effervescence. That's the nose.

Take a sip, and gurgle it a bit in your mouth, swish it around with your tongue for a few seconds before swallowing. That's the mouth.

Do that again with another sip, then swallow and breathe out and in. There's the finish. Have fun!

"my message is simple: The next time anyone runs any of our guys in a way that shouldn't be done, then a message will be sent. I'm not going to go out and run your skill guys, your superstars. I'm going to go right to the guy (who did it), and fair justice is fair justice." -Downey

#126 SouthernWingsFan

SouthernWingsFan

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 24,609 posts

Posted 04 July 2008 - 09:40 PM

I tried out Stella Artois today. Here is the wiki on it...

http://en.wikipedia....i/Stella_Artois

Stella Artois (pronounced /ˈstɛlə ɑrˈtwɑː/) is a 5.2% ABV global lager first brewed in Leuven, Belgium in 1926 as a Christmas brew, and named Stella after the Latin for "star."[1]

Although Belgium is best known internationally for its ales, the so-called "table beers," the bottom-fermented pilsner lagers such as Stella Artois head the list for domestic consumption, making up almost 75% of Belgian beer production. Stella is promoted as an international brand by its brewer, InBev. In its home market of Belgium, however, it is marketed, priced and sold as a regular lager. It is brewed in Belgium and the United Kingdom, as well as other countries, including Australia. Much of the Stella Artois exported from Europe is currently produced at InBev's brewery in Belgium, and packaged in the Beck's brewery in Bremen, Germany.

I liked this lager a lot. Good simple taste with a slight tangy feel to it, but nothing too crazy to where you can't drink a few more of it in one setting/evening.

#127 Inultus

Inultus

Slush ****

• PipPipPipPip
  • 885 posts

Posted 07 July 2008 - 12:31 PM

QUOTE (SouthernWingsFan @ July 4, 2008 - 10:40PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I tried out Stella Artois today. Here is the wiki on it...

http://en.wikipedia....i/Stella_Artois

I liked this lager a lot. Good simple taste with a slight tangy feel to it, but nothing too crazy to where you can't drink a few more of it in one setting/evening.

I have the same problem with Stella as I do with Heineken. They both taste skunked to me and it's probably because they are shipped overseas in green bottles. It is well-established that green and clear bottles offer very little protection for the beer.

Also, at least in my area all of the people who ask for Stella are yuppies who think they know good beer but turn up their nose at local Michigan micros. I imagine there are probably a lot lless yuppies down there tho.

#128 hallelujahlogic

hallelujahlogic

• HoF Booster
  • 549 posts

Posted 07 July 2008 - 01:03 PM

QUOTE (Inultus @ July 7, 2008 - 01:31PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I have the same problem with Stella as I do with Heineken. They both taste skunked to me and it's probably because they are shipped overseas in green bottles. It is well-established that green and clear bottles offer very little protection for the beer.

Also, at least in my area all of the people who ask for Stella are yuppies who think they know good beer but turn up their nose at local Michigan micros. I imagine there are probably a lot lless yuppies down there tho.

i agree w/you absolutely. however, if it were free, i'd probably drink stella. you couldn't even pay me to drink heine. (well..uh..unless i was already drunk.)

Posted Image

#129 Shoreline

Shoreline

Panzerfaust

• HoF Booster
  • 12,817 posts

Posted 07 July 2008 - 01:14 PM

QUOTE (Inultus @ July 3, 2008 - 11:26AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Southern Comfort has both peach and apricot in it

Yet there's really no taste of either in it. There's quite a difference between a blended liqueur and a designed taste of a specific fruit/flavor.

and personally I think it's pretty damn good

So do I. Goes well with Root Beer.

Which "alcohols" are you speaking of here?

Well, one of a few I remember is Pyramid. This is the crap that tastes like hot dogs. Nasty. puke.gif

Edited by Shoreline, 07 July 2008 - 01:15 PM.

#130 Inultus

Inultus

Slush ****

• PipPipPipPip
  • 885 posts

Posted 07 July 2008 - 01:46 PM

QUOTE (Shoreline @ July 7, 2008 - 02:14PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Well, one of a few I remember is Pyramid. This is the crap that tastes like hot dogs. Nasty. puke.gif

I wasn't sure that you were talking about beer. Anyway, did you have the Pyramid on draft or in the bottle? I find it interesting that certain beers are way better on tap and some are way better in the bottle. Depends on a lot of factors.

#131 BlakChamber

BlakChamber

Don't Mess With...

• Gold Booster
  • 4,189 posts

Posted 07 July 2008 - 03:43 PM

QUOTE (Inultus @ July 7, 2008 - 11:31AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I can't stand Heineken, it always tastes skunked too me too.

Haven't had Stella, no real reason to try it though.

The demon code prevents me from declining a rock-off challenge.

#132 betterREDthandead

betterREDthandead

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 7,744 posts

Posted 07 July 2008 - 07:44 PM

I'm with the rest of you. Heineken is s***.
Posted Image
"Before Detroit games, the meetings are always longer." - Nashville's Paul Kariya

#133 hallelujahlogic

hallelujahlogic

• HoF Booster
  • 549 posts

Posted 07 July 2008 - 07:56 PM

QUOTE (Shoreline @ July 7, 2008 - 02:14PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yet there's really no taste of either in it. There's quite a difference between a blended liqueur and a designed taste of a specific fruit/flavor.

So do I. Goes well with Root Beer.

weird..i had the pyramid apricot before, and thought it was quite good, for a fruit beer. not something i'd want to drink every day, but certainly refreshing and well-crafted. maybe you got a bad batch?

Posted Image

#134 Doggy

Doggy

Meanwhile...

• HoF Booster
  • 4,346 posts

Posted 07 July 2008 - 08:04 PM

QUOTE (betterREDthandead @ July 7, 2008 - 07:44PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm with the rest of you. Heineken is s***.

Agreed. Like almost all popular worldwide beers, it bears its success from good marketing as opposed to good brewing.
Rough as guts.

#135 CaliWingsNut

CaliWingsNut

PeeWee Bettman

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,744 posts

Posted 07 July 2008 - 09:15 PM

Beer... Beer... and more Beer... I can't believe I've missed this topic for so long!

I love me some....
Anchor Steam (anything... The only brews I've disliked from them is a couple of their holiday beers, which change annually)
Rogue Dead Guy
Arrogant Bastard
Hemp Ale
and I've had and enjoyed tiger beer while in China. Amazingly, budweiser tastes even worse out in asia, since they use even more rice in those brews.

My typical bar beer drinks would be a bass, stella, or Molson Canadian (wish I could get REAL Canadian XXX in Cali).

Figures don't lie, but liars sure figure. - Mark Twain

#136 Shoreline

Shoreline

Panzerfaust

• HoF Booster
  • 12,817 posts

Posted 07 July 2008 - 11:37 PM

QUOTE (hallelujahlogic @ July 7, 2008 - 05:56PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
weird..i had the pyramid apricot before, and thought it was quite good, for a fruit beer. not something i'd want to drink every day, but certainly refreshing and well-crafted. maybe you got a bad batch?

If by "batch" you mean family (for their taste in beer), yes. scared.gif

#137 TeeMan

TeeMan

Victory will be Hockeytown

• PipPipPip
  • 580 posts

Posted 08 July 2008 - 12:00 AM

OK all, you have to try the Kokanee GOLD.

YUMMY.. cup.gif

Go with the gold, it's 5.3%. cup.gif

Edited by TeeMan, 08 July 2008 - 12:22 AM.

#138 hallelujahlogic

hallelujahlogic

• HoF Booster
  • 549 posts

Posted 08 July 2008 - 07:16 AM

QUOTE (CaliWingsNut @ July 7, 2008 - 10:15PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Beer... Beer... and more Beer... I can't believe I've missed this topic for so long!

I love me some....
Anchor Steam (anything... The only brews I've disliked from them is a couple of their holiday beers, which change annually)
Rogue Dead Guy
Arrogant Bastard
Hemp Ale
and I've had and enjoyed tiger beer while in China. Amazingly, budweiser tastes even worse out in asia, since they use even more rice in those brews.

My typical bar beer drinks would be a bass, stella, or Molson Canadian (wish I could get REAL Canadian XXX in Cali).

hemp ale? i would LOVE to try that. can you recommend any one in particular?
and i'm totally w/you on the anchor steam..i don't think i've ever had a bad beer by them.

Posted Image

#139 hallelujahlogic

hallelujahlogic

• HoF Booster
  • 549 posts

Posted 08 July 2008 - 07:24 AM

QUOTE (TeeMan @ July 8, 2008 - 01:00AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
OK all, you have to try the Kokanee GOLD.

YUMMY.. cup.gif

Go with the gold, it's 5.3%. cup.gif

haha that video was cute..."what dreams..are...made of.." laugh.gif

i'd like to try kokanee, but i don't know if it's even available over here. i've never seen it anywhere. i'll keep my eye open though, and if i can find it, i'll most definitely pick some up, and report back w/my findings.

Posted Image

#140 MSUDoubleJ19

MSUDoubleJ19

Mmm, pancakes.

• HoF Booster
  • 669 posts

Posted 08 July 2008 - 09:20 AM

So, Beer tasting as part of the Beer Olympics didn't happen. We started the Olympics with a bang, but oddly enough we became a bit unorganized and disoriented as we progressed. Next time, perhaps we will kick the games off with the beer tasting.

Thanks for the tips though. smile.gif
And I wonder
If everything could ever feel this real forever
If anything could ever be this good again

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users