• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
tazzer82

Malone wants players to "get their elbows and sticks up"

Rate this topic

So I was reading and came across this from Ryan Malone:

The Pittsburgh Penguins are well aware of the damage he can do catching an unsuspecting puck-carrier with his head down in the neutral zone. Ryan Malone suggested a targeted player get his elbow and stick up to counter Kronwall, when the teams meet in the Stanley Cup finals.

"You have to have your head up and be ready. If your elbows get up quick enough, you have to protect yourself also," Malone, the 6-4, 224-pound Penguins forward, said during a conference call Wednesday. "If by accident your stick gets up a little bit, maybe he learns his lesson. He's definitely a player you have to keep your eye on."

http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index.ssf/20...yes_on_red.html

Learns what lesson exactly? If it's a clean hit, then there is no reason to get your elbow or stick up in his face. I can't wait to see Kronner derail on of the Penguins with a big hit.

Kronwall is so good at picking his spots that whenever he delivers one of his open ice hits A: the guy doesn't even see him coming or B: the guy sees him at the last second and doesn't have time to react.

Malone does make a good point though, you gotta protect yourself at all times

The Pittsburgh Penguins are well aware of the damage he can do catching an unsuspecting puck-carrier with his head down in the neutral zone. Ryan Malone suggested a targeted player get his elbow and stick up to counter Kronwall, when the teams meet in the Stanley Cup finals.

"You have to have your head up and be ready. If your elbows get up quick enough, you have to protect yourself also," Malone, the 6-4, 224-pound Penguins forward, said during a conference call Wednesday. "If by accident your stick gets up a little bit, maybe he learns his lesson. He's definitely a player you have to keep your eye on."

Learns what lesson exactly? If it's a clean hit, then there is no reason to get your elbow or stick up in his face. I can't wait to see Kronner derail on of the Penguins with a big hit.

and i cant wait to see orpick put one of the wings thru the glass :-) gotta love playoff hockey............ good luck

and i cant wait to see orpick put one of the wings thru the glass :-) gotta love playoff hockey............ good luck

The Wings are a very hard team to hit, just so that you know!!

To be fair, a lot -- if not most -- of Kronner's big open-ice hits are questionable.

I have thought that since the Nashville series, but thought if I typed it I would get my head tore off!!!

To be fair, a lot -- if not most -- of Kronner's big open-ice hits are questionable.

No big deal. After the Rags and Cryers taking runs all playoffs, not to mention the entire division all season, one guy isn't gonna rattle the Pens. He doesn't really wanna answer to Big George anyway.

I have thought that since the Nashville series, but thought if I typed it I would get my head tore off!!!

I completely agree with both of you. While some of them are solid, clean hits, there are a good portion of them that are questionable.

Agree'd, Kronwall's big hits have been on the clean/dirty line. But I am glad we have at least one person banging... Usually we are the one's recieving these type of hits I am glad we have at least 1 person throwing them back... so long as they aren't done puprosely to injure.

Personally, I think Malone would be better off leaving Pittsburgh and coming to Detroit to join Kronwall in crushing people. Who knows, maybe it could happen in the off season?!

No big deal. After the Rags and Cryers taking runs all playoffs, not to mention the entire division all season, one guy isn't gonna rattle the Pens. He doesn't really wanna answer to Big George anyway.

He won't answer to Big George. If Laraque tried to square up against Kronner I'm fairly certain Kronwall would pass and leave that up to Dmac or Downey (both of which would get beat, but are much less important to the Wings than Kronwall is).

wanna see a good clean game out there :-)....... pens are fast too.......... cant wait to watch it.........

I agree, a lot of them are questionable, but I wouldn't call them dirty (I know you didn't either, not sure if that's what you were thinking though).

I think he jumps into a lot of hits and that's what makes them questionable, but he generally hits with his shoulder and not usually with elbows. Hitting with your shoulder can be dirty too, I'm just not sure I would classify his hits that way.

wanna see a good clean game out there :-)....... pens are fast too.......... cant wait to watch it.........

I agree 100% I have said in other threads this will be a very well played series and will demonstrate the skill that the NHL players posses.

I do however think that this year it is the Wings to lose.

Next year the year after, holy s*** look out.

Then the pens will have a bunch of guys under 27 with a lot of skill, and the desire that can only come from losing in the SCF, and they will have the experience that comes from being eliminated early in the post season, making it to the SCF (it is a grind mentally and physically), and losing in the SCF.

They will be very motivated, very hungry and very talented that is a deadly combination!!!!

He won't answer to Big George. If Laraque tried to square up against Kronner I'm fairly certain Kronwall would pass and leave that up to Dmac or Downey (both of which would get beat, but are much less important to the Wings than Kronwall is).

Probably true. If Kronwall runs someone though, I hope it's Malkin. He's starting to learn from the Messier school of payback. Instead of relying on his goon to fight the opposing offender (which accomplishes nothing), he waits for the right moment and takes a shot at an opposing star. Ask Briere how it feels to pay for Hatcher's sins.

No big deal. After the Rags and Cryers taking runs all playoffs, not to mention the entire division all season, one guy isn't gonna rattle the Pens. He doesn't really wanna answer to Big George anyway

I hope nobody on our team drops the gloves with him, haha.

As far as that quote, for the most part he's right, protect yourself at all times. Sticks up though... not so much.

I also agree that Kronwall's hits have been borderline sometimes and I'm actually surprised the media hasn't given him more grief about it. But I do love that him and Drake have been throwing some hits. Love it!

When was the last time Big George did anything to anyone?

He has 4 pims all post season, who has had to answer to George since the playoffs started?

He doesn't really wanna answer to Big George anyway.

Still the regular season mindset? I wouldn't mind "big George" finding himself in the penalty box for after-the-whistle foolishness, so go right ahead. As long as it's a clean hit then the Penguins player that gets plastered should've kept his head up. Any "retribution" at this stage of the post-season is asking for trouble.

------

Anyone want to place any bets on who Kronwall pastes in Game 1? My pick is Dupuis.

When was the last time Big George did anything to anyone?

He has 4 pims all post season, who has had to answer to George since the playoffs started?

This is what is wrong with today's NHL, no one has to answer to him. No one is going to fight the guy.

FWIW, I don't have any problems with what Malone said -- that's hockey. Now saying it and being able to do it out there are completely different. Kronwall picks his spots very, very well.

That's old-time hockey. Guys from the 70's and 80's did that all the time.

Bob Clarke was one of the best at it.

I agree, a lot of them are questionable, but I wouldn't call them dirty (I know you didn't either, not sure if that's what you were thinking though).

I think he jumps into a lot of hits and that's what makes them questionable, but he generally hits with his shoulder and not usually with elbows. Hitting with your shoulder can be dirty too, I'm just not sure I would classify his hits that way.

To add on to this, on the majority of his hits this postseason he feet haven't left the ice until after contact is made. When you rock someone as hard as Kronwall is frequently doing right now, you never really know how your going to come off of the hit, even if you're the one delivering it.

This is what is wrong with today's NHL, no one has to answer to him. No one is going to fight the guy.

What is wrong with the NHL is lack of respect amongst players for each other, this is one of the major contributing factors!!!!

Players like Avery do what they do, with no fear of retribution because if someone does, they will be in the box for 17 mins after the instigator penalty.

IF the instigator rule is around in the 80's Probie is just another skater, he couldn't step up and defend his players the way he did, he would have played and average of 5 minutes ATOI a game and averaged nearly 20 PIMS a game!

To add on to this, on the majority of his hits this postseason he feet haven't left the ice until after contact is made.
I think this is where I classify them as questionable as I am not so sure his feet are leaving the ice AFTER contact a lot of the time.