• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

aflac9262

SCF Game 1 GDT: Red Wings 4, Penguins 0

Rate this topic

very impressive performance guys..shutting out a team with that much firepower is no small feat...just one question:

When did Marty Brodeur become a Red Wing? :D

because some of the saves Osgood made were reminiscient of Brodeur!! just an amazing performance.

Even after all the close calls, the Wings kept their composure, didn't panic (the achilles heel of my team) and methodically went about their business...game two should be a good one!!!

I saw the video. Sid didn't whine at all. He said nothing wrong.

The fact is, he could speak German in a presser and people would be annoyed by the sound of what he was saying and call him a whiner. He's Sid and people hate him. Can't do anything about it, but he's an okay guy.

Time for Red Wing fans to break out their snorkels and masks because based on this interview, it sounds like Cindy is going to start diving big time. If he and Malkin can't carry it in, they'll start flopping like flounder.

The fans at Madison Square Garden embarrassed Cindy and the league by exposing Crosby's diving. Bettman and Campbell hate the Rangers and their fans so we did everything possible to expose Crosby. In the series against Philadelphia, the diving stopped because the headlights were turned up on Cindy.

If a Ranger had checked Crosby the way he got leveled last night, that Ranger would have gotten a game misconduct.

The key to beating the Penguins is to hammer the crap out of Cindy, Jeannie amd Marian (their girls). Crosby, Malkin and Hossa are as soft as a baby's bottom. Laraque, Gill, Scuderi and Orpik can't initmidate your guys. They are out of their depth. Watch for the cheap shots to come against your skill players as the frustration of the Penguins rachets up.

The Red Wings shouldn't take their feet off the Penguin's necks.

Its seems that the NHL will do anything to have the Pens win with cheap and dirty calls against Homer.

It doesent matter because it feeds THe wings anger and play.

I smell sweep!!! W00t!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nice call!

Wait, no...

9a543ea6f416c17ca430a7ffcd95789a-ge.jpg

Open your eyes Fleury. Its ok, lol.

It turns out o'halloran didnt have the perfect angle like the NHL replay officer guy said because fleury's big wonkin stick is in the way because o'halloran is back in that corner, what bs

I saw the video. Sid didn't whine at all. He said nothing wrong.

The fact is, he could speak German in a presser and people would be annoyed by the sound of what he was saying and call him a whiner. He's Sid and people hate him. Can't do anything about it, but he's an okay guy.

I've always liked Crosby (I've defended him in multiple threads where people bash him for no reason), and I wouldn't say he was whiny, but I was even surprised about how often he kept mentioning how hopefully "they'd get the calls." Kind of like he was implying they didn't tonight.

Mr. Samuelsson,

I'm very pleased with you right now. Please continue to pressure when you do not have the puck. You won't always score a few lucky goals but you will force mistakes from your opponent.

Now, don't get me wrong. I will continue to swear in frustration at you during games when it's totally uncalled for, but I am more than happy to be shut up by your play again and again and again. So think of me with contempt and shut my whining ass up.

Yours begrudgingly,

The Dog.

:lol:

Can I sign that letter too??

1. Samuelsson played like a man possessed last night; he was all over the ice. Hitting, blocking shots, and scoring 2 unassisted goals as a result of hard work. That was one of the best games I have seen him play and more performances like that and there’s no way he’d still cop criticism

2. Best game Stuart has played as a Wing. Oh man he was awesome out there. Some huge hits, extremely good defensively and he gave Crosby a hard time all night. Got an assist on the Cleary goal and it was great reward for a sensational night. How good was that diving play late in the last period where he knocked the puck out of the zone? I could go on forever about how impressed I was with his game.

3. Filppula was awesome and created a scoring chance virtually every time he stepped out onto the ice. No kidding, we seemed to keep the puck in our attacking the zone every time the second line was out there. Flip was also very, very good defensively and even drew a penalty on Malkin. Top game and one of our better forwards.

4. How good is Datsyuk? Top 5 players in the NHL that’s for sure. Not only is he deadly offensively but he is now so good defensively. Absolutely amazing player, that’s all I need to say.

5. Boy Darren Helm is a good hockey player. How much does he give on every shift? For a man his size he dishes out some awesome hits and he always puts his body on the line. Kept the puck in the zone many times when it looked as though it would come out, that is due to his attitude and the intensity he plays with.

6. I touched on it earlier but the second line of Hudler-Filppula-Cleary was awesome and should stay in tact for the remainder of the series. I’m telling you, Huds and Flip have great chemistry and always work well together. With a bit of luck the second line could’ve had 2-3 goals and with Cleary getting on the board that line could produce some offence very shortly.

Whew! What a great game.

I have to admit that I was unsure how the Wings would match up with the Pens. I thought either team could make this a very short series.

I can breathe a little easier now. It looks like this will be a great series. I think Pittsburgh will come out with a lot more fire next game but the wings have shown that experience matters in times of adversity (Holmstrom non-goal). They didn't seem to let it affect the game plan. Good job.

Go Wings!!!!

Edited by MidMichSteve

what an absolutely perfect game from the Wings.

their defense....wow i dont think ive seen their D play that well before and Ozzie wasnt beat(bailed out by one post)

im still so pumped from last night.

three wins away...

A friend just reminded me -- anyone else remember when Doc referred to Gonchar as Hank's "fellow countryman"? :hehe:

Somewhere in the thread I referenced it but sadly no one took notice.

Anyways never gave my final thoughts on the game and can't say I could be much happier. My only concern is the officiated stealing yet another goal from us. I figured it was a once in a playoff sort of bad call in Dallas but it once again rears it's ugly head and actually manages to outdo the previous act of larceny (I watched it over and over again, Homer's stick didn't even touch Fluery during the attempted save.) Now I have no doubt that they'll shamelessly do it over and over again which could effectively nullify the best line in Hockey today. We dominated every major statistical category and really in hindsight this was as dominant a series start we've had this playoffs. We keep this up and I don't see how Pittsburgh can even win a game let alone a series, but I'm sure things will change considerably and the Pens will come out better next game.

We keep this up and I don't see how Pittsburgh can even win a game let alone a series, but I'm sure things will change considerably and the Pens will come out better next game.

Personally, I'm surprised the Pens are so adamant about playing a dump-and-chase game tomorrow. I thought they were extremely competitive in the first period primarily because they were playing their game, which, like the Wings' system, centers on puck-possession. (Those consecutive PPs didn't hurt, of course.) Bottom line -- they're not a pursuit team; playing that way won't play to their big strengths, aside from maybe their speed. The Wings have a ton of experience combating that style, and they might have Mule back tomorrow, so I wouldn't be surprised if we see another rout. :thumbup:

Time for Red Wing fans to break out their snorkels and masks because based on this interview, it sounds like Cindy is going to start diving big time. If he and Malkin can't carry it in, they'll start flopping like flounder.

The fans at Madison Square Garden embarrassed Cindy and the league by exposing Crosby's diving. Bettman and Campbell hate the Rangers and their fans so we did everything possible to expose Crosby. In the series against Philadelphia, the diving stopped because the headlights were turned up on Cindy.

If a Ranger had checked Crosby the way he got leveled last night, that Ranger would have gotten a game misconduct.

The key to beating the Penguins is to hammer the crap out of Cindy, Jeannie amd Marian (their girls). Crosby, Malkin and Hossa are as soft as a baby's bottom. Laraque, Gill, Scuderi and Orpik can't initmidate your guys. They are out of their depth. Watch for the cheap shots to come against your skill players as the frustration of the Penguins rachets up.

The Red Wings shouldn't take their feet off the Penguin's necks.

I still can't get over that call on Drury heading into OT in game 5. :ranting:

By the way, good luck to the Wings and their fans. Your team looks like an awesome machine out there. Here's to hoping they keep it up and embarrass this team that does not deserve their success so far.

Edited by TrueBlueblood

I'm not surprised they switched to the dump and chase. It just didn't work.

The first period was by far their best, but at least 50% of their passes were gobbled up by the red wing defense. Almost none of the longer passes got through at all. That starts to get in to your head quickly. "Ok, we can't make long passes". You didn't see them happening at all in the second and third.

The break down on their outlet passing resulted in the Pens going to much quicker shorter passes. By the time they were making the second pass, the Wings were closing in on them. A good bit of the time Detroit seemed to know where that second or third pass was going to be and would just sake in and close off the line to the puck. Not straight out interference, but more of just becoming pylons that the Pens had to skate around or over.

As soon as the Pens gave up on the longer passes, the Wings locked them down and took over the game.

If the Pens are able to solve the Detroit back checking and get a few of them break out passes off, the Wings will step back a little and give then Pens more room to play and we will be watching a totally different game. If Detroit is able to continously break up their plays, the Pens will quickly be discouraged and this series is over.

Ozzie was superhuman, while Fleury appeared to be just a mere mortal.

Defensively, Malkin is a liability. While I have no doubt he is normally a great offensive player, I think his defensive mistakes are starting to wear on him. He is aware he should be more responsible defensively and while trying to do that role is giving up a bit of his offensive initiative. In other words, he's thinking too much.

Crosby is already frustrated. He seems to be having a hard time realizing he was contained. Did he have a bad night or did the wings give him a bad night? I think he was flat our shut down. Because his team and the league have put him out as the "face of hockey", when he gets shutdown, his team lets it get to them more than they should. Instead of the rest of the team stepping up, they seemed to have gone in to a depression on the ice. I doubt we can expect this to happen in the next game.

If Detroit wins game 3 or 4 in pittsburgh, this series never sees game 6. They are already leaning heavily on the "we don't lose at home" crutch. If that were to get kicked out from under them, I would put the whole Pens team, except Kennedy, on suicide watch. Kennedy was the bright spot for the penguins in an otherwise lackluster outing.

The real question on every hockey fans mind right now is, "Are the Wings really that good or did the Pens really have a bad bad night?" Maybe a little of both. While the pens may be able step up their play, and I expect they will, if they can, as good as the Wings looked, the Wings can and have played better. Too many pucks ended up lost in their skates without an opposing player anywhere around them.

It's only 1 game, but the writing is on the wall.

wow 4 to 0.... to bad i could not watch it... Oh well it really got my uncle POed since he his rooting for the pens since are duckies arent playing anymore so i just called him and left a message of me laughing... good times :thumbup:

Crosby is already frustrated. He seems to be having a hard time realizing he was contained. Did he have a bad night or did the wings give him a bad night? I think he was flat our shut down. Because his team and the league have put him out as the "face of hockey", when he gets shutdown, his team lets it get to them more than they should. Instead of the rest of the team stepping up, they seemed to have gone in to a depression on the ice. I doubt we can expect this to happen in the next game.

I agree completely, especially with the bolded part. I just watched Crosby's press conferences from last night and today. During both, he insisted that he wouldn't change a thing about how he played. Now, I'm not expecting the kid to come out and say something like, "I sucked. I was horrible. They 100% shut me down. Strip me of my MVP immediately." But... saying things like, "I don't think they did a whole lot to shut us down." Really? Your team's 7 SOGs in the last two periods? Your own -1? Malkin's lone SOG? The shut out?

You know what, Sid? Keep right on thinking that you needn't change a thing about your game. That would be splendid.

One play that caught my eye...I don't know who else noticed it. Four guys are in the corner mucking for the puck towards the end of the game. Here comes Pasha, skating up. He looks at the situation, watching like a hawk, then picks the moment, swoops in and knocks the puck back to a teammate and away down the ice they go. It just caught my attention the way he did it...it was kind of like a vulture stalking the prey.

A friend just reminded me -- anyone else remember when Doc referred to Gonchar as Hank's "fellow countryman"? :hehe:

Hahahaha... I heard that. I'm like "wait a minute there; Henrik and Sergei? fellow country? eh?"