• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Tiribulus

Any chance of finals backroom shenanigans?

Rate this topic

If any of you guys knew me you would know that I'm the last person to ever think something like this could happen, but that little voice is telling me with all the Crosby hype the NHL at least thinks it has an interest in Pittsburgh winning this series.

My question is, does anyone believe there is any chance that the oficials have been hinted to in this regard? I'm not even saying I believe it, however the media is covering this like the Sidney Cup Finals and oh what a commercial letdown it would be if the "face of the NHL" were to be defeated by a team that's viewed as reperesenting the old down days and has worn out it's welcome.

The white dog says "come on man they couldn't get away with this even if they wanted to" and the black dog is saying "as desperate as they are and with all those eggs in that basket... could be"

A basket I might add that will do nothing for long term ratings anyway, but that's what they think.

I sure hope not. I can see where you are coming from but the game is played on the ice. I don't think the game could go as far as having Pittsburgh winning solely through officiating without it being blatantly obvious. Bettman can't stop Detroit from putting the puck in the net from his suite. Unless he has a sniper rifle loaded with tranquilizers aimed at Dats and Zetts....

Edit: also... The NHL is lucky enough to have a Stanley Cup Final of this sort with two powerhouse teams, so the ratings should recieve a nice boost.. I'm sure he knows that poster boy Crosby has many more years ahead of him to win the Cup.

Edited by heals_3000

Isnt this one of the same guys involved with the NBA when Michael Jordan could run from halfcourt without dribbling and not get traveling, and later on officials came out and said they were asked to "help" with the games outcome?

Oh absolutely! The discussions took place near the grassy knoll....

I was thinking more like Area 87.

I'm not saying they've been told to "make sure the Penguins win", like the other guy said that couldn't happen without even casual observers seeing it. However in a close series a little overprotection of Fleury (and Crosby), being not quite as observant when the time's right and a little over observant the other way could influence the outcome.

Don't forget Dallas's cup winning goal in 99 came on what was at the time a flat out horrendous call. I dunno. I've just never seen a such lopsided coverage. It's one thing to believe that one team really is favored that much. It's quite another to cheer for them before the series even starts.

Edited by Tiribulus

Isnt this one of the same guys involved with the NBA when Michael Jordan could run from halfcourt without dribbling and not get traveling, and later on officials came out and said they were asked to "help" with the games outcome?

What guy?

I don't wanna jinx anything, but this thread is warranted.

::::::sprinkles No-Jinx-Powder all over thread ::::::::

If I see the officials let that boy dive and draw 2 mins,

If I see #55 flip him on a clean hit and get 2 mins,

If I see da kid get a wrong goal "allowed",

If I see a no-call on running Ozzy,

If I see an offside play let go,

You get the point. The NHL is on my personal watch list too.

I honestly don't know much about Bettman. I do however, have friends who have been fans of the NBA for a very long time. Last week I happened to mention Bettman, and my buddy turns around and asks me if I'm talking about Gary Bettman. I said yes, and he told me a story about how he used to be involved with the NBA, and he & the refs rigged some games. He got fired because of this, and moved onto the NHL.

I've been searching google to see if this is true, but I haven't found anything. It's just weird how now I come on here, and I read what you just said. It's pretty similar to what I was told, now if these stories are true, I don't know, but I wouldn't be surprised if they were.

He didnt get fired, he moved to the NHL to make it a "Top" league in America.

He ran the NBA from the early 80's till 1993.

And yes the refs came out and said they had been asked to "help" certain teams.

A book came out a few years ago.

For the fact that the last three games against Dallas where horribly called by the refs (Gee let see make the Wings work harder against Dallas so they will have to face a rested team in the East named the Penguins) I fully expect some very bad officiating in this series. The Wings PK pulled them through last series and they are gonna have to do the same thing this series.

this would never happen, there's no way an NBA ref would call games a certain way because he has a vested interest in the outcome. Oh wait, that already did happen.

opps....

there's no doubt in my mind the NHL would prefer the Pens to win this series. From a purley marketing and sales standpoint, having appointed Sid the Kid as the 'face of the NHL' I'll admit I'm a little nervous.

part of my nervousness comes from the way the WCF were reffed last year, all of a sudden it was clutch and grab hockey all over again which did benefit the other team. And before you call BS, remember that the Red Wings upper management informed the Senators before the Finals started how the games were being called and warned them, and you know, I've got more faith in the Red Wings brass than what any of us know.

If any of you guys knew me you would know that I'm the last person to ever think something like this could happen, but that little voice is telling me with all the Crosby hype the NHL at least thinks it has an interest in Pittsburgh winning this series.

My question is, does anyone believe there is any chance that the oficials have been hinted to in this regard? I'm not even saying I believe it, however the media is covering this like the Sidney Cup Finals and oh what a commercial letdown it would be if the "face of the NHL" were to be defeated by a team that's viewed as reperesenting the old down days and has worn out it's welcome.

The white dog says "come on man they couldn't get away with this even if they wanted to" and the black dog is saying "as desperate as they are and with all those eggs in that basket... could be"

A basket I might add that will do nothing for long term ratings anyway, but that's what they think.

I don't know that they will skew the outcome of the series, but I would almost guarantee they will not allow this to be a sweep. Look at the power plays Dallas got in Game 5. I didn't get to see game 5 of the Pittsburgh / Philly series, but after I saw what the officiating was like in game 5 of the Wings and Dallas, I almost bet my house on the fact Philly would win game 5 against Pittsburgh. I would be very surprised if this series doesn't go 7 games or if it doesn't the team losing the series in game 6 will have tons of power plays and chances to come back.

The thing that we unfortunately have to face is that this is the "entertainment" business. I really hope that hockey isn't just like that stripper you've fallen in love with that takes your business card and promises to call...but only takes your money.

Edited by high_stick69

There is ALWAYS shenanigans in the Finals. Ask any losing team's fans, or team that won and maybe lost a game or two.

Calls sometimes decide games, and I do expect it to happen in favor of the Pens. My fiancee is new to the "new NHL" and the refs treatment of the Canadian stars with favorable calls. I had to calm her down a few times during the Preds and Stars series when the Wings were being paraded to the box on questionable calls on the Swedes. I explained to her that the team in the lead on the scoreboard and in the series will get more calls against them because the refs want to give the behind team a chance to win. She called it "unfair" and I called it "the new NHL and zero parity."

But, like Reilly said, if we have the puck we get the PPs.

GO WINGS GO!!!

*shakes head*

You guys arent THAT nervous...are you?

I think it has less to do with being nervous and more to do with the plain and simple fact:

Bettman CANNOT be trusted.

And no one would be surprised if he did something like this. And we all know he's not unbiased... <_<

*shakes head*

You guys arent THAT nervous...are you?

NNNNo, nnnnnnot nnnnnervous at aaaaaaall.

<clenches teeth to calm down>

I don't think we'd see any of this until later in the series, if it happens at all. I think the Wings are the superior team, but that's no slight against the Pens. Kind of like pointing out that the Pacific is bigger than the Atlantic when comparing all 30 bodies of water. If this happens, and that's a big if, it will be deciding games later in the series.

It's not a knock on our team, thinking they can't win; it's distrust of Bettman, the evil anti-octopus matter leprechaun.

<unclenches teeth to sing "happy birthday to you">