• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Marty Midnight

Good Start Wings

Rate this topic

I was scared coming into this series. Still am. But, the Wings won this thing in more than a convincing manner, and I'm really surprised that Crosby and Malkin didn't show more composure after being nearly given the first period on a plate by the refs. Either way, the Wings proved that they can lose their number one goal scorer, be on the refs bad side for near an entire period, and still slaughter the best team (besides themselves) in the NHL.

Good win boys,

Word,

Ldi03

Good win now its done lets move on. All Pittsburgh has to do is win game 2 and the series is back in their favour,so lets play a strong second game and head to the steel city.

How exactly does winning game two suddenly swing the series in their favor..and back in their favor?

LOL

How exactly does winning game two suddenly swing the series in their favor..and back in their favor?

LOL

Well, if they split the first two games they get home-ice advantage. How they'd swing the series BACK into their favour I'm not sure.

We were at home, it's different. You can battle back when you can feed off the crowd. And going down 3-0 in game one of the Rangers series, is pretty ugly.

The Rangers do not have the defense of Detroit. I wouldn't put any money on winning games where Detroit is ahead by three goals. In order to win the Penguins will have to start scoring first, especially if Franzen comes back strong.

He was scoring three times a game all by himself against colorado. 9 goals in 4 games, even breaking Gordie Howes record for goals in a series.

Edited by truebladearmy

it was a great game by the wings. but it is only 1 win and they need to do it again tomorrow. the pens showed in the 1st period just how dangerous they can be - they just did not manage to finish the plays on this occasion.

it was a great game by the wings. but it is only 1 win and they need to do it again tomorrow. the pens showed in the 1st period just how dangerous they can be - they just did not manage to finish the plays on this occasion.

Pens had 4 consecutive powerplays..that helped them get some momentum. But it should have been 1:0 Wings after the first.

0:0 thanks to the refs :rolleyes:

Pens had whopping 7 shots in remaining 40 minutes..we had 25.

Pens had 4 consecutive powerplays..that helped them get some momentum. But it should have been 1:0 Wings after the first.

0:0 thanks to the refs :rolleyes:

Pens had whopping 7 shots in remaining 40 minutes..we had 25.

if the wings carry on playing the way they did in the final 40 minutes then it is going to be a very short series. but the pens are still a dangerous team and if the wings' play drops then they have the ability to take advantage. and there is nothing that says the refs can't screw the wings again

but the pens are still a dangerous team and if the wings' play drops then they have the ability to take advantage. and there is nothing that says the refs can't screw the wings again

Absolutely. I just tried to point out that Pens looked good in first period because they played 4 consecutive powerplays.

Well, that game was just what the wings fans here have been trying to tell Pens fans for the last week - we play a suffocating, smothering, all-5-skaters defence. Despite the best efforts of the Refs in the 1st, Pittsburgh had a rude awakening.

Now, of course the Pens can come out big in Game 2, but I've said it before - this Wings team is as machine-like and efficient as the 02 team.

I'm a little suprised at how cocky some wings fans are being. Two important facts to keep in mind:

1. Pittsburg will play better in game 2 (which may be offset by the return of Franzen)

2. The Wings historically let up when they get a lead in a series. If they do that in this series and let the young Pens get some confidence....................

Before the series began I thought Pens fans were some of the cockiest, most arrogant, disrespectful fans I've seen on this site since the Calgary series a few years back. However, this thread doesn't seem to have that same tone.

If they're able to play this way through the entire series, then I'll admit I was wrong.

And this is one of the things that concerns me the most, they usually seem to let up for a game or two. They could have closed out Dallas at home and came out and laid an egg. Same with the Nashville series. I hope they don't let up at all and give the pens some confidence.

Other concerns:

1. Franzen's health. He needs to play.

2. Bettman. It's only a matter of time before the officiating becomes even more ridiculous. Maybe Homer will get a penalty for goalie interference when he crosses the blue line.

3. Crosby's line will probably not be matched up against Dats and Z on the road. Luckily, if Franzen comes back, the other lines are great defensively also.

Edited by therock48880

You don't win game 2 playing anything like the Pens played in game 1. Game two might also have Franzen and Chelios in it....so the series is just going to get even more physical.

I was really expecting more from the Pens. For the first 10 minutes in my mind was running the thought, "They're so damn fast". But they lost that speed very quickly when Detroit figured out that Malkin and Crosby really aren't that effective if you take the transition game from them. The whole night I'd watch Crosby try to carry in and slip a pass to the center, five seconds later Detroit had it back at the other end. Detroit is possibly the best team in the league at picking up loose pucks at the net.

Pens will have to be more physical. Detroit is just going to get bigger when Franzen returns, and if we put Chelios in especially. As it were Detroit nearly doubled the Pens hits. Even datsyuk had 6 hits, and most of them were on Crosby or Malkin.

Pens will need shots. They won't be able to carry it in and work fancy plays in front of the net like they did in Philly. Detroit has two of the best defensemen in the league, and two nominations for best defensive forward. Then guys like draper, who has been nominated

for it before. And Helm isn't doing too bad either. Kronwall is also no joke :)

Pens made a huge mistake early off, and never really recovered from it, or fixed it. That is in an attempt to pressure Detroit's forwards down low at the net they left the lane from the point open over and over again. Detroit has incredible defensive scoring, and will often let a forward come in late to the play to take the puck down that lane. If Pens don't play the lane from the point more aggressively, shots will keep flying in from the outside, rebounds will keep happening, and Fluery is going to be a very busy man.

Don't get me wrong. I have always been a Penguins fan. I was praying for a Detroit/Pittsburgh final. A few years ago I played a season of NHL on Playstation and my friend chose Detroit, and I used Pittsburgh. We took it to game 7 before he won the finals in OT. I'm still bitter about that lol. I'm not trying to talk crap or anything, but the Pens did WAY worse than I thought they were going to, and Detroit played the best game I've seen so far this year.

I sincerely doubt Pens will get shut out Monday night. But I honestly think they're going to have to play their best game of the post-season in order to pull a win out of it.

Good Post. I agree, I don't think The Pens can win without a much better offensive output . When you are held to single digits in shots for 2 periods, it usually reflects poorly on the score board.

I have been a Wings fan my entire life , and have every confidence in this team this year. Not just against the Pens but any opponent.

The key was Defense, and Pitts inability to play in their own end. The Wings had them on their heels for 2 thirds of the game. No lucky breaks or good bounces for your team either.

I also think that if Detroit wins handily in game 2, The series is as well as done..........

Thanks for your honesty and your obvious genuine love for the game , regardless of your loyalties.

Good Luck Monday !

I'm certainly biased.....but I think you are going to need it !!

I'm a little suprised at how cocky some wings fans are being. Two important facts to keep in mind:

Before the series began I thought Pens fans were some of the cockiest, most arrogant, disrespectful fans I've seen on this site since the Calgary series a few years back. However, this thread doesn't seem to have that same tone.

I was at first in the Colorado series to see so many doom-and-gloomers just make a 180 degree turn on the pendulum to WINGS ROOL AND ARE INDESTRUCTABLE!

Plenty of people have turned cocky and arrogant.

Never celebrate too early like we've won everything then you sound stupid in the end. It almost bit the Wings in the rear in the Dallas series after plenty of people were already yelling SWEEEEEEEEEEEP before it happened.

1. First, they tried being overly physical (Nashville)

2. Next, they tried throwing high powered offense at us (Colorado)

3. They even tried physical + high powered offense + speed + solid defense (Dallas)

The common denominator in all 4 series so far is that nobody can figure out how to keep the puck away from Detroit. You saw it in games 4 and 5 against Dallas. Dallas controlled more play than the Wings (I think because the wings just had bad games honestly) and they beat Detroit.

It may sound cocky of me to say this (and I'm really not trying to), but until I see a team manhandle Detroit, I'm not going to believe anyone in the league is on the same level as Detroit is right now. THe wings have been doing this all year long and nobody has solved them. I do believe that the Wings really control their destiny. If they decide to play like last night, there isn't anything anybody can do about it. Pitt's game isn't good enough to beat Detroit's game this year. Simple as that. In fact, nobody's is.

my biased observation...

the Pens have a no-hit defense. our smallish forwards have no problem getting in behind them. The Penguins forecheck hasn't been terribly impressive in Game 1. Our veteran D has free reign over neutral ice, looking to make their transition passes.

Having said all that, the Pens definitely have impressive speed on O. they need to capitalize on their chances early. a 5-on-3 or two and they are right back in this thing. The Wings definitely have to play disciplined early, especially in the igloo.

3. They even tried physical + high powered offense + speed + solid defense (Dallas)

The common denominator in all 4 series so far is that nobody can figure out how to keep the puck away from Detroit. You saw it in games 4 and 5 against Dallas. Dallas controlled more play than the Wings (I think because the wings just had bad games honestly) and they beat Detroit.

It may sound cocky of me to say this (and I'm really not trying to), but until I see a team manhandle Detroit, I'm not going to believe anyone in the league is on the same level as Detroit is right now. THe wings have been doing this all year long and nobody has solved them. I do believe that the Wings really control their destiny. If they decide to play like last night, there isn't anything anybody can do about it. Pitt's game isn't good enough to beat Detroit's game this year. Simple as that. In fact, nobody's is.

:clap: Hear! Hear!

To be fair there were some pretty cocky Pen fans here before game one.

I think a few will go away after seeing the high powered Pen offense run into real TEAM defense.

Pittsburg did have their chances though and eventually they will start making it to the back of the net. It will be interesting to see how Detroit responds if they get behind in a game.

The big question is how does MAF respond to letting in 5 goals. I know the scoreboard said 4 but any hockey fan knows the Homers stick sitting under Fleurys pad did not lead to the puck going over his shoulder. If he doesn't get rattled then I think we will still have a hell of a series ahead of us. If his confidence is shaken the Pens are in trouble!

Can't wait till Monday.

GO WINGS!

I think the confidence of the entire team is shaken including the coach. Watch the after game reaction from Therien. He's a little shell shocked. They had a total of 7 shots the last 2 periods.

They were counting on:

1. Shutting down our top line. Z had a goal and 8 shots. Dats had 5 shots.

2. Being able to get scoring from their big guns. Crosby had only 3 SOG, Hossa 4, Malkin had 1

3. Shutting down our secondary scoring. Sammy had 2 goals and Cleary had 1.

4. Fleury outpalying Ozzie. Fleury gave up 4 goals (5 really) and at least 2 were softies. Ozzie had a shutout

5. Big power play goals. They were 0-5 with a shortie to boot.

A young team whose confidence is shaken doesn't bode well for the Pens.

And to make things worse, there is a chance we will get Fanzen back for game 2. Yes, the Pens are in trouble. I think they realize that they aren't playing the Flyers.

LOL

Perhaps the word "back" was incorrect, I guess I was thinking about all the people picking the Pens,but ANY knowledgeabloe hockey fans know that if you split the first 2 on the road you get home ice advantage.

Edited by UP2HERE

To this day the team that scares me most is the Blackhacks.

Somehow they have us figured out.