• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Chaldean

Conn Smythe Trophy Discussion

Rate this topic

Your Conn Smythe Trophy goes to:  

222 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I would love for Ozzie to get it. As I said in my comments following the game, since Game 5 of the series against Nashville, he's been godly. There's a lot of other worthy candidates on the team, but in the end.....I would love for him to get it.

Zetterberg.

He's 3 points shy of holding the Wings' single-season playoff scoring record. He already holds a share of the single-season playoff goal-scoring record.

Oz has been amazing and absolutely everything we could have hoped for and more, but he's not been as dominant as Z. Hank on the PK has been godly. Z has 5 shorthanded points. Only 2 powerplay goals have been scored while he's on the ice. That's epic.

Zetterberg.

He's 3 points shy of holding the Wings' single-season playoff scoring record. He already holds a share of the single-season playoff goal-scoring record.

Oz has been amazing and absolutely everything we could have hoped for and more, but he's not been as dominant as Z. Hank on the PK has been godly. Z has 5 shorthanded points. Only 2 powerplay goals have been scored while he's on the ice. That's epic.

Wow. That is amazing and I honestly think he will do it. He's my pick for MVP right now, but Ozzie and Datsyuk are close.

I do find it kind of odd how everyone says we have the best defense in the league, yet say Ozzie is one of, if not the front runner for the Conn Smythe (including myself). Wouldn't that imply the defense is not doing as great a job as we brag about?

By the way, I am LOVING Kronwall! He has been awesome.

Edited by zettsyukwall415

Give the stupid thing to Ozzie, if not for his performance (deserving), then as a formal apology for ignoring his near- elite status throughout his career.

I is prepared to catch all sorts of s*** for that edit, but he's one of the most winningest goalies of all time... and even managed to go greater than .500 on the god awful Islanders and Blues.. and put up .910+ save % in all but one season there, which isn't bad at all. Also, doesn't he have one of the highest win %s of all goalies ever? Granted, he's had some good Wings teams in front of him but I urge you to remember he's a PART of those teams.

He's doesn't have the best reflexes of all goalies, nor the best glove, nor the most amazing athletic abilities (or the biggest pads, cawfgiggycawf), but he's very handy with his stick (one of the best goalies in the league at such imo), has a very strong pokecheck and ability to clear the puck, and is very, very consistent, especially after he's rebuilt his style.

He also has solid positioning and, I'm going to say, is possibly the best goaltender in the NHL at working with his teammates, at the current time. He may not play the puck as well as a handful of others (like Turco), but he has amazing fluidity with the other Wings, and I think this is often overlooked. I've seen plays where he's made a clutch save or two, the puck is out in front somewhere, and he gets up and plays not for the puck, but plays an angle on a possible future threat should the other team get the puck.. even though he's leaving the part of the net where the current possible threat and scrabble in front is going on uncovered. Given the consistency in which he does this (and how often it comes out in the Wings favor), I'm convinced that he does this not in error, but because he has a very high amount of confidence in the defensemen on his team (and rightfully so). They also seem to have a very high confidence level in him, leaving him to play the angles and stuffing pucks into his pads when needed, letting him do his job while they go to block shots or cover their zone.

The parity that this Wings team and Osgood have is hard to notice at first glance, but phenomenal and very rare. I think this more than anything else is why Osgood has been so clutch since being put in, and that's not besides his ability.. rather, that's part of his ability, and in my opinion it's a very valuable talent. This is only further complimented by his excellent personality and attitude.

Damn, wouldntcha know the guy has good looks, too?

Zetterberg is frontrunner. He is simply sensational.

Ozzie, Pavel, Saint Nick and Kronner have a chance too.

I don't see Kronner being a candidate just because it usually takes incredibly exceptional defensive play to be considered. Zetterberg is mostly overshadowing everybody right now, and Osgood has been outstanding, so I expect it to be one of them two.

All in all we've had such a productive post season team, that it's near impossible to pick just one guy. Imagine if Franzen had stayed healthy and kept scoring like he was? The dude could have 20 goals by now.

Okay, now that I've blown Ozzie a bit and pointed out why I think he's so @($*@(# awesome, Conn Smythe.

That's a hard one, right now it's definitely either Ozzie or Z. I'm loathe to choose.. they've both been awesome, anyone that doesn't think Ozzie's been awesome is kidding themselves. Anyone that thinks Z hasn't been awesome is on some seriously bad drugs. I'd also love to see either of them win it. I have to say I'd REALLY like to see Ozzie get it though, he only has so many chances left for something like this, and on top of that goaltenders rarely get any love with this trophy. I think if he were to get it, it would finally shut some of his critics up.

On the other hand, couldn't it be argued that Z and Pasha could and should be awarded every applicable trophy in existence as a singular entity? :rolleyes:

I don't see Kronner being a candidate just because it usually takes incredibly exceptional defensive play to be considered. Zetterberg is mostly overshadowing everybody right now, and Osgood has been outstanding, so I expect it to be one of them two.

Well, Kronwall leads all defensemen in scoring and his defensive/physical play is great too. but yeah, I don't see him winning Conn Smythe over Zata. He still has a chance though.

All in all we've had such a productive post season team, that it's near impossible to pick just one guy. Imagine if Franzen had stayed healthy and kept scoring like he was? The dude could have 20 goals by now.

I agree. But Henrik Zetterberg is probably the most noticable player and is a frontrunner for Conn Smythe in my opinion.

Kronwall is very worthy of consideration and I fear he's being overlooked too much. He leads our defensemen in points and his timely and strong hits have added a crucial edge of physicality to our games. Watching the guy is reminding me more and more of Vladdy every time I see him.. now all he needs to do is learn that beastly hip check and go hunt down Le Pew.

Edit: That said, I think Z is more likely to win it than him. Nevermind the fact that forwards usually get more love when it comes to such awards, Z is possibly the only player that's been playing a more complete, solid, and important game than Kronwall. And given how impressive Kronner's play has been (mark my words, he's our future #1 D-Man), that's really saying something.

Edited by The Wheeled Winger

Zetterberg.

I was not aware of that.

Right now Z & Ozzie are pulling ahead of my early favourite Datsyuk. If Ozzie keeps making these big saves he has to win it - the wings don't give up many chances, but the ones they do are normally big ones. Ozzie is stopping them all right now :)

11-2, 2 shutouts, 1.48, .935. I think the front-runner has to be Ozzie, the way he's played and especially the way the playoff run changed when Ozzie entered the game. Zetterberg a very close second and Franzen poised to jump back in the race if he continues his scoring pace.

Sentimentally, I'd like to see it be Osgood, so I'm biased somewhat. As previous posters have said, partially in recognition for an outstanding career. That's not why they give out the Conn Smythe, of course. But he's not undeserving, either.

11-2, 2 shutouts, 1.48, .935. I think the front-runner has to be Ozzie, the way he's played and especially the way the playoff run changed when Ozzie entered the game. Zetterberg a very close second and Franzen poised to jump back in the race if he continues his scoring pace.

Sentimentally, I'd like to see it be Osgood, so I'm biased somewhat. As previous posters have said, partially in recognition for an outstanding career. That's not why they give out the Conn Smythe, of course. But he's not undeserving, either.

If Osgood keeps his numbers where they are, and DOESN'T win it, it's a joke.

I can further back this up:

Only one Conn Smythe winning goaltender has ever posted numbers anywhere close to what Osgood is doing. That was Giguere in 2003. And Ozzie has better numbers all-around. If Ozzie keeps his numbers close to where they are right now, he wins it. The only chance of someone taking it away was Franzen and his goals...and Johan just missed six huge games, four of which the Wings won.

Edited by eva unit zero

If Osgood keeps his numbers where they are, and DOESN'T win it, it's a joke.

I can further back this up:

Only one Conn Smythe winning goaltender has ever posted numbers anywhere close to what Osgood is doing. That was Giguere in 2003. And Ozzie has better numbers all-around. If Ozzie keeps his numbers close to where they are right now, he wins it. The only chance of someone taking it away was Franzen and his goals...and Johan just missed six huge games, four of which the Wings won.

Definitely not.

Zetterberg has 12 goals and 10 assists and is +15.

Conn Smythe would be well deserved.