• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Chaldean

Conn Smythe Trophy Discussion

Rate this topic

Your Conn Smythe Trophy goes to:  

222 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Definitely not.

Zetterberg has 12 goals and 10 assists and is +15.

Conn Smythe would be well deserved.

Many players have put up numbers like Zetterberg's on a Cup winner and not won the Smythe. I can't think of a time a Cup-winning goaltender put up numbers like Ozzie's and didn't win.

Many players have put up numbers like Zetterberg's on a Cup winner and not won the Smythe. I can't think of a time a Cup-winning goaltender put up numbers like Ozzie's and didn't win.

Well, I bet Ozzie won't win Conn Smythe because voters will buy into myth that he only has great numbers because of team in front of him. I mean Ozzie put Vezina calibre numbers this year..he is underrated his whole career, I don't think that will ever change.

That said, I would give Conn Smythe to Henrik Zetterberg because of his complete game and great numbers.

You wrote "If Osgood keeps his numbers where they are, and DOESN'T win it, it's a joke." that is wrong.

But whatever, as long as a Red Wing player wins Conn Smythe, I don't really care who.

I heard a couple of the Wings players refer to Osgood as the team's best player a few times in the Dallas series. It was in reference to the slash he took at the end of game two. Hearing players say that is good enough for me. Isn't it great to have multiple players that have legitimate reasons why they should win the most important individual award in the NHL. God I love this team!!

Well, it's:

Zetterberg

Datsyuk

Ozzie

Lidstrom

Why Lidstrom? Detroit's stifling defense and transition game is the reason the Wings have gotten this far. He hasn't been as flashy as the others, but can anyone argue that if we hadn't managed to play calm, shut-down defense and set up great transitions we'd still be here?

Lidstrom is our rock, and he would probably get my vote at this time, though it would be easy to pick the other three.

You wrote "If Osgood keeps his numbers where they are, and DOESN'T win it, it's a joke." that is wrong.

Find me an example of another goaltender with numbers like Ozzie's making it to the Cup Finals and not winning the Conn Smythe since the inception of the trophy.

Has it even happened?

If Detroit can sweep the Pens or win 4-1 and Ozzie can maintain the same GAA and SV% numbers, I think he has a really good shot at the Conn Smythe.

Ditto..... :thumbup: ..look at the year he has put together... yes, look at the d, but they aren't in front of the net... you still need a goalie....Ozzy has been stellar!

Find me an example of another goaltender with numbers like Ozzie's making it to the Cup Finals and not winning the Conn Smythe since the inception of the trophy.

Has it even happened?

Geez all I am saying is that if Ozzie and Hank both keep playing like they have been until now and Zetterberg wins it, it would be no joke.

sorry to spoil the Oz party here, but as great as he's been playing there's just

no way in hell league acknowledges him with Conn Smythe trophy. what Bettman's

people are (rightfully) trying to do is promote young stars and draw new people to

the game.

it's either Zetterberg or Crosby. period. if Pens lose badly it's gonna be Hank but

otherwise you sure like hell bet Sindy will be given this hardware. just look at

what NHL does with game stars. Crosby may suck like hell but it suffices for him

to fart and he immediately gets 1st star or at most 2nd.

Oz definitely deserves consideration (although I personally don't see him winning

it ahead of Hank or Nick - only to name Wings players) but it simply won't happen.

Bettman wants to capitalize on Wings-Pens grand finale and bring NHL to broader

audience. he's hell right but for us die-hard fans it definitely does mean no non

top-tier player gets the hardware. of all candidates Crosby is best selling idea

(Canadian, young, skilled, etc.) and the league will do everything to bring spotlight

on him. and it may definitely go beyond ridicule (see: game stars example).

and honestly, I agree with Bettman here for once. if this league is supposed to

crack US top-3 market (like it was in 80s) they better sell it correctly to North

American audience. they have perfect opportunity here and I want it to happen.

not at the expense of my Wings, though.

sorry to spoil the Oz party here, but as great as he's been playing there's just

no way in hell league acknowledges him with Conn Smythe trophy. what Bettman's

people are (rightfully) trying to do is promote young stars and draw new people to

the game.

Stop right there. "Bettman's people" don't award the trophy. The only thing Bettman does is the actual presentation. The writers vote for the winner. I don't know whether that helps or hurts Ozzie's candidacy, but I do know that Bettman, the marketing guys, and the league in general have no say. And that is a good thing.

Stop right there. "Bettman's people" don't award the trophy. The only thing Bettman does is the actual presentation. The writers vote for the winner. I don't know whether that helps or hurts Ozzie's candidacy, but I do know that Bettman, the marketing guys, and the league in general have no say. And that is a good thing.

that is indeed a great news for Oz.

I still don't see him being first in the row but knowing that

NHL marketing geniuses don't have a say here is relieving.

I was basically prepared to see Sindy walking away with

Conn Smythe even if Pens didn't make it to the finals

but it definitely looks fairer to me now.

thanks for clarifying this!

Crosby will win the Conn Smythe no matter which team wins the Cup.

Come to think of it, if we win the Cup, Bettman will still probably ask Crosby to come out and take a picture with him and the Stanley Cup before he invites Lidstrom to come get it.

The team isn't where they are today if Osgood never replaces Hasek. No doubt it should go to Osgood.

Hank's performance has been stellar so far. But it's pretty special for a goalie to be putting up the numbers Osgood is, and it's not because of the team. Being a goalie is an enormous amount of pressure. Being a goalie for the Detroit Red Wings and the fans of the team puts even more on the goalie.

As long as it's a Wing I won't be too upset!

My votes in order though would be:

- Zetterberg - Unless he stops scoring, if he breaks point records I don't see how he's not the pick

- Ozzie - Over Ozzie fractions of a percent behind Zetts

- Rafalski

- Lidstrom

Wild cards

Franzen - I know he's been out, but still, 12 goals? And if he comes back and starts piling them on again, you gotta consider it

Homer - What a nice message that would be to send to the fricking refs. Obviously he's getting to people, which is his job. Though I have a hard time taking it particularly from Zetterberg or Ozzie for that.

Do not, under any circumstances, put Pasha by the wayside...

How about HASEK for NOT being a CANCER in the room... lol

On a more serious note... although I'm not a fan of his, the answer is obvious... OSGOOD.

Crosby will win the Conn Smythe no matter which team wins the Cup.

Come to think of it, if we win the Cup, Bettman will still probably ask Crosby to come out and take a picture with him and the Stanley Cup before he invites Lidstrom to come get it.

Check your facts. I believe the rule states:

'If the Wings look like they're gonna close out the Pens, 5 minutes before the end of the 3rd, Sidney Crosby will be traded to the Detroit Red Wings, for 10 minutes.'

It's a weird rule, but I don't make 'em up.

In my opinion, Datsyuk has been the best player for the Wings throughout the playoffs. He might not show up on the stat sheet every night, but he's been consistently great at both ends of the rink in every game so far! The physical part of his game that he's showing this year is really opening some eyes. :thumbup:

Zetterberg could easily win it though, because he's leading in goals and pts, for now, and he has been right up there with Pavel for great play at both ends of the ice. It's hard to pick between the two of them.

Ozzie definitely deserves to be mentioned, but I think it will go to D or Z, IF the Wings win the series.

Edited by MannyMaltby3418

It must be pretty rare for a player who leads all playoff scorers in points, goals, and +/- whose team won the Cup to not win the Conn Smythe. But, if things continue like this, it's going to happen. There's absolutely no way you could give it to anyone but Ozzie.

1. Ozzie

2. Hank

3. Lidstrom

I think it should go to Z at this point. I really have a hard time giving it to a goalie that faces less shots than the opposing goaltender every single game. There is no doubt how good Osgood has been, but in reality he hasn't had to steal any games for the wings, he has just had to been solid (which he has).

No doubt though if Franzen didn't get injured we wouldn't even need to have a debate.

I think it should go to Z at this point. I really have a hard time giving it to a goalie that faces less shots than the opposing goaltender every single game.

Yet faces just as many scoring chances