• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
esteef

Flipper's Goal!

Rate this topic

i dont understand the fascination with the athleticism of the bobby orr flying goal. dont get me wrong orr was great, but i mean he jumped AFTER he scored...it wasnt even necessary, it was sort of a wierdo's celebration move. if he had jumped first, then put the puck in while flying, that would have been worth all these years of admiration.

i saw the orr clip again on CBC a couple months ago, rewound the PVR and was like, whats the big deal? jumping after you score?

I think this goal is more impressive than the orr one, and not just because its a red wing. orr was amazing and one of my fav players i read about in books as a kid.

WAY TO GO FLIPZ, GO WINGS!

Yeah, the photo is better than the video.

IMHO...Fleury could have, and should have stopped it.

Amazing individual effort by Flip, but ultimately it goes down as a bad goal because Fleury should have stopped that puck. Hell, it went in off his paddle. If he had bee moving laterally with proper technique; in other words, his pads more square to the shooter, then that puck never makes it past Fleury.

You have got to be freaking kidding me.

man the joe was jumping when that happened, i couldnt help but pound my 9 dolla beer

lol, nine dollar beer. That is funny.

Fleury seemed slow to react and somewhat in the wrong position when Flip shot, possibly due to his slow reaction. That's a mistake that cost him the save. It doesn't mean Flip isn't awesome...just that Fleury should have stopped it.

Isn't that how all goals are scored? It's either a great shot or the goalie is out of position.

You have got to be freaking kidding me.

Watch the viedo again. Doesn't look like Fleury's movement laterally just stops? If he keeps moving, or pivots slightly, there's no way that shot, as it was, makes it to the net.

The best I can figure is Fleury thought he had boxed him out; either that or he didn't realize how much net was still available. Either way, the goal was only able to happen because of a mental mistake by the goaltender. Doesn't mean Flip's goal was any less awesome, just that if Fleury doesn't screw up, it never goes in.

Watch the viedo again. Doesn't look like Fleury's movement laterally just stops? If he keeps moving, or pivots slightly, there's no way that shot, as it was, makes it to the net.

The best I can figure is Fleury thought he had boxed him out; either that or he didn't realize how much net was still available. Either way, the goal was only able to happen because of a mental mistake by the goaltender. Doesn't mean Flip's goal was any less awesome, just that if Fleury doesn't screw up, it never goes in.

I don't want to watch the video again. I don't care that badly to argue just for the sake of arguing like you do. And you are making an assumption that Fluery not screwing up meaning it doesn't go in. Again, you are making an assumption, NOT A FACT.

Oh don't get me started on that! Half if not more of this board were more than prepared to see Flipper go, thankfully Holland, Babs and co know what a talent we have on our hands. And is Hossa even playing in this series?

I'll come in and defend my boy Hossa, and obviously I am a Wings fan first.

I know your gung-ho about Flip but he won't ever be the player Hossa is. Ever.

You can throw any team, any player or anybody you want at the Wings right now and they simply aren't going to score. It does not matter who it is. If Hossa is playing on the Wings he has at least 5 more points (already 10 more than Flip) than what he has. I love Flip as much as the next guy but to sit there and insinuate that he is or will be a better hockey player than Hossa is just being a homer. Will Flip be a solid hockey player? No doubt. But please, he's not going to be putting up numbers like Hossa's anytime soon. Nor will he ever be as physical.

Edited by dallas27

I'll come in and defend my boy Hossa, and obviously I am a Wings fan first.

I know your gung-ho about Flip but he won't ever be the player Hossa is. Ever.

You can throw any team, any player or anybody you want at the Wings right now and they simply aren't going to score. It does not matter who it is. If Hossa is playing on the Wings he has at least 5 more points (already 10 more than Flip) than what he has. I love Flip as much as the next guy but to sit there and insinuate that he is or will be a better hockey player than Hossa is just being a homer. Will Flip be a solid hockey player? No doubt. But please, he's not going to be putting up numbers like Hossa's anytime soon. Nor will he ever be as physical.

How did I insinuate that Flip would be superior to Hossa? Never did I do such a thing. Hossa is one of the elite players in the league. All I was saying is that in order to get Hossa we would've most likely had to trade Flip and/or Huds and most probably our 1st round pick. Look what Pittsburgh had to give up for Hossa. All I'm saying is that he wouldn't have been worth it, even more so because he is a rental.

It's a great photo, but I agree, when you watch the actual goal, you see he actually scored and basically lept afterwards.

As for Flips, I was thinking Fedorov, not Orr. That's a total Sergei move where you put the puck under the guy's stick, then bring your around and on top of it so you can get the shot off.

i agree completely....didnt think of it till you said it but yes, very much like Feds.... man and the guys that are really impressing us with moves etc are all young...yet they want to say on the CBC that pitts is the next edmonton....when in reality the next edmonton could very well be detroit... and i'd far rather like to say the next NYI... not only 4 in a row, but a great team, and one that stevie chose 19 for (trottier) and during the last game Draper also said his fav kids growing up was trottier!

Lol.

The goal happened because Flip was better than he was on that play. Period. Flip beat him. You can add as many qualifiers as you like, but trying to argue the point you're arguing comes across very strongly as taking something away from the goalscorer.

And the point is?

Just once id like to hear you say "Hell yes, that was awesome" instead of breaking everyone down on the what ifs and why shoulds...