• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

truebladearmy

Punch on Franzen?

Rate this topic

You come from behind, on a guy that has been out for several games with a head injury/concusion like symptoms, and hit him with your fist in the face? Not an elbow. Not a hard check. A blatant fist strike to the head.

What do you guys think about this?

I noticed an unusual number of shots to the head directed toward Franzen: Roberts, Whitney, and Malkin (during the fight). Do you think the Penguins were targeting Franzen's head because of his concussion symptoms?

Kind of makes you wish there was something that could be done to prevent deliberate exploitation of injuries. Too bad the least you can get for "intent to injure" is a match penalty.

It was blatant. Once things got out of hand the Penguins -- no surprise -- went cheap. Both of the blows (Roberts and Whitney) were clearly intentional.

The most amusing thing about all of this is that the Penguins may actually believe the after-the-whistle, cheap plays actually make a difference or "get under the skin" of this Red Wings team.

Newsflash: It doesn't.

Absolutely they were.

The Pens will be on better behavior to start game 3, though. They waited until the game got out of hand to start that crap tonight. Although hopefully, they'll be that frustrated at the end of game 3, too.

1) No respect for the Penguins. Two intentional shots on Franzen's head (Roberts and Whitney) and an intentional shot on Osgood (though that was far less then what it looked to be, but it was the cherry to top it all off).

2) I hope someone takes Roberts head off next game. Of course not literally but if Kronners sees the guy skating with his head down...BOOM. Otherwise, the Drake needs to drop the gloves on him. What a dirty little f&%?er.

3) Franzen scores 3 next game to bury the Pens. Wishful thinking but man that would be sweet.

It doesn't take a brain surgeon to figure this one out only to put Franzans mellon back together again. Roberts is a A$$wad and I hope McCarty plays next game just for such a situation. Or Maybe Chelly so the two Old Timers could go at it in the Biggest series of the season. Now that would be fun to watch! :hehe:

A 19 year vet like Roberts taking a cheap, classless shot on Frazen.....and followed up later with another.....maybe there is something to the "lack of respect" chatter....sad to see from a guy like Roberts....

And the face of the NHL - Sid, booed in every barn and again whinning to the refs to nite....

Go Wings!!

A 19 year vet like Roberts taking a cheap, classless shot on Frazen.....and followed up later with another.....maybe there is something to the "lack of respect" chatter....sad to see from a guy like Roberts....

And the face of the NHL - Sid, booed in every barn and again whinning to the refs to nite....

Go Wings!!

There's no doubt in my mind that the head shots were intentional. They were clear hits with no reason behind them but to get under the wings skin. When it didn't work, they just continued doing it like the classless animals that they are.

You come from behind, on a guy that has been out for several games with a head injury/concusion like symptoms, and hit him with your fist in the face? Not an elbow. Not a hard check. A blatant fist strike to the head.

They can deny it all they want in post game interviews et al, but much like both Riberio AND Osgood knew what they were doing in the game 2 DET-DAL incident, Roberts knew what he was doing against Franzen hitting him in the head. Sykora knew what he was doing to Osgood making contact with him late in the game. Osgood knew what he was doing to a degree trying to draw a penalty and getting himself into a position where Sykora could have a better chance of making more contact with him.

I just read something on ESPN, and the writer stated that the league needed to suspend Roberts to display a point about head hunting....now, that is what the league should do, and I know that they won't actually do it--but this writer had a good point.

Penguins veteran Gary Roberts has enjoyed a great career, but his (amazingly) unpenalized head shot on Wings forward Johan Franzen in third period was a gutless act. If the league wants to send a message about such plays, they should suspend Roberts. On this one, Roberts earned it. When a vet like Roberts loses his composure, it doesn't send a good message to his younger teammates. As the game wore on, the Pens seemed to melt down.

"A couple of minutes later, Roberts stuck a fist in Franzen's face, and France went down as if mortally wounded. He was fine. Roberts wasn't penalized and Franzen didn't miss a shift."

That's a direct quote from tsn's story on the game. What a load of crap.

Of course it was intentional. It's a weird situation -- that was a very dangerous, reckless play considering Mule's head problems (whatever they may be), but I don't really think it's suspension-worthy at all.

Roberts has been around a long time; he's no fool.

They can deny it all they want in post game interviews et al, but much like both Riberio AND Osgood knew what they were doing in the game 2 DET-DAL incident, Roberts knew what he was doing against Franzen hitting him in the head. Sykora knew what he was doing to Osgood making contact with him late in the game. Osgood knew what he was doing to a degree trying to draw a penalty and getting himself into a position where Sykora could have a better chance of making more contact with him.

I won't deny that Osgood was seemingly in an ideal position to take that hit, but Sykora's elbows came up, and he skated right at him. Regardless of where the goalie stands, a goalie hit is a goalie hit, and it's always questionable. He didn't have the puck when the hit occured. Those guys can skate circles around players....so to smash into a player at a straight skate, is entirely intentional. It's not like he was pushed, fell, or was even really chasing the puck. He went straight for osgood. If Osgood dived, so be it. That was a dumb move late in the game on pittsburghs behalf one way or another.

Roberts hit Franzen. Franzen didn't even score, but his line did twice. And if you watch the game very closely, Franzen did some amazing s***. He was a thorn in their side every shift he played (As we all said he would be). He's a mean player, and a clean player, with a lot of size, and a lot of energy, who can really destroy another team be it with goal scoring, play making, or just taking people out of the play so his line can do what they will.

Franzen had no goals, but his line had 2 of 3. Not like we weren't warning Pittsburgh fans about this guy since game one, heh. He has become an incredible player at almost every level. Defensively, he'll bog the best down no problem. Offensively, he can score. On the boards, good luck getting him off you. I think he just finally got under their skin, and they quickly realized he was a huge threat. Hence.......multiple attempts right at his head.

For his first game back Franzen was great. A horrible detriment to their team, and he barely played like he was against Colorado.

Our top guys aren't scoring. THey've folded to a more defensive game (Leading to two shutouts, so amazing on their part....so amazing of Dats and Zett to be so strong defensively, and still get quality shots over and over).

But our secondary lines are scoring. Sammy, Fillupula. Stuart.

That, I recognize, must cause some frustration when your team is losing to 3rd/4th line guys, and not scoring a single goal in return......but those cheap shots on Franzen were absolutely rediculous. Blatantly obvious, and absolutely retarded.

I think the major argument of Pittsburgh right now is "Osgood dove!!!"

First off, Penguins already down 3-0 when that happened. Hardly any time left, at all.

That does NOT, in any freaking way, justify hitting Franzen in the face.....twice.

Two hits, that could kill a man (I'm a medic in the army, I know a bit about it), in exchange for a late game, your team already lost......possible dive?

You pittsburgh people are climbing the s***bag pole ultra fast, if you sincerely think for half a second that a possible dive, is of greater signifigance than multiple hits, PUNCHES for christs sake, to players heads.

Edited by truebladearmy

I definitely think it was intentional.

I counted about a half dozen shots/nudges/etc to Frazen's noggin.

Cheap, dirty play. I guess they figure if they can't beat the Wings cleanly, they'll try to use any advantage they can.

Instead of the Philly's "Legion of Doom" maybe they're Pitt's "Legion of Dicks".

No doubt about it the end stuff was intentionally. Just trying to show it happens both ways and 2 teams on the ice often do things intentionally like that. While some of that isn't necessarily "right", it's a part of the game.