• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
10 Minute Misconduct

Nomadic Stuart hopes to stick in Hockeytown

Rate this topic

"I haven't felt this way about a place since I was drafted by San Jose and it looked like I was going to be a fixture in the Sharks’ lineup for a lot of years. This is even better because of the unbelievable winning attitude in this locker room and on the ice. It's a good fit. I hope they think so, too."

The nomadic life has really played havoc with Stuart's young family. His wife, Melissa, and young sons Jake and newborn Logan are still in Los Angeles.

"I'm a long ways away from my wife and kids, but the Red Wings have really been great about letting me take time off when the baby was born and they've left me go home another couple of times," he explained. "I can't say enough about how we've been treated here. Real classy.

http://www.nhl.com/nhl/app/?service=page&a...rticleid=364412

I really hope the guy does stick around. He's holding the #4 D man position well and I'm convinced he'll take a reasonable amount of money for the chance to stick around with the team. The guy could very well be the #2 D-man on some teams in the league, but he's getting a good taste of what it's like to be an integral part of one of the most dedicated hockey teams in the league.

Not only that, but I don't think there's too many young(ish) D-men that wouldn't appreciate the chance to learn from Lids and Raffy, not to mention having an excellent partner in Kronwall.

I've seen him make some gaffes (hell, who doesn't?) but I don't think I've seen him take a shift off. He works. Hockeytown likes players that work. All in all, he's worth the money.

I would love to see Stewart stay in Detroit, he seems to be working into the system nicely and that goal last night certainly didn't hurt. Him and Kronwall are probably the two best hitting defensive pairing in the league.

If I were Stuart, I would sign as fast as possible. There are very few teams in the league he could play for that he could fit in with as easy as he can with Detroit. He isn't a #1 or #2 defenseman which is what he was touted as when he came into the league, but he has the skill to be a #3 or #4.

E.J. Hradek is spot on with his analysis on his ESPN blog.

Here's a note to Wings defenseman Brad Stuart: Do whatever you can to stay in Hockeytown! After bouncing from San Jose to Boston to Calgary to Los Angeles, the former Sharks first-rounder has found a good spot for himself in Detroit. He's formed a nice chemistry with Niklas Kronwall on the club's second defensive pair. In Game 2, Stuart jumped into the rush and scored the Wings' first goal. Stuart might find more money somewhere else, but he won't find a team that can support his strengths and (more importantly) weaknesses like the Wings.

The nice thing about the Stuart situation is its a good fit for both sides. As long as his family can be happy in/near Detroit, everything should work out very well. As others have mentioned, Stuart really can't be a top line defenseman in the league, but he's vastily superior to most teams second pairing (and realistically the number 4) guys.

While I don't necessarily agree that its in Stuart's best interest to sign as quickly as they seem to think he needs to, I do feel that a fair deal can be worked out that will keep him here for a while for a fair price. 4 years/$3 mil per. That may be a little light, but keep in mind he's going to be playing second fiddle to Lids and Raf for atleast the next 2 seasons, and he gets job security and stability with his family.

Being on the brink of winning your first Cup will have that kind of effect on people :D

I don't see any reason not to keep him though. As long as there's cap room to do it, what with a lot of people locked in for pay raises already and Z and Flip due for extensions and raises too. A lot of teams in the league would have him as a top-pairing defenseman....if we can keep him at a discount and at #4, it's the kind of luxury that'll keep the Wings on top.

I hope they sign him. He's adjusted so well here and I think that next season he could be even better, considering he'd be closer to his prime and be even more comfortable, maybe his family will have settled in, so no distractions.

And I think Stuart could be a #1 on some teams, have you seen some of the defensive units out there? The league is going through a serious lack in great defensemen.

Sign him for a reasonable amount. He seems to have a great attitude, and he works hard.

Stuart has been awsome. Even though his play was a little shaky at the start of the playoffs he has picked it up big time. He has a +/- of +12 according to the NHL site. He also adds a physical element to the Red Wings I love.

How could he possibly leave after this? He's gotta be having the most fun he's ever had playing hockey. The organization has treated him so well. He's got a firm role on the team, #4 D-man. I guess the only possible factor is his family but seriously, after this, how could he not make it work?

I'm...shocked.

There's no way that could have been Pronger. It was too well-written and...well, accurate.

How could he possibly leave after this? He's gotta be having the most fun he's ever had playing hockey. The organization has treated him so well. He's got a firm role on the team, #4 D-man. I guess the only possible factor is his family but seriously, after this, how could he not make it work?

He has a wife and a child.

I mean, he is not even 30 years old and he already is married. Crazy. :lol: