• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
wingsownnhl43

Top 10 players in the NHL

Rate this topic

Before the season I started a similar thread and got some homer flak for putting Zetterberg in the top 10 but now what? Seems like him and Datsyuk have definitely arrived and should be considered.

Compiling a list like this is extremely difficult. Players like Datsyuk and Zetterberg arent as highly touted as Crosby, Malkin, and Ovechkin, but as we've seen, I can safely say they belong in the same class, maybe even higher.

1. Sidney Crosby, PIT

2. Nick Lidstrom, DET

3. Alexander Ovechkin, WAS

4. Henrik Zetterberg, DET

5. Pavel Datsyuk, DET

6. Jarome Iginla, CAL

7. Vincent Lacavalier, TB

8. Dany Heatley, OTT

9. Joe Thornton, SJ

10. Evgeni Malkin, PIT

Extremley biased, I know, but after watching Hank and Pavs in the playoffs, I think they are every bit as good as any of these players. I didnt put goalies in the list because I think it's just too hard to compare them with players. They deserve a list of their own.

10. Evgeni Malkin, PIT

If you come out and say that you are "tired", you deserved to be benched. No way he is in the Top 10!

Edited by Real1

Lidstrom

Ovechkin

Zetterberg

Crosby

Datsyuk, Iginla, Alfredsson, Malkin, Heatly, Thorton Would probably make up the latter 6. Datsyuk would take either #5 or #6, behind only Iginla I think. I might be leaving some other team's D players. Perhaps Phaneuf, Chara or Pronger (as much as I hate to include that punk) would be in the top 10.

Edited by Z and D for the C

1) Lidstrom

2) Ovechkin

3) Zetterberg

4) Datsyuk

5) Crosby

6) Malkin

And after that, it doesn't matter. Pick any four guys from Brodeur, Thornton, Kovalchuk, Iginla, Lecavalier, Sundin, Alfredsson, Hossa, Kovalev, Heatley, Spezza, Luongo, Osgood, Chara, Phaneuf, Getzlaf, Sundin, Morrow, or anyone else you want to call a top ten player.

There are three clearly divided tiers at this point; There's the top tier, which includes Lidstrom, and then there is the second tier, which includes Ovechkin through Malkin. After that, there's everyone else who gets called an 'elite' player, plus a couple guys who don't, competing for the last four spots on the list.

1. Lids

2. Dats/Z/Ovechkin

5. Crosbeaner

And after that, it doesn't matter. Pick any four guys from Brodeur, Thornton, Kovalchuk, Iginla, Lecavalier, Sundin, Alfredsson, Hossa, Kovalev, Heatley, Spezza, Luongo, Osgood, Chara, Phaneuf, Getzlaf, Sundin, Morrow, or anyone else you want to call a top ten player.

That. Except throw Malkin somewhere in that general list, because I'm not sure I'd give him a solid rating above all those others at the moment. Lids, Ovie, Dats, and Zets are all top notch, though.

1. Lids

2. Dats/Z/Ovechkin

5. Crosbeaner

That. Except throw Malkin somewhere in that general list, because I'm not sure I'd give him a solid rating above all those others at the moment. Lids, Ovie, Dats, and Zets are all top notch, though. And Crosby, though I daresay MT is having a bad influence on him and he won't stay up on that list unless he starts getting better leadership, no matter how much talent he has.

Crosby def. shouldn't be number 1, Malkin and him are proving to be some of the most overhyped players. If they continue to play this poorly I would say most of the top 10 list should be filled with Western Conference players, because you have to be much more well rounded.

No offense to the general hockey community or anyone on this board but I hope Datsyuk has a big game, while at the same time Zetterberg somehow remains silent. I think Datsyuk pulling closer in points is all thats needed for the general consensus to change. While a small group of people, after this playoff, now consider him the most complete player in the league, others still don't see it because Zetterberg has a couple more points.

People are also employing the "What have you done for me lately" policy. Hank has been hot over the last few games but Pavel has been by far the most consistent player on this team from game one to today. Hank was pretty silent in the Nashville series.

This is just my reaction after seeing the "Top ten players" thread. It seems that everyone puts Zetterberg a notch above but doesn't offer any real criteria as to why. Four points(really three if Holmstrom's goal in game one counted, or two if you count the Datsyuk non-goal in the Dallas series). Its amazing how four simple points can put such a division between two players.

And in all honesty, if Datsyuk weren't continuely nominated for the Byng, I think the gap would be closer. Its not like Zetterberg is more physical, he doesn't lay more hits, he just takes more penalties.

Before the season I started a similar thread and got some homer flak for putting Zetterberg in the top 10 but now what? Seems like him and Datsyuk have definitely arrived and should be considered.

Compiling a list like this is extremely difficult. Players like Datsyuk and Zetterberg arent as highly touted as Crosby, Malkin, and Ovechkin, but as we've seen, I can safely say they belong in the same class, maybe even higher.

1. Sidney Crosby, PIT

2. Nick Lidstrom, DET

3. Alexander Ovechkin, WAS

4. Henrik Zetterberg, DET

5. Pavel Datsyuk, DET

6. Jarome Iginla, CAL

7. Vincent Lacavalier, TB

8. Dany Heatley, OTT

9. Joe Thornton, SJ

10. Evgeni Malkin, PIT

Extremley biased, I know, but after watching Hank and Pavs in the playoffs, I think they are every bit as good as any of these players. I didnt put goalies in the list because I think it's just too hard to compare them with players. They deserve a list of their own.

I will though ;)

1. Marty Brodeur (NJ)

2. Alex Ovechkin (WAS)

3. Nik Lindstrom (DET)

4. Sidney Crosby (PIT)

5. Vinny Lecavalier (TB)

6. Dion Phaneuf (CGY)

7. Joe Sakic (COL)

8. Jaromir Jagr (NYR)

9. Danny Heatley(OTT)

10.Mike Richards (PHI)

ok,ok, I'll admit that last pick was bias... :lol:

I will though ;)

1. Marty Brodeur (NJ)

2. Alex Ovechkin (WAS)

3. Nik Lindstrom (DET)

4. Sidney Crosby (PIT)

5. Vinny Lecavalier (TB)

6. Dion Phaneuf (CGY)

7. Joe Sakic (COL)

8. Jaromir Jagr (NYR)

9. Danny Heatley(OTT)

10.Mike Richards (PHI)

You clearly have not watched a single game of Western Conference hockey this season.

I will though ;)

1. Marty Brodeur (NJ)

2. Alex Ovechkin (WAS)

3. Nik Lindstrom (DET)

4. Sidney Crosby (PIT)

5. Vinny Lecavalier (TB)

6. Dion Phaneuf (CGY)

7. Joe Sakic (COL)

8. Jaromir Jagr (NYR)

9. Danny Heatley(OTT)

10.Mike Richards (PHI)

That is one messed up list.

lmao, right-o. I'm not understanding how Crosby and Malkin have made it on to as many lists as they have. To be in a list as big as the Top 10 in the NHL I would think that you'd have to be able to adjust your game to beat your opponent in any situation, and these 2 players can't get anything going against the Wings, they've hit a wall and they've hit it hard...a KRON-WALL

ZING!

Edited by sidney_who?

The top ten list based on performance in the 2007-2008 NHL regular season and 2007-2008 Stanley Cup Playoffs:

1. Henrik Zetterberg

2. Pavel Datsyuk

3. Nick Lidstrom

4. Sidney Crosby

5. Chris Osgood

6. Nik Kronwall

7. Brendan Morrow

8. Evgeni Malkin

9. Joe Thornton

10. Mike Richards

I tried to factor in not only points and TOI but also the net impact each player had on their team's success in both the regular season and the playoffs taking into account several statistical categories such as pp and pk time, plus/minus, GWG/GTG, faceoff % (where applicable), and leadership. I would have rated Malkin higher had he not "disappeared" in the last 5 playoff games. Osgood's presence here will undoubtedly raise eyebrows but this list is based on THIS season and THIS season's playoffs only; not their entire career or who has been the best in the last 5 years. Since playoffs matter the most in the NHL a player's ranking in my list was based on 35% their regular season contributions and 65% their playoff performance.

People are also employing the "What have you done for me lately" policy. Hank has been hot over the last few games but Pavel has been by far the most consistent player on this team from game one to today. Hank was pretty silent in the Nashville series.

Pav had 5 points, Z had 4 in the first round. Not comparing the two, just stating the facts.

You clearly have not watched a single game of Western Conference hockey this season.

no I'll admit, I have not..so I have to "pick" from what I HAVE seen..I guess my thinking was this: If I were going to start a franchise..which player would I build a team around? as such Brodeur would have to be #1..of course there are plenty of guys that deserve to be on a top ten list..BUt it would for me start with Brodeur..especially after things like this:

Untitled-5.gif

no I'll admit, I have not..so I have to "pick" from what I HAVE seen..I guess my thinking was this: If I were going to start a franchise..which player would I build a team around? as such Brodeur would have to be #1..of course there are plenty of guys that deserve to be on a top ten list..BUt it would for me start with Brodeur..especially after things like this:

I was referring more to things like saying Joe Sakic was the top forward in the conference, when he's no longer top three among forwards in his division.

I was referring more to things like saying Joe Sakic was the top forward in the conference, when he's no longer top three among forwards in his division.

on a related note, have you guys seen this website?

mynhl draft

I know hindsight is 20/20 but look at some past drafts and you have to ask yourself: what the F were they thinking????

example: 1991:

Draft#:1

Eric Lindros

Ht/Wt:

Position:C

Drafted From:Oshawa Generals (OHL)

Draft#:2

Pat Falloon

Ht/Wt:

Position:RW

Drafted From:Spokane Chiefs (WHL)

Draft#:3

Scott Niedermayer

Ht/Wt:

Position:D

Drafted From:Kamloops Blazers (WHL)

Draft#:4

Scott Lachance

Ht/Wt:

Drafted From:Boston University (NCAA)

Draft#:5

Aaron Ward

Ht/Wt:

Drafted From:U. of Michigan (NCAA)

Draft#:6

Peter Forsberg

Position:C

Drafted From:Modo Hockey Ornskoldsvik

you think Vancouver would like a MUlligan on that draft? :lol:

or in 1990: the Flames swapped picks with NJ at #11 to pick Trevor Kidd...so the Devils at #20 selected....Marty Brodeur!!