• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

StevieBoy

Pitts press conference live now...

Rate this topic

In case anyone missed it and would like to see it, and for anyone who's looking for things to do to pass the time until 8 PM EST, Babcock's presser along with a few player interviews are up on redwings.nhl.tv.

unfortunately roberts didn't man up to intentionally punching mule in the head... like another poster already mentioned, roberts claimed that he caught mule with his shoulder... well, if you look at the replay he did catch mule with his right shoulder, but then promptly punched him in the side of the face with his left hand... i guess roberts forgot to mention that.

Do you really expect him to say "Yeah, I punched him in the head."

Would Kronwall ever say "yeah, I left my skates on that hit" or Draper saying "I completely crosschecked him in the face when he wasn't expecting it?"

PS: For extra amusement, head over to penguins.nhl.tv and watch Therrien's presser. And then Babcock's. And then say, "Thank you, god."

Have I mentioned yet how much I love Mike Babcock? Because I do, I love him. Especially when he's asked about meeting with the NHL, and he replies, "And most of the meeting had to do with blows to the head." and then goes on to praise the refs. How brilliant is he?

It's interesting that all the other coaches that Detroit has played against thus far in the playoff never complained about "obstruction", but now MT is using that excuse because he can't find a plan that will work against the Wings game plan so far.

"Dee obstucktion is der... we puck possession team, dey a puck possession team... dis da firt time we cant get dee puck... i hope dee refs call dee obstruction, it's der... we need to git our power-play out der..."

Pathetic. This guys a a Grade A 100% ass-clown. I'd be embarassed to be a Penguins fan with this crybaby behind the bench.

holy s*** matt that was spot on

Have I mentioned yet how much I love Mike Babcock? Because I do, I love him. Especially when he's asked about meeting with the NHL, and he replies, "And most of the meeting had to do with blows to the head." and then goes on to praise the refs. How brilliant is he?

Hear, hear!

As Matt said, Therrien's playing with fire; he's not exactly endearing himself to the refs, is he? Can't imagine so.

Babcock, on the other hand, always says and does the right thing. Case in point: the way he complained about the waved goal in Game 1 by going toe-to-toe with that one reporter, rather than openly calling out the opposing organization or any one member of it.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: hiring him as head coach is far and away one of the best decisions Ken Holland has ever made -- and will ever make. Therrien is thoroughly outmatched in this coaching battle. It's amazing.

Edited by Dabura

Would Kronwall ever say "yeah, I left my skates on that hit" or Draper saying "I completely crosschecked him in the face when he wasn't expecting it?"

At least he could've said something a little more plausible like "I lost my balance" or something, but yeah, admitting to s*** is like pre-signing the check for your fine from the league.

:rotflmao:

*Just laughing imagining any of those players actually giving those responses to the media*

I'll try to organize this as best I can, because my thoughts are wide and varied:

1) I guess it should be said that I'm not a Therrien fan. He's made a lot of progress this year as a coach, and played a huge role in getting a young team this far, but I don't think he'll ever "bring it home." We'll be losing Orpik next year and, no doubt others, if he stays past next season. Babcock makes him look like a pee wee coach.

2) That said, I don't have a problem with the whining. If it can get Holmstom's ass a penalty (literally), then I'm all for any edge we can get right now. There's enough leadership among the players to take it for what it is and not use it as an excuse for losing.

3) I also don't have a problem with not getting the calls, although he has a point. The Wings have been experts at taking it just far enough not to get a whistle. It's no worse than Kronwall's borderline charging (which I also am OK with). It's just a vet team executing the perfect plan to win and forcing the younger team into frustration and mistakes. It's technically illegal and certainly a boring style of hockey, but I would make no apologies if my team were doing it.

4) I'm not real thrilled with the Pens' weak attempts to goon it up late in Game 2; I thought they could have actually been better at sending the message they were trying to send. However, if anyone has a moral issue with Robert's hit on Franzen, I've got no sympathy. If he's at risk of worsening his condition as a result of weak s*** like that, he shouldn't be on the ice.

Edited by Dr Rosenrosen

4) I'm not real thrilled with the Pens' weak attempts to goon it up late in Game 2; I thought they could have actually been better at sending the message they were trying to send. However, if anyone has a moral issue with Robert's hit on Franzen, I've got no sympathy. If he's at risk of worsening his condition as a result of weak s*** like that, he shouldn't be on the ice.

Yeah. Well, if someone slashes Crosby's ankle, what would you think about that?

Hits to head have no place in the game. Roberts is dirty player, everyone knows that, but that hit to head from behind was too much.

I keep wondering that myself. It seems everyone is assuming that Therrien and Crosby's whining are going to turn into more calls, and I can understand why. At the same time, however, can anyone else also see it backfiring? Particularly in light of the way the Pens handled (or, rather, mishandled) the end of Game 2?

That's the one thing that scares me. We're clearly the better team, and it's to NHL's best to lengthen the series.

It's not the fact that we think Franzen would be injured (they wouldn't let him play if that were the case). It's the fact that the evidence suggests the Pens were going after the head of someone who has just returned from a head injury.

I'll try to organize this as best I can, because my thoughts are wide and varied:

1) I guess it should be said that I'm not a Therrien fan. He's made a lot of progress this year as a coach, and played a huge role in getting a young team this far, but I don't think he'll ever "bring it home." We'll be losing Orpik next year and, no doubt others, if he stays past next season. Babcock makes him look like a pee wee coach.

2) That said, I don't have a problem with the whining. If it can get Holmstom's ass a penalty (literally), then I'm all for any edge we can get right now. There's enough leadership among the players to take it for what it is and not use it as an excuse for losing.

3) I also don't have a problem with not getting the calls, although he has a point. The Wings have been experts at taking it just far enough not to get a whistle. It's no worse than Kronwall's borderline charging (which I also am OK with). It's just a vet team executing the perfect plan to win and forcing the younger team into frustration and mistakes. It's technically illegal and certainly a boring style of hockey, but I would make no apologies if my team were doing it.

hmm... I'll bite.

1) yes, Babcock is superior.

2) this time, the whining might backfire. do you really think the refs like hearing about the ton of obstruction going on that they don't call? it makes them look bad, when in fact, they have nothing to call.

3) scoring seven goals in two games is boring hockey? pish posh.

4) Roberts hitting Franzen clean would've been totally fine. but guess what? he sucker punched him in the mug.

you are a tool. good day, sir.

I also don't have a problem with not getting the calls, although he has a point. The Wings have been experts at taking it just far enough not to get a whistle. It's no worse than Kronwall's borderline charging (which I also am OK with). It's just vet team executing the perfect plan to win and forcing the younger team into frustration and mistakes. It's technically illegal and certainly a boring style of hockey, but I would make no apologies if my team were doing it.

Whoa now. The "obstruction problem" in question is largely an invention of Therrien's. To be more specific, it's a truism; every team obstructs to some extent. The Wings are simply doing an outstanding job of taking away the Pens' time and space. It seems incomprehensible to many that a guy as talented as Sidney Crosby could be shadowed so effectively and efficiently, but that doesn't mean there's foul play afoot all over the place.

If you want to talk illegalities, look no further than Gary Roberts' shot to the head. If you want to talk goalie interference, talk to Tomas Holmstrom. If you want to talk diving -- well, you know what I'm going to say about that one.

Edited by Dabura

hmm... I'll bite.

2) this time, the whining might backfire. do you really think the refs like hearing about the ton of obstruction going on that they don't call? it makes them look bad, when in fact, they have nothing to call.

4) Roberts hitting Franzen clean would've been totally fine. but guess what? he sucker punched him in the mug.

That pretty much sums it up - well said....

Your team executing and playing nearly flawless hockey the first two games of the finals is anything but boring if you're on the winning side. I'm sorry, but its boring for the Pens fans because their team can't figure it out and worst of all haven't scored a single goal.

This isn't meant to be arrogant, rather I'm just pointing out that if the situation were reversed I would highly doubt you'd consider it boring.

Edited by Never Forget Mac #25

hmm... I'll bite.

Lol, I especially like his #3 talking about taking just to the edge of getting a whistle. The Pens are the absolute masters of this. It is the single biggest reason they even made it into the playoffs much less the the SCF. Witness Crosby spending most of his time on the ice grabbing our guys sticks, our guys getting sticks hacked out of their hands, Roberts punching people in the head, Malkin constantly slewfooting people, and Malone just being the asshat that he is. They've played this all year drawing retaliation penalties and then using the one and only offensive line they have to score PP goals. That is exactly why they are so frustrated now. Detroit's discipline (helped by the fact that Chelios isn't on the ice wacking people) has kept the Pens from getting the retaliation calls that they are used to and spending a good share of their time on the PP. Not only has this limited their scoring opportunities as they've shown they're not so hot at 5 on 5, it has also exposed another glaring weakness in their game, how weak their goalie has been playing.

Turns out it's not so easy in goal when your opposition isn't on the PK all the time. After all the hype, most of the goals we have scored have been weak. The first goal by Stuart in game 2 should have been a gimme for Fleury. If for instance Osgood let in a shot like that everyone in the media would have been blathering about him letting soft ones in again. I loved it when the guy on TSN spoke up and said to stop make excuses for the guy that he just wasn't playing good.

PS: For extra amusement, head over to penguins.nhl.tv and watch Therrien's presser. And then Babcock's. And then say, "Thank you, god."

I think it was hilarious how after he said that grinned a little and then quickly hid his smile.

babcock.gif

You know, the more I think about it I wonder if this is going to backfire on him. Besides the fact that I don't see the obstruction out there that he swears he sees, he's now whined so much I wonder how willing the referees for tonight's game would be to appease the the whine-fest.

He's showing up the referees now with three days of this slop.

I dont know what he's talking about either when he mentions all of this obstruction. The wings are skating circles around everyone.

the wings are the number one offensive team in the league. the only thing that is boring about the 1st two games has been how one-sided they have been.

ya...i guess if i were a penguin fan and watched my team get totally dominated and deminished into a sub par team, I would be frustrated too. They are now seeing that they are not as good as they think they are.

The Stanley Cup is about having a game plan and the Wings have one. A lot of the Penguin fans thought that their team would waltz through this series like they did the entire play-offs. The Wings are a bad-ass team with a ton of talent and leadership. Pitt hasn't met another team that is the caliber of Detroit, especially the defensive power.

Yes, it is tough to watch your team kick ass through the playoffs and then hit a brick wall in the Stanley Cup...yet I don't think the Wings fans should get too cocky either...the Wings need to win 2 more...the Pens need 4 out of the next 5.

On another point, I think the officiating has been suspect this year...the disallowed goals on Holmstrom have been ridiculous! Those calls should be reviewable. A s***ty call by a ref should be reversible especially in an important game ...play-offs or Stanley Cup.

To say that the Wings are playing boring hockey is an outrageous and foolish comment...you should watch it from this side of the ice! They are kicking ass and we are loving it!