• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
sdogg1m

Left Wing Lock

Rate this topic

If the Red Wings do not play the left wing lock then what is their team defensive strategy?

I believe the strategy is entitled, "Go Get The Damn Puck."

Seriously....that's basically what they do. We don't have it? Go get it then.

The left-wing lock disappeared when they got rid of the two-line pass. I'm not a hockey coach, so I don't know the particulars and intricacies. But basically, the left-wing lock was predicated on clogging up the half of the neutral zone that you were allowed to pass the puck into from your defensive zone. Now that you can pass to the other half of the neutral zone, there's twice as much ice to defend so it just doesn't work.

FWIW:

http://www.nhl.com/nhl/app?articleid=36452...mp;service=page

Q. Nick, given what you guys have been able to accomplish the last two games, especially last night holding them without a shot for the first 12 minutes of the game, where does this team rank in all of your years since you've been in Detroit from a defensive standpoint?

NICKLAS LIDSTROM: It's tough to compare teams to what we have. Previous championship teams are back in the '90s. I thought we -- the team we have right now is tough to play against, where the forwards are coming back hard. We're playing tight as a group. We very seldom have a big gap where you give the other team a lot of room to skate through the neutral zone. And we try to push teams on the outer side. Under Scotty Bowman, when he was our coach, we played a similar style, but we had left wing lock, we call it. We had three guys that could stand up at the red or blue line and prevent teams from coming at us with speed. That's one of the similarities that we used to play under with Scotty and the way we play right now.

I believe the strategy is entitled, "Go Get The Damn Puck."

Hmm. Googles name of defensive strategy... Strange, why is there no mention of it?

I hear a lot of forwards backchecking, just wondered if we had a name for it.

Success?

hehe :yowza::hehe:

Guess that would be a good name for the scheme. Other than that I hope the NHL never brings back the two line pass. We would have won roughly 2-3 more cups if the rule had been eliminated in 95.

Edited by sdogg1m

Guess that would be a good name for the scheme. Other than that I hope the NHL never brings back the two line pass. We would have won roughly 2-3 more cups if they rule had been eliminated in 95.

No worries, the league has no reason to bring it back.

As for their system, its basically puck-possession meets lunatic fore-checkers feeding off having the puck.

I think most of our lines come down with a standard one-in forecheck, hard backchecking through the neutral zone, and our centers commit deep in the defensive zone, behind our goal line if necessary. There's nothing particularly unique about the setup, it just works better for the Wings because they backcheck so hard and because the defense and weak-side forwards maintain good gaps with their assigned men. It's really simple, but Babcock coaches it extremely well and our players are very hard-working on defense. No system would work if players couldn't win one-on-one battles, and we're lucky enough to root for a team that is very good in that area, regardless of a size disparity.

Almost the only 'trick' the Wings use is that offensive man-advantage attack where the defenseman drops the puck to a man behind him at center ice. Basically our defense backs them into their zone, then hands off to a faster-moving player that can get it in.

The left wing lock was basically a modified version of the trap--the left wing would stay high in the offensive end and then line up with the defence at the Wings' blue line.

As others have said, eliminating the red line effectively made this system obsolete. But the Wings don't trap either (contrary to what some hockey halfwits have suggested). Instead, the forwards backcheck furiously, often with the defence actually moving up into the neutral zone or even hitting a puck carrier inside his own blue line, even when the opponent is on the power play.