• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
tweekvp

Pitt's Third Goal

Rate this topic

On Pitt's third goal Robert's came through the crease when Hall was behind and forced Osgood farther from the crease. It this doesn't happen the bank-in never happens.

Also the contact with the goalie should have been interference easy. How does Homer's stick get called and not what Roberts did?

Because he's not Holmstrom. End of discussion.

Vincanni said it all....it was fully body contact with oz, not just a stick..and DIRECTLY led to him not being able to get back into the right position....had oz stood back up half second sooner, puck wouldn't have gone in cuz he'd be tight on the post. I'm not gonna whine and say that we were held down by refs, but i think therrien's whining did open the refs eyes to some of the things wings were doin, and have done all season and all playoffs long, and only now because of all the publicity about it...pretty much have to call it. Honestly, i'm wondering if therrien's bitching wasn't just a diversion to throw us off, while he really just went over privately what needed to be done. His press conference though...notice he didn't ***** once? We didn't really play the same defensive game we have been, and i didn't see them neutral trapping much...I wonder if babs told em to tone it down to avoid the calls?

I did not mean for this to be a Ref bashing thread. I thought calls were pretty even in the game and the Pen's earned the W.

I was just a little upset that this type of call can't be consistent. Especially for it to be the game winning goal.

I also wondered if everyone else noticed it or if I was just seeing things through red and white glasses.

When I saw the play in real time I thought for sure it was interference, but watching the replay I was just looking to see if Roberts was making contact when the puck went in....so I can't say whether or not he bumped Ozzie but I wouldn't be surprised if Roberts did bump Ozzie out of position......

I'm glad I'm not a coach because during my press conference if I was Babcock I'd say something like "I guess this is the part where I complain about the officiating in the hopes that we can get a few calls to go our way next game"......but thankfully Babcock has more class than I do!

Go Wings!

what about late hit on lilja, nowhere near the puck too.. ridiculous goal.

I thought the puck was in the area when Lilja got hit. Not much different from Sammy's forecheck on his second goal in game one. My only issue with the goal is Roberts forcing Os further out of position.

I did not mean for this to be a Ref bashing thread. I thought calls were pretty even in the game and the Pen's earned the W.

I was just a little upset that this type of call can't be consistent. Especially for it to be the game winning goal.

I also wondered if everyone else noticed it or if I was just seeing things through red and white glasses.

No, i wasn't really trying to bash man, i was simply stating that maybe therrien was playing mindgames with the whining, while really behind the scenes he was telling something completely different to his team, like....what needed to be better etc. I do think that while the wings did take some bad penalties, that the refs focused so much on watching the obstruction of the wings...that, they were unable to catch the stuff the pens got away with. I don't blame therrien or the pens for this at all...i blame maybe the refs for buying into it and focusing on the obstruction by the wings, and not the things the pens did....oh well, i think whatever therrien was doing, it worked, and we can't fault him for trying.

I just watched the replay and there was no interference by Roberts! If Ozzy would of stood up instead of going for the puck, maybe, but unfortunate situation!

I guess I just mistook Osgood's lunge for the puck as contact. I'll have to check out the replay again later.

I think the Wings will adjust to the conditions in Pittsburg and have a better effort next game.

I hope game four is as exciting as game three with a better outcome of course.

GO WINGS!

Edited by tweekvp

I'm glad I'm not a coach because during my press conference if I was Babcock I'd say something like "I guess this is the part where I complain about the officiating in the hopes that we can get a few calls to go our way next game"......but thankfully Babcock has more class than I do!

Maybe you missed the fact that the Wings had 5 powerplays to the Pens 3 in the game, or was that not enough of an advantage for you?

In fact for the series Detroit now has a 19-11 advantage in powerplays and you guys want to whine about the officiating?

Maybe you missed the fact that the Wings had 5 powerplays to the Pens 3 in the game, or was that not enough of an advantage for you?

In fact for the series Detroit now has a 19-11 advantage in powerplays and you guys want to whine about the officiating?

our coach and players aren't whining about officiating because they can win a game without it

therefore wings fans point out the obvious

whereas your entire team and fans whine about every ******* call the refs make that doesn't directly result in crosby scoring a highlight reel goal.

Guest Crymson

It should be borne in mind that Pitt has gotten the ultimate call in this series---that against Homer in game 1---and that as such you all have no place to be complaining about individual bad calls.

what Lilja should've done was go into the corner and dig the puck out and take the hit, leading to us most likely being able to clear the puck and no goal on the play. instead he played it soft looking to avoid the hit and that was the difference.

Wellll welll...the Pens lose two games, and all their fans on this board disappear. They win one, and look who's back. Ha ha.

Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't Therrien ***** and complain about the officiating in his press conference after game 2? Thats right he did. He didn't want to give the Wings credit for outplaying them in games 1 and 2. What did Babcock do during his press conference after game 3? gave credit to the Penguins when credit was due. Just goes to show how much more class Babcock has over Therrien.

Guest MrSandMan

Acually, Detroit would have way more than 19 PPs if officials were to call all the "obstruction" that your coach fabricated (and cried about) --See what real crying is HERE. (that is MT crying about his fabricated 'obstruction' and ozzy)

what Lilja should've done was go into the corner and dig the puck out and take the hit, leading to us most likely being able to clear the puck and no goal on the play. instead he played it soft looking to avoid the hit and that was the difference.

True; Chelios in game 4?

Acually, Detroit would have way more than 19 PPs if officials were to call all the "obstruction" that your coach fabricated (and cried about) --See what real crying is HERE. (that is MT crying about his fabricated 'obstruction' and ozzy)

um, ok...sure bud. My point is that of course Detroit has no reason to cry over non-calls because they are getting the majority of them. It will be interesting to see how they fair when things get tilted towards the Pens a bit maybe and our PP is able to really capitalize.

I didn't neccessarily like Therrien's complaining either, but everyone knows thats the coach's job to work the officials if their team is getting shorthanded more often than not. Babcock will be doing the same if the roles are reversed in the future I'll guarantee that.

I give credit that Detroit is damn good at the obstruction style of play they employ. Unless you're really watching for it you don't notice because it is so subtle and they are coached so expertly at doing it without receiving penalties. I still think you would've won games 1 and 2 regardless, but it certainly didn't hurt your cause to have the refs on your side as well. The Pens didn't realize that they just have to hustle twice as hard as a result and play through it which they did in game 3. Now that they realize what they're up against maybe the rest of the series will have a different story.

I also credit Detroit for overcoming the no-goal call in game 1 which indeed was bogus and that's what good teams do.

You've managed to hold Malkin in check for 3 games now which is very impressive, but that just means he's probably going to have a big breakout game very soon...hopefully on Saturday night.

There are two different kinds of calls/non-calls.

One is the kind of call that happens all the time, a late hit here, interference there etc. These even out over time. These are the calls that the Pens were complaining about. Ozzie diving for example was somehow worse than Hossa diving. Complaining about these is like complaining about the weather. When its raining in July everyone complains but when its 70 degrees in February no one has a problem with it.

Then their are significant botched calls like Lidstrom's goal being taken away in game 1 or Crosby's goal not being a goal in the Flyers series. These have series changing potential. These are worth noting.