• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Aki

Holmstrom: Wings practicing as if he won't play

Rate this topic

"Homer's pimp walk" :lol:

On a not-so-funny note: McCarty? Please, Babs, no.

I'm not thrilled about Mac facing this Penguins team either, but who would you rather have? Certainly Downey isn't going to be much, if any upgrade. Your next options are rookies that haven't even sniffed a game in these NHL playoffs, let alone Game 4 of the Stanley Cup Finals.

I'll take my chances with Mac if that's the case, and just forewarn him to take it easy out there. Short shifts, defensive responsibility.

I'm not thrilled about Mac facing this Penguins team either, but who would you rather have? Certainly Downey isn't going to be much, if any upgrade. Your next options are rookies that haven't even sniffed a game in these NHL playoffs, let alone Game 4 of the Stanley Cup Finals.

I'll take my chances with Mac if that's the case, and just forewarn him to take it easy out there. Short shifts, defensive responsibility.

I would rather see Abdelkader, for reasons I mentioned earlier.

Upon further thought, perhaps my "McCarty? Please, Babs, no." statement was a bit much. I do think he's a liability and I'm doubtful of his ability to keep up with the pace of play, but he does have experience going for him. Also, I'd have to think that he feels a bit like he owes the Red Wings something. That coupled with what you mentioned (short shifts, forewarning him to be defensively responsible) has potential for a good game.

Anyway, let's all hope for the best with Holmstrom. And, if not, trust Babcock to make the decision.

UPDATE: The Red Wings are preparing for Game 4 as though Holmstrom will not be available, having Dan Cleary skate in Homer's spot alongside Pavel Datsyuk and Henrik Zetterberg.

When a player is likely to return, the Wings will practice with a place-holder (like Mark Hartigan) and keep everyone in their same spots. Today, Hartigan is centering the second line with Filppula -- who has been banged up all post-season -- not taking the ice. Filppula will, however, be in the lineup tomorrow. Moving Cleary tips the Wings' hand that they're preparing for the game that way.

Here are the lines the Wings are working with today ...

Datsyuk-Zetterberg-Cleary

Franzen-Hartigan (subbing for Filppula)-Samuelsson

Drake-Draper-Maltby

Hudler-Helm-McCarty

http://redwingscorner.blogspot.com/

I would rather see Abdelkader, for reasons I mentioned earlier.

Upon further thought, perhaps my "McCarty? Please, Babs, no." statement was a bit much. I do think he's a liability and I'm doubtful of his ability to keep up with the pace of play, but he does have experience going for him. Also, I'd have to think that he feels a bit like he owes the Red Wings something. That coupled with what you mentioned (short shifts, forewarning him to be defensively responsible) has potential for a good game.

Anyway, let's all hope for the best with Holmstrom. And, if not, trust Babcock to make the decision.

It looks like he already has if the situation presents itself. Babs did exactly what I would've done.

You can never underestimate how valuable a player with experience is in this situation, especially when compared to a kid that hasn't played single NHL playoff game.

Edited by Never Forget Mac #25

Hmm not good.

I would break up the Euro twins at least at the start of the game and make the Pengus worry about two lines.

Flipper/Pav/Cleary

Logo Assasisn/Hank/Franzen

Maltby/Draper/Drake

d-Mac/Helm/Happy

http://pod08.prospero.com/n/blogs/blog.asp...tag=KDKA_Sports

Originally Posted by Pittsburgh Sports Insider

HOLMSTROM DONE?

Posted by mvuk

If a rumor that is going around is true, the Penguins chances of winning the Stanley Cup are alot better. A source has told PSI that "I spoke with a couple of the members of the Detroit media last night and they said in no unequivocal terms that Holmstrom is out for the season with a "sports hernia." PSI will be attending the Red Wings practice this morning at the Mellon Arena and will try and confirm this source. Just to be clear, PSI has not yet confirmed this thru the Red Wings but we're just reporting what we're hearing. Holmstrom has been a beast for the Pens defense to try and defend in front of goalie Marc-Andre Fleury.

Let's hope it is the same "sources" who had Franzen out for the season.

http://pod08.prospero.com/n/blogs/blog.asp...tag=KDKA_Sports

Originally Posted by Pittsburgh Sports Insider

HOLMSTROM DONE?

Posted by mvuk

If a rumor that is going around is true, the Penguins chances of winning the Stanley Cup are alot better. A source has told PSI that "I spoke with a couple of the members of the Detroit media last night and they said in no unequivocal terms that Holmstrom is out for the season with a "sports hernia." PSI will be attending the Red Wings practice this morning at the Mellon Arena and will try and confirm this source. Just to be clear, PSI has not yet confirmed this thru the Red Wings but we're just reporting what we're hearing. Holmstrom has been a beast for the Pens defense to try and defend in front of goalie Marc-Andre Fleury.

Let's hope it is the same "sources" who had Franzen out for the season.

Of all the media that is out there that can't be trusted, any of Pittsburgh's in this situation are even less reliable.

See above.

Edited by Never Forget Mac #25

Obviously, I want Homer to play. But if McCarty plays instead, then at least if the Wings are getting blown out, there's a chance Mac will punch Roberts in the face. That wouldn't make up for the sting of losing, but it would take the edge off it a little bit. :)

UPDATE:

Coach Mike Babcock on Holmstrom: "The back of his leg, the hamstring, he's got a little problem there. We think he'll be fine. Tough guy. ... I'm not going to decide, he's going to decide. He's a tough guy and I expect him to play."

UPDATE:

Coach Mike Babcock on Holmstrom: "The back of his leg, the hamstring, he's got a little problem there. We think he'll be fine. Tough guy. ... I'm not going to decide, he's going to decide. He's a tough guy and I expect him to play."

That sounds a little more like what I expected.

And I hope some media lackey from Detroit did tell the Pens that Homer is out. Lull them into false security, then BLAMMO!!!

Mule-kick yo' asses!