• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
40#1Fan

Red Wings might have good shot at Sundin

Rate this topic

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/artic.../805290367/1004

PITTSBURGH -- The Wings lost out on the sweepstakes for one of agent J.P. Barry's Swedish clients.

But while Fabian Brunnstrom is signed, sealed and delivered to Dallas, there's a chance Mats Sundin could end up in Detroit.

Sundin, who was in Pittsburgh to accept the NHL's Mark Messier Leadership Award, didn't shed much light on his future plans when he met with the media Wednesday afternoon. But according to a league source, the Wings and the Montreal Canadiens are among the teams that will pursue the 37-year-old center if he opts to leave Toronto. He's scheduled to become an unrestricted free agent July 1.

The Wings will have room under the salary cap to make a significant splash in free agency, at least for next season. The team will look to lock up Henrik Zetterberg to a long-term deal beginning July 1, but he's still locked in for one more year at a cap-friendly salary of $2.65 million.

"It's all speculation," Sundin said Tuesday. "I think the biggest decision for me, that I have right now, is to make sure that I feel that I'm physically and mentally ready to train for another season to continue my career. And I think, No. 1, is to see what's going to happen with the Toronto Maple Leafs. And after that, I think we'll go from there.

"But, obviously, what's going to happen in Toronto is it's going to be very interesting. And it's going to affect my decision in the future."

The Leafs' current front-office upheaval, with no full-time general manager and no coach at the moment, may have an impact on Sundin's decision. The 17-year NHL veteran -- Sundin has been Toronto's captain for a decade -- is expected to meet with interim GM Cliff Fletcher next week.

"I haven't made a decision about next year," Sundin said. "But I do think I have a lot of different options in terms of -- I have a lot of options I can explore. And I think I still remain that I want to end my career as a Toronto Maple Leafs. Saying that, though, the way the situation is right now, I don't have everything in my control, either. There's got to be a mutual agreement there. And as I said, I don't have any at this point, I don't have anything I can say about what's going to happen next year.

"For me to come back to Toronto, Toronto has got to show they really want me to come back, too. So we'll see what happens."

Guest Crymson

Sundin won't be looking for a long contract and we'll need to pay Z in '09, so he looks like a decent option.

Sundin is so far past his prime, I don't think he even remembers when he peaked...we don't need a 37 year old liability on the team.

report says Maple Leafs are pursuing Sundin.

just as they are pursuing every single free (or not-free) agent on the

market, because every player in this league would love to see his

career ruined by touching the pest of MLSE.

sorry, couldn't resist :)

No need for Sundin

Keep ZDH together

Franzen Flip Hudler/Sammy*

Cleary Draper Maltby

Abdelkader Helm Kopecky/Hudler*/Downey**

*IMHO Next year Sammy has become expendable by the play of Mule, Hudler and Mule are on the wings of Flip. I wouldn't complain if Sammy was still here, but his role has been taken.

**After what he did this season I see no reason not to sign Downey for the same role next season. HE DID HIS JOB PERFECTLY!

I put that in all caps because if you look back through the Downey threads I was the biggest anti-Aaron Downey poster on here!!

Mats Sundin = guaranteed 75 points. He wants a shot at the Cup, and Toronto ain't it.

He also has a habit of making French-Canadian goaltenders go crazy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2BbRYJJeJvU...feature=related

meh. i'd rather have the extra cap space. mats isn't the player he once was, and we seem to be doing pretty ok w/o him.

The Wings will have room under the salary cap to make a significant splash in free agency, at least for next season. The team will look to lock up Henrik Zetterberg to a long-term deal beginning July 1, but he's still locked in for one more year at a cap-friendly salary of $2.65 million.

I didn't realize we had Z for so cheap for one more year. That's fantastic! And I respect that he honors his contract unlike some players, and doesn't hold out for what he'w worth.

Back on topic, it sounds like we have a year of decent cap space, I'd love to get Sundin.

I think this season has made it abundantly clear that mid-upper 20 year old players with discipline and a good work ethic are in demand.

If there's not speed, a guaranteed scoring touch, a cheap price tag, and smart defensive play there's no signing.

But it would be smart to sign someone who has never won the cup. They tend to infect the locker room with the desire to win, which comes in handy in a season when a champion team might become complacent.

I cant see him leaving TO for another team, but if he left now, as a UFA, and the Leafs got nothing for him ... WOW. I dont even know what i'd say. That would be a huge blow. Not just to TO, but also to his legacy as a Leaf.

I can't think of anybody in the top 6 that I would want to replace w/ Sundin. I don't think he'll come cheap. If money wasn't an issue I might be willing to part w/ Sammy and replace him with Sundin but really I just don't see this happening.

No need for Sundin

Keep ZDH together

Franzen Flip Hudler/Sammy*

Cleary Draper Maltby

Abdelkader Helm Kopecky/Hudler*/Downey**

*IMHO Next year Sammy has become expendable by the play of Mule, Hudler and Mule are on the wings of Flip. I wouldn't complain if Sammy was still here, but his role has been taken.

**After what he did this season I see no reason not to sign Downey for the same role next season. HE DID HIS JOB PERFECTLY!

I put that in all caps because if you look back through the Downey threads I was the biggest anti-Aaron Downey poster on here!!

You are assuming Maltby does not retire after these finals....

It is just a gut feeling but I think he may.

i think it would be awesome to bring sundin in. He would be a great addition to our second line. I'd feel 100% better about our second line if sammy was off of it and we had a hall of famer taking his spot? Him and franzen would be a beastly combo. However, we did just sign some new fin that suppose to be pretty good, as well as abdelkader who i really want to see next season. So....if it happens cool if not no biggy.

Let me be clear I would advocate sigining him, but only for a bargain, one-year price and only if Drake, McCarty, Chelios are all gone. We're going to have, I think, a huge veteran presence gone next year in the dressing room, and Leino might not be reay for a regular NHL shift yet. He could be next year's Robitaille, the guy they all want to win for.

But if he wants 6 million a year again, he can rot in Hogtown and lose there next year.