• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Hank Dats 'N Homer

Shanahan

Rate this topic

No, this is not another "bring him back" thread ....(even though i wouldnt mind getting him back haha). I was just wondering since he is a FA this summer has their been any talk about negotiations with NY? I thought he was pretty happy there and i thought they like him, but i havent heard anything. If not, does anyone know any team that is still interested or is it time for shanny to hang them up?

I havent heard anything thus far, so I have absolutely nothing to add to this thread, except I wish he would come back too. He's such a cool guy. To me he just belongs in Detroit.

Guest Crymson
I'd love to have Shanny back in a supporting role, but I doubt Kenny would even make him an offer. I think Shanny might go to a Canadian club or an O6 team, that or retire.

I absolutely don't want Shanny back anywhere. He is slow and defensively irresponsible. The departure of he and---sorry, everyone, but you know this to be true---Yzerman allowed this team to move forward. Shanahan's presence on this team would be a step backwards, not a step forwards.

I absolutely don't want Shanny back anywhere. He is slow and defensively irresponsible. The departure of he and---sorry, everyone, but you know this to be true---Yzerman allowed this team to move forward. Shanahan's presence on this team would be a step backwards, not a step forwards.

QFT

rangers have been saying they want to keep him and he has been saying he loves playing in NYC. He has a been a major part of Rangers reanimation... Solid 2 seasons... a fan favorite too, they chant his name all the time... (been at live games in MSG a few times over the past 2 years)

Shanahan is a chemistry killer. Does anyone remember the worst line in Red Wings history?

Shanahan-Datsyuk-Draper

Ugh

Shanahan isn't a improvement over anyone in the top six. And hes not going to play for Samuelsson or Drake money.

Shanahan is a chemistry killer. Does anyone remember the worst line in Red Wings history?

Shanahan-Datsyuk-Draper

Ugh

Shanahan isn't a improvement over anyone in the top six. And hes not going to play for Samuelsson or Drake money.

that is why he probably went to the Rangers to be one of the key guys rather than a 3rd 4 th liner with limited PP time.... Say what you say he has been great for the wings over the years.

that is why he probably went to the Rangers to be one of the key guys rather than a 3rd 4 th liner with limited PP time.... Say what you say he has been great for the wings over the years.

Of course but that could be said about any of the players. Theres no reason to fall back into old habits. Guys like McCarty and Shanahan were cut/left for a reason, it should have stayed that way.

Fedorov, I would welcome back, since he was the best player on the team when he departed and would still be a valuable asset.

Really, we'll have the same team next season, give or take a couple players(Drake, Stuart). If both sign, then there really isn't much needed for this roster. An upgrade for the third defensive pairing would be nice.

We really don't know much right now though, Filppula is going to be an RFA next year, he could get an offer sheet. Franzen and Zetterberg need new contracts, which means we can't sign players for next season that would put us over the cap with Johan and Z's new contracts.

I think Rafalski was the last "Big" signing this team will see until Lidstrom retires or Z decides that he can make more money elsewhere.

Sidenote: Shanahan's type of play is the exact opposite of the direction Babcock has taken this team. While I love Shanny and appreciate everything he's done, I don't want him back.

Someone said it best in an old thread: Losing Shanny to FA was like you wanting to break up with your girlfriend, but feeling too guilty to do it. When your girlfriend ends breaking up with you, you act sad but know deep down that your happy and dodged a bullet. The Wings did just that with Shanny leaving.

Edit: (Kelsey) Grammar

Edited by Never Forget Mac #25

Here is a thought (and remember I am a Sammy supporter)

Shanny or Sammy?

To me I would rather have Shanny on the 2nd pp or 2nd line winger.

Having said that I still am not sure I would want him in Det and I am pretty sure he doesn't want to be in Det. When he left it was time, there was a changing of the guard so to speak.

IMO the wings should continue to groom the youngsters and let them develop along side the core of veterans that are here and locked up.

But if it came down to it and the roster was identical to today's I would want Shanny on that second line.

Will it happen I highly doubt it, I don't think the wings need shanny or sundin or any other veteran to be a contender again next year.

Well, there has been talk of him retiring for a start.

Anyway, Shanny is too old and too slow. His last season with us was, as someone pointed out at the time, the quietest 40 goal season in Wings history. And his playoff numbers have nosedived this millenia.

When Shanahan signed with NYR, I wasn't as upset as when Fedorov defected. However, I was listening to a radio interview just after Shanahan signed and he said something like, "Well, I felt that certain players, myself included, shouldered too much blame for playoff losses."

How did Shanny perform? Considering he was being paid as a top gun, here's his games vs. goals statistics in the playoffs:

1997--20 games, 9-8-17

1998--22 games, 5-4-9

1999--10 games, 3-7-10

2000--9 games, 3-2-5

2001--2 games, 2-2-4

2002--23 games, 8-11-19

2003--4 games, 1-1-2

2004--12 games, 1-5-6

2006--6 games, 1-1-2

2007--10 games, 5-2-7 (with NYR)

2008--10 games, 1-4-5 (with NYR)

Since 2002, Shanahan has been a player in decline when it counts, save the 2007 playoffs. He was miffed in Detroit because he was blamed for not being a cost merited player in the postseason.

Back? Sergei, sure. Shanahan? Forget it.

my speculation would be either Shanny re-signing with the Rangers or just retiring.

i LOVED when he was here, but he has dropped off in every part of his game, and i just dont see where he'd fit on this team anymore..

and besides i remember Shanahan as a scorer and a go-to guy.

his last year here he scored 40 goals.

i KNOW he didn't do that in New York. and that was just a one season difference.

i totally agree. :thumbup:

Just say no to Shanny.

At this stage in his career, he's a slow defensive liability who lacks all of the fire and passion that once made him an elite power forward. This shouldn't be news to anyone; it's why the Wings parted ways with him in the first place.

I love Shanny as much, if not more than the next guy. But times have changed, and he's no longer what he once was. He is still a great guy and helped the Wings have the success they did, and no one can argue either of those points. That said, the team is better off without him and I'd rather remember him in the winged-wheel as he was the second he left, 40 goal-scorer. I would hate for him to come back and be the new Lang or Samuelsson, unless he took Samuelsson money and position, neither I see happening.

I absolutely don't want Shanny back anywhere. He is slow and defensively irresponsible. The departure of he and---sorry, everyone, but you know this to be true---Yzerman allowed this team to move forward.

I really can't argue against that, but it's good to see us back in the Finals only 2 years after Shanny and Stevie left.

I heard on the FAN590 in Toronto, the only way the Rangers will re-sign Shanny is if he agrees to take a lesser roll (4th line minutes and 2nd PP line) with the team.

As for the debate about bringing him back, I second what NFM said. As much as I enjoyed having him on the team and appreciated everything he did, I wasn't upset to see him go. It was time to break up with him :P

Just say no to Shanny.

At this stage in his career, he's a slow defensive liability who lacks all of the fire and passion that once made him an elite power forward. This shouldn't be news to anyone; it's why the Wings parted ways with him in the first place.

I don't know if I'd go as far as saying he's lacking fire and passion. I'd say more so that his body can't handle being the power forward he once was with St. Louis and Detroit.