• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
FireCaptain

10 best Captains in the last 14 years

Rate this topic

Being a Wings fan... I feel you are speaking uneducated here.... I agree Crosby isn't a amazing captain.... but he is 20 years old.... a better public speaker than our president... and he took a pay-cut to keep the team together.... 8.7-8.3 :s

Because losing a .4 on your paycheck is soooo terrible and such as sacrifice for the rest of the team. Like I said you can feel I am speaking uneducated, but I have not seen him make a decision on or off ice that shows his leadership of his team.

Crosby shouldn't be on that list.

Give him 10 years. Then he may have proved himself as a great captain.

Sundin should be top 4, and Lidstrom is unreal but I'd push him to the end of the list, if I were to even put him on the list.

He's a great captain, yes, but there are many others that have proved themself longer with their team, and Lids has never faced a problem where he was forced to make a choice.

Edited by cirov19

You are yet to answer my question so I will restate it.... Can you provide me with a incident of his complete cry baby whining? And explain why in this case he was so much different than: AO? or any captain trying to get whats best for his team?

He constantly complains to the refs during the game, and after games 1 and 2 he stated that the Pens needed to get more calls to go their way, which to me signifies a whiner, because he was begging for calls, instead of admitting that his team just was not good enough to win or to deserve any calls.

As for examples of his diving, I would provide you with proof, but the video footage would be too long to show, and this site has been running slow enough today as it is.

You're still in denial, aren't you?

Guest NumbaSixty-Six
He constantly complains to the refs during the game, and after games 1 and 2 he stated that the Pens needed to get more calls to go their way, which to me signifies a whiner, because he was begging for calls, instead of admitting that his team just was not good enough to win or to deserve any calls.

As for examples of his diving, I would provide you with proof, but the video footage would be too long to show, and this site has been running slow enough today as it is.

You're still in denial, aren't you?

Your Bias is showing.... He talks to the refs but doesn't every captain? (I must admit I never see Lidstrom or Babs getting heated over a bad call... but they never expect to lose either)

He stated the "Pens need more penalties" Aka "We need to be more disciplined so we can capitalize on our powerplays... not void them by getting a call two seconds after a Wing gets called"

This list is laughable. Crosby and Lidstrom are on there, but not Mats Sundin, Jerome Iginla, or Daniel Alfredsson? Heh.

And actually, I agree with the Penguins fan about the diving: fans from opposing teams have blown that so far out of proportion it's unreal. Sure, Crosby takes the occasional dive. But honestly, only a select few DON'T. The camera is more focused on him than other players (such as Maltby), and thus catches him more. Then the media grabs ahold of it, blow it up, and people take it as a fact.

I really don't mean to be bias I swear... but coming from a Pittsburgh native... he saved hockey in that region.... he took ownership of the team when they owed him millions... he really breathed life into the organization.... Idk I just think he should be mentioned as one of the greatest leaders of a city/team ever ......

I see no justification why he should be considered a great captain in your

post. I see here plenty of stuff people can acknowledge him but not a single

reason why this should be his captaincy

honestly, will we put Stamkos on this list next year just because he's draft no. 1

pick and is supposed to save some crappy franchise?

lets talk about this and a couple of recent seasons. is Crosby the guy who wearing

C has led his team for years to spectacular successes? sorry, but by a long shot not.

certainly not ahead of guys like Andreychuk or Iginla whom the guy from NHL.com

disgustingly omitted. same goes to Alfie. or Ryan Smyth who back in his Oilers

days was The Leader there. how about Naslund?

The only problem I have with Sid being on the list is that he's only been a captain for a couple of years. It has nothing to do with age at all. That's hardly enough time to put him on a list of the best captains. I wouldn't have put Stevie on a list of the best captains back in 1988 after he had only two seasons with the C. He hadn't earned it yet, much like Sid hasn't earned his place on that list, either.

Same with Nick. While I think Nick has been the perfect replacement for Stevie, he hasn't quite earned the distinction of being on a best captains list.

Give them both time, and I'm sure they'll earn it.

Just a little of how I feel about Sid - -I know a lot of you think Sid's a whiner, but he does in some ways remind me of Stevie. He's a scoring phenom who, at a very young age, is expected to take the team on his back and turn them around from being one of the worst in the league into a powerhouse. He's been given the captaincy at a very young age and has had a lot of responsibility foisted upon him. I don't necessarily think he's a whiner, but he is very young and will make mistakes due to lack of maturity and experience. He has the potential for greatness and I hope the Pens organization can bring him along, much the way the Wings did with Stevie, so that he can realize his full potential.

well they did say they wanted to put both of this year's captains on the list as to where they rank. I think if they wanted to do that, Crosby should have been 10 and Lids 9. I say that because no matter how you stack it Lids is a better Captain than Crosbitch.

Just for the record, they used the period beginning with 1994-95. Hence the reason Messier was not considered; most of his leadership legend came before that, and his period after that is remembered primarily for his massively selfish stint with Vancouver in which he forced them to give him the captaincy (and ship out fan favorite Trevor Linden, now back with the club) and unretire #11 so he could wear it. By comparison, Brett Hull was largely viewed as a selfish player. But he abstained from taking Konstantinov's #16 in Detroit, and when he signed with the Coyotes he asked them to unretire his father's #9, but only after acquiring his father's approval to do so.

Crosby has done nothing of note as a captain.

But just to make everyone aware, this is not a 'Top 9 Captains' list, but rather a list, ranked, of captains who have won the Stanley Cup since the 1994-95 season, with Crosby and Lidstrom added into it. That's why you don't see names like Francis, Lemieux, Sundin, or any of the other names that are being mentioned as 'missing' names. they didn't win a Cup, so they didn't make this exercise.

That said, using their 'Cup winner plus this year's finalists...this is my list of 9.

1) Steve Yzerman

2) Scott Stevens

3) Joe Sakic

4) Rod Brind'Amour

5) Nicklas Lidstrom

6) Scott Niedermayer

7) Dave Andreychuk

8) Sidney Crosby

9) Derian Hatcher

So they gave a little extra credit to Crosby, or didn't quite credit Andreychuk enough, but otherwise got it right.

Crosby is certainly not yet a great captain (maybe he will be, maybe he won't, who knows), but I don't think it could be said that he's a bad captain. I know theres a Crosby backlash since he is overexposed in the hockey media, and that we love to villianize players from opposing teams, but that shouldn't effect an objective view of Crosby as a leader.

My top group over the last 10 years would include:

1. Stevie (AKA The Captain; says it all)

2. Nick Lidstrom

3. Jarome Iginla

4. Joe Sakic

5. Rod Brind'Amore

6. Ron Francis

I'm hard pressed to add any more names to this group right now.

My top group over the last 10 years would include:

1. Stevie (AKA The Captain; says it all)

2. Nick Lidstrom

3. Jarome Iginla

4. Joe Sakic

5. Rod Brind'Amore

6. Ron Francis

I'm hard pressed to add any more names to this group right now.

Been lurking on these boards these past few days and finally registered! Unless I missed, somebody finally mentioned Ron Francis, one of the greats that not many think of!