No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
FireCaptain

10 best Captains in the last 14 years

Rate this topic

Guest NumbaSixty-Six
Crashing the Net did the article.

The Freep did a summary.

I disagree with SC making 7th. I really don't think he's a good leader.

Good for Yzer to get #1 .... I don't disagree at all

That's my point. He's destined to be a superstar and break a bunch of records, but he has no control as a leader.

He let's his players run wild and has no control over them. A Captain leads his team and keeps them in check.

You can't deny Crosby is a superstar, but he has yet to show leadership, certainly no more than Hatcher or Andreychuk.

Right. My bad. I see the error of my ways now.

:sly:

Crosby should be #1. He is the greatest captain and greatest player ever. He is bigger than the NHL itself. :rolleyes:

edit: quoted the wrong post

Edited by FireCaptain

Guest NumbaSixty-Six

I really don't mean to be bias I swear... but coming from a Pittsburgh native... he saved hockey in that region.... he took ownership of the team when they owed him millions... he really breathed life into the organization.... Idk I just think he should be mentioned as one of the greatest leaders of a city/team ever ......

Let the flaming begin

I really don't mean to be bias I swear... but coming from a Pittsburgh native... he saved hockey in that region.... he took ownership of the team when they owed him millions... he really breathed life into the organization.... Idk I just think he should be mentioned as one of the greatest leaders of a city/team ever ......

Let the flaming begin

How many seasons was he captain in the last 14 years? Not very many as I recall.

To me, Lemieux was a great player, but not even close to being one of the best leaders/captains ever. There is a big difference between those 2 terms, one often overlooked.

But really, there are many names on this list who should not have been there, for instance Crosby, who's been captain for a whole year.

My opinion:

1. Steve Yzerman, nuff said

2. Joe Sakic: He's pretty much the "Colorado Man's Yzerman"

3. Mats Sundin: He has all the greatest attributes of a leader other than an actual team to lead, but the fact that he hasn't bailed out on the Leafs yet speaks loudly about his loyalty, and if given the privilege that the rest on this list have of a top competing team, he would have multiple cups under his belt.

4. Scott Stevens: Although his team has slowed down considerably, he has been a huge part of the Devils' organization for their moments of glory.

5. Daniel Alfredson: This guy is constantly overlooked, especially because his team hasn't won a cup in forever, but he's a solid leader, and has always been a reliable source for motivation both verbally and through example. He also has a tendency to remind me of Yzerman; sometimes moreso than Sakic, but their lack of a Stanley Cup and their horrible crashing-and-burning this year definitely go against his resume.

6. Rod Brindamour: He pretty much singlehandedly won the 'Canes cup on his leadership skills mixed with his actual hockey talent.

7. - 10. Nobody really stands out as a hockey leader to me worthy of making a list of any sort. Although I'm sure I'm missing someone.

Guest NumbaSixty-Six
Sorry, but after Yzerman, Sakic, and Messier, everybody else is a pale comparison.

Messier? Last 14 Years?

"In his first season with the Rangers, Messier won his second Hart Trophy and guided the Rangers to the best record in the NHL. However, they were ousted in six games by the Pittsburgh Penguins in the second round. A year later they missed the playoffs" :-P

" the 1993-94 NHL season, the Rangers rebounded to once again finish first overall, and this time were expected to win the Cup. Messier was already known as a hockey superstar, but the birth of the Messier legend came as a New York Ranger in the 1994 Eastern Conference Finals against the rival New Jersey Devils. Down 3-2 in the best of seven series, Messier confronted the New York media and publicly guaranteed a Game 6 victory. In a feat comparable in New York sports history to Babe Ruth's called shot and Joe Namath's Super Bowl III guarantee, he backed up his promise by scoring a natural hat trick in the third period which helped the Rangers erase a two-goal deficit. The Rangers went on to win the series and the Stanley Cup (with Messier scoring the Cup winning goal in game 7) — their first in 54 years." <---- That however is pretty cool

"After his tenure with the Canucks, he returned to New York to try to lead the Rangers back to glory. The Rangers held a press conference where they symbolically buried a hatchet, and Messier made an ill-fated "guarantee" of a playoff berth.[6] Messier was also given back the team captaincy upon his return to the Rangers, handed over to him personally by Brian Leetch." <---- That shows alot of respect....

However.... is Rod Brind'Amour really that pale in comparison from a leadership stand point?

(^ Do you know how painful mentioning that Cryer scum's name was for me?)

Edited by NumbaSixty-Six

Sorry Sid just doesn't deserve to be there. I think the greatest problem today, is when you wear the C people have a problem distinguishing between a great player and a great captain. Crosby is a good player don't get me wrong. Breathing life back into his franchise is kind of stretching it. Yes he did help, but so did the prospect and finalization of plans for a new arena. He was the beginning, and the Pens management used him as an opportunity to build support. It's called marketing. That being said does that make him a good Captain no. I have yet to see him make a decision that puts himself second and the team first. To me that is why Sakic and Yzerman deserve to be near the top in mentions. They would do anything they could to make their team better even if it meant it would cost them something. When Sid gets Stevie Y's age and skates 3/4 of a season and the playoffs and wins the cup on a knee that is so badly busted he can barely stand come talk to me about leadership. Again no disrespect to Crosby he's a good player, but there are more than 6 other guys I would take before him as my captain.

Guest NumbaSixty-Six
Sorry Sid just doesn't deserve to be there. I think the greatest problem today, is when you wear the C people have a problem distinguishing between a great player and a great captain. Crosby is a good player don't get me wrong. Breathing life back into his franchise is kind of stretching it. Yes he did help, but so did the prospect and finalization of plans for a new arena. He was the beginning, and the Pens management used him as an opportunity to build support. It's called marketing. That being said does that make him a good Captain no. I have yet to see him make a decision that puts himself second and the team first. To me that is why Sakic and Yzerman deserve to be near the top in mentions. They would do anything they could to make their team better even if it meant it would cost them something. When Sid gets Stevie Y's age and skates 3/4 of a season and the playoffs and wins the cup on a knee that is so badly busted he can barely stand come talk to me about leadership. Again no disrespect to Crosby he's a good player, but there are more than 6 other guys I would take before him as my captain.

Being a Wings fan... I feel you are speaking uneducated here.... I agree Crosby isn't a amazing captain.... but he is 20 years old.... a better public speaker than our president... and he took a pay-cut to keep the team together.... 8.7-8.3 :s

Being a Wings fan... I feel you are speaking uneducated here.... I agree Crosby isn't a amazing captain.... but he is 20 years old.... a better public speaker than our president... and he took a pay-cut to keep the team together.... 8.7-8.3 :s

Yeah, it takes a great public speaker to whine about the officiating. :rolleyes: This kid is too immature to be a great leader yet.

Hell, he's not even old enough to drink.

Guest NumbaSixty-Six
Yeah, it takes a great public speaker to whine about the officiating. :rolleyes: This kid is too immature to be a great leader yet.

Hell, he's not even old enough to drink.

Unless your a professional lip reader... I don't know how you could have ever heard him whine.... to a large degree... (comon I am a realist pens fan... I picked the wings in 6.... but you seriously thinks he is that bad?)

Unless your a professional lip reader... I don't know how you could have ever heard him whine.... to a large degree... (comon I am a realist pens fan... I picked the wings in 6.... but you seriously thinks he is that bad?)

Is there anyone besides Pens fans, who doesn't think that he's a whiner? It's not much of a secret around the league that he's immature despite being a great player, and likes to dive all over the ice.

It's not all his fault, since he gets it from his coach, who will probably be talking about obstruction by the Wings for the rest of this series, and into next year. However, if he wants to be a great leader, asking for more calls is not the way to go, because you have to earn victories, no one is going to hand them to you.

Anyway, at this point, he's not much of a leader, just a great player.

Guest NumbaSixty-Six
Is there anyone besides Pens fans, who doesn't think that he's a whiner? It's not much of a secret around the league that he's immature despite being a great player, and likes to dive all over the ice.

It's not all his fault, since he gets it from his coach, who will probably be talking about obstruction by the Wings for the rest of this series, and into next year. However, if he wants to be a great leader, asking for more calls is not the way to go, because you have to earn victories, no one is going to hand them to you.

Anyway, at this point, he's not much of a leader, just a great player.

You didn't answer my question.... there for it seems like this "Crosby whines and dives" is turning into the sports version of "Saddam has nukes"

You didn't answer my question.... there for it seems like this "Crosby whines and dives" is turning into the sports version of "Saddam has nukes"

No, because this isn't a rumor, but a fact. You and the other Pens fans are the only ones unwilling to admit it.

Guest NumbaSixty-Six
No, because this isn't a rumor, but a fact. You and the other Pens fans are the only ones unwilling to admit it.

You are yet to answer my question so I will restate it.... Can you provide me with a incident of his complete cry baby whining? And explain why in this case he was so much different than: AO? or any captain trying to get whats best for his team?