• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Systemfel

Wings looking to re-sign Lilja

Rate this topic

Translation of this blog by Swedish NHL correspondent Gunnar Nordström:

Went by Detroit's locker room here in Pittsburgh after the team's light noon practice.

Talked a bit to Andreas Lilja, who wouldn't mind staying with the Red Wings even though negotiations were put on hold about a month ago.

Our conversation went down kind of like this:

"How you doing, Lilja? What's up?"

"Doing pretty well. You?"

"I talked to Ken (Holland, Detroit's GM) the other day, he said that they would really like to extend your contract and that you would probably reach a new agreement after the finals. Your last contract negotiations went pretty smooth..."

"Then you know more than I do. Sounds good. Maybe I should hire you as my agent."

"Sure."

"Might as well give you those three per cent the agent makes, or maybe you'll give me a bit of a discount? How about two per cent?"

"Done."

"Sweet."

Do NOT get this done Kenny.

:::::I'm on bended knee.......begging::::::::

Rather have needless a root canal each morning, and before I got to bed. I'll pay out of pocket for all of 'em too. Swear.

Deal Kenny? Deal?

Edited by DaKineMaui

Why?? Detroit better focus on Stuart and with Lidstrom, Rafalski, Kronwall and Stuart signed, I think the wise thing to do would be to insert more youth to the lineup in shape of Ericsson, Quincey and Meech to play alongside Lebda. That leaves no room for Lilja in my opinion.

I'd be very surprised - I thought Lilja wanted more than he is worth (ie $1M+)?

Given the 3 kids on D we need to start inserting into the line-up next season and the need to re-sign Stuart (and sort out Z and Mule) only way I see us resigning him is if Chelli retires and Stuart signs elsewhere.

Why?? Detroit better focus on Stuart and with Lidstrom, Rafalski, Kronwall and Stuart signed, I think the wise thing to do would be to insert more youth to the lineup in shape of Ericsson, Quincey and Meech to play alongside Lebda. That leaves no room for Lilja in my opinion.

QFT..

Couldn't have said it better myself!

Depends on other offseason deals i think. Lids will be a resign no doubt. I think Yzerman had an effect on him and he wants to be a career Wing. I think there are definitely a few guys that are ahead of Lilja on the resign list. I think after you knock those out you weigh his value against what he's askin. If there's room resign him.

If the signing is near or below $1 million (which it should be) I have absolutely no problem with this signing. Keep in mind that Lilja is nothing more than a bottom pairing Dman on this Wings team, and he's better than anyone else in the number 6 slot.

While I can't argue this statement, thats Bab's call. If he feels that Ericsson, Quincey or Meech bring more to the team than Lilja, than he'd play them. Don't get me wrong, because I completely agree with infusing the Wings' youth into team, but I trust Babs to make the decision not only about who should be playing each night, but whats best for the team long term (which is a huge part of his job that people forget--not necessarily you).

Depends on other offseason deals i think. Lids will be a resign no doubt. I think Yzerman had an effect on him and he wants to be a career Wing. I think there are definitely a few guys that are ahead of Lilja on the resign list. I think after you knock those out you weigh his value against what he's askin. If there's room resign him.

Lidstrom signed a 2 year extension earlier in the season.

I also just remembered something Babs said in the Dallas? series. When he called Ericsson a stud who deserved to be playing in the NHL.

meh, can't believe I'm saying this but keep Lilja, let Lebda walk. Meech and Quincy are the same kind of Defenseman as Lebda for the most part in any case(speedy but not very physical)

i'd see our D like this

Lidstrom-Rafalski

Kronwall-Stuart

Lilja-Ericcsson

Meech/Lebda

that said I wouldn't give Lilja more than 1.5 mil

I think with the amount and quality of young talent chomping at the bit for their chance to get in that someone on our current roster will not be back.... My hope is that its Lilja. I've heard Babcock praise the play of Ericsson predicting he will become a "stud" in the league... I have a hard time not seeing Ericsson in the line up next season.

Lidstrom-Rafalski

Kronwall-Stuart

Lilja-Ericcsson

Meech/Lebda

that said I wouldn't give Lilja more than 1.5 mil

I think you're right, but I wouldn't even give him 1 mil. he's good, but not that good.

Surely not?

Quincey, Ericsson, Meech, Kindl, Smith, Pyett. We have so many young defenceman coming through the ranks, Lilja is expendable. The first two in particular are ready and re-signing Lilja would almost definitely spell the end of Quincey's time in Detroit which IMO would be a real shame.

Cheli's likely gone (which is sad, considering I only got my jersey for Christmas), so there's a slot to fill. I'd say sign Stuart, fill in with Ericsson or Meech, and maybe keep Lilja if he goes cheap. Aside from that, maybe go after Gonchar or one of the other UFA defensemen.

Chelios retires..... Stuart wins the cup & goes home to San Jose and management gives the young ones more time to acclimate...will Lilja will be re-signed.

Cheli's likely gone (which is sad, considering I only got my jersey for Christmas), so there's a slot to fill. I'd say sign Stuart, fill in with Ericsson or Meech, and maybe keep Lilja if he goes cheap. Aside from that, maybe go after Gonchar or one of the other UFA defensemen.

I hate to see Cheli go...he lends a great leadership and mentoring role to the team. I think it's undeniable that he hasn't played this series much because he looked like such a pylon against Dallas, though. From a toughness standpoint he could probably play the game to age 60 but he is really struggling against team speed.

Rather see Quincey and Meech get a shot. Lilja is not worth keeping, I'd rather re-sign Chelios, at least if he's not playing he brings leadership to the team. Lilja would probably be at Burger King chowing down on some burgers watching the game on a 32" t.v. hanging from the corner of the restaurant.

This definetly wouldn't surprise me. He definetly is a top d man in the league, but he does play a role in the Wings system. (he skates around and makes mistakes while Lids, Rafi, Kronner, and Stuart are resting before their next shift) lol. actually he does block shots, which is a positive thing. Give him 750G's and call it a day.