• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

MississippiWing

About the Octopus In Mellon Arena

Rate this topic

An octopus had to touch the ice at Mellon and I'm glad this guy pulled through for us. After that guy wouldn't allow Wings fans to buy octopi I knew someone was going to step up and show Pittsburgh how passionate we are. :thumbup:

:octo:

Bet the Pens believe in that tradition a little more now. Very Superstitious writin on the wall

Yaa, don't mess with the octopus.

Ask MacLeod about THAT bit of hockey superstition. ha!

I'm so proud to be a Wings fan. Tradition = best fans in the world.

(and yeah, that guy DOES deserve a seat w/ the Illich's for Game 5)

(best thing: he bought the stinky fishy thing at Superior and hauled it to PA. Dedication, dudes)

Isn't this the last ever game at the Mellon Arena?

If so, it serves them right, because their fans are a bunch of whining pansies, who are barely one step above Predators fans when it comes to hockey IQ.

You guys need to give the hockey IQ joke a rest. There are many knowledgable Penguin fans and their passion for their team is clearly evident by how loud Mellon Arena has been in these playoffs. We have had 60+ straight sellouts there now and the waiting list for season tickets is now approaching 2,000 people. Don Cherry called it the loudest arena in the league for game 3. Compare that with The Joe where you can hear a pin drop at times and you had 6 people in line for SCF tickets.

I know Detroit has a very knowledgable fanbase and rabid fans too and has sold out games for the past 10 plus years, but Pittsburgh is not far behind them and deserves more credit for their hockey knowledge overall. Its not easy being down 3-1 and I have a feeling the whining would be at an equal or greater level if our positions in this series were reversed as some of the more rational posters on here have already admitted. It is a natural human reaction to losing.

You guys need to give the hockey IQ joke a rest. There are many knowledgable Penguin fans and their passion for their team is clearly evident by how loud Mellon Arena has been in these playoffs. We have had 60+ straight sellouts there now and the waiting list for season tickets is now approaching 2,000 people. Don Cherry called it the loudest arena in the league for game 3. Compare that with The Joe where you can hear a pin drop at times and you had 6 people in line for SCF tickets.

I know Detroit has a very knowledgable fanbase and rabid fans too and has sold out games for the past 10 plus years, but Pittsburgh is not far behind them and deserves more credit for their hockey knowledge overall. Its not easy being down 3-1 and I have a feeling the whining would be at an equal or greater level if our positions in this series were reversed as some of the more rational posters on here have already admitted. It is a natural human reaction to losing.

I watched a couple of games down here in Walleye Country during con finals with Penguin fans, and they were sooo fun. Yeah, we trash-talked, but we all agreed that a Wings-Pens finals would be awesome. I have large respect for Penguins fans (and I have large respect for Steelers fans: they mourned the loss of the Browns from Cleveland nearly as much as OH did. No rivalry= no fun)

Go Wings! Go Pens (if you CAN go, other tha pressers :hehe:

Gadsby's buddy, Michael Gelorme, 45, of Pittsburgh, disagreed.

"I'm glad they threw him out," Gelorme said. "You can't come in here and throw the octopus."

Perhaps "can't" was a poor choice of word. Believe the word is "can". "Can".

Edited by DaKineMaui

While I'm not getting into an argument about knowledgeable fans (because I agree every fan base has their smart ones), this is completely false. had 6 browsers open on ticketmaster when 12:00 ET hit, and I couldn't get a single pair of tickets. They were sold out in less than a minute.

Just because some corporate suits don't use their season tickets doesn't mean the game isn't sold out, which it has been the entire finals.

While I'm not getting into an argument about knowledgeable fans (because I agree every fan base has their smart ones), this is completely false. had 6 browsers open on ticketmaster when 12:00 ET hit, and I couldn't get a single pair of tickets. They were sold out in less than a minute.

Just because some corporate suits don't use their season tickets doesn't mean the game isn't sold out, which it has been the entire finals.

Well the Detroit pre-sale password ticketmaster was all over the Pens boards/internet/radio and people were buying tickets then like candy. How you didn't hear about that is unexplainable. If Detroit fans wanted tickets to the finals in Detroit it seems like they were easily obtainable, unlike games in Pittsburgh. I understand that this is likely due to winning 3 cups in the last 10 years, but it still exists nonetheless. Can't say the same wouldn't/didn't happen in Pittsburgh after we won 2 cups in 91+92.

The most amazing part of this story, for me, is the fact that a 19-year-old kid pre-emptively shelled out an EXTRA $300 for a spare ticket. That kid must have loaded parents or something.

Regardless, he's an instant legend, and rightfully so.

Zach Smith ROCKS!!! Way to go! Just what our Wings needed!

Let the :octo: fly Monday! Hit a Pens player with it.. make them cry lol... oh wait... they do that all the time without cause.

GO WINGS!!!

:P

Edited by Chelichic

Living 45 minutes from HSBC in Buffalo I know how the whole success thing and a new fan base really works. Before Buffalo made it to the playoffs back to back, you could go up there an hour before the game and pick up tickets anywhere in the arena . Now that they had success, it seems like everyone in western New York is an avid Sabres fan, (makes me sick haha) but my point is that Wings fans, from the two games i have made and the one in Buffalo this year, have been there year after year supporting the team and not just because they have had recent success or a good shot at winning like pitt this year.

Well the Detroit pre-sale password ticketmaster was all over the Pens boards/internet/radio and people were buying tickets then like candy. How you didn't hear about that is unexplainable. If Detroit fans wanted tickets to the finals in Detroit it seems like they were easily obtainable, unlike games in Pittsburgh. I understand that this is likely due to winning 3 cups in the last 10 years, but it still exists nonetheless. Can't say the same wouldn't/didn't happen in Pittsburgh after we won 2 cups in 91+92.

Wings had the highest attendance for last 16 years where pens were struggling to keep a team there. Do you really want to talk about how attendance means the support and passion for a hockey in a city or you want to move on?

Wings had the highest attendance for last 16 years where pens were struggling to keep a team there. Do you really want to talk about how attendance means the support and passion for a hockey in a city or you want to move on?

props to you.

Congratulations; you made a point that had nothing to do with his argument. His point was that the tickets sold out which countered your point that said they weren't sold out. The pre-sale password does nothing to disprove his point. It proves it all the more; the Joe has been sold out. Just because people aren't there, doesn't mean the ticket wasn't sold. The Joe can't resell a ticket if the person doesn't show up.

Plus the pre-sale didn't have all the tickets for sale. Most of the cheaper seats were gone very quickly. Only the most expensive ones were left in the pre-sale. This meant that people had to wait for the tickets to go on sale to get a shot at the cheaper ones.

Congratulations; you made a point that had nothing to do with his argument. His point was that the tickets sold out which countered your point that said they weren't sold out. The pre-sale password does nothing to disprove his point. It proves it all the more; the Joe has been sold out. Just because people aren't there, doesn't mean the ticket wasn't sold. The Joe can't resell a ticket if the person doesn't show up.

Plus the pre-sale didn't have all the tickets for sale. Most of the cheaper seats were gone very quickly. Only the most expensive ones were left in the pre-sale. This meant that people had to wait for the tickets to go on sale to get a shot at the cheaper ones.

Yeah, but what good is it being sold out if a ton of Pens fans are there which is what happened by all accounts. Those tickets should've been bought up by Wings fans, not Pens fans, why weren't they??? The pre-sale tickets did not go that fast at all. I was checking them and there were $200 seats available for quite a while.

As I stated before, I'm not attacking Wings fans for their dedication in the least. I know they've sold out for many, many years now and have great fans that support them. I am defending the Pens and their loyal followers which are being unjustly abused on here.