• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Hank Dats 'N Homer

Crosby post game Q and A

Rate this topic

This is actually a far more balanced objective look at Crosby than most of my fellow Wings fans.

Is Crosby a little immature? Yeah, he's 20 years old. Got some growing up to do. This is what happens when you throw a guy like that into the fire by handing him the captain's C. I don't really disagree with the idea even, but we gotta remember - most 20 year old athletes are in college and have a father figure coach to speak for them and who can set the example when they talk to the media. This 20-year-old athlete has a horrible example for a coach when it comes to press conferences, and he's the captain, so who else can he take an example from?

Of course, I do find his quote about "anybody would have done that on the PK" pretty amusing. Given the time he spends killing penalties (zero), how would he know?

I am NOT a Pen-Goons fan. But, what else do you expect Cindy to say? "Gee, they really handed us our asses tonight and we folded under the pressure in the beginning of the third period and then panicked at the end of the game. That Zetterberg sure is an awesome player for kicking my ass!"

Cindy and Michelle are rationalizing their team's subpar play in the face of enormous odds from a hungry Wings team. Of course he's going to skip everything negative to the 'Goons and everything positive from the Wings in a flippant manner or act like it's no big thing because he is the captain of the team and he's under a lot of pressure to play better than he is. He has to downplay the obvious for his team's sake.

Cindy and the rest of the 'Goons will learn....especially after tomorrow night (or soon) when Babs and the rest of the Wing's are dancing around the rink with the Cup hoisted over their heads.

Let the Pen-goons and their fans talk (or blow it all off) all they want.

I bet Babs smiles quietly to himself...his players (who are not immature enough to need to be told) knoe to just compliment the losing team...tell the press what a great team/player the other side is...whoever it is...and march on.

Thank God our Wings are a team of professionals...they let their actions do that talking.

Edited by SoDakWingNut

Garbage. Irrelevant. Who cares what word you want to use. I like garbage because it sounds more meaningless which was my point in this argument. If you want to use irrelevant be my guest, although I understand the distinction between the two if you want to get technical.

I refer to empty net goals all the time as garbage goals as do many other hockey fans.

So by this you are saying that by chance, if your Pens were up 2-1 in a game, and we pulled Ozzie to try to tie it up in the last minute, and the Pens scored an empty net goal it would be garbage? If we were peppering the hell out of Fleury with shots and your guys were able to get it out of the zone and put it in, therefore sealing the game for you, you would be jumping in the air screaming, like the rest of us fans celebrating that your team had the game in hand for sure, whether it was a one goal game or 2+. I highly doubt you would be getting pissed at your team for doing such and calling their goal garbage.

I fail to see how any empty net goal is referred to as garbage, irrelevant yes, but garbage no. All empty net goals (being relevant or not) is simply helping "seal the deal".

As for Sid, I can't deny his talent, I feel he will be a great player in the future. But as of now, we all saw his reaction after the loss when we went to "talk" to Z. No point in it what-so-ever. I feel if he is wearing the C for that team, he needs to think and act like a captain, regardless of any age. Otherwise the Pens need to think about placing someone else with the C and showing him the ropes of leading a good proper way.

I have to agree with PaVel DaTsYuK fan13 and RockyMountainWingGal as well, I really hope he does give credit when (and I truely believe they will, but anything can happen) the Wings hoist the cup again. Because if he doesn't recognize losing to a better team and giving credit where its due, I feel it makes almost every negative comment about him in this thread all the more true.

Crosby will be great in the future, IF he can learn to change his game and mature.

And this series isn't over yet. I've been really excited, but how many times have we gotten excited only to have Nashville and Dallas steal a game or two?

I really really hope we win tomorrow, more than I've wanted them to win all year. I AM confident we'll win the series but I really want to see it won on home ice, so they really need to win this game tomorrow!

HaHa. You got me there. Makes it even more garbage/irrelevant.

Garbage. Irrelevant. Who cares what word you want to use. I like garbage because it sounds more meaningless which was my point in this argument. If you want to use irrelevant be my guest, although I understand the distinction between the two if you want to get technical.

I refer to empty net goals all the time as garbage goals as do many other hockey fans.

Use any word you want...as long as you know you were wrong than its fine by me...

So by this you are saying that by chance, if your Pens were up 2-1 in a game, and we pulled Ozzie to try to tie it up in the last minute, and the Pens scored an empty net goal it would be garbage? If we were peppering the hell out of Fleury with shots and your guys were able to get it out of the zone and put it in, therefore sealing the game for you, you would be jumping in the air screaming, like the rest of us fans celebrating that your team had the game in hand for sure, whether it was a one goal game or 2+. I highly doubt you would be getting pissed at your team for doing such and calling their goal garbage.

I fail to see how any empty net goal is referred to as garbage, irrelevant yes, but garbage no. All empty net goals (being relevant or not) is simply helping "seal the deal".

Any goal scored with a 2 goal lead or bigger in the final minute of play is definately garbage in my book. An empty netter up by only 1 is more important for sealing the deal as you state, but still garbage in terms of WHO scored it since the net is left undefended.

As for Sid, I can't deny his talent, I feel he will be a great player in the future. But as of now, we all saw his reaction after the loss when we went to "talk" to Z. No point in it what-so-ever. I feel if he is wearing the C for that team, he needs to think and act like a captain, regardless of any age. Otherwise the Pens need to think about placing someone else with the C and showing him the ropes of leading a good proper way.

I have to agree with PaVel DaTsYuK fan13 and RockyMountainWingGal as well, I really hope he does give credit when (and I truely believe they will, but anything can happen) the Wings hoist the cup again. Because if he doesn't recognize losing to a better team and giving credit where its due, I feel it makes almost every negative comment about him in this thread all the more true.

I was against giving Crosby the Captaincy this year as well considering how young he was, but its hard to argue with the job he's done leading his team to the SCF in only his 3rd year in the league. I don't really know what if anything was said to Z at the end of the game so I can't comment on its relevance. Maybe it looked bad but I'd say that kind of thing happens a lot in this league. Sid is a fiesty guy and hates to lose, so maybe he was just letting off a little steam there. As for whether he will give credit to Detroit at the end I can almost guarantee that, although for Wing fans I'm not sure why they give a damn anyways what happens since raising the Cup means everything compared to what Crosby thinks of his opponent after its all over.

And just to let everyone know too, take a big guess what the quotes were from Sidney and the entire Pens team when we were steamrolling our way to the finals on the winning side of every game....exactly the same credit giving as Detroit players and coaches give to the Pens right now, big surprise. It is infinitely easier to give credit and accolades to your opponent when your on the winning side than vice versa, just keep that in mind when you want to micro-analyze every little quote coming out of the players mouths.

I was against giving Crosby the Captaincy this year as well considering how young he was, but its hard to argue with the job he's done leading his team to the SCF in only his 3rd year in the league.

Naw we gave Yzerman the Captaincy when he was young. Sid will grow into it. And as much as people here are microanalyzing every word he's said, he really hasn't said anything that egregious. Let's see how he reacts when the series is over (perhaps in less than 24 h??). My money's on that he'll act like an adult and shake everyone's hand and congratulate them (whether that's tomorrow or later this week...).

Crosby has been giving interviews since he was 10 years old and almost never says the wrong thing, never, not once.

Is it "almost never" or is it "not once?" Helps your point if you don't contradict yourself ace.

I was against giving Crosby the Captaincy this year as well considering how young he was, but its hard to argue with the job he's done leading his team to the SCF in only his 3rd year in the league.

A one legged midget could have lead Pitt to the Finals with how much of a joke the Eastern Conference was this year.

Any goal scored with a 2 goal lead or bigger in the final minute of play is definately garbage in my book. An empty netter up by only 1 is more important for sealing the deal as you state, but still garbage in terms of WHO scored it since the net is left undefended.

Perhaps the "who" you refer it is the big name players, maybe you'll stop to think that they are actually the only ones able to get a shot down to the other end to get it in that very empty net. Not garbage based on a 1 goal game. Just by this Ill take it if Sid gets an empty net goal to go up by 2 and seal the game that his goal is garbage because he didnt sit on his butt, being outnumbered and wait for one of his "lesser known" team-mates get open so THEY could get the empty net and have it not garbage? I'm finding this more comical that you are changing what you say as this thread goes along. If you're going to say something, either stick by it or admit that you are wrong/made a mistake and move on.

I think what is most pathetic is the actual critism towards Crosby for his post game comments.

Have we really gotten to the point that we can't find anything on the ice to complain about when it comes to Crosby so we are going to look at what he says during press conferences and just wait for one small thing said wrong and then jump on him?

For the record, I hadn't seen the comments, but went looking and found video of it and didn't see anything out of the ordinary. He suggested Zetterberg made a great play on him and went on to say that he didn't do anything else that another player in that role wouldn't have done. To be honest, I can't say I disagree. The play on Sid was excellent, but other than that, he wasn't superhuman out there. That is not a critism, just reality. Did he play excellent on the penalty kill? Yes. Was his play during that penalty kill (aside from the play on Crosby) so good that it should be the talk of the game? No.

Are we really bashing on Crosby now because he isn't drooling over the talented Wings' players. Are we seriously doing this?

What do you expect someone, who just lost a game to go down 3-1 in a series, to say? Why the hell should he start throwing compliments about the other team, if he was doing that, I would probably bash him because that's not what the captain of a team should be doing....at that point in time. I thought he was very focused, acknowledged a great play and not much else, WITHOUT BEING DISRESPECTFUL. I think it was a supid question to ask to be honest with you.

I think what is most pathetic is the actual critism towards Crosby for his post game comments.

Have we really gotten to the point that we can't find anything on the ice to complain about when it comes to Crosby so we are going to look at what he says during press conferences and just wait for one small thing said wrong and then jump on him?

For the record, I hadn't seen the comments, but went looking and found video of it and didn't see anything out of the ordinary. He suggested Zetterberg made a great play on him and went on to say that he didn't do anything else that another player in that role wouldn't have done. To be honest, I can't say I disagree. The play on Sid was excellent, but other than that, he wasn't superhuman out there. That is not a critism, just reality. Did he play excellent on the penalty kill? Yes. Was his play during that penalty kill (aside from the play on Crosby) so good that it should be the talk of the game? No.

Are we really bashing on Crosby now because he isn't drooling over the talented Wings' players. Are we seriously doing this?

What do you expect someone, who just lost a game to go down 3-1 in a series, to say? Why the hell should he start throwing compliments about the other team, if he was doing that, I would probably bash him because that's not what the captain of a team should be doing....at that point in time. I thought he was very focused, acknowledged a great play and not much else, WITHOUT BEING DISRESPECTFUL. I think it was a supid question to ask to be honest with you.

I, for one, don't give a damn what's said post game and I don't expect any player to drool over the opposition during a presser.

That being said, I am going to enjoy immensely watching this whinny, over-hyped golden boy primadonna go down tonight.

Also, if Zetterberg's play during that penalty kill (aside from the play on Crosby) wasn't so good that it should be the talk of the game, then why was just about every analyst saying it was? While the Wings' entire effort during that kill was a beautiful thing to watch, it was Z who set the tone for it.

I haven't heard his comments and it's hard to judge someone's intent by reading comments online. However, I've lost respect because he is constantly whining on the ice. I understand that once in a while a complaint should be made. But it seems like every single time they show a close up of him (which is about every 30 seconds) he has a whiny look on his face or he is complaining to the refs, etc... That's the face of the nhl? He needs to grow up a little, imo.

Edited by therock48880

Crosby will be giving props to the wings from his basement of the house that he bought his mommy tomorrow morning while playing EA NHL 08 taking the his glory team to hoist the cup only in a video game.

:champs:

Seriously now, who cares what he says, I don't know about most of you folks, but not only did I have no respect and said and did stupid things at the young age of 20. Only I didn't have the 8.7 million to play with when I did.

I haven't heard his comments and it's hard to judge someone's intent by reading comments online. However, I've lost respect because he is constantly whining on the ice. I understand that once in a while a complaint should be made. But it seems like every single time they show a close up of him (which is about every 30 seconds) he has a whiny look on his face or he is complaining to the refs, etc... That's the face of the nhl? He needs to grow up a little, imo.

Has it been so long that none of us remember how Gretzky or Lemieux acted in their playing days? Or even other great like Phil Esposito?

Wayne and Mario used to pour whine from their mouths each and every shift they didn't score. Lemieux once referred to the NHL as a 'garbage league' for it's lack of quality officiating.

These players have been whacked and hacked since they put skates on. And now, this 20-year-old, who's been asked to put the NHL on his young shoulders, AND lead a very young Pittsburgh team to victory is expected to act like a 20-year vet when he IS getting whacked and hacked? Please.

I've really had enough of the Crosby bashing here. Yes, he's whining about not winning. And maybe he's going to have to grow up a bit in order to acheive the respect of such dignitaries as the LGW forum members.

But we all need to remember that not every young superstar is Steve Yzerman. Heck, Wayne and Mario could have learned a thing or two about tact and humility from #19. That still doesn't mean that Wayne and Mario weren't, arguably, the greatest offensive weapons this game has ever seen.

Crosby will mature. How about we all enjoy the 3-1 series lead and possibly a 4th cup in 11th year instead of worrying about how a 20-year-old is reacting to getting stonewalled in the biggest series of his life.

Geez, people here BLOW UP if a call is missed on Filpulla in pre-season and this kid isn't allowed to pipe off from his raw emotions. At least he has them. Most of the other Pens look like they can't wait to start their golf tours.

Seriously now, who cares what he says, I don't know about most of you folks, but not only did I have no respect and said and did stupid things at the young age of 20. Only I didn't have the 8.7 million to play with when I did.

Well said.

Like I've mentioned a few times already, we have grown adults (some of whom have procreated) on these boards that whine and ***** over the stupidest things and yet these same people expect a young kid, with the most pressure of any player in the league, to act like Ghandi when he's losing the most important games of his, or any NHL players career.

I'd LOVE to see how some of the members here would be acting in his place. Judging by some of the crying over non-calls in September, I'm thinking suicide.

Has it been so long that none of us remember how Gretzky or Lemieux acted in their playing days? Or even other great like Phil Esposito?

Wayne and Mario used to pour whine from their mouths each and every shift they didn't score. Lemieux once referred to the NHL as a 'garbage league' for it's lack of quality officiating.

These players have been whacked and hacked since they put skates on. And now, this 20-year-old, who's been asked to put the NHL on his young shoulders, AND lead a very young Pittsburgh team to victory is expected to act like a 20-year vet when he IS getting whacked and hacked? Please.

I've really had enough of the Crosby bashing here. Yes, he's whining about not winning. And maybe he's going to have to grow up a bit in order to acheive the respect of such dignitaries as the LGW forum members.

But we all need to remember that not every young superstar is Steve Yzerman. Heck, Wayne and Mario could have learned a thing or two about tact and humility from #19. That still doesn't mean that Wayne and Mario weren't, arguably, the greatest offensive weapons this game has ever seen.

Crosby will mature. How about we all enjoy the 3-1 series lead and possibly a 4th cup in 11th year instead of worrying about how a 20-year-old is reacting to getting stonewalled in the biggest series of his life.

Geez, people here BLOW UP if a call is missed on Filpulla in pre-season and this kid isn't allowed to pipe off from his raw emotions. At least he has them. Most of the other Pens look like they can't wait to start their golf tours.

Yzerman whined quite a bit actually, and not just as a youngster, I think most captains whine. That said, I haven't seen all this whining from Crosby during the finals that others seem to see every time a camera is on him (which I think they are just spewing BS).

I have been watching some games and see something occasionally that a Wings's player does (be it whining or a dive, etc.) and I think to myself, "I'm glad that wasn't Crosby, because if it was, there would be an entire thread or 2 on here talking about it." Fact is, the things people complain about that Crosby does are nowhere near out of the ordinary. The things he does, 100% of the players in the league does, people just criticize Crosby for it because of who he is. Can you even imagine what he has to deal with on a daily basis....at his age?

Yzerman whined quite a bit actually, and not just as a youngster, I think most captains whine. That said, I haven't seen all this whining from Crosby during the finals that others seem to see every time a camera is on him (which I think they are just spewing BS).

I have been watching some games and see something occasionally that a Wings's player does (be it whining or a dive, etc.) and I think to myself, "I'm glad that wasn't Crosby, because if it was, there would be an entire thread or 2 on here talking about it." Fact is, the things people complain about that Crosby does are nowhere near out of the ordinary. The things he does, 100% of the players in the league does, people just criticize Crosby for it because of who he is. Can you even imagine what he has to deal with on a daily basis....at his age?

I honestly can't even begin to fathom it.

I know how I was at 20-years-old. I remember losing my mind during uselss, meaningless softball games, let alone playing in the NHL.

It already sounds like most people have made up their minds about #87, but if anyone still has an open mind, read the book " The Rookie: A Season with Sidney Crosby and the New NHL".

It gives an excellent look into the life of Crosby and what he deals with on a daily basis. The amount of patience and humbleness he exudes despite all the extractions and commitments is exhasperating. The kid is unreal in how he has dealt with unrealistic expecations and pressures. And he's been doing this since he was 13-years-old.

It kind of saddens me that so many people would rather focus in on the flashes of immaturity he displays rather than enjoy the skill he clearly has.

Soon he'll be 35 and on his way out of the league and so many bitter, jealous fans will have missed out on one of the greater players to strap on the blades.

Having the centre Ice package I've had the pleasure of watching a lot of his games. The vision and skill this kid has is second-to-none in the NHL. I'm still pissed we missed out on him in the 2005 lottery draft.

It has nothing to do with the fact that hes not "Drooling over the talented Wings' players". I simply think that its pathetic that a star like crosby cant give credit where credit is due. Every announcer, sports analyst, hockey expert, and hockey fan saw just how special Z's PK was. I think just because Z made great plays on Crosby and made him look foolish that he chose to say that Z didnt do anything out of the ordinary to make himself feel better about being shut down. Then there was the fact that he cried about obstruction on that PK. I dont want to get into a figt with you about anything, im just saying, i think a captain should show a little more respect for great plays. Captains like Lids and Yzerman and Sakic, they always gave credit for a good play. It just seems to me that Crosby doesnt take into account any other player on the ice. It seems to me that if he loses a game or doesnt score on a play that its becuse HE didnt play hard enough, rather than the fact that he was out played. It seems to me that he has bought into the fact that he is the greatest player on the ice at all times and that games are up to him whether he wins or loses and the other team and its players are not a factor at all.

It has nothing to do with the fact that hes not "Drooling over the talented Wings' players". I simply think that its pathetic that a star like crosby cant give credit where credit is due. Every announcer, sports analyst, hockey expert, and hockey fan saw just how special Z's PK was. I think just because Z made great plays on Crosby and made him look foolish that he chose to say that Z didnt do anything out of the ordinary to make himself feel better about being shut down. Then there was the fact that he cried about obstruction on that PK. I dont want to get into a figt with you about anything, im just saying, i think a captain should show a little more respect for great plays. Captains like Lids and Yzerman and Sakic, they always gave credit for a good play. It just seems to me that Crosby doesnt take into account any other player on the ice. It seems to me that if he loses a game or doesnt score on a play that its becuse HE didnt play hard enough, rather than the fact that he was out played. It seems to me that he has bought into the fact that he is the greatest player on the ice at all times and that games are up to him whether he wins or loses and the other team and its players are not a factor at all.

He did give credit to the great play. I stopped listening after the discussion on Zetterberg, so didn't hear the so called whining about obstruction, but that' s a different discussion anyway.

I'd like to see some examples from Lids, Yzerman and Sakic where they are giving credit where credit is due anymore than Crosby did immediately after losing game 4 in the Finals to go down 3-1 in the series.

Yzerman whined? He talked to the refs quite often, which is the captain's job. I don't blame Crosby for that either. However, when you look like you may break down and cry, that's called whining. I also don't recall Yzerman complaining to the press. Yzerman, always gave credit to other players, teams, etc.. even at the age of 20. I don't know, I guess I'm just tired of hearing "Crosby this, Crosby that". Right on cue, Melrose was just on ESPN talking about Crosby. Sigh....

He did give credit to the great play. I stopped listening after the discussion on Zetterberg, so didn't hear the so called whining about obstruction, but that' s a different discussion anyway.

I'd like to see some examples from Lids, Yzerman and Sakic where they are giving credit where credit is due anymore than Crosby did immediately after losing game 4 in the Finals to go down 3-1 in the series.

Not to jump in where I don't belong, just listen to the press conferences after the game 4 win.

Lids, Zetterberg, Draper, Ozzie, et all were praising the Pens and their play.

To expand upon that thought, Ozzie complimented Hossa, saying that it takes world class hands to make that play. The wings have even complimented Malkin who has been near invisible this series.

Now Crosby may or may not have said that Z is a good player, however what is certain is he downplayed that particular play in a way that makes him appear to have little class (which is fine if you are not the captain) and to be disrespectful of what Z is doing to him. Most players slumping when they have been shut down by a particular player or line would say so, not the Pens, Malkin's tired, the wings are obstructing, Sidney is interfered with on every play, blah blah blah I said this before and until Sid learns it the Stanley cup will be hard for him to reach, but

There are no excuses in playoff hockey just wins and losses!

Edited by Opie

He suggested Zetterberg made a great play on him and went on to say that he didn't do anything else that another player in that role wouldn't have done. To be honest, I can't say I disagree. The play on Sid was excellent, but other than that, he wasn't superhuman out there. That is not a critism, just reality. Did he play excellent on the penalty kill? Yes. Was his play during that penalty kill (aside from the play on Crosby) so good that it should be the talk of the game? No.

Actually, most of the press corps was making it the talk of the game. In fact, his effort on that PK was being touted as the kind of thing that's symbolic of what players need to do to win the Stanley Cup.

It wasn't the worst thing anyone ever said, I agree, but let's not kid ourselves; it was meant to take away from what Zetterberg did, which is kind of lame.

Zetterberg makes a great play back door to tie up Sidney Crosby, who would have buried that puck 100% of the time. When you kill off something like that, it helps your team and you can build around that.

The thing that annoys me is that Crosby never plays on the penalty kill so how would he know which plays are ordinary and which are great.